Old 03-30-2012, 10:07 AM
Girls

This Judd Apatow produced HBO series premieres on April 15th and based on the trailers it looks quite good. The pilot also played at SXSW to rave reactions. I'm also glad HBO is finally making a show about women that doesn't involve a bunch of disgusting human beings sitting around a table eating salad and complaining about how their lives are so shitty.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:07 PM
Just watched the premiere and it was fucking fantastic and hilarious. The brutal honesty is reminiscent of Louie.

Last edited by Bourne101; 04-16-2012 at 10:47 PM..
Old 04-17-2012, 11:15 AM
The premier had ludicrously good reviews across the board. Definitely has me intrigued to start watching. I'll probably give it a few episodes to see if I like it.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:31 AM

Caught the premiere after Eastbound & Down, and I really liked it to be honest. I hadn't really been paying much attention to this (or the reviews), but I'll definitely be sticking with it for a while. Certainly not what I expected though, I'll say that.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:34 PM
I didn't get much laughs from the premiere, but it had such a good "sit back and enjoy the ride" feeling with the characters and the predicaments that I didn't care.

I'll certainly be watching the next episodes.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HyDe807 View Post
I didn't get much laughs from the premiere, but it had such a good "sit back and enjoy the ride" feeling with the characters and the predicaments that I didn't care.

I'll certainly be watching the next episodes.
My sentiments, pretty much.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:54 PM
Seems very much the definition of "dramedy."
Old 04-23-2012, 12:16 AM
Pretty funny episode tonight. The job interview was awesome.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:29 PM
Okay so I havent seen an episode yet (I don't have HBO) but holy crap this show is getting tons of shit (mainly due to the cast being all white)

The Huffingtonpost reviewer is quite harsh
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ruth-f...=Entertainment
Old 04-23-2012, 02:55 PM
LOL, it had to come at some point. The string of raves leading up to its premiere was never going to last.

But what a load of shit that article was. I shudder to think about what she thinks of Wes Anderson or Noah Baumbach. I'm sorry, but how the fuck can you put the blame on Lena Dunham (who made Tiny Furniture with less money than a child has in his piggy bank) for the lack of black casts on television shows? This Ruth Fowler woman needs to wake the fuck up. Sex and the City and Desperate Housewives shouldn't be mentioned in the same fucking sentence as this show. I doubt this woman even watched the show.

Last edited by Bourne101; 04-23-2012 at 03:09 PM..
Old 04-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
LOL, it had to come at some point. The string of raves leading up to its premiere was never going to last.

But what a load of shit that article was. I shudder to think about what she thinks of Wes Anderson or Noah Baumbach. I'm sorry, but how the fuck can you put the blame on Lena Dunham (who made Tiny Furniture with less money than a child has in his piggy bank) for the lack of black casts on television shows? This Ruth Fowler woman needs to wake the fuck up. Sex and the City and Desperate Housewives shouldn't be mentioned in the same fucking sentence as this show. I doubt this woman even watched the show.
Yep. I've heard lots of people talking about the all white cast, the trust fund babies, the rich white people problems... how is that now 90% of everything else that is on television as well? Why is this the one show that suddenly gets all of those descriptors? Strange.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
Yep. I've heard lots of people talking about the all white cast, the trust fund babies, the rich white people problems... how is that now 90% of everything else that is on television as well? Why is this the one show that suddenly gets all of those descriptors? Strange.
She also specifically takes jabs at HBO, who have made more effort than any other network in casting people of various races and exploring different cultures. I don't get why Girls not having a black lead is suddenly the end of the world. I agree that more black actors and actresses need to be cast in lead roles, but I don't think it is necessary for this show. The lead character only has one legitimate friend who is a permanent NY resident. She doesn't have the circles of friends that fuckin' Ruth Fowler has. I also don't remember there being any racial stereotypes of any sort in the first two episodes. She is either pulling those out of her ass or I just didn't see them.

And it's not like these characters are dripping with wealth like those in Sex and the City and Desperate Housewives. They seem to come from middle class families and are now living in NY with very little money.

