Old 04-28-2012, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobe8byrant View Post
And can anyone tell me why is the mid-credits scene so exciting for comic book fans? What is so remarkable about what the character says?
Spoiler:
Thanos used to be the most badass villain in the history of the Marvel universe. He loves Death and well it might sound strange for a non comicbook reader, but in the Marvel universe Death is represented as a person, a woman. So he actually is in love with Death. In order to woo her he went on a quest to become omnipotent and managed to kill half the universe.

So when the alien dude says fighting the Avengers is like courting death he smiles like a sonovabitch, because while the alien dude means it figuratively, Thanos takes it literally.

There is a really comprehensive site about him here: http://www.corvusonline.net/thanos/
Old 04-28-2012, 06:15 PM
Went in with low expectations and came out of it with the same feeling ..if it wasnt for the hulk it would have been a pretty boring movie imo.`The whole scene in the ship was boring imo , save a few funny jokes by Tony Starks and the fight with Thor and The Hulk...it`s a movie that you know who is going to come out on top , which makes it less fun.

6 out of 10

Last edited by CuatroDiablos; 05-03-2012 at 08:43 AM..
Old 04-28-2012, 08:44 PM
Yes, all the critics are raving about this movie but I really like the take of intelligent yet geek friendly guys like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5KuJ...eature=related

it is spoiler free.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChar4321 View Post
A big question... I've read there's a mid-credit scene but is there ALSO something after all the credits as well??? PLEASE don't say what the scene(s) are but WHEN they happen. Thanks in advance.
No, there is no mid credits scene, just about a 45 second scene following the credits
Old 04-29-2012, 11:49 AM
To anybody that has seen The Avengers, was the 3rd trailer for The Dark Knight Rises attached to it?

OT: 2,000 post! It only took me 6 years! I need to have a celebratory beer! Cant wait to check this out next weekend!
Old 04-29-2012, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectRatio1986 View Post
To anybody that has seen The Avengers, was the 3rd trailer for The Dark Knight Rises attached to it?

OT: 2,000 post! It only took me 6 years! I need to have a celebratory beer! Cant wait to check this out next weekend!
I don't know if the TDKR trailer has been attached in foreign markets, but it has been reported to be attached to the US release when it opens next week.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:19 PM
Okay cool thanks.

Another question, I didn't do much research. Was this shot with IMAX cameras at all, and will hit the help with the theater experience seeing this in IMAX 3D or not? I was planning on going to a regular 2D showing considering they post converted this to 3D.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Well done Whedon , well done !

Usually , being as hyped as I was before going in usually only leads to a feeling of deception. I'm glad The Avengers really did live up to the hype.

There's a couple of reasons for that:

- The fact that Thor-Ironman-Hulk & Captain America already had their own origin story movies helps the story get to the point. I mean the table was set before the movie begins so it starts with a bang and almost never let go. IF DC wants to do the same , they gotta start blending Justice League in their next Batman,Superman,Green Lantern reboot and make a good movie with Flash and Wonder Woman.

- No one is left behind. Each character shines and brings to the story. That's a feat with so many heroes. I was happy that Black Widow plays a huge role.

- The tension in the team is credible. Black Widow VS Hulk , Thor VS Ironman , Thor VS Hulk ( sucker punch FTW ) , Captain America VS Ironman. Every angle is addressed.

- Lots of humor. Basically 50% of that is Robert Downey Jr as Ironman (probably the best casting in all superhero movies with Hugh Jackman as Wolverine) but the point is that with all the actions , the movie tries not to take itself too seriously.

Spoiler:
Hulk moping the floor with Loki was hilarious

- 220M$ budget feels like a 500M$ budget .... so much destruction , fight scenes and FX . You know they made good on the budget.

- Lots of "blink and you'll miss it" cool stuff. Whedon really had the fans in mind when he made the movie and it's one of the rare movie i'll actually see again while in theater.
Spoiler:
like Ironman shooting his beam off the Captain's shield to kill a Chitari soldier

- My surprise of the movie : Colbie Smulders as Agent Maria Hill. I mostly know her as Robin from How I Met Your Mother. Well this is a really different role for her and i really believed her "loyal & driven" S.H.I.E.L.D operative role. She reminded me of Astrid in Fringe. Also , the jeep scene was nice.

