Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978)
Last House On The Left
Let Me In
Mother's Day
The Omega Man (The Last Man On Earth)
The Ring
The Thing (1982)
Willard

Last edited by Antonio141; 09-28-2013 at 05:47 AM..
Old 06-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio141 View Post
HONORABLE MENTIONS
Friday The 13th
Fright Night
The Hitcher
Night Of The Living Dead
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Not just no, but fuck no.

I think most would call bullshit on Cape Fear as well.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:42 PM
I never saw the original Cape Fear but I HATED the remake. DeNiro was mildly entertaining but everyone else sucked. Lewis was the absolute worst!!
Old 06-05-2012, 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar Fanatic View Post
Not just no, but fuck no.

I think most would call bullshit on Cape Fear as well.
I respect your opinion, but for me the F13 reboot was miles better than the new versions of HALLOWEEN & ELM STREET...the Clay/Whitney/Jenna trio saved that movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight101 View Post
I never saw the original Cape Fear but I HATED the remake. DeNiro was mildly entertaining but everyone else sucked. Lewis was the absolute worst!!
I watched the CAPE FEAR remake recently after several years & I thought DeNiro was so over-the-top and unlikable with no redeeming qualities at all, but Nolte underplaying it, Lange at her neurotic paranoid best and Juliette making her mark in an astounding Oscar-worthy role...yet again another trio who surprisingly shined while going up against the mighty Raging Bull! The movie was great up until the final act when they actually traveled to the title location. What a letdown!
Old 06-05-2012, 10:20 AM
I agree on Friday the 13th. The remake is way better than the original, which was, IMO, a horrible piece of shit of a movie!

Even though the When a Stranger Calls remake never reaches above the level of mediocrity, that still better than the horrible original IMO.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:37 PM
I enjoyed The Thing (1982) > The Thing (2011), Cape Fear, Shutter, and The Grudge

But one of the newer remakes I despise is The Fog. What a dishonor to Carpenter and Jamie Lee Curtis.

Last edited by The DragonKeeper; 06-06-2012 at 11:40 PM..
Old 06-26-2012, 09:15 AM
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Thing (1982) aren't remakes, they are re-adaptations of novels and novellas like "The Thing (1982)" is another adaptation of the 1938 novella "Who Goes There".
Old 06-26-2012, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoPanFan View Post
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Thing (1982) aren't remakes, they are re-adaptations of novels and novellas like "The Thing (1982)" is another adaptation of the 1938 novella "Who Goes There".
Thanks for clarifying! Do you know who shot JFK as well, you little all-knowing fuckjob??? Who gives a flying fuck whether the adaptation is from a previous film or a novel?

Last edited by Antonio141; 06-27-2012 at 11:20 PM..
Old 06-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Thanks for clarifying! Do you know who shot JFK as well, you little all-knowing fuckjob??? Who gives a flying fuck whether the adaptation is from a previous film or a novel?
And so the first bitchfist was thrown . . .
Old 06-28-2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magjournal View Post
And so the first bitchfist was thrown . . .
Not really a bitchfest but definitely a fucking punch! HaHaHa!
Old 06-29-2012, 03:17 PM
i would say the ring, the thing, the fly, woman in black, the hills have eyes, and house on haunted hill.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:51 PM
The Amityville Horror:Who cares?
The Blob:Yes
Cape Fearebatable
Dawn Of The Dead:No
Dorian Gray:N/A
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1941)on't remember
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo:Haven't seen it.
I Saw What You Did! (1988):N/A
Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978):Yes
Last House On The Left:Yes
Let Me In:No
Mother's Day:Yes
The Omega Man (The Last Man On Earth):?
The Ringon't know
The Thing (1982):Yes
Willard:Maybe

[B]HONORABLE MENTIONS
Assault On Precinct 13:Haven't seen the original in years
Dark ShadowsL?
Diabolique:N/A
The Echo (Sigaw)
The Fly:Yes
Friday The 13th:No
Fright Night:Haven't seen the original in years.
The Hitcher:Hell no.
My Bloody Valentine:Possible
Night Of The Living Dead:Nope
The Omen:No way in hell
The Shining:Really? No way in hell.
Shutter:Who cares
Straw Dogs:Hell no
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre:Could be.
The Woman In Black:Haven't seen it.

