Old 05-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Loved this movie! Loved how it wasn't "Iron Man and Friends" or "Captain America and Company" but truly it was about all the avengers. All the performances were spot on. The Hulk really stole the show. Especially loved when

Spoiler:
He beats the everloving fuck out of Loki. With all the laughter in the theatre when that happened, I missed what he said after that does anyone know?

Jeremy Renner is really starting to grow on me, and this helped that after his awesome turn in MI4. Colson really got to shine more in this movie. Just everything about this movie was great.

Bring on the sequel and all the other standalone movies (including a Ruffalo Hulk, a Black Widow Movie, and a Hawkeye Movie).

9.5/10
Old 05-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_rambo View Post
The Hulk really stole the show. Especially loved when

Spoiler:
He beats the everloving fuck out of Loki. With all the laughter in the theatre when that happened, I missed what he said after that does anyone know?

Spoiler:
Ha yeah my theater erupted in laughter & applause when Hulk threw Loki around like a little rag doll. They also laughed and clapped when Hulk punched Thor out of nowhere haha

Despite a pretty lame main villain I thought this movie was entertaining.

8/10
Old 05-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Welp, here we are, folks...

Just got back from an early morning screening. Short version, the film was everything I expected it be (and then some). But here's the long version...

[Review under construction]

9/10
Old 05-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_rambo View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Loki brags he's a god so Hulk pummels him around and replies "puny god"
Old 05-04-2012, 06:49 PM
I cannot actually remember a film I enjoyed this much. No it is not necessarily a cinematic revolution, or the dramatic performance of the century, but it was the most entertaining and fun piece of cinema I've seen in a long time.

9.99999999/10
Old 05-04-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Space View Post
I cannot actually remember a film I enjoyed this much. No it is not necessarily a cinematic revolution, or the dramatic performance of the century, but it was the most entertaining and fun piece of cinema I've seen in a long time.

9.99999999/10
My thoughts exactly. Loved it, and I don't know that there's ever been a movie I saw in the theaters where... I don't know, but there was definitely some kind of feeling pulsing throughout the theater and everyone seemed to be engaged by the movie. Very pleasantly surprised (although I expected it to be good, in the first place).
Old 05-04-2012, 08:52 PM
I do have to say I had a blast, entertained from start to finish. I would go into a review but others have already summed up how I feel. Just an amazingly fun film!

9.5/10
Old 05-04-2012, 09:32 PM
I told ya'll m*therf*ckers, I told ya'll.

I said Hawkeye is great character and can hold his own against the big boys.

I said the the baddest mofo in Marvel was in this movie.
Spoiler:

I told you Loki is a lame villain, which was my only complaint to an otherwise perfect film.

And I told you Loki's army is actually
Spoiler:
Chitari from the Ultimates universe and not Skrulls.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:39 PM
The Avengers hit every mark perfectly. This was a movie that I never thought would made, up until a few years ago. I was always convinced it'd get fucked up. I figured Marvel would end up skimping. I always figured they want to trim to no longer than 1 hour and 50 minutes and really screw the characters and the story. Alas, they did not skimp on anything when it came to this movie. I have been so reserved about this movie, I guess I didn't want to get my hopes up and be completely let down. Marvel did not disappoint, well done to them. I salute them. It was exciting and funny. The story was fully fleshed out, as opposed to a lot of big budget event films. Every character had their fair share of screen time and every character had their due. It was a true ensemble. It was superbly acted and the cast had fantastic chemistry. Well done to everybody involved in movie especially Joss Whedon, it would not have been the same without him. This may very well end being the best movie of the summer. The Dark Knight Rises is still my most anticipated but it's got a long way to beat this movie. This one met and exceeded any expectations I had. I had goosebumps during the final battle. A flat out amazing movie. I can't wait to see it again.

Spoiler:
I'm glad someone knows what Hulk said after he pummeled Loki. I have asked six different people so far and they all said the same thing, people were laughing too hard for them to hear it. I was in stitches when Hulk punched Thor, fucking hilarious. I think my favorite line was "I'm always angry". Ruffalo nailed the Bruce Banner, I hope he sticks with it. He was better than Norton

Last edited by Frosty_86; 05-04-2012 at 09:43 PM..
Old 05-04-2012, 09:46 PM
9.5/10

