Old 05-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Did the end of this movie, or the 3rd act, remind anyone of Transformers: Dark of the Moon?!
Old 05-05-2012, 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
This film is getting way too much hype,
Shit. The movie didn't even make it a week in theaters before this shit starts.

Ten bucks says the Rant threads about it start soon.

Spoiler:
inb4 "Ugh, didn't even make it a week with overhype sayers before the backlash to the backlash started"
Old 05-05-2012, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
Did the end of this movie, or the 3rd act, remind anyone of Transformers: Dark of the Moon?!
Yeah, but apart from that film where Transformers that we follow get the ultimate "fuck you!" throughout that whole final act, The Avengers know how to bring the spectacle to satisfy the audience. It gets a little tiring near the end, but everything that went on beforehand was so enjoyable that it felt like a misstep apart from a glaring flaw.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChar4321 View Post
Keep telling yourself that and maybe even someday you'll believe it. Avengers is now the benchmark that other will be measured by and no amount of self imposed "head up the ass syndrome" will change that fact.
“Even though Christopher Nolan’s “Dark Knight” films are masterpieces, Marvel, basically, beat DC. Nolan’s films are not part of a larger universe. But the Avengers actually assembled, even though it seemed like a pipe dream just five years ago. Having Thanos show up at the end of “The Avengers” is kinda like a middle finger to DC.”
— Jordan Hoffman, 2012 (via howabouthayden)

Marvel has managed to bring the comic book world to life. DC has brought real life into their comic books.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Think I will wait til Blu-Ray for this. Not sure yet.... Enjoyed the 1st Iron Man flick, but that's the most recent Marvel related comic movie I've seen.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:30 PM
I dream of a day when - somehow - Andrew Garfield and Hugh Jackman show up as Spidey and Wolverine in Avengers 2.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:51 PM
I simply don't understand why there has to be a "fight" between TDK/TDKR and The Avengers. Movies are singular and unique, and should stand and fall on their own merits. They can all exist as the individual films that they are. If you like one more than the other (as the majority of people will tend to do), that's perfectly fine - but why must it become some huge battle?

This is all especially considering that the films are so radically different and have drastically different goals. They aren't even playing in the same wheelhouse. Besides the fact that they are both about superheroes, the films have very little in common. Apples and Oranges.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
I simply don't understand why there has to be a "fight" between TDK/TDKR and The Avengers. Movies are singular and unique, and should stand and fall on their own merits. They can all exist as the individual films that they are. If you like one more than the other (as the majority of people will tend to do), that's perfectly fine - but why must it become some huge battle?

This is all especially considering that the films are so radically different and have drastically different goals. They aren't even playing in the same wheelhouse. Besides the fact that they are both about superheroes, the films have very little in common. Apples and Oranges.
There doesn't have to be a fight, but the comparisons are natural given that they are superhero movies. I agree that they are taking very different approaches, and I think that is what people are ultimately comparing. I don't mind an entertaining and well-constructed superhero movie, but for a superhero movie to really stand out and make me come back for re-watches down the road it needs to provide something extra. To me, Nolan's Batman movies provide that something extra, while few Marvel films do.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:40 AM
I like how TDK fanboys have already assembled, it's cute. Really just leave it be. We all understand you love a guy who has no power whatsoever and dresses like a bat and fights petty criminals, and we expect that you respect our enjoyment of a feminine looking God, a conservative patriot in tights, an arrogant douchebag who has a cool suit and nothing else and a really pissed off green guy who just breaks stuff.

Can we just enjoy a film?
Old 05-06-2012, 12:57 AM
No interest in seeing this, looks bland, on a blockbuster level that is.

I don't like any of the characters, well, i do enjoy IM and Hulk to varying degrees but for me this is merely a collection of b ( and Z ) level Marvel heroes .

Didn't see Thor or Captain America, never had the compulsion too, so both of them in a movie together is a double negative of sorts.

IM 1 was excellent but part 2 proved there was only one good film in that tank concerning the character, that film was dreadfully disappointing.

Hawkeye and Black Widow ( aka the chick that somehow got a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame with a thin resume to her name ) are the height of pointless in a film of this size and scope, why are they there, i don't know and i don't care to find out. I'm sure they were pointless in the comics also, were they in the comics, who cares.