BOTTOM OF THE BARREL
Black Christmas:Fuck no.
The Fog:No.
Halloween 2:No
House Of Wax:Maybe
Psycho:Hello

SOMEWHERE IN THE MIDDLE
[B]Carrie:No
Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark:N/A
Halloween:Shit no. The remake is total shit.
A Nightmare On Elm Street:No.
The Ring Two:N/A
Old 07-16-2012, 04:59 PM
I'll probably be hated on for this, but:
Dawn of the Dead

Yeah, the original was influential. Yeah, there are some good moments. but:
1. It is still extremely cheesy. Maybe it's supposed to be part Horror, part Comedy, but there are better movies in that genre as well.
2. The blue make-up looks bad when compared to the effects we can do today. Like that apartment scene. I see that one black guy and think, "When did Richard Pryor drown?"

The remake is a pure blast. Not the greatest movie ever made, but still awesome. And don't even start crying to me about running zombies. There's a good chance that if your body chemistry has changed enough to make you and undead, cannibalistic corpse, then it could probably bypass rigor-mortis.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:24 PM
The blood in the original Dawn of The Dead was incredibly fake as well. It's the fakest looking blood I've seen on screen. Even worse then the shit Troma uses in their movies. I think Savini used 3M to supply it, whatever it was a bad call. Regardless though the Original is better.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint77 View Post
I'll probably be hated on for this, but:
Dawn of the Dead

Yeah, the original was influential. Yeah, there are some good moments. but:
1. It is still extremely cheesy. Maybe it's supposed to be part Horror, part Comedy, but there are better movies in that genre as well.
2. The blue make-up looks bad when compared to the effects we can do today. Like that apartment scene. I see that one black guy and think, "When did Richard Pryor drown?"

The remake is a pure blast. Not the greatest movie ever made, but still awesome. And don't even start crying to me about running zombies. There's a good chance that if your body chemistry has changed enough to make you and undead, cannibalistic corpse, then it could probably bypass rigor-mortis.
I totally agree! This is always the first remake (of a sequel no less!) that comes to mind when this topic is brought up...
Old 07-20-2012, 08:49 AM
Better than the Original:

The Last House on the Left
I Spit on Your Grave
The Fly
The Thing (1982)
Piranha
The Hills Have Eyes
----------------------------------
As Good:

Fright Night
Hammer Dracula's
Hammer Frankenstein's
Let Me In
Old 07-21-2012, 10:31 AM
Dawn of the Dead, The Ring, Last House on the Left, The Thing (1982), Cape Fear, Friday the 13th.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:40 PM

[QUOTE=Antonio141;3559040][B]The Amityville Horror

Actually the crappy remake can't touch the original. Nowhere near actually. The 1979 film was a classic and was much more successful at the box office. It influenced 'The Shining' and 'Poltergeist'. The remake is a cash in on the name. And it clocks in at a pathetic 89 minutes, and makes up a crock of shit along the way, while leaving out the proper story. Typical Michael Bay movie.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Some of those movies you mentioned are NOT TRUE remakes.

To me, remakes and re-adaptations are 2 very different things.

For example, I LOATH it when The Thing is called a "remake" of The Thing from Another World which is often refered to as "the original", IT's NOT! they have little in common other than hostile alien and polar regions plus the name, sure there are 2 homages to the 1951 film like circle of men and the opening title but those are also about it as i refuse to call The Thing a remake. They share a name/title but everything like the location (one in the south pole and the other in the north pole), the characters and their backgrounds, the origin/discovery of the spaceship, the characters and their backgrounds, the nature/methods of the alien (one is a dumbed down killer vampire vegetable that sucked blood and could reproduce itself yet it wasn't the imitator from the story where the other is a parasitic organism that could imitate other lifeforms by cell structure), the ways to kill the monster (one by fire and one by electricity), the discovery of the alien, etc. are very different. They are 2 separate and very different films and both are adaptations of John W. Campbell's 1938 novella "Who Goes There", the 1951 film is a very good movie on it's own but in reality it's truly one of the worst book to film adaptations of all time! it strayed too far from Campbell's story and ditched some things as it had little respect to the source material. Carpenter's film is what i always refer to as the true original as it is a standalone film and actually a very faithful adaptation of the story and is by far the quintessential faithful adaptation of Campbell's novella. I urge everyone to read the original short story which can be read online and you'll see why the 1951 film is a terrible terrible adaptation and Carpenter's film is an excellent adaptation. If Carpenter's film was titled "Who Goes There" instead it would been easier.

Remakes refer ONLY to films based on original screenplays and here are the examples of TRUE remakes not based on source material but original screenplays:
The Blob.
Fright Night.
Night of the Living Dead.
Dawn of the Dead.
My Bloody Valentine.
The Hills have Eyes.
Last House on The Left.
Halloween.
The Ring.

