Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2012, 12:09 AM
This whole thing is just.....awesome as fuck....
Old 04-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
Oh dude, they've been filming in TO since November man. "Still Seas" is their cover production name, kinda like TDK had "Rory's First Kiss"

I think our big reveal of Rim is gonna be with TDKR, and Comic Con, no doubt it'll have a presence.

They're finishing main filming on April 23, so if you guys are locals in TO go scope around they've been filming mostly at Toronto Pinewood studios, but I think they're doing some stuff on streets too as JCPhoenix posted
Ahhh good to know re the production name. I figured that was the case but got a little worried after reading that article heh.

Can't wait to see some footage from this.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:43 AM
They were looking for extras for a lab scene in a production titled "Still Seas" dir. Del Toro starring one Idris Elba. Of course I knew it was Pacific Rim. I was SO CLOSE in sending in a photo but work has me tied down in Montreal

I'm seriously considering making a move to TO though, seems like a lot of movie action is happening there...

Anyway, I digress. I'm looking forward to this film big time. Anyone who actually lives in TO should check out the Del Toro lectures on Hitchcock (news was posted on JoBLo a few days ago I believe). Sounds like some awesome education.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:30 AM
I have no doubt in my mind Rim is going to be one of the BIG Event films of Summer 2013. It's also shaping up to be a great Summer season
Old 04-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Quote:
I have no doubt in my mind Rim is going to be one of the BIG Event films of Summer 2013. It's also shaping up to be a great Summer season
Completely agree on both counts.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:03 AM
Since there's no official promo material from the film so far, I figured we quench our thirst with some artwork from the people who are working on the film

Here are some Francisco Ruiz Velasco concept art for a non-related project, however it has Giant Fucking Robots™, so we get an idea of some of the designs for Rim.

I found this, what seems to be another teaser poster on Guy Davis' site

and some words from Davis himself

Quote:
"Catching up on the website news after returning home from 11 months away working as part of Guillermo del Toro's core concept team on the upcoming PACIFIC RIM film! It was an amazing experience to be there from early concept and get to see it take shape into filming, and an honor to work alongside an incredible group of inspiring concept artists and friends. The film's not out until 2013, so there's not much I'm allowed to say or post for now, but will update more on it when I can."
Here's some Wayne Barlowe art

Old 04-17-2012, 09:54 PM
Just a few bits from GDT himself

When asked about whether Rim will use motion capture.

Quote:
"No motion capture. All Key Frame. The cadence and gait of something 250 feet tall cannot be exactly human EVEN if its human operated.

G"
when asked whether he'll pay any kind of homages to the Japanese kaiju films.

Quote:
"There are Iconic moments in the film but we are trying to focus on CREATING moments rather than making an hommage.

Best

G"
Old 05-03-2012, 01:21 AM
Quote:
This movie has been BAR NONE the best creative experience I've ever had.

G
Damn. Anyway, SDCC is when this stuff is going to ignite its promotion and incrementally increase thereon. No doubt in my mind that this is a hit, not only that but once it makes its appearance at SDCC the internet will blow up
Old 05-04-2012, 05:45 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Shows/1221.../ID=2230020888
Old 05-22-2012, 10:22 PM
Official Plot http://www.legendary.com/films/pacific-rim/

Quote:
From acclaimed filmmaker Guillermo del Toro comes Warner Bros. Pictures' and Legendary Pictures' epic sci-fi action adventure "Pacific Rim."

When legions of monstrous creatures, known as Kaiju, started rising from the sea, a war began that would take millions of lives and consume humanity's resources for years on end. To combat the giant Kaiju, a special type of weapon was devised: massive robots, called Jaegers, which are controlled simultaneously by two pilots whose minds are locked in a neural bridge. But even the Jaegers are proving nearly defenseless in the face of the relentless Kaiju. On the verge of defeat, the forces defending mankind have no choice but to turn to two unlikely heroes-a washed up former pilot (Charlie Hunnam) and an untested trainee (Rinko Kikuchi)-who are teamed to drive a legendary but seemingly obsolete Jaeger from the past. Together, they stand as mankind's last hope against the mounting apocalypse.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:48 PM
I'm sorry, but this is most likely going to flop if it did indeed cost $200 million to make.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:30 AM
It won't.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:17 PM
I really think the plot synopsis sounds awesome and I don't think it will bomb, people ate up transformers and this is kinda similar just on the point of giant robots and I am sure the monsters will look amazing. However, I beleive the story and plot and basically everything in the movie will be much better than Transformers, I really hope this delievers.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderStorm View Post
I really think the plot synopsis sounds awesome and I don't think it will bomb, people ate up transformers and this is kinda similar just on the point of giant robots and I am sure the monsters will look amazing. However, I beleive the story and plot and basically everything in the movie will be much better than Transformers, I really hope this delievers.
Damn right it will be better than Transformers. Del Toro is skilled in ways Bay can't even dream of.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:09 PM
Quote:
It won't.
So a film that doesn't have many popular faces, directed by the guy who's mainly famous for Hellboy--which neither made $100 domestically--is going to create a box-office smash? I doubt it. I'm not saying it won't be good, the synopsis sounds 'interesting', but it won't be even close to the money maker as Transformers or possibly even G.I. Joe.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychocandy View Post
Damn right it will be better than Transformers. Del Toro is skilled in ways Bay can't even dream of.
Definitely I was just trying to say that giant robots work in regard to the general movie going public as shown by the transformer grosses, but yes Del Toro is on a complete different level.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
So a film that doesn't have many popular faces, directed by the guy who's mainly famous for Hellboy--which neither made $100 domestically--is going to create a box-office smash? I doubt it. I'm not saying it won't be good, the synopsis sounds 'interesting', but it won't be even close to the money maker as Transformers or possibly even G.I. Joe.
Crowds will see posters and trailers with huge robots fighting monsters, I think it'll get asses in seats.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Did "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" have "popular faces" when it banked 300+ mil ? It's not all about the faces in the film, when did the content and the concept seized to matter? And you can mark my words it will make bank.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Three words for you.

1. Joss
2. Whedon
3. Avengers
Old 05-24-2012, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
Crowds will see posters and trailers with huge robots fighting monsters, I think it'll get asses in seats.
I hope your right because it seems like concepts like this either work (Transformers) or fail (Battleship, Skyline).

Quote:
Did "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" have "popular faces" when it banked 300+ mil ? It's not all about the faces in the film, when did the content and the concept seized to matter? And you can mark my words it will make bank.
You're right, there are a few exceptions where popularity is unnecessary for a movie to become a successful. But there are plenty of other examples where the talent was present, but the audience just wasn't there. Del Toro has many fans, but enough to get the general audience is the question. Sometimes nonstop action happening on screen isn't enough to sell a film, once again, look at Battleship. So I think the studio is putting up a lot of money for something that may not do so well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychocandy View Post
Three words for you.

1. Joss
2. Whedon
3. Avengers
Three for you.

1. Robert Downey Jr.
2. Marvel/Disney
3. Team-up on an epic scale
Old 05-24-2012, 05:44 PM
I don't really get the Avengers comparison? That's an established mega-franchise made up of a bunch of already big franchises that combined had banked close to 2 billion worldwide beforehand. And it was certainly not lacking in cast Avengers doing as well as it did wasn't surprising at all.

Not to say I don't agree with the majority consensus - it's more likely than not that Pacific Rim will be profitable. Assuming the movie is good (and hell, even if it's bad), this is the kind of movie that has big appeal in the international box office, regardless of the domestic situation.

Look at Battleship - which looked terrible in every way, and has still managed to bank $200 mill in the international box office to date.

If Pacific Rim actually looks good and is sold well (which I'm sure it will be), it'll do far more business than Battleship - Battleship was the low end of what this kind of movie can do. And on top of that, remember that Pacific Rim is also a far more epic-scale film from what we know, that will have parts set in at least Japan, China, Australia, Russia - which again, expands the international appeal.

This is the kind of movie that won't have to rely heavily on its domestic take to break even - though as long as it turns out to be a good movie of this sort, I think the audiences will follow, both domestically and internationally.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:13 AM
I wasn't making a comparison between the franchises. Just the talent behind them. Whedon hadn't struck gold before Avengers. If anything he had found less success than Del Toro. All i'm saying is don't doubt Del Toro's ability to turn this into a big earner. But while I do hope it's successful...i'm more keen on it being as good as I think it potentially could be.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post
This is the kind of movie that won't have to rely heavily on its domestic take to break even - though as long as it turns out to be a good movie of this sort, I think the audiences will follow, both domestically and internationally.
Exactly.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Well said JCPhoenix.

Pacific Rim is going to make a presence at Comic Con - that's officially 48 days. The first official teaser will be attached to TDKR on the 20th. Right there is your word of mouth. And I'm sure they're cooking up a teaser that hooks.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:01 PM
That's a bad motherfucker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Au2POdGCEAATzL1.jpg-large.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	10201  

Last edited by ThunderStorm; 06-09-2012 at 01:36 AM..
Old 06-20-2012, 12:43 PM
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=62034

Some interesting tidbits of information.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:13 PM
First look we have of Charlie Hunnam and Rinko Kikuchi , I really like the designs of the suits, very futuristic looking and look very sleek and high tech. Hopefully, this will be a break out role for Charlie Hunnam the guy is an underrated actor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PR_hunnamsuit_big.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	10250  
Old 07-03-2012, 05:46 PM
Old 07-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Comic Con poster plus first look we have at a Jaeger, damn that looks big as fuck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pacific-rim_poster.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	10267  
Old 07-07-2012, 02:25 PM
I enjoy a lot of del Toro's work, I'm definitely eager to see a teaser...
Old 07-07-2012, 07:19 PM
They're saving the teaser for The Dark Knight Rises. It's also going to premiere at Comic Con as well. They'll reveal what the kaijus look like then. I'm really excited. This is my most anticipated film of next summer.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:25 PM

I never thought I would see imagery like that on a live action movie poster. Always thought that kind of coolness was only reserved for anime.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:46 AM
http://collider.com/pacific-rim-imag...9/#more-179049

Quote:
“I am an obsessive compulsive, and I can tell you without any shadow of a doubt I am involved very deeply on everything, from the pin on the lapel of a jacket to which way the monster’s eye slants. I am essentially a socially inept creature. I dedicate my entire life to this. This is what I do, this is what I live for.”
Quote:
Every one of his monsters, which fans will be able to see for the first time on Saturday at a Warner Bros. panel, will have individual personalities and abilities. Some are adept at swimming in the depths of the sea, others fly, and one even vomits corrosive magma-like liquid. “There’s a lot to love,” del Toro quips.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:59 PM
I can't fucking wait for this flick!
Old 07-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post
I was iffy on some of Djawadi's work on Game of Thrones in the first few episodes but the back-half episodes had some decent cues. I'm sure del Toro knows what he's looking for and Djawadi is no stranger to blockbuster work after all.

Can I just say how happy I am that there is a completely original, big-budget tentpole sci-fi flick coming out next year. And not just this one - we've got Joseph Kosinski's Oblivion as well. I'm just happy that studios are taking a few gambles for the tentpole films again rather than giving us yet another sequel or comic book adaptation, etc.
You and me both. I think the success enjoyed by Inception, District 9, and Avatar made studios more open to originally-written tentpoles.

Oh, and don't forget: Blomkamp's ELYSIUM is also due out next year.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:47 AM
Old 07-14-2012, 06:33 PM
Quote:
The trailer re-defines the term epic. Massive robots fighting massive monsters in a futuristic society. Hardwick asks Del Torro how he did that, “That’s just the tip” he says.
Quote:
Del Toro says “No fucking motion capture” and ”you treat the resources with respect. You don’t use CGI to save work, you use it as a tool to make it better.” Lots of the scenes are done organically, with onset effects.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/com...s-pacific-rim/

Last edited by Digifruitella; 07-14-2012 at 06:37 PM..
Old 07-14-2012, 06:47 PM
This is unrelated, kind of (content is same huh) but they apparently had a secret reveal for a Godzilla remake, from the director of Gareth Edwards. This is pretty nuts. Reactions were great.

Poster

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2012/0...san-diego.html

The year of kaijus!
Old 07-15-2012, 12:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tZZ...layer_embedded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf6gmnpda6M
Old 07-15-2012, 11:36 AM
I am glad to be hearing from various sites and stuff that the footage is great, I really hope that the footage somehow gets released online because Del Toro said they are going on a blackout until the end of the year.