Yes i'm rambling, at least until Spiderman and Batman show up again, not trying to fuel the debate of the best comic book hero films because everyone will have their favorites but once TDKR comes out order will be restored again . I personally think the Amazing Spiderman will be great also.

The Avengers, i'll pass
Old 05-06-2012, 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post

i like the Avengers and Nolan's Batman films equally for different reasons. they both bring me entertainment, which is all i ask for from any filmmaker. that being said, i don't understand why their has to be a "fight" either... but then again i also like Camaros AND Mustangs.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:10 AM
Movie Mini-Review: THE AVENGERS

The Avengers

****1/2 out of ***** (9/10) Outstanding

The Avengers was going to be a difficult film from the outset. It is a film that must include many characters, an epic story, dynamic action, and a villain able to pose a formidable threat to an entire team of superheroes. Luckily, director and co-writer Joss Whedon succeeded in all of these regards. The storyline is suitably epic, involving a possible galactic war. The action scenes are clearly a standout. In fact, this is the most well-orchestrated action movie from Marvel Studios to date by a rather wide margin. Despite the number of combatants on both sides, the action never becomes hard to follow, and there are a lot of rather creative action set pieces throughout. The script is well-written and moves at a near-perfect pace, without a single wasted scene, or a sense that additional scenes should have been included (for the most part). Most importantly, Whedon understood that the main draw of this film was to see all these different characters interact with each other in the same movie, and, in that regard, the film is a complete success. All of these actors put in good performances, but that was to be expected based on their previous film(s) (save for the new actor playing Bruce Banner, who also happens to be the best Banner to date). What will really be a treat to most viewers is the level of chemistry the actors seem to have with one another--a level of chemistry that is rarely seen. Finally, the script includes a lot of humor, all of which is very effective. Were there any flaws? First, Thor's entrance into the movie completely neglects an explanation that should have been provided, considering the way that character's solo film ended. Second, there is a major development in Banner's character arc near the end of the film that occurs very suddenly and is not adequately explained at all. These two flaws do little harm the film, but they are somewhat major plot oversights. Regardless, this is an outstanding superhero film, and is easily the best of the "fun" superhero movies to date (I will not compare this to Nolan's Batman films since they are so completely different). I highly doubt you needed any convincing anyway, but I strongly recommend seeing this film.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilpesh View Post
Shit. The movie didn't even make it a week in theaters before this shit starts.

Ten bucks says the Rant threads about it start soon.

Spoiler:
inb4 "Ugh, didn't even make it a week with overhype sayers before the backlash to the backlash started"
I think when someone doesn't like a movie because the majority does, and get bashed to death for having a different opinion, then you know there's a problem. It's like the guy who wrote a mediocre review in the New York Times and got shitted on by everyone for thinking differently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Space View Post
I thought Iron Man far surpassed TDK. Most of my friends who aren't really comic or movie buffs tend to prefer Iron Man over TDK as well. I think it's a little strange, and ironic that the way you and Oh-Dae-so feel is about exactly how I felt about TDK. It was a meh for me, and the hype was just frustrating. I will never fully understand the dark night hype, the films to me are mediocre and nothing more. Obviously they mean a lot more to some of you which is awesome.

I think what bothered me about TDK is how many people were calling it an amazing film, and a cinematic achievement. I think most of us can agree it is not those things. Avengers on the other hand people are just calling it fun. Nobody is making it as the greatest film of the decade or anything like that. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say we're all just really happy with how much fun the movie was.

I am a little disappointed that you would be willing to lower your own rating for a movie simply because of other peoples enjoyment and hype about it. I don't totally believe that you'd do that either after watching you post for a few years. I think that's more reactionary than anything. Initially I wanted to give TDK a 3 just because listening to all the fanboys was infuriating. I hope you will move passed that and just enjoy the flick.
Your friends' love for Iron Man over TDK is no indication of the movies ultimate supremacy and importance, that's left to the masses who would say the direct opposite. The reason TDK was hyped is 1) Heath Ledger died 2) it had the Joker and 3) it was a movie that set a superhero in an almost completely real world. It broke a new dimension by not following the stereotypes of most, and it ended in a very dark way. And most people would actually agree that it was a great movie and a cinematic achievement. I think that's where I feel the direct opposite only that it's towards The Avengers getting words like this thrown around as being monumental and the new tent pole for comic book movies to follow. This has appealed to the masses because it's a comic book fan's wet dream to see all these guys kick ass, which I don't have a problem with and I'm not trying to rain on other people's parade, but to call this a perfect film is a joke.