My only concerns is for people who have not seen any the "pre-team" movies. Well at least the ones who didn't see Thor since that's the movie that explains Loki's backstory.

9/10

and btw , this is my favorite poster!

Old 04-29-2012, 11:00 PM
I'll add 1 unrelated comment : The Avengers is what the 1st The Expandables should have been.

btw , ScarJo's haircut in the movie is at the neck , no middle back like in the poster
Old 04-30-2012, 01:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectRatio1986 View Post
Gratz, dude. Hope you enjoy The Avengers. I'm going for my 2nd screening tomorrow. At a bigger cinema.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog View Post
btw , ScarJo's haircut in the movie is at the neck , no middle back like in the poster
because that poster isn't a real poster. It's fan made and that's why Captain America's costume is wrong, Hawkeye's costume is wrong, the Hulk is wrong and yes Black Widow's hair is also wrong
Old 04-30-2012, 04:08 PM
What is with all the bad fake posters for this movie?
Old 04-30-2012, 04:31 PM
Fanboys with no talent and too much time on their hands? Not the hardest thing to believe
Old 04-30-2012, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
Fanboys with no talent and too much time on their hands? Not the hardest thing to believe
Indeed, they just don't usually get posted in threads here. They are hurting my eyes!
Old 04-30-2012, 10:49 PM
I did get entertained when I saw this movie. I am planning to see this movie again. The Hulk as the centerpiece was a brilliant idea!

My website: Köpa Silver
Old 05-01-2012, 12:02 PM
Mark Ruffalo drops MAJOR news on The Hulk - http://bit.ly/IjuEJm
Old 05-01-2012, 02:17 PM
For those that saw The Avengers already, and those going this weekend - read this about Ruffalo turning into and playing the Hulk from a few weeks ago - http://bit.ly/fhOvwA
Old 05-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Quick question. I am going to go see this on Friday at the 12:30 showing. Including any trailers and waiting to the end of the credits to see any extra footage, how long will I be in the theater (estimated)? I have to pick my daughter up at the bus stop at 4pm. I need no more than 15 mins to drive from the theater to the bus stop so I would need to be ready to walk out of the theater by right at 3:30. Is this possible? Not sure of the run time and waiting for the extras and all I wanted to make sure I could do it or not before buying tickets.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:30 PM
you'll be fine with 3:30
Old 05-01-2012, 10:47 PM
The Avengers

SPOILER WARNING!

Yep I'm using the original US title for the film and not the lame Euro version 'Avengers Assemble' which sounds like a cartoon, all because the powers that be seem to think we're all dumb enough to mistake this new film with another rather old TV series and its mega budget flop film counterpart. Deal with it.

So lets do this thing...the first MEGA blockbuster of the year, how does it fare you ask, well its pretty good says I, not quite as GOOD as I have been led to believe (hyper hype) but its good.

We all know the score so why review it, the 'backup' films to this entry were all solid to great films with most having their favourites, my personal fav is easily the Iron Man films. So with all the guys together for the first time the film does start at a slow pace...for quite some time its gotta be said, I was getting a little twitchy in my seat. Allot of dialog and pacing around very metallic looking military facilities with a whole load of comicbook sci-fi jargon I really don't understand haha. The team are introduced one by one and things feel familiar a they should, a quick bit of action from Black Widow doesn't help though as it looks tacky and stupid in a Milla Jovovich type of way.

Honestly the film didn't really kick into gear for me until we get our first Hulk moment on board that huge flying aircraft carrier thingy (a bit too G.I.Joe there?), this is our first team action and its good, its very good everyone looks good and the action is sharp, slick and clear.
For me the whole film is all about certain characters and how they come across in battle, in general all the team battles in this film are really very good, as said by many all the characters get their time to shine and no one is left in the cold but clearly some characters just work so much better.