Invokes the same feeling of pure fun and excitement action/adventure films of old Like Raiders of Star Wars gave audiences back in the day. Everything just fires on all cylinders. A near perfect concoction of incredible action, genuinely funny humor, and character. The plot itself is standard EARTH INVASION! stuff but really, it doesn't have to be about more then that. It's all about the characters and how they come together and interact. It's a refreshingly simple big budget film that doesn't drown in it's own budget.
Are there things to nitpick? Of course. But I really don't feel Whedon could have done much more to make this any better. A true gift for fans.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Spoiler:
Yeah Hulk punching Thor was so out of nowhere and pointless that it was hilarious. The humor always hit on this one. That's hard to do in a movie that isn't a comedy.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:51 PM
Spoiler:
I think the movie is a visual spectacle that honors the strengths of all these great heroes, even Sam Jackson's Nick Fury. But, Loki was definitely the weakest part. He never felt threatening--especially the end where everything seemed like a big joke and nothing seemed to be at stake except for the "Counsel" deciding to nuke New York. Also, I think Hawkeye was so out of place the entire time and was only used as a plot device to introduce some background of Black Widow and so SHIELD didn't look like complete cowards. However, my favorite part was definitely the post credit scene with THANOS!!!

8.5/10
Old 05-04-2012, 11:06 PM
Saw it today in IMAX 3D. Great flick to kick off the summer. I was smiling ear to ear at pretty much everything .Everything was well executed, and Hulk was probably my favorite part of the the whole movie but everything was great.

9/10
Old 05-04-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
So Good... SO GOOD!!

Every year I (like most) anticipate summer movie season, and the first movie of that season sets the bar, and this movie has set the bar quite high!

First and foremost, I just wanna say that all super hero/ action movie screenplays should be written by people who previously wrote for hilarious sitcoms (in this case Joss Whedon used to write for Roseanne) because eveyr laugh in this movie was a TRUE and genuine laugh. My favorite being:

Spoiler:
When Hulk, after fucking up all those bad space dudes is standing next to Thor and he just punches him!

And of course, the end scene with all of The Avengers at the Restaurant just eating, not saying a word!

This movie was thoroughly entertaining, from start to finish. Usually when I watch a movie, no matter how good it is, I just want to get to the end, so I can reminisce and talk about it... this movie I never once thought about the length or how much longer, it just flowed perfectly.

Just a great movie... whether or not you are familiar with the world, it is a solid action movie.

I had to look on here to see what the deal was with the first scene in the credits, but now I get it

Spoiler:
Does that mean a Second Avengers movie? or can that Villain be part of another single hero series?

I so agree!

10/10

I've been following this production from day one and set my expectations sky high. How many times does a much hyped movie match such high expectations? I'm more than happy to report that Avengers not only met those expectations, it exceeded them!

Marvel has officially done it... a complete knock it out of the park grand slam home run of a movie! Oh man, Avengers delivers a lot of action to go along with an intriguing plot. This is the best paced and most thrilling 2 hour and 20 minutes Iíve ever spent in the cinema. There are so many wonderful and perfectly placed humorous moments as well. What else? A classic villain, superb acting and action beats that could be the best that Iíve ever seen. There are so many incredible stunts, unbelievable feats and a climax that plays in the best way possible. The finish features one wave after another of edge of your seat moments. For me, a pure fan, itís as fantastic of a movie thatís ever been made and Iím not exaggerating one bit. Avengers is everything I hoped for and I canít imagine anyone not enjoying something about gem.

I honestly can't wait to see it again.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:41 PM
Saw it last night at the 12:01 screening and it easily get's a 9/10 from me.

Probably the coolest movie i've ever seen.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:00 AM

Just watched it a few hours ago and all i gotta say is WOOOOOOOOOOOOW BEST SUPERHERO MOVIE EVER so much fun and so funny and the hulk definitely stole the show so kickass.A great way to start the summer movie season. 10000000000000000000/10
Old 05-05-2012, 12:10 AM
4.5/5

pure movie fun. this is what summer movies all about.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:16 AM
In a word: Fun.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:38 AM
Just was able to see this tonight and thought it was amazing, can't really put it into words what a great fucking movie.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:35 AM
Spoiler:
RIP Agent Phil Coulson. You were the man!

Old 05-05-2012, 02:46 AM
*waits for Soda's review*
Old 05-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by g05 View Post
*waits for Soda's review*
Sorry guys, I'm feeling extremely under the weather right now, and my doctor put me on some powerful meds to try to fix things (infection, yikes). Me and my buds are going to go see this film on Tuesday night. I was going to go today, but that had to get canceled. Health first. I'm double bummed because I missed the Saturday show of the Avengers, and I missed Free Comic Book Day this morning. Life just isn't fair sometimes.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:45 PM
@ $80.5 million on Friday alone. Holy shit. Headed to see this in like 20 minutes.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Wow, I can't stop thinking about how fun this movie is!