And I'm not lowering my rating out of some unnecessary vengeful act to cause drama in these boards, I just think the film isn't 'that' great. And it deserves a rating that looks pass the beautiful last 30 minutes, and instead looks at the entire thing.

Quote:
Keep telling yourself that and maybe even someday you'll believe it. Avengers is now the benchmark that other will be measured by and no amount of self imposed "head up the ass syndrome" will change that fact.
The same was said about Iron Man back in 2008...
Old 05-06-2012, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellamorte dellamore View Post
No interest in seeing this, looks bland, on a blockbuster level that is.

I don't like any of the characters, well, i do enjoy IM and Hulk to varying degrees but for me this is merely a collection of b ( and Z ) level Marvel heroes .

Didn't see Thor or Captain America, never had the compulsion too, so both of them in a movie together is a double negative of sorts.

IM 1 was excellent but part 2 proved there was only one good film in that tank concerning the character, that film was dreadfully disappointing.

Hawkeye and Black Widow ( aka the chick that somehow got a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame with a thin resume to her name ) are the height of pointless in a film of this size and scope, why are they there, i don't know and i don't care to find out. I'm sure they were pointless in the comics also, were they in the comics, who cares.

Yes i'm rambling, at least until Spiderman and Batman show up again, not trying to fuel the debate of the best comic book hero films because everyone will have their favorites but once TDKR comes out order will be restored again . I personally think the Amazing Spiderman will be great also.

The Avengers, i'll pass
LOL! You got to give this film a chance, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

1) If you like IM and Hulk that makes the film worth a view. This is the BEST use of the Hulk so far! Everyone that I know that has seen it so far said that the Hulk scenes are their favorite in the film. Ruffalo is the best Banner so far! Tony Stark's interaction with the rest of the team is classic.

2) If you didn't see Thor or Captain America then you will be missing out on certain key elements of the film. You don't have to see them, but if you did you would know some things right off top. That's the thing about this Avengers film, all of the films before: Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 1 & 2, Thor, and Captain America serve as the backstory and build up to this. I know DC wants to do a Justice League film, but if that is the case they have a long way to go establishing the members.

3) Hawkeye's part was better than you think! LOL! Yes he was in the comics, and actually the leader for a while

I think TDKR will be great. The track record so far is good. The Amazing Spider-Man is looking better and better each trailer. I'm really waiting to see how the new Superman film will be next summer.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
I dream of a day when - somehow - Andrew Garfield and Hugh Jackman show up as Spidey and Wolverine in Avengers 2.
That would be awesome!
Old 05-06-2012, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Space View Post
I like how TDK fanboys have already assembled, it's cute. Really just leave it be. We all understand you love a guy who has no power whatsoever and dresses like a bat and fights petty criminals, and we expect that you respect our enjoyment of a feminine looking God, a conservative patriot in tights, an arrogant douchebag who has a cool suit and nothing else and a really pissed off green guy who just breaks stuff.

Can we just enjoy a film?
Oh absolutely. I think they're two very different approaches to two very different comic book mythologies. I don't see too much reason to compare the two. If anything, people should be saying how The Avengers has become the benchmark for fantastical superhero movies, while Nolan's films remain the benchmark for gritty realism superhero movies.

I now have a lot of love for both Batman and some Marvel characters I didn't care that much about. The Avengers was a really fun film. 8/10
Old 05-06-2012, 09:11 AM
Fact is, after Nolan is done, I want an Arkham Asylum-type film in the tone of Avengers.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:16 AM
Truly though, Marvel needs to get the rights back to Fantastic Four, Spidey and X-Men.

In Avengers, New York was being destroyed, and in the comics, Spidey and the Fantastic Four would have helped.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Truly though, Marvel needs to get the rights back to Fantastic Four, Spidey and X-Men.

