Old 05-02-2012, 12:24 AM

Chimpanzee(2012)-6/10
Old 05-02-2012, 01:39 AM
Payback: Director's Cut (1999)

After seeing both films almost back to back I can easily say that, surprisingly, the original theatrical version for me is the better or most enjoyable.

There is actually a huge difference between the two films as most was re-shot for the cinematic release and changed completely. This director's cut goes back to a slightly darker approach and omits Kris Kristofferson as 'Bronson' completely and merely has a female voice (sounded like Kathleen Turner) in place, the first 15min or so is radically different and uses allot of flashbacks which were used as solid story for the cinematic version, 'Porter' doesn't kidnap 'Bronson's' son anymore because we don't even see 'Bronson' now and the ending is also completely different.

I don't like the way this was put together and I'm glad they went with the version they did, the story isn't as clear in this cut, not seeing 'Bronson' doesn't really work in my opinion as you don't really get a feel for just a voice and the ending is really quite an anti climax that cuts off flat with no real feeling of retribution served, most of bad guys live!! you feel almost cheated out of some kick ass.

The director's cut is a more sombre affair basically, slightly darker and with less pizazz, of course had we gotten this version instead I would probably be saying the version we all know is too in your face and not as subtle but we didn't so it is how it is.

Almost disjoined if that's possible for a director's cut and simply not as fun or satisfying as the theatrical version, its worth seeing out of curiosity but I didn't gel with it, plus they cut some of the dominatrix scenes with the gorgeous Lucy Liu as 'Pearl'...hell no!!
Old 05-02-2012, 08:49 AM

Young Adult
6/10
Old 05-02-2012, 08:52 AM
watched on dvd

9/10 another childhood favorite
Old 05-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Iron man 8/10
Old 05-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Masters of the Universe (1987)

Oh my how delicious is this piece of 80's panto, some of the best badly adapted hokey nonsense I've seen yet somehow its so damn good

Where to start! this really is your typical fantasy film of the era, every cliche every funny little niche is here as you would expect and the funny thing is it was actually meant to be a blockbuster. I have since found out there were many problems in creating this film and it does show some what, the film is really nothing like the original He-Man cartoon in any way.

Effects wise this sorta stumbles through with some interesting ideas, some of the makeup is actually quite good, 'Skeletor', 'Beast Man' and 'Saurod' all have pretty nice makeup appliances and costumes which fit the He-Man universe. Other effects are laughably terrible with some awful bluescreen work, nasty models of which most seem ripped straight outta 'Star Wars', faded poor laser blast effects and some of the most hilariously bad stunts and fight choreography you will see. Most kicks and punches clearly (and I mean CLEARLY) don't make their intended contacts lol!

The cast are actually a mix of decent character actors which is the funny thing, some of these performances saved the film and gave it cult status. Of course Langella as 'Skeletor' is the co de gra of cheesy villains with his snarling voice and bellowing cries lusting for power. For me the best and most amusing performance was James Tolkan as the no nonsense cop 'Lubic' with his sharp tongue, gotta love that guy and his baldness.
Along for the ride is steady character actor Jon Cypher, fantasy actor regular Billy Barty, Meg Foster as the quite sexual 'Evil-Lyn' in her lovely tight barbarian-esq outfit with luscious lips (oh yeah!) and last of all Courtney Cox, yes THAT Courtney Cox of 'Friends' fame and as you would expect she's still annoying as hell even back then.

So yes the film is practically a joke with its Punch n Judy style and completely awful effects, fights etc...but it has gained allot of notoriety for just that. Even when I saw this back as a kid I knew the film bared no resemblance to the original material, it always bewildered me why the creators thought to create new bad guys when there were so many rich villains to use, who the hell was 'Blade', 'Karg' and 'Saurod' suppose to be!? where was 'Trap Jaw' 'Tri-Klops' 'Mer-Man' or 'Man-E-Faces'? the same could be said for the heroes also. Then there was the question of who on earth were all these stormtrooper type foot soldiers clad in black armour that were an idea rip from so many films!?.

I have since found out they were stuck in so 'He-Man' could kill things without becoming too violent for the kids as He-Man wasn't suppose to kill. I can see that now but it still doesn't work right does it, I can't believe Lucas never sued frankly haha even with the almost identical ending to 'ROTJ'.

Its funny to look back and laugh, even more so to think films like this actually made it to the cinema and were meant to be big money spinners hehe. I actually love how the film just goes off on its own tangent completely ignoring the source material, its so far gone its brilliant in such a bad way. Gotta love 'Skeletor's' golden coloured horned silver foil battle mask getup when he transforms at the end which seems to be a rip off from 'Big Trouble in Little China'!, the way Tolkan swears oh and the fact 'Teela' seems to be wearing a thin thong if you look closely as well kids film?.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:38 PM
We Need to Talk About Kevin - 8.5/10
Old 05-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Water For Elephants - I liked Reese Witherspoon but the rest of the movie was merely decent. 6/10
Old 05-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Watched a few movies last night:

THE SAMARITAN - 8.5/10
I never thought I'd see Samuel L. Jackson in a noir film but it was epic! Plays his badass self trying to reform after getting out of jail but you know that never ends well. Definitely worth checking out.

[img] http://a1.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/088/...200x200-75.jpg [/img]

PINA - 9/10
Amazing. Absolutely brilliant. It's fascinating watching bodies of different ages in various states of motion. Incredible.

[img] http://azweeklymagazine.com/wp-conte...vie-Poster.jpg [/img]
Old 05-03-2012, 12:29 AM

The Raven(2012)-7/10
Old 05-03-2012, 12:50 AM
finished watching for the first time on bluray

7/10 it wasn't bad but I thought the paranoia that was in the original was lacking

now watching this on bluray

Last edited by sarah1980; 05-03-2012 at 01:13 AM..
Old 05-03-2012, 01:23 AM
Re-watches:

Captain America: The First Avenger - ***
Iron Man - *** 1/2
Thor - ***

Getting ready for The Avengers on Friday. Next up is Iron Man and then Thor. Still not sure if I'll watch Iron Man 2 or if I'll skip it since it's not very good.

Last edited by ilovemovies; 05-05-2012 at 03:44 AM..
Old 05-03-2012, 09:20 AM
Iron man 2 (8/10)
Old 05-03-2012, 12:06 PM
21 Jump Street (2012)

Never saw the original TV series as it wasn't really on UK TV much as I recall so I'm unable to really comment on comparisons, but after reading up it does seem like this comedy is relatively close to the source material.

Basically some young looking dudes are put into a local high school to crack down on a drugs ring, the reason they are used for the case? they are young looking, pretty much the same deal as the TV show. Of course this film is akin to older films 'The Dukes of Hazzard' and 'Starsky n Hutch' in the sense that it mocks the original source and teen/cop flicks in general.

So in a spoof type way this is quite good, I found myself enjoying the typical piss taking humour as the two leads start off in high school themselves and move up into the police force together. You know what kind of gags and visual stunts to expect, a blend of 'American Pie' and 'Paul Blart: Mall Cop' with a hint of 'Naked Gun'...and it works just fine.

For me the film started to wane from around the midway point though as the guys get emotionally attached to people they meet in the school (very predictably) and things start to get a bit mushy. You know whats gonna happen in the end, its very formulaic and cliched but it does put a smile on your face for sure. I've heard a sequel is planned but I really don't think that is necessary as this barely keeps its head above water if we are honest. I did like the two cameos in the finale though, nice touch.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Ten Inch Hero - There were a few funny moments but some of the predictable story lines dragged it down a bit. Danneel Harris did look incredible though so that helps. 6/10

Bridesmaids - Melissa McCarthy was the funniest one in this film. Most of the rest of the cast was good as well but McCarthy really stood out. 8/10
Old 05-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol - 7.5/10
Old 05-03-2012, 07:51 PM
THE AVENGERS (2nd viewing)

The first time I saw it last week, the audio was so low that I could hardly even hear some of the dialog. This time the theater was LOUD, and holy fuck it was quite an improvement.

This is one fine, entertaining summer blockbuster. I'm so glad it's already made $280 million worldwide and I hope for the best success in the Americas. This is what TRANSFORMERS and other shitfest "brainless action fodder" movies should strive to become.

Once again, it's not without its' flaws - especially in the simplistic "save the world" plot and a few key dramatic attempts - but this is all just set up for the action. Which THE AVENGERS delivers in spades. Just get some popcorn, sit down with a big drink (but drink slowly so you don't need to take a bathroom break) and be ready for a damned good time at the movies.

I raised the rating half a point. I want to say 8/10, but it doesn't quite feel to me that it was that good.

Updated review.

7.5/10

Last edited by KcMsterpce; 05-03-2012 at 08:22 PM..
Old 05-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Mildred Pierce (Ď11)

Since 1941, the Mildred Pierce brand continues to prove that in the pursuit of the American Dream, children will forever be both the pride and bane of our existence. This mini-series hews closer to the source novel in charting Mildredís rise from downtrodden divorcee to Glendale entrepreneur, and foregoes the whole murder mystery angle of Michael Curtizís í45 version. So those folks expecting more shadowy intrigue and coldblooded murder might be disappointed. Itís not hardboiled noir, just a pure period drama and gorgeously designed at that. Being made in Boardwalk Empireís bailiwick doesnít hurt, since HBO spares no expense. Sans melodramatic whodunit, the story is ultimately about the consequences of bad parenting and the neurotic need of some parents just to be needed, the ultimate tragedy of Mildredís character, someone as ambitious as she is naÔve to those who constantly use her to their own ends. The strength of the series comes from Mildredís relationships with her rich flighty boyfriend Monty (Guy Pearce, awesome as always in a renaissance moment for his career over the past year), and spoiled, ungrateful daughter Veda (Morgan Turner in Parts 1 to 3, Evan Rachel Wood in Parts 4 and 5), who only gets more despicable as the series rolls on. One of the most detestable characters to grace the big or small screen in a long time. You just wanna strangle the snotty voice from her lungs by the end, so Iím not sure if I should love Turner and Woodís overly dramatic performances or hate them, despite being the essence of that character. Todd Haynes gets no points for crafting anything close to an "exciting" story, but he still succeeds in the end with a satisfying, bittersweet taste of vintage Americana, held together by a slew of fantastic performances led by Kate Winslet.

-> 7/10
Old 05-04-2012, 12:41 AM

The Five-Year Engagement(2012)-8/10
Old 05-04-2012, 11:37 AM

If The Avengers is any indication of how this summer movie season will be, then movie fans will be in a treat like no other. After a few years of establishing the origin and mythos of their beloved superheroes, Marvel Studios have finally unleashed the quintessential film that brings all of them together. What comes together is a film that is so tightly woven in spectacle, wonderful character interaction/dialogue, and direction by beloved director Joss Whedon that it is almost unbelievable how youíre seeing all the Marvel superheroes come together on the big screen, and for it to be so damn good.

Most of the credit could be to Whedon himself, who has been known for some great character writing behind his shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. For The Avengers, itís like heís in his own playground, and heís knows where the rules begin and end on how to bring these characters in a cohesive fashion. The film is truly remarkable on how the minor and major characters in this film get their own time to shine in what feels like a brisk 142 minutes. Whether itís Captain America, Thor, or even Hawkeye, fans of their favorite superheroes will certainly be cheering and smiling at what transpires each heroís given scene.

If there could be some trepidation for newcomers of this film, there could be the argument that you would have to seen all the previous films in order to get a handle of what is going on in The Avengers, and thatís a perfectly viable argument. But, these films have been out for quite some time, and the majority of the movie going public who are seeing these films already know what they are in for. Still, as such, this film will most likely garner enjoyment out of the newcomer regardless, mostly in how engaging, hilarious, and action packed the movie truly is.

Thatís the thing with most summer movie blockbusters, in that the humor and action beats sometimes try way too hard that it simply becomes boring and uninteresting. Not for The Avengers, as Whedon is making a mission to make sure that the viewer is engaged by offering varied action set pieces, as well as some great back-and-forth banter between the superheroes. The film is pure, unadulterated, engagement for the audience, and itís beautiful. Sure, a wee complaint could be that it gets a slight stagnant by the final act, but itís so minor that the positives truly outweigh the negative.

As for the cast in this flick, what more could be said? All the actors are great, bringing their charisma and presence to each role, accompanied by some truly enjoyable dialogue bits. On their own individual journeys, they are good, but itís when they all come together that the film becomes something truly special. Robert Downey Jr. can pretty much play Tony Stark/Iron Man in his sleep at this point. The man just knows how to bring a wave of personality to the character, whether through his sarcastic or determined demeanor. Chris Evans continues to shine as Captain America, bringing the ďgood old boyĒ American hero persona that many fans of the character know and all.

Chris Hemsworth seems to be more of background player as Thor this time around, but he still brings the sheer intensity and anger of the character on screen, and steals a good amount of scenes heís in as well. But, if thereís a background character that steals the stage right from under our noses, itís Mark Ruffalo as his portrayal as Bruce Banner/The Hulk. The previous actors who seem to take on the role of this character have been on two of the different side of the spectrums. Eric Banaís portrayal of Bruce was just trying to hard to make an impression, while Edward Nortonís Bruce doesnít really make an impression at all, as it simply Norton playing Norton playing Bruce Banner. Itís Ruffalo who gets the in between of what makes the character work, playing a wounded, but a still immensely likable Bruce. You feel that heís trying hard not to let the monster out, and Whedon plays that card spectacularly throughout the film, culminating to Hulk scenes that pretty much are the high point of the film.

As for the rest of the supporting cast, they all do an admirable job as well. Samuel Jackson brings his typical swagger and ďSamuel L. JacksonessĒ (I made that up) to Nick Fury. Scarlett Johansson has some solid moments as the Black Widow, and Jeremy Renner is fine as the archer assassin Hawkeye. The real star of the supporting show is certainly Tom Hiddleston as the villain Loki. This actor just seems to being having a gleeful time playing the bad guy, and it shows on screen. He had that sympathetic, yet pathetic turn in the Thor film, but heís all out stupendously evil in this Marvel outing. Heís the villain that viewers will love to hate, with the older crowd enjoying evilness and the younger crowd wishing that one of the superheroes would just take him down.

Thatís the final thing that I want to mention in this review, which is how this film will simply be a pleasure for all audiences. The older crowd will certainly eat this up in their palm of their hand, but for the younger crowd, this will be like a four-course meal. Looking back on my screening, I was thinking to myself on how much my two nephews would be all in their glory from watching this type of film. I know they love The Hulk character, and watching his scenes in the film made me wonder if my nephewsí consciousness would just implode by the sheer amazement that those scenes bring to the table.

Thatís what The Avengers brings to this summer blockbuster table, a film that comes together in spectacular fashion that itís truly remarkable on how it all came to be. Itís amazing that not just four years ago, the movie going public was introduced to what Marvel Studios would be teasing the world in the coming years, resulting in this sheer gem that children and adults have received. An astounding opening act for what is sure to be a glorious summer movie season.

Please sir, Iíd like some more!

9/10
Old 05-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Red Tails

Based on the Tuskegee Airmen of WWII albeit somewhat loosely, but still a pretty good close depiction of what life was like for African American airmen in service over Italy.

You can tell this is a Lucas production you really can, the dialog is terrible and the cgi effects are very reminiscent of 'Star Wars' effects, heck I even noticed the same audio used for explosions and engines I think, I'm not saying the film is bad but merely a clear Lucasfilm production (we know Lucas used WWI/II dogfighting as inspiration for his space battles...and it shows here). It has the look of an old 50's boys own adventure style comicbook or an old TV adventure serial, like the inspirations behind 'Indy', but on the other hand it also bares similarity to a videogame adaptation of old arcade Capcom classic 1942.

The visuals are of course crisp, clean, sharp, rich and colourful....in short it looks a treat, a comicbook come to life. The problems are the whole thing feels like a TV movie or one of those old TV adventure serials with all episodes stuck together to make a film. The acting is pretty wooden really, the cast are mainly unknowns to me apart from Gooding but it is all pretty hokey to be honest.

Best thing about the film is obviously the action sequences focusing on lots of dogfighting (again kinda seems similar to 'Star Wars', even using the same quick fire dialog here and there! 'I can't see him!' 'I'm on your tail' etc...). The rest of the film is really a bit dull but the dogfighting is brilliant fun to watch.

The characters are terribly cliched and boring which in turn means you know what's gonna happen a mile off. Again...visually I can't fault it, looks terrific but the plot is your totally unoriginal underdog routine with characters we've all seen before. Good intentions for a lively historical epic but it falls short, a shame, but its still a fun action film. The finale with the playing of the American 'The Star-Spangled Banner' is also a tiny bit too much for me.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:10 PM
Hesher - I don't really see what the point of this movie is. It tries to be funny but it just falls flat. None of the performances were especially good and the story doesn't really go anywhere. 3/10

Things to Come - Based on an H.G. Wells story this film is entertaining at times but it also pushes its message concerning technology and peace too far. The story itself was pretty good it was just the presentation that was lacking. 5/10
Old 05-04-2012, 10:35 PM

The Avengers hit every mark perfectly. This was a movie that I never thought would made, up until a few years ago. I was always convinced it'd get fucked up. I figured Marvel would end up skimping. I always figured they want to trim to no longer than 1 hour and 50 minutes and really screw the characters and the story. Alas, they did not skimp on anything when it came to this movie. I have been so reserved about this movie, I guess I didn't want to get my hopes up and be completely let down. Marvel did not disappoint, well done to them. I salute them. It was exciting and funny. The story was fully fleshed out, as opposed to a lot of big budget event films. Every character had their fair share of screen time and every character had their due. It was a true ensemble. It was superbly acted and the cast had fantastic chemistry. Well done to everybody involved in movie especially Joss Whedon, it would not have been the same without him. This may very well end being the best movie of the summer. The Dark Knight Rises is still my most anticipated but it's got a long way to beat this movie. I think it's easy to say the best superhero movie ever.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:13 AM
watched on bluray

8/10
Old 05-05-2012, 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah1980 View Post
watched on bluray

8/10
Marathon Sarah? Nice!

Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked(2011)-3/10
Old 05-05-2012, 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck Bond View Post
Marathon Sarah? Nice!
maybe don't know yet hehe
Old 05-05-2012, 02:45 AM
Devil Dolls (2012)

What on earth was the point of this Mr Band!? I thought this was gonna be another dubious yet enjoyable killer puppet horror comedy yet it turns out to be a compilation of three of his older films!!

'Demonic Toys' 'Ragdoll' and 'Doll Graveyard' have all been cut down to short 30min stories which make no real sense now and mainly show the dolls killing. If you wanna make a compilation of kill sequences from your films fine but don't market it as a new film for chuffs sake!.

Complete waste of time and utter rip off Mr Band, for shame. What was the point anyway!? why watch this when you can watch the whole film properly, milking the shit out of your films is an understatement Mr Band.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:40 AM
We Bought A Zoo

Good intention movie but the script is so obvious that i had a hard time connecting. The acting was great tho.

6/10
Old 05-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Wanted - 6/10
Old 05-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Ratatouille 6/10
Old 05-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Bigger Than Life

When I watched this stoned last night I think I figured what it was about, but I forgot what it was. Maybe something to do with life in suburbia, in the 50s...yeah somethin' like that. Oh, and cinemascope!

8/10 ? Either way doesn't matter. Good shit, watch this stoned maybe.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:53 PM
The Avengers-10/10
Old 05-05-2012, 11:41 PM
THE GREY - 5/10

It's more of a story about humanity, faith and survival than "fighting wolves". This is fine, but I found most of the philosophy talk terribly underwhelming. Moreover, too many scenes went on for way too long. I didn't feel the "drama" and therefore was hoping for many scenes to just speed up and move along.
Don't trust the trailer. It tries to portray this as a different kind of movie, and was rather deceptive. I don't blame the movie for that; just be warned.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:54 AM

W./E.(2011)-5/10
Old 05-06-2012, 02:35 AM
The Avengers - ***

It's a lot of fun and enormously entertaining but I do think it's getting wildly overpraised by a lot of people. A fun flick, but I wouldn't exactly call it a great one. It still ranks below the first Iron Man.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KcMsterpce View Post
THE GREY - 5/10

It's more of a story about humanity, faith and survival than "fighting wolves". This is fine, but I found most of the philosophy talk terribly underwhelming. Moreover, too many scenes went on for way too long. I didn't feel the "drama" and therefore was hoping for many scenes to just speed up and move along.
Don't trust the trailer. It tries to portray this as a different kind of movie, and was rather deceptive. I don't blame the movie for that; just be warned.

Still my favorite film of 2012 thus far! It's too bad you didn't care for it.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:25 AM
The Box-Office Movie of The Year

Just had to put in the hotness in there

10/10

I know some people will disagree when I say that this movie had no flaw THAT I would see because for me it was a lot of fun to watch this characters interact and the dialogue was witty too. Yes the 3rd act (as someone mention in another thread) look like Dark of (Bay) Moon but I also think THAT is how Dark of (Bay) Moon SHOULD have been. Everyone in the audience was both laughing and enjoying the movie at the same time. I think this is going to be the blue-print on follow up movies - whether it be team-up or not-is going to be hard to top this movie as far as I'm concern. I will probably going to be flake by saying this but I don't think TDKR will top the box office take of both Deathly Hallow Part 2 or The Avengers on opening night. Believe what you want and I'm not trying to diss on Nolan Batman because those movie is in another category itself that has nothing to do with the DC Universe except the characters and it's Nolan own vision and I respect that vision. THIS is what I want to watch when I go see an action pack movie...just seeing the HeliCarrier on screen was just pure epicness-although I don't know if there is word that transcend epicness but I digress. I hope Marvel and Disney does the right thing and retain Whedon just like DC/WB did with Nolan in maintaining a consistency. I felt also that Mark Ruffalo ease my uneasiness with the character of Bruce since reflecting back on it, I don't know if I was the only one who noticed, but I felt he was channeling Bill Bixy(sp?) David Banner from his 70's TV Show in that he play the character with humility and caution in that he didn't want to hurt anyone else that was near him..whether it be ally or friend. I would be willing to watch this 2 or 3x.

Last edited by barryallen_thef; 05-06-2012 at 03:36 AM..
Old 05-06-2012, 03:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty_86 View Post

The Avengers hit every mark perfectly. This was a movie that I never thought would made, up until a few years ago. I was always convinced it'd get fucked up. I figured Marvel would end up skimping. I always figured they want to trim to no longer than 1 hour and 50 minutes and really screw the characters and the story. Alas, they did not skimp on anything when it came to this movie. I have been so reserved about this movie, I guess I didn't want to get my hopes up and be completely let down. Marvel did not disappoint, well done to them. I salute them. It was exciting and funny. The story was fully fleshed out, as opposed to a lot of big budget event films. Every character had their fair share of screen time and every character had their due. It was a true ensemble. It was superbly acted and the cast had fantastic chemistry. Well done to everybody involved in movie especially Joss Whedon, it would not have been the same without him. This may very well end being the best movie of the summer. The Dark Knight Rises is still my most anticipated but it's got a long way to beat this movie. I think it's easy to say the best superhero movie ever.
My though exactly my friend..my thoughs exactly. Did it occur to you that three of the main actors i.e. Samuel L, RDJ and Mark Ruffalo really look their age? Especially in some of the close-up scenes? Kind of fitting in how the movie ended and they set up the sequel no? by the way did you get a chance to stay after the closing credits? I heard there was an Easter Egg after the set-up for the sequel.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbs View Post
Masters of the Universe (1987)

Oh my how delicious is this piece of 80's panto, some of the best badly adapted hokey nonsense I've seen yet somehow its so damn good

Where to start! this really is your typical fantasy film of the era, every cliche every funny little niche is here as you would expect and the funny thing is it was actually meant to be a blockbuster. I have since found out there were many problems in creating this film and it does show some what, the film is really nothing like the original He-Man cartoon in any way.

Effects wise this sorta stumbles through with some interesting ideas, some of the makeup is actually quite good, 'Skeletor', 'Beast Man' and 'Saurod' all have pretty nice makeup appliances and costumes which fit the He-Man universe. Other effects are laughably terrible with some awful bluescreen work, nasty models of which most seem ripped straight outta 'Star Wars', faded poor laser blast effects and some of the most hilariously bad stunts and fight choreography you will see. Most kicks and punches clearly (and I mean CLEARLY) don't make their intended contacts lol!

The cast are actually a mix of decent character actors which is the funny thing, some of these performances saved the film and gave it cult status. Of course Langella as 'Skeletor' is the co de gra of cheesy villains with his snarling voice and bellowing cries lusting for power. For me the best and most amusing performance was James Tolkan as the no nonsense cop 'Lubic' with his sharp tongue, gotta love that guy and his baldness.
Along for the ride is steady character actor Jon Cypher, fantasy actor regular Billy Barty, Meg Foster as the quite sexual 'Evil-Lyn' in her lovely tight barbarian-esq outfit with luscious lips (oh yeah!) and last of all Courtney Cox, yes THAT Courtney Cox of 'Friends' fame and as you would expect she's still annoying as hell even back then.

So yes the film is practically a joke with its Punch n Judy style and completely awful effects, fights etc...but it has gained allot of notoriety for just that. Even when I saw this back as a kid I knew the film bared no resemblance to the original material, it always bewildered me why the creators thought to create new bad guys when there were so many rich villains to use, who the hell was 'Blade', 'Karg' and 'Saurod' suppose to be!? where was 'Trap Jaw' 'Tri-Klops' 'Mer-Man' or 'Man-E-Faces'? the same could be said for the heroes also. Then there was the question of who on earth were all these stormtrooper type foot soldiers clad in black armour that were an idea rip from so many films!?.

I have since found out they were stuck in so 'He-Man' could kill things without becoming too violent for the kids as He-Man wasn't suppose to kill. I can see that now but it still doesn't work right does it, I can't believe Lucas never sued frankly haha even with the almost identical ending to 'ROTJ'.

Its funny to look back and laugh, even more so to think films like this actually made it to the cinema and were meant to be big money spinners hehe. I actually love how the film just goes off on its own tangent completely ignoring the source material, its so far gone its brilliant in such a bad way. Gotta love 'Skeletor's' golden coloured horned silver foil battle mask getup when he transforms at the end which seems to be a rip off from 'Big Trouble in Little China'!, the way Tolkan swears oh and the fact 'Teela' seems to be wearing a thin thong if you look closely as well kids film?.
oh the cheesiness of this film will crack anyone up (at for those that grew up watching He-Man of the 80's) but even though you mention some people that I don't know and I know like Langella and Courtney Cox you forgot to mention one tiny detail Courtney Cox boyfriend in that film ended up having a role in both ST:TNG AND an eventual main role in ST:Voyager in Robert Duncan McNeil(sp?) who coincidentally wound up working behind the camera and directing a few episodes of Voyager and I believe he was a Co-Producer on Chuck and also wound up (I think) directing some episodes of that show..
Old 05-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Shame

A scattershot character study with a handful of great scenes between saggy stretches of artsy indulgence. But the great ones Ė the awkward date being the most fascinating - only reinforce the tremendous work Michael Fassbender put into the role of this sexually compulsive deviant. I mean, this guyís an emotional fucking cripple, his soul is dogshit, and every single fucking thing about him is ugly. And no, I absolutely did not steal that verbatim from Bad Santa, not at all. Anyway, itís not a terribly sympathetic experience for us as the audience to follow a character so trapped in his own hollow shell of depravity and addiction. Itís not pretty, itís not fun, and it sure as hell doesnít pretend to want to entertain you. Where does that leave it? Somewhere in the middle, more beautifully shot than a certain bad lieutenant, but far from the shrewd indie glory of a certain taxi driver. But props to McQueen and Fassy for going outside the boundaries of conventional comforts to create something this singularly repellent, and to Carey Mulligan for another terrific performance that seemed to have gotten overshadowed by Fassbenderís as the wayward sister that begins the douchebagís downward spiral.

-> 7/10
Closed Thread