The finale is a firestorm of cgi action and really does blow your balls off with non-stop Avenger ass kicking, its not even hard to follow either, you can see what's happening and there's no silly shaky camera to make you ill, its all precise. Best action from a character goes to Hulk for me with some earth shatteringly pumped destruction going on, they really nailed him good in this one, of course Iron Man gets second spot. The cgi overall is excellent but its not like we haven't seen this kind of thing before though its hardly ground breaking but it looks way better than the 'X-Men' 'Spider Man' 'Fantastic 4' films, I also liked the huge flying alien metallic dragon things, some nice design work there, the alien soldiers didn't look much (never got a good look really) but those big space dragons were ultra cool.

For me its all about Iron Man, easily the best character in the team, he looks fudging sweet, has great tech, the cgi looks best with him and Downey Jr is by far the best thing about this film. The guy carries the film when there is dialog with his witty comments and subtle sarcasm, the other players can't seem to put across the right angle, Ruffalo and Hiddleston are probably the best of the rest with Hiddleston giving Loki a slightly 'Joker-ish' play with his wry smiles.

As for the superheroes well they all look spotless, Iron Man as I said is my personal best and looks awesome, Hulk is a close second looking the best he's ever been here and actually appearing like Ruffalo facially so you can actually believe he transformed into this green monster, Loki hasn't changed much from 'Thor' and looks good whilst Thor also stays pretty much the same and looks fine. Now this is where I get picky folks, Black Widow (Johansson) looks sexy, a nice tight ass shot whilst she speaks with an incarcerated Loki I enjoyed muchly, but in this day and age her look simply doesn't cut the mustard anymore, its been done soooooo many times you think she could have been plucked from any number of films.
Captain America...what the hell did they do to his suit!? it was fine in his first film so why make it look so childish looking for this!? the hood part looks dreadful, thought so when I first saw pics of it. We all know of Fury so this leaves Hawkeye, probably the dullest looking character, I didn't like him.

Some niggles do come to mind, I wouldn't say its totally perfect but these maybe my own personal niggles hehe. Its clear Black Widow and Hawkeye are the weak litter in this film, neither really do a great deal and neither really look all that much to be honest, very dull. Hawkeye just seems like a silly character to use for this day and age, I know he's part of the original team but come on the guy runs around using a bow n arrow for Christs sake haha guns, guns, guns, knives, other worldly powers and super strength and this guy fires arrows! kinda funny really.
Plus he seems to be able to hit targets from high up without any consideration for weather, range, trajectory, altitude etc...it also takes him along time to actually run out, am I looking into this too much?.
Black Widow just doesn't really fit in the team for me, sure she's sexy and can fight but she carries two small handguns and that just comes across as rather pathetic in the midst of all out superhero war, like bringing a water pistol to a knife fight.

The other thing was Loki and his alien buddies, I presume Loki's exile was him falling into that abyss at the end of 'Thor'? how did he meet that alien race? how did he get to earth through the portal or get to the portal? and why does he even want to rule Earth? what does he get out of it?
I must also ask what the 'Chitauri' are exactly, when Iron Man downs the big mothership they all just drop, so are they robotic? or somehow connected to a central brain or something?. Trivial but hey that's how I roll.

So yes this film is very good and probably the best its gonna get for superhero team flicks and even superhero flicks to a degree, and when I say superhero flicks I mean superheroes which involve magic, sorcery, space, aliens etc...Batman, Blade, Punisher etc...are different beasts. I still wasn't blown away completely I must admit but for an eye popping mindless comicbook adaptation you can't really get much better, it does what its suppose to do with good cgi, good humour and great continuity from the previous films. Definitely a one off and historical moment as we get the first real superhero team movie, I can't see 'Justice League' topping it.