In Avengers, New York was being destroyed, and in the comics, Spidey and the Fantastic Four would have helped.
Yeah that would be great and add DareDevil to that list for the hell of it, but you know if the time comes when Fox or Sony (or whoever else owns other Marvel properties) are about to lose the rights, they'll just churn out a quick movie no matter how shitty it is just to hang onto them. I don't know the exact details, but don't they lose the rights after "X" amount of time of not doing anything with them?
Old 05-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Quote:

I would love if Marvel got the Fantastic Four back! Then they could have them help battle Thanos and they could reintroduce Galactus, this time done right.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Fact is, after Nolan is done, I want an Arkham Asylum-type film in the tone of Avengers.
That's probably where you could start comparing the two franchises, if Batman went in that direction that is. They're just so vastly different right now that there's just no need to compare the two. We're kind of blessed as movie fans this summer because we're getting three big comic book blockbusters that are vastly different in tone, theme, and execution. I'm glad they're all releasing within just a couple months of each other. It all helps to make 2012 one of the most epic movie summers we've had in awhile. The bonus is that we have Prometheus wedged in between all the comic book madness, which will surely help most summer movie goers find satisfaction between box office titans like Avengers, The Amazing Spiderman, and The Dark Knight Rises.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose1132 View Post
Yeah that would be great and add DareDevil to that list for the hell of it, but you know if the time comes when Fox or Sony (or whoever else owns other Marvel properties) are about to lose the rights, they'll just churn out a quick movie no matter how shitty it is just to hang onto them. I don't know the exact details, but don't they lose the rights after "X" amount of time of not doing anything with them?
They could "rent" the rights for one movie, for a fee. Sony/Fox would get a nice payday out of it, and they could continue making their solo films the way they want.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:44 AM
I, too, don't understand why there has to be a fight. I love Batman as much as anybody but I feel there is no comparison between the two. Where Captain, America, Thor, Hulk are SUPERHEROES, Batman is a man. Like some alluded to, with no powers to speak of. So therefore, why is there a point in arguing between the two?

I'm looking forward to both tremendously.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:08 AM
I find it hilarious you guys are trying to compare and argue the Avengers to the Dark Knight Rises. Just stop and face facts that Jet Jaguar destroys both, no competition. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KKsVwtd0Fw
Old 05-06-2012, 11:38 AM
The Avengers just broke the opening weekend record with $200 million *
Old 05-06-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
I don't know where you are getting your "facts" from, but if you could point me in the right direction, I would love to see where you found them.
Saying that people forgot about Iron Man simply because TDK came out is a ridiculous statement. Thinking that Avengers (a film that is breaking opening box office records WITHOUT the hype of having any cast members kill themselves) will be forgotten simply because TDKR hits is just as silly.

I'm not saying TDK wasn't a good film but any rudimentary cruising around the Net will find numerous sources calling Avengers the new benchmark. It's not just fans but guys like Richard Roeper etc. Even Jo-Blo front page linked that AMC round table that calls Avengers the best. Statements like "one of the best" or "The most entertaining" have to be included because it really is up to the individual as to what they are measuring. That is what the term benchmark means. There's is no doubt that Avengers is a standard of excellence and now achievement ($200 million domestic), etc., against which similar films must be measured from here on out.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Does anyone else feel like they don't want a Fantastic 4 appearance? I think I am still so scarred from fantastic 4 2 that I really can't imagine going through that again....
Old 05-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Avengers blew my ass away!..In general I try to aviod the hype of blockbuster films and games because it usually does nothing but set you up for disappointment so when I sat down yesterday waiting for Avengers to start I had no idea that about 2 1/2 hours later I would need to pick my jaw up off of the floor...I knew the moment the credits ended that Marvel had hooked me and I cannot wait for an Avengers 2 but even more so I cannot wait to see a solo Hulk film with Ruffalo.Forget the other Hulk films even exist..Easily the best Hulk on film yet...Bravo Marvel..Bravo
Old 05-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Yeah, I don't want to see F4 anywhere near The Avengers. I think the group is just lame. Fox can keep their Galactus smog monster. There's no need for them. There are so many more interesting characters in the Marvel Universe. With Maria Hill now established, I think Whedon should either head in a Civil War direction or even go the Anihilation route with Thanos. I would even be happy with a Shi'Ar story line, can you imagine Thor vs Gladiator...epic.