This is the difference between Girls and Sex and the City...

A typical scene in Sex and the City: Four extremely wealthy women who apparently have never had a job in their lives sit around a table sipping cosmos and talking about all the men they have banged. We're expected to feel sorry for them when one of them gets a stain on their $10,000 dress.

A typical scene in Girls: A girl living in NY who had to leave an internship because they hadn't hired her after a year has no money and goes to an interview to get a mediocre office job. In said interview, she has a witty back-and-forth with the interviewer before feeling so comfortable that she makes a joke about rape. She doesn't get the job.

One is about fake, dishonest, beyond wealthy pieces of shit talking about nothing interesting. The other is about honest 20-somethings trying to make their way in NY, while getting themselves into funny predicaments.

There is a line, but these two shows are not on the same side of it.

Last edited by Bourne101; 04-23-2012 at 04:32 PM..
Old 04-23-2012, 10:27 PM
Sticking a black lead in this show would make about as much sense as sticking a white lead in any Tyler Perry movie.

I'm all for the cause. Especially when it comes to people like Danny Glover having to swallow up decades of his life to make a movie starring black actors that would've gotten financed ASAP if it was a white movie. But this is very clearly an instance of misplaced moralism.

That said, I fail to see how this show could be hurt by some Chalky White.

Last edited by Gordon; 04-23-2012 at 10:32 PM..
Old 04-24-2012, 12:22 PM

To be honest, I fail to see how any of it matters. This "controversy" is the stupidest of its kind I can personally remember. That being said, I liked the second episode more than the pilot. This show certainly has a different feel than anything else on TV at the moment, and while I can't say I find myself laughing a lot during the episodes, I still like the show a lot.

This episode definitely gave the audience a much more sympathetic view of the main cast, and worked all the better due to the lack of that in the pilot. Not sure how many episodes this is getting but I'll be sticking with it for the first season.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:32 AM
Damn this show is good, the writing is incredible. Loved that last scene.

Last edited by Bourne101; 04-30-2012 at 12:44 AM..
Old 04-30-2012, 02:27 PM
If this show turns out as good as Sex in the City (the HBO series, not the movies), that's high praise. It looks to be as brave. But like Sex in the City, I'm not interested. I don't relate to these sorts of characters, in these sorts of shows. If someone writes about girls in their mid 20s and their struggles in relationships well enough, it's not going to be universal. If someone writes about privileged girls in their mid 20s and their struggles in relationships and privilege well enough, it's not going to be universal. And so on. I'm a young man. I'm not frothing at the mouth to watch young women struggle with relationships, especially not when it's genuine enough to not pander to my sensibilities.

But I respect shows I can like without being interested in, so here's to ya.

What is interesting about Girls is how... The 'womangirl', as opposed to 'manboy', is only a new idea because it's about the other gender, right? There are a lot of manboy shows on about 20something guys struggling with adulthood, and although they sometimes get hit with flack about them being irresponsible portrayals for a generation already in doubt, I wonder if Girls will get hit harder just because it's about girls. I wonder if audiences have more tolerance for stunted young men than they do stunted young women (at least young women stunted with privilege).

How are the ratings?
Old 04-30-2012, 05:37 PM
This and Veep got renewed for second seasons. Pretty stoked!
Old 05-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Holy. Shit.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Holy. Shit.
Yeah, that final moment was BRUTAL!
Old 05-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HyDe807 View Post
Yeah, that final moment was BRUTAL!
Spoiler:
Yeah, I had forgotten about the diary bit at that point and was about to roll my eyes at the boyfriend singing to Marnie. Then BOOM, shit does down. I honestly don't know how a friendship can recover from that shit, haha.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:47 AM
Last episode was a definite highlight.

Im not a bleeder, I totally wont get attached...

I watched Lena Dunham's Tiny Furniture last night and rather enjoyed it. It's standard 'mumblecore' womanchild fare...but it's thoughtful and funny and strangely endearing.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:11 PM
Quote:
I'm a young man. I'm not frothing at the mouth to watch young women struggle with relationships, especially not when it's genuine enough to not pander to my sensibilities.
...and then I started the second episode.

Funny stuff. Great show.

nm
Old 05-10-2012, 04:05 PM

Glad to hear that this and Veep were renewed, because they're both really excellent shows (two of my favorite news shows of the year, easily), although I didn't expect to like this show nearly as much as I do, considering I'm a 27 year old male. The latest episode was another really good one, although the third is still my favorite thus far.

HBO has really been on a roll this year, but I'm still sore over Luck being cancelled. I know it started slow, but from the fourth episode to the finale was fan-fucking-tastic. Life's Too Short wasn't amazing, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't really enjoy it. And I'm way off-topic, but seeing as there isn't a general "HBO is awesome" thread I figured I'd throw it in here.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:02 AM
I like this show so far. I'm surprised.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:43 PM
God damn, good to see Lou Taylor Pucci go ahead and Lou Taylor Pucci the shit out of this show, even though his talents were criminally wasted.

Last edited by Gordon; 05-21-2012 at 09:46 PM..
Old 05-29-2012, 10:20 AM
"I'm your crack spirit guide... STOP!"
Old 06-11-2012, 12:16 AM
I was really trying not to watch this show because some of what I was hearing was that it was very "hipster centric". God knows I got enough of that living in New York for ten years. One of my friends decided to stop watching after the 3rd or 4th episode. I finally watched all 8 episodes (at the time), and it was painfully familiar in that it captures some specific parts of the insanity that is being in your twenties, out of college, in New York City. And while its a VERY specific type of New York experience it still manages to squeeze out very authentic female New York experiences. However there is a point where a LOT of the dialogue is teeth-grindingly annoying, which really reminds me of the type of girls like the ones of the show I've run into, and made me wonder how many times I indulged in that type of whining when I was that age (probably a lot) .

So I'm gonna keep watching.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:25 AM
Strange finale, but I dug it. Looking forward to Season 2.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:12 AM
Just caught up with this show, it's great, bring on season 2
Old 08-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Just finished season 1 yesterday. I love the virgin girl characters. I cant wait to see her weirdness and quirkiness in season 2. She reminds me of Zooey in the show New Girl
Old 09-26-2012, 05:04 PM
I've watched the first episodes and this is definitely right up my alley. This is, honestly, what I wish Entourage had been more like (and it was early on) with real drama and humor to make it more relatable.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:30 PM
"What? Are her mustards not receiving enough accolades?"

Hahaha. This season so far is as good or better than the first season.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:44 PM
When I moved, I left behind my HBO subscription...but not my old roommate's HBO Go log-in info I'll have to start cranking out season 2 episodes!
Old 02-10-2013, 04:01 PM
Quote:
"What? Are her mustards not receiving enough accolades?"

Hahaha. This season so far is as good or better than the first season.
Something about the first couple of episodes of season 2 felt a little off, but these last two episodes have been excellent.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:51 AM
I fucking love Adam.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:35 PM
That last episode was my favourite episode of the show so far...yeah Adam is amazing.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:09 AM
I couldn't sit through the first episode but from what I've heard it's a great show. Should I force myself and try again? Will I get hooked?
Old 02-22-2013, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrown View Post
I couldn't sit through the first episode but from what I've heard it's a great show. Should I force myself and try again? Will I get hooked?
I dunno. Most people seem to say yes. I kind of hated the pilot but was told if I gave it til episode 3, I'd be a convert. I gave it til episode 3 and was left wondering whether it's the worst show currently on T.V. or the worst show ever on T.V. I also thought Tiny Furniture was god-fucking-awful though and lots of people seemed to enjoy that.

It's not for everyone, if you, like me, actually had a hard time sitting through the pilot I'd say it doesn't get any better.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:00 PM
Every time I hear the words 'critically acclaimed' in association with this show, it serves as a reminder that critics sometimes have bad taste, too.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:50 PM
This show is brilliant. Probably the best thing on television at the moment.