Ps. No need to stay right to the end of the credits, but don't leave straight away
Old 05-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobe8byrant View Post
And can anyone tell me why is the mid-credits scene so exciting for comic book fans? What is so remarkable about what the character says?
Spoiler:
Herald's answer is a pretty good one, to which, I would just add this: comic book fans have been going crazy with anticipation that Thanos would make an appearance in an Avengers movie. Why? Because of this:

In the movie Thor, which came out last year, That glove was shown in Odin's hall in Asgard (it was an easter egg), that greatly opened up the possibility that Thanos would be in a film, and in an Avengers film, because:

The infinity gauntlet is Thanos' most famous story. Thanos with that Gauntlet, stolen from Asgard is A) something Thor would look into and B) a threat that is clearly one of a scale big enough that no super-hero could handle it alone. The fact that its been in a movie already opens up the possibility for Thanos, and, as Herald indicated, he's also one of the absolutely most bad-ass villians in comics, so there's that too.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:29 AM
100% PUMPED for this! Ive enjoyed all the Marvel heros movies and this has me drooling! Gonna see it Saturday early so the 3d ticket price is cheaper before noon
Old 05-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Apparently for the US release a scene has indeed been added to the END of the credits.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth and Marvel Studios President Kevin Fiege talk The Avengers movie, Black Widow stand alone film and Ant-Man - http://bit.ly/JD4GUO

Last edited by P1NSTR1PEZ; 05-02-2012 at 12:13 PM..
Old 05-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Awesome, awesome movie. Trust the word-of-mouth, guys, the summer begins with a loud BANG!! 9/10 (probably higher with a second viewing)
Old 05-02-2012, 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbs View Post
Definitely a one off and historical moment as we get the first real superhero team movie, I can't see 'Justice League' topping it.
Justice League can't top this since The Avengers was a carefully planned movie since the day they started the 1st Ironman.

IF ... and i say IF , the new Batman got a end-credit scene trying to gang-up all the DC hero , they may have a shot... else we'll have to wait for the next reboot. So yeah , don't hold your breath. JL not happening in the next 5 years at least.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Justice League can't top this since The Avengers was a carefully planned movie since the day they started the 1st Ironman.

IF ... and i say IF , the new Batman got a end-credit scene trying to gang-up all the DC hero , they may have a shot... else we'll have to wait for the next reboot. So yeah , don't hold your breath. JL not happening in the next 5 years at least.
It's possible for the Justice League to top The Avengers, it doesn't require a movie with a group of superheroes teaming up to have their own separate films prior to them meeting up, though, it does help audiences introduce the characters. I think if and when we get a Justice League movie it should be at a point where Nolan's Batman has long be done with, Snyder's Superman has at least a sequel or two, Green Lantern gets another shot, and Wonder Woman is introduced. I think it could be a very character driven film, something DC desperately needs as opposed to solely relying on Batman and Superman every three years or so.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:46 PM
I never said JL can't top Avengers because they might .... eventually.

My point is that if they (DC) hope to top it , they better get their ass straight soon.

Avengers took a lot of time in the making , setting all the heroes in their origin story movie and end-credit tie-in. If DC wants a go for Justice League , they better start working now to blend their movies together. And stop giving us Superman/Batman reboot .... need at least a Flash and a Wonder Woman movie ( Green Lantern was terrible and Chris Nolan's Batman was excellent but neither are aiming for a JL reunion )

I'm still holding my "forget about it for 5 years" theory !

PS. Smallville was the best set-up they could have to make a JL movie , they didn't use that opportunity ( the guy doing Green Arrow was great )

Last edited by Dirtyfrog; 05-02-2012 at 11:51 PM..
Old 05-03-2012, 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel_montes View Post
Awesome, awesome movie. Trust the word-of-mouth, guys, the summer begins with a loud BANG!! 9/10 (probably higher with a second viewing)
Word of mouth is going to propel this film to heights even I didn't dream of. The reaction has been absolutely remarkable.

Factoring out the Nolanite blind fear filled hate on some sites isn't very tricky and it's easy to gage real reaction.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:46 AM
Hope the ppl that are going to the midnight screenings have a blast and everyone else enjoys the movie! Can't wait til this weekend!
Old 05-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Avengers at Midnight

Cool cartoon I found about some dudez at The Avengers premiere.

http://youtu.be/qsONSCKOCrw
Old 05-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Quote:
I never said JL can't top Avengers because they might .... eventually.

My point is that if they (DC) hope to top it , they better get their ass straight soon.

Avengers took a lot of time in the making , setting all the heroes in their origin story movie and end-credit tie-in. If DC wants a go for Justice League , they better start working now to blend their movies together. And stop giving us Superman/Batman reboot .... need at least a Flash and a Wonder Woman movie ( Green Lantern was terrible and Chris Nolan's Batman was excellent but neither are aiming for a JL reunion )

I'm still holding my "forget about it for 5 years" theory !

PS. Smallville was the best set-up they could have to make a JL movie , they didn't use that opportunity ( the guy doing Green Arrow was great )
I agree, DC has to get their act together if they do indeed wish to make a Justice League movie, but I have to disagree with a Flash movie. He just isn't an interesting character, and I can't see him selling really well. I think the best option for DC would be to do a Batman/Superman team-up then proceed from there. That way, you get people excited about a DC match-up.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
... I have to disagree with a Flash movie. He just isn't an interesting character, and I can't see him selling really well. I think the best option for DC would be to do a Batman/Superman team-up then proceed from there. That way, you get people excited about a DC match-up.
Agreed that the Flash isn't super interesting on its own but the remaining possibilities are way worst for a stand alone movie : Aquaman or Martian Manhunter
Old 05-04-2012, 03:47 AM
A joyous, witty, exuberant, spectacular piece of pop art. The balance of the characters is executed in a way that makes this feel like a true ensemble piece. Whedon not only understand these characters and crafts them with humanity and hilarity, but he proves himself to be an excellent director of action as well. If you thought the other Marvel movies were lacking in big budget spectacle... watch out.

It is just incredibly fun. It feels like a comic book on the big screen.

Last edited by SpikeDurden; 05-04-2012 at 01:08 PM..
Old 05-04-2012, 03:56 AM
I liked it. the characterizations of all of the heroes was fantastic and the acting was great.

Spoilers

I think the only weak link was Loki, which is sort of the same problem i had with him in the Thor movie. There he had a good character arc, but that didn't make him a particularly threatening villain. And while Hiddleson's acting was good, the character had no motivations and was never really a credible threat. almost every scene he was in ended with one of the avengers soundly beating him. and while the threat of his army invading was somewhat threatening, we already assumed the avengers could easily take them out, it's all we've seen in the commercials.

my problem with lokis motivations are mostly because of how much different his character is from the comics and other incarnations. there he was much more subtle and worked behind the scenes more. not to mention he was never interested in earth except to fuck with thor, and only wanted to rule Asgard. this Loki was 1) much more overt and obvious, and neither this nor the Thor movie got into his ability to manipulate people or situations, and 2) much weaker, as he got beaten by everybody and had to get henchmen to run away from shield. in the comic only thor could really take him head on, and maybe the other avengers but only together and only when they had special asguardian weapons made. and even then he sort of ignored them. and 3) why would he settle for ruling earth? he would look down on the planet more that thor did in the beginning of his movie. should he just want to rule Asgard?

did was anyone else skeptical of loki? and why was Loki subservient to thanos? they should be about on par power wise.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:53 AM
Bigger review:

I saw the movie in 2D and loved it. The summer of 2012 begins with a BANG and the rest of the season movies "have met their match".

Making the blockbuster "The Avengers" into a masterpiece of entertainment, at the time it was announced, seemed impossible for me to achieve with such a high level of efficiency and art. Not even the news of Joss Whedon directing (which I'm familiar with since his "Buffy" times"), not even the actors cast, not even the most recent trailers, could have prepared me for HOW WELL this movie is made. I already knew it was gonna be good, but I wasn't expecting it to be THIS GOOD!

All the actors are at the top of their game. I won't stand out anyone, let's just say they're all excellent. From the main cast and even the secondary characters like agent Coulson or agent Hill. They're really good in this. And they all get their moments to shine, not only individually, but as a group. I didn't feel that one or the other got more "screen time" than the others, or that one was more important than the rest (speaking about the super-heroes). Each had its own relevance, contribuited to the group, and we can clearly feel that when the team finally bonds, "they're tough as nails". This is a rare feat when dealing with ensemble casts. I'm wondering if any other movie has achieved this level of balance with such a high calibre group of actors.

The script and the dialogs between characters, between the Avengers or between each one and Loki, are also spot-on. It's more than obvious the Whedon touch, who creates a tapestry of living words that sometimes goes beyond the "comic book" feel of the movie into something more (specifically the lines Loki delivers). And there's no shortage of humor: there are laugh out loud moments, funny moments that we weren't expecting, especially one very short scene between Thor and Hulk that takes but a blink of an eye. Oh, before I forget: if the trailers left you with a bitter taste of "Transformers" in your mouth, make no mistake: the action isn't, and by far, as robotic, tedious and souless like in those movies.

Regarding the technical aspects, there's not much to tell here. ILM delivers as usual and almost like no other. The art direction, the sound effects, the costumes are great. Alan Silvestri's score is more than competent.

In short, "The Avengers" reaches without a problem the title of best movie of 2012 so far, and it will surely be in many top ten lists when the year is done. It is a landmark of cinema and in its particular genre that, although different from other movies of the same quality ("Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight"), will absolutely not go unseen by lots and LOTS of people (fans and non-fans), and that we will remember like a "Hulk smash to the head": a 2h 20m punch that goes by so fast and that leaves me wanting much more. Joss Whedon had a gigantic task ahead of himself, and not only he delivers perfection, he may finally get the recognition he's been deserving for years: he's become the next great director not to miss. Welcome to the big league, Mr. Whedon! When will "The Avengers 2" be coming out, sir?

9/10 (which may well be a 9.5 or 10 after a second viewing)
Old 05-04-2012, 06:52 AM
So Good... SO GOOD!!

Every year I (like most) anticipate summer movie season, and the first movie of that season sets the bar, and this movie has set the bar quite high!

First and foremost, I just wanna say that all super hero/ action movie screenplays should be written by people who previously wrote for hilarious sitcoms (in this case Joss Whedon used to write for Roseanne) because eveyr laugh in this movie was a TRUE and genuine laugh. My favorite being:

Spoiler:
When Hulk, after fucking up all those bad space dudes is standing next to Thor and he just punches him!

And of course, the end scene with all of The Avengers at the Restaurant just eating, not saying a word!

This movie was thoroughly entertaining, from start to finish. Usually when I watch a movie, no matter how good it is, I just want to get to the end, so I can reminisce and talk about it... this movie I never once thought about the length or how much longer, it just flowed perfectly.

Just a great movie... whether or not you are familiar with the world, it is a solid action movie.

I had to look on here to see what the deal was with the first scene in the credits, but now I get it

Spoiler:
Does that mean a Second Avengers movie? or can that Villain be part of another single hero series?

And not part of the movie but:

My theater did NOT have The Dark Knight Rises trailer... super bummed!
Old 05-04-2012, 11:27 AM
If The Avengers is any indication of how this summer movie season will be, then movie fans will be in a treat like no other. After a few years of establishing the origin and mythos of their beloved superheroes, Marvel Studios have finally unleashed the quintessential film that brings all of them together. What comes together is a film that is so tightly woven in spectacle, wonderful character interaction/dialogue, and direction by beloved director Joss Whedon that it is almost unbelievable how you’re seeing all the Marvel superheroes come together on the big screen, and for it to be so damn good.

Most of the credit could be to Whedon himself, who has been known for some great character writing behind his shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. For The Avengers, it’s like he’s in his own playground, and he’s knows where the rules begin and end on how to bring these characters in a cohesive fashion. The film is truly remarkable on how the minor and major characters in this film get their own time to shine in what feels like a brisk 142 minutes. Whether it’s Captain America, Thor, or even Hawkeye, fans of their favorite superheroes will certainly be cheering and smiling at what transpires each hero’s given scene.

If there could be some trepidation for newcomers of this film, there could be the argument that you would have to seen all the previous films in order to get a handle of what is going on in The Avengers, and that’s a perfectly viable argument. But, these films have been out for quite some time, and the majority of the movie going public who are seeing these films already know what they are in for. Still, as such, this film will most likely garner enjoyment out of the newcomer regardless, mostly in how engaging, hilarious, and action packed the movie truly is.

That’s the thing with most summer movie blockbusters, in that the humor and action beats sometimes try way too hard that it simply becomes boring and uninteresting. Not for The Avengers, as Whedon is making a mission to make sure that the viewer is engaged by offering varied action set pieces, as well as some great back-and-forth banter between the superheroes. The film is pure, unadulterated, engagement for the audience, and it’s beautiful. Sure, a wee complaint could be that it gets a slight stagnant by the final act, but it’s so minor that the positives truly outweigh the negative.

As for the cast in this flick, what more could be said? All the actors are great, bringing their charisma and presence to each role, accompanied by some truly enjoyable dialogue bits. On their own individual journeys, they are good, but it’s when they all come together that the film becomes something truly special. Robert Downey Jr. can pretty much play Tony Stark/Iron Man in his sleep at this point. The man just knows how to bring a wave of personality to the character, whether through his sarcastic or determined demeanor. Chris Evans continues to shine as Captain America, bringing the “good old boy” American hero persona that many fans of the character know and love.

Chris Hemsworth seems to be more of background player as Thor this time around, but he still brings the sheer intensity and anger of the character on screen, and steals a good amount of scenes he’s in as well. But, if there’s a background character that steals the stage right from under our noses, it’s Mark Ruffalo as his portrayal as Bruce Banner/The Hulk. The previous actors who seem to take on the role of this character have been on two of the different side of the spectrums. Eric Bana’s portrayal of Bruce was just trying to hard to make an impression, while Edward Norton’s Bruce doesn’t really make an impression at all, as it simply Norton playing Norton playing Bruce Banner. It’s Ruffalo who gets the in between of what makes the character work, playing a wounded, but a still immensely likable Bruce. You feel that he’s trying hard not to let the monster out, and Whedon plays that card spectacularly throughout the film, culminating to Hulk scenes that pretty much are the high point of the film.

As for the rest of the supporting cast, they all do an admirable job as well. Samuel Jackson brings his typical swagger and “Samuel L. Jacksoness” (I made that up) to Nick Fury. Scarlett Johansson has some solid moments as the Black Widow, and Jeremy Renner is fine as the archer assassin Hawkeye. The real star of the supporting show is certainly Tom Hiddleston as the villain Loki. This actor just seems to being having a gleeful time playing the bad guy, and it shows on screen. He had that sympathetic, yet pathetic turn in the Thor film, but he’s all out stupendously evil in this Marvel outing. He’s the villain that viewers will love to hate, with the older crowd enjoying evilness and the younger crowd wishing that one of the superheroes would just take him down.

That’s the final thing that I want to mention in this review, which is how this film will simply be a pleasure for all audiences. The older crowd will certainly eat this up in their palm of their hand, but for the younger crowd, this will be like a four-course meal. Looking back on my screening, I was thinking to myself on how much my two nephews would be all in their glory from watching this type of film. I know they love The Hulk character, and watching his scenes in the film made me wonder if my nephews’ consciousness would just implode by the sheer amazement that those scenes bring to the table.

That’s what The Avengers brings to this summer blockbuster table, a film that comes together in spectacular fashion that it’s truly remarkable on how it all came to be. It’s amazing that not just four years ago, the movie going public was introduced to what Marvel Studios would be teasing the world in the coming years, resulting in this sheer gem that children and adults have received. An astounding opening act for what is sure to be a glorious summer movie season.

Please sir, I’d like some more!

9/10

Last edited by Mr.HyDe807; 05-04-2012 at 11:30 AM..
Old 05-04-2012, 12:13 PM
I told you guys! I told you so! Go back a few pages and look at my post in this thread. Talking about you know who, villain wise.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbs View Post
The Avengers

SPOILER WARNING!

Yep I'm using the original US title for the film and not the lame Euro version 'Avengers Assemble' which sounds like a cartoon, all because the powers that be seem to think we're all dumb enough to mistake this new film with another rather old TV series and its mega budget flop film counterpart. Deal with it.
mwoehahahaha, sucks watching this flick 10 days later than the old world eh. It was called Avengers in my lame non US country too.

If you want to go Nelson and ha-ha in our faces, mock us because we didn't get the restaurant scene.