Oh, Avengers just broke the weekend record, but i'm sure the DC/Batman fanboys will just make up some excuse to render this feat irrelevant. I loved TDK but in no way did I have as much fun watching it as I did with Avengers. Mark my word, TDKR will not make as much as The Avengers opening weekend, not without another tragedy to boost interest (sad to say but we know it's true).
Old 05-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Quick thought:

Those of you who don't understand why people compare TDK and TDKR to Avengers don't read comics and don't understand the level of the rivalry between Marvel and DC. These two companies are the Hatfields and the McCoys, Coke and Pepsi, Nike and Rebok, Microsoft and Apple, Yahoo and Google, Michigan and Ohio State, Duke and North Carolina, the Republicans and the Democrats. They have their knives into each other, and every time something good happens to one, its downplayed by fans of the other, and vice versa. That's the way it is. You'll see some "it wasn't that great" reviews of the Avengers, some of those guys did honestly think it wasn't that great (different strokes for different folks) and some are hardcore DC/Batman fanboys who are hardwired to not like anything from the house of ideas. I suspect the same thing will happen, in reverse, later this summer, when TDKR comes out. I like JoeChar, foe example, but its pretty obvious to me he's a marvel fanboy.

I've been called something of a turncoat because I'm not a "straight ticket voter", I like both companies, and I think comics, as a medium, is absolutely at the peak of its strength when BOTH companies are ridiculously strong. A lot of people disagree with that sentiment, and they want comics to be "the marvel way" or the "DC way". I do not.

Oh, and as for the movie, I'm seeing it on Tuesday night, don't worry about me folks, just a bit sick, but the meds seem to working, and, like a character in marvel comics, I'll "get better".

Last edited by soda; 05-06-2012 at 01:27 PM..
Old 05-06-2012, 01:23 PM
$200 million opening!!! Holy shat!!! Much deserved, and I see a strong second week in it's future mostly due to fans like these

http://youtu.be/qsONSCKOCrw
Old 05-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by petey View Post

Oh, Avengers just broke the weekend record, but i'm sure the DC/Batman fanboys will just make up some excuse to render this feat irrelevant. I loved TDK but in no way did I have as much fun watching it as I did with Avengers. Mark my word, TDKR will not make as much as The Avengers opening weekend, not without another tragedy to boost interest (sad to say but we know it's true).
Old 05-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
pic isn't loading.

EDIT: funny you chose a gif with Nathan Filion who is a Whedon regular. =)
Old 05-06-2012, 01:58 PM
as much as I love all things Batman, and Dark Knight Rises is my most anticipated of the summer.. I do not see it breaking $200 Million on opening weekend. I could be wrong, but I dont see it breaking this record set by Avengers.

Spider Man was the first movie to have an opening weekend of over $100 Million and now The Avengers is the first movie to open to over $200 Million (Although, the number is $200.3 Million.. when actual numbers get released, it is possible for the movie to be under $200 Million)
Old 05-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Yeah, but DKR will have legs over the summer as did TDK.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Thinking that Avengers (a film that is breaking opening box office records WITHOUT the hype of having any cast members kill themselves) will be forgotten simply because TDKR hits is just as silly.
Speaking of someone having his head up his ass. What a tasteless and ignorant comment.

Quote:
it really is up to the individual as to what they are measuring. That is what the term benchmark means. There's is no doubt that Avengers is a standard of excellence and now achievement ($200 million domestic), etc., against which similar films must be measured from here on out.
These were my thoughts when reading this bit of your post...

"Oh, he does get it... wait, he doesn't."

Blatant contradiction.

It most definitely is up to the individual what the benchmark is, but from a consensus standpoint, some comments from Richard Roeper (who changes his mind on shit like this on a daily basis) and AMC Roundtable aren't going to automatically erase what has been a consensus benchmark for four years. Hell, I don't know if it's even MY benchmark, but there's no doubt that the consensus benchmark is The Dark Knight.

Last edited by Bourne101; 05-06-2012 at 05:22 PM..
Old 05-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Thinking that Avengers (a film that is breaking opening box office records WITHOUT the hype of having any cast members kill themselves) will be forgotten simply because TDKR hits is just as silly.
You know, I understand you're a big fan of all things marvel and I also understand your frustration with Nolan Batman fans not giving this film its due, but you're really just stooping to their level when you take a dig at Ledger like that. 1. I thought his death was ruled accidental and 2. His performance was phenomenal, period. You can't take away from his work or the success of the film by saying the only reason it broke records or drew in a crowd was because Ledger died before the film's release. I honestly do not believe that statement is true at all.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:42 PM
There was a discussion a page back about how this movie will be the new benchmark for superhero ambitions, and I think that's almost ironclad. The reviews are astounding, the opening was incredible, and the general reaction is really positive. I'm acknowledging that even though the Avengers might end up flagging where I part ways with the superhero movie because I'm not the audience for them anymore. I didn't think much of the movie, but everybody else did. Most of the film felt like a high profile Power Rangers feature. I'm not engaged by this version of superhero comic books, but there's no more question - this is the popular version of superhero comics. There is no indication that this isn't the new benchmark. Its reviews are unprecedented, its box office is unprecedented, and likely its reception will be unprecedented. Audiences, critics and money have spoken, and I can't imagine why everybody won't listen in the future.

Those of us who shrugged our shoulders and started fidgeting in our seats should accept that we're no longer the audience. We are the odd guys and gals out. Avengers has achieved something as close to universal approval as possible, and I won't be surprised if future properties try to follow this model. I just hope a few superhero adaptions will still come down the line that will interest people like me.

Quote:
Marvel has managed to bring the comic book world to life. DC has brought real life into their comic books.
Great comment on the whole thing. I agree, and it explains where the audience parts ways. The good news for fans of superhero comics is how receptive mainstream audiences have been. So much of Avengers - the economic dialogue, the convolution of disparate ideas from separate universes co-existing (the worm hole into another universe, the alien invasion, mind control), and the almost total detachment from disbelief, is something a lot of comic book fans probably didn't think would ever be so readily embraced. It opens a lot of new doors. Whatever fallout it causes for people like me is negligible, because we aren't the fans and we aren't the people anybody needs to please.

200 mil opening. Hot damn.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:48 PM
The Avengers - 7/10

This was a blast. Whedon did a really good job of balancing the characters and structuring the movie in an efficient and satisfying manner. The action sequences are fantastic and while some may compare the final showdown to that of Transformers: Dark of the Moon, I felt it was much more focused than that and actually served a purpose and gave the characters a goal. There are also some really funny moments that arise naturally from various different situations. The humor rarely felt forced. I do have some issues with the movie though. In my opinion, Iron Man and The Hulk are far and away the most interesting characters used in the movie, and I personally find Captain America, Thor, Hawkeye and Black Widow to be rather uninteresting characters. I think it would have been better to substitute a few of them with characters like Spider-Man and Wolverine. I'm not familiar with the comics though, so I don't know if that would be blasphemy or not. I also had some issues with the plot, which was rather stale. Whedon certainly made the most of it, but it was something we have seen so many times before. Unlimited energy sources, portals, etc. The use of all of these characters is itself original, so why not put them in a story that isn't the basis for every generic superhero movie that we've seen in the last 15 years? Also, while Tom Hiddleston was great as Loki, that character isn't really all that interesting. I wish they went with someone a little more menacing (although his lack of menace does lead to the best scene in the entire film). Overall though, I would say Whedon hit about a triple, just shy of a home run. I think with a better story, some more interesting characters, and a more menacing villain, the sequel could make it over the fence.

Last edited by Bourne101; 06-10-2012 at 10:42 PM..
Old 05-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
There was a discussion a page back about how this movie will be the new benchmark for superhero ambitions, and I think that's almost ironclad. The reviews are astounding, the opening was incredible, and the general reaction is really positive. I'm acknowledging that even though the Avengers might end up flagging where I part ways with the superhero movie because I'm not the audience for them anymore. I didn't think much of the movie, but everybody else did. Most of the film felt like a high profile Power Rangers feature. I'm not engaged by this version of superhero comic books, but there's no more question - this is the popular version of superhero comics. There is no indication that this isn't the new benchmark. Its reviews are unprecedented, its box office is unprecedented, and likely its reception will be unprecedented. Audiences, critics and money have spoken, and I can't imagine why everybody won't listen in the future.

Those of us who shrugged our shoulders and started fidgeting in our seats should accept that we're no longer the audience. We are the odd guys and gals out. Avengers has achieved something as close to universal approval as possible, and I won't be surprised if future properties try to follow this model. I just hope a few superhero adaptions will still come down the line that will interest people like me.
So you are saying the benchmark has been lowered? Interesting. I think you may be right from a standpoint of what studios are going to try and do, but from a quality standpoint, I think people are still going to expect more. The Dark Knight was, and still is (for now), the highest grossing superhero film of all-time. I think there is a reason for that.