Every once in a while a film comes along that just takes you away and injects you with pure, concentrated fun. The Avengers is one of these movies. I can safely say it is probably THE quintessential comic book movie in tone and execution. The Nolan Bat films may be more rewarding on a deeper level (this is in no way a knock against the series. Lord knows why stupid fanboys have to have fight over the two franchises) but on a pure fun and escapist level I can't see The Avengers being beaten any time soon. Until part 2 comes out
Old 05-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Fuck it i'm seeing it again in 30 minutes.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:03 PM
Hats off to Joss Whedon, for stepping up his game and writing and directing the most entertaining superhero film ever made. Kudos, my good man, kudos...

"Yeah? Well, I'm directing the Avengers in thirteen years, so shut the fuck up and do the scene!"
Old 05-05-2012, 05:41 PM
Moment of the movie:

Spoiler:
Old 05-05-2012, 05:51 PM
it was awesome-10/10
Old 05-05-2012, 06:15 PM

Another thing I liked about this movie was Stark clowning on the others using movie references.

Calls Thor "Point Break"
Calls Loki "Reindeer Games"
Calls Hawkeye "Legolas"
Old 05-05-2012, 06:39 PM
I have to say this as someone who has NOT seen ANY of the Iron Man,Thor,Hulk or Captain America films...Avengers was AMAZING. If I am absolutely in love with this movie holy fuck I can't even imagine how much the comic fans are lovin this right now!
Old 05-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectRatio1986 View Post
Moment of the movie:

Spoiler:
I love that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopontheshoes7 View Post
Wow, I can't stop thinking about how fun this movie is!

Every once in a while a film comes along that just takes you away and injects you with pure, concentrated fun. The Avengers is one of these movies. I can safely say it is probably THE quintessential comic book movie in tone and execution. The Nolan Bat films may be more rewarding on a deeper level (this is in no way a knock against the series. Lord knows why stupid fanboys have to have fight over the two franchises) but on a pure fun and escapist level I can't see The Avengers being beaten any time soon. Until part 2 comes out
Yeah, I saw it again today and there really were so many little things that I missed the first time around. Some because the audience was roaring so loud I couldn't hear the dialogue and others because I flat out missed it.

Spoiler:
The "single shot" during the battle that shows and hands off the camera shot to each Avenger. It starts with the Widow riding the alien then Iron Man picking off those on her tail and ends with the Thor/Hulk take down of a leviathon (then the Hulk punch on Thor) That was one long shot and I didn't notice it the first time. Also, somehow I missed Iron Man refracting ablast off Cap's shield! Just awesome!
Old 05-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Don't get me wrong, I liked this movie a lot. It's a really fun movie, there is no denying that. But I think many people are going overboard with their praise of the movie. I think it's a really fun movie, but I wouldn't call it a great movie either.

Spoiler:
Still sad that they killed off Agent Coulson. I mean, I know his death was vital in getting the team to finally work together and settle their petty differences but I'm sad now that he won't be a part of the other sequels now. :sad:

I still think the original Iron Man is a slightly better movie, but I would definitely rank this second in all of the movies.

Last edited by ilovemovies; 05-05-2012 at 08:02 PM..
Old 05-05-2012, 08:15 PM
I checked in today to see if Soda finally posted his review. I am disapoint
Old 05-05-2012, 09:07 PM
When the movie was over, I shrugged and said "alright." I wanted to love this as much as other people were and I wanted to believe the hype but something just didn't completely do it for me. Everything before the battle in New York just seemed average. I liked how each character got enough time independently and all had their time to shine, even if some of them had some REALLY dumb moments (pointing a pistol at the Hulk? Sure, try that.) It just seemed average and never wowed me. The battle in New York was great, but that was the last half hour or so. I've heard people call this the best superhero film of all time, and that is a really really long stretch. I could probably name 10 better superhero films, and I don't really watch many. There's one superhero film that I won't say because I know that there will be at least one person who will get angry, but I had so much more fun with, and absolutely loved, but was panned by every critic and I was definitely in the minority on. I won't say what it is but, I don't know anyone else who liked it besides me and two of my friends.......alright it was Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance. Sorry guys, it's my opinion.

6.5/10
Old 05-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Don't get me wrong, I liked this movie a lot. It's a really fun movie, there is no denying that. But I think many people are going overboard with their praise of the movie. I think it's a really fun movie, but I wouldn't call it a great movie either.

Spoiler:
Still sad that they killed off Agent Coulson. I mean, I know his death was vital in getting the team to finally work together and settle their petty differences but I'm sad now that he won't be a part of the other sequels now. :sad:

I still think the original Iron Man is a slightly better movie, but I would definitely rank this second in all of the movies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-dae-su View Post
When the movie was over, I shrugged and said "alright." I wanted to love this as much as other people were and I wanted to believe the hype but something just didn't completely do it for me. Everything before the battle in New York just seemed average. I liked how each character got enough time independently and all had their time to shine, even if some of them had some REALLY dumb moments (pointing a pistol at the Hulk? Sure, try that.) It just seemed average and never wowed me. The battle in New York was great, but that was the last half hour or so. I've heard people call this the best superhero film of all time, and that is a really really long stretch. I could probably name 10 better superhero films, and I don't really watch many. There's one superhero film that I won't say because I know that there will be at least one person who will get angry, but I had so much more fun with, and absolutely loved, but was panned by every critic and I was definitely in the minority on. I won't say what it is but, I don't know anyone else who liked it besides me and two of my friends.......alright it was Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance. Sorry guys, it's my opinion.

6.5/10
Even though I gave it a 8.5/10, which is starting to look more like a 7.5/10 pretty soon, I understand where you guys are coming from. This film is getting way too much hype, and I think it's because people are simply in awe by the simple fact some of their favorite heroes are on the screen together. Because honestly, nothing else felt exciting. I too can name a couple of other superhero movies that were better than this, X-Men 2 and Spider-Man 2 to name a few, but I think people will forget about this similar to how they did with Iron Man after The Dark Knight came out.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
I think people will forget about this similar to how they did with Iron Man after The Dark Knight came out.
Keep telling yourself that and maybe even someday you'll believe it. Avengers is now the benchmark that other will be measured by and no amount of self imposed "head up the ass syndrome" will change that fact.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-dae-su View Post

6.5/10

That's okay. Daredevil is still one of my absolute favorite superhero movies and that got mostly middling reviews. Same with Ang Lee's Hulk.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
but I think people will forget about this similar to how they did with Iron Man after The Dark Knight came out.
I thought Iron Man far surpassed TDK. Most of my friends who aren't really comic or movie buffs tend to prefer Iron Man over TDK as well. I think it's a little strange, and ironic that the way you and Oh-Dae-so feel is about exactly how I felt about TDK. It was a meh for me, and the hype was just frustrating. I will never fully understand the dark night hype, the films to me are mediocre and nothing more. Obviously they mean a lot more to some of you which is awesome.

I think what bothered me about TDK is how many people were calling it an amazing film, and a cinematic achievement. I think most of us can agree it is not those things. Avengers on the other hand people are just calling it fun. Nobody is making it as the greatest film of the decade or anything like that. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say we're all just really happy with how much fun the movie was.

I am a little disappointed that you would be willing to lower your own rating for a movie simply because of other peoples enjoyment and hype about it. I don't totally believe that you'd do that either after watching you post for a few years. I think that's more reactionary than anything. Initially I wanted to give TDK a 3 just because listening to all the fanboys was infuriating. I hope you will move passed that and just enjoy the flick.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:48 PM
I'm not even that big of a fan of Marvel flicks. The best one I thought was Iron Man (8/10), with the rest in the 6-7.5 area. The Avengers, on the other hand, was a film that simply took pieces of the film that worked, and made it into one grand movie.

That's why I simply love this film, for the fact that it knew how to have fun, bring spectacle, as well as some potent drama into the mix. With a great shake-up like that considering the majority of "mehh" from last year's summer films, The Avengers was a breath of fun fresh air for this schmoe.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChar4321 View Post
Keep telling yourself that and maybe even someday you'll believe it. Avengers is now the benchmark that other will be measured by and no amount of self imposed "head up the ass syndrome" will change that fact.
Bahahahaha.

I have no doubt that The Avengers will be your personal benchmark, given that you gave it a 10 and said it was the most thrilling 2 hours and 20 minutes you've ever spent at the cinema. However, regardless of my opinion of either film, for the last four years every comic book and/or superhero film has been compared to The Dark Knight. I have problems with The Dark Knight, but there is absolutely no denying that from a consensus standpoint, it is the "benchmark" at which others are compared. Your nut-busting reaction to The Avengers isn't going immediately erase that consensus. It takes time for that kind of reputation to build, and unfortunately for The Avengers, it only has two months until The Dark Knight Rises comes out.

So, I don't know where you are getting your "facts" from, but if you could point me in the right direction, I would love to see where you found them.