Those are 100 percent true remakes in every sense of the word and while i don't think Night, Dawn, Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre etc. are better than their originals they are still enjoyable remakes. Now Hills i considered better than the original including The Blob.

Re-adaptations means another adaptation of a book/comic/novella and these are based on novels and novellas and not on original screenplays:
The Thing.
Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
The Omega Man, I Am Legend and Last Man on Earth are all based on Richard Matheson's novel "I Am Legend" and separate from each other.
Dracula and Frankenstein films.
The Fly.
Carrie 2002 and 2013.
The Shining.

Let Me In was more remake of the previous film and less of an adaptation of the novel as it's a remake since it's based on the first film's screenplay but only loosely to the novel.

I'm just educating people here what is the difference between remakes and re-adaptations on different definitions of what they mean, i have better film and book knowledge than anyone here who knows the huge difference.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:11 PM
Someone's mad.

Tapatalking from my bed. Ya mutha says hi.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:36 AM
Psycho!
Old 06-10-2013, 05:29 PM
Quote:
The remake is a pure blast. Not the greatest movie ever made, but still awesome. And don't even start crying to me about running zombies
That's the internet for ya. So many online whiners when back in 1985 Return of the Living Dead already featured running zombies (that could talk and lay ambushes and actually introduced brain eating). Also there was the outrage that Dawn was getting remade, again ignoring the fact the original NotLD was already remade 14 years earlier. But no internet at that time so nobody gave a shit.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:21 PM
Don't forget Nightmare City and Lifeforce also made fast zombies earlier with The Stuff and Return of the Living Dead.

And they think Twilight created a new breed of vampire different than traditional vampires, well in some films in the past there has been different breeds of vampires shown in different non-traditional ways like explained in Captain Kronos.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:01 PM
Night of the Living Dead (1990) - Tony Todd is awesome and I liked that the female lead was actually not totally useless.

Dawn of the Dead (2004) - The first one has it's charms, but I feel like it's over-rated. It just feels too "70's". Also, no cheesy blue makeup this time around.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Gonna go with the following:

Friday the 13th
Dawn of the Dead
The Amityville Horror
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Hills Have Eyes
Funny Games
Piranha
Old 08-13-2013, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
Gonna go with the following:

Friday the 13th
Dawn of the Dead
The Amityville Horror
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Hills Have Eyes
Funny Games
Piranha
A good list. And I pretty much agree with all of them. Except I really didn't like The updated version of Friday The 13th. But having said that, the original I liked even less.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:13 AM
My Bloody Valentine? No way.

The Hills Have Eyes? Yes way.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:44 AM
Quote:
Night of the Living Dead (1990) - Tony Todd is awesome and I liked that the female lead was actually not totally useless.

Dawn of the Dead (2004) - The first one has it's charms, but I feel like it's over-rated. It just feels too "70's". Also, no cheesy blue makeup this time around.
I enjoy the DOTD remake... But it feels like most of the other action movies made this decade.

The NOTD remake is fine, and I agree with you about the female lead.... But there is just something about the low budget of the original that makes it better. The remake sort of has that made for TV quality to it.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Quote:
The Amityville Horror
The Blob
Cape Fear
Dawn Of The Dead
Dorian Gray
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1941)
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
I Saw What You Did! (1988)
Last House On The Left
Let Me In
Mother's Day
The Omega Man (The Last Man On Earth)
The Ring
The Thing (1982)
Willard
And this ladies and gentlemen is why we are getting crappy remakes and PG13th lite. Simply, you have to be fucking kidding me!

If I'm needed I'll be in the bar hitting cheap whiskey and hoping I forget this post.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:26 PM
The Hills Have Eyes
The House on Haunted Hill
The Last House on the Left
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (yes, original is a classic but I felt nothing for the protagonists)

Biggest slap in the face remake: the Haunting
Old 01-08-2014, 03:40 PM
Quote:

Dawn Of The Dead
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Last House On The Left
Let Me In
The Ring
The Thing (1982)
Willard
I agree with these.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:32 AM
The Thing
The Hills Have Eyes
The Blob
Maniac
The Toolbox Murders
Carrie
The Ring
House of Wax
Old 04-04-2014, 01:54 AM
Snyder's Dawn of the Dead
The Hills Have Eyes
Old 04-04-2014, 04:24 AM
To be honest, bar a few exceptions (A Nightmare on Elm Street and Psycho spring to mind) almost all remakes are superior to the original. Remakes of classics have the ