Old 05-03-2012, 04:02 AM
Battlefield 3 (question)

Ok. First up, I have both heard and read wonderful things about this game, and it's online component. Infact, I have been told to my face that it's the duck's nuts for this genre of game. Being that as it may or may not, for the first time last week, I got to play it online on my friend's 360 at his joint. Two things were new to me. The fact that I've never played a 360 before. And also the fact that I played Battlefield 3 for the very first time. It was a blast...literally.

To the crux of my topic.

My friend is driving me insane (literally) with the prospect that I should purchase a 360 bundle just so I can play with him and his team of elite's (right) online. He does not own a PS3. Nobody's perfect I guess. HAHAHA. But in all seriousness, I have a very valid and much needed question answered in this regard.

Which version of Battlefield 3 online is the best, PS3, or the 360?

I have learned that the 360 version has far superior online dedicated game servers. And it is the least glitchy of the two versions. But for me to fork out a wad of cash for this setup, I must know the facts first up. I don't want theories, opinions, or assumptions. Just the cold hard facts please. Of course, information is available on the net, but I thought I would ask you all here what you know about this.

Any and all help regarding my dilemma is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Hey GOW. I can't give you the facts because I haven't played it on the XBOX 360 (I own both systems, but I picked it up for the PS3).

However, there are a few reasons I picked it up for the PS3. Yes, it is definitely true that 75% of the time, the XBOX 360 version of third-party games is better than the PS3 version. However, DICE themselves said just prior to the release of BF3 that they felt the PS3 version was the superior of the two. Additionally, several critic reviews and LensofTruth.com (a site dedicated to XBOX 360 vs. PS3 console wars) gave the upper hand to the PS3 version. Granted, this is little stuff like load times and screen tearing that makes the difference, but for those hardcore frame rate junkies, the PS3 version (prior to the various patches issued) was deemed superior by multiple parties.

As someone who owns BF3 and spends more time with it than he does his girlfriend (okay, I'm not being literal here, but I'm a BF3 fan), I can say that I've experienced very little in the way of complications and bugs with the PS3 version. The game looks outstanding on console, even if it is far from par with the PC version. I also like not having to pay for online play, but that’s a different topic. In my experience, there are quite a few servers for the PS3 edition and I never have trouble finding a match (for instance, you can specify a certain match type and map on the matchmaking screen when playing BF3 online and I ALWAYS find a match right away, no matter what map or mode I'm in the mood for). But of COURSE there will be more 360 servers as more gamers own 360 consoles than PS3 consoles.

Really, it's all about what you want. If you are gonna play the shit out of that game with your buddy on Xbox, then go for it. But most of my friends are busy with life all the time anyway and we hardly get to see each other outside of work/school/significant others, let alone play online together. So, I just play my PS3 version when I can.

BUTTTTT... if you truly want THE superior version of Battlefield 3, and I know you don't want to hear this, you should pick it up for the PC. (Yeah, I'm a comma splice addict, so suck it) It's a BEAST on the PC with 64 player battles.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:36 PM
I've played it on both the PS3 and the XBOX360, and there is practically no difference in the stability of the servers, considering the game itself has dedicated servers through EA. So, the question then becomes, do you want to pay to play on-line or do you want free on-line access? I supposed if you're going to be playing with your buddy, the 360 is the way to go, but I much prefer the PS3 overall.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:55 PM
The Battlefield games are without a doubt meant to played on PC. Consoles just can't capture the epic scope of the game. The PC allows twice as many players on each team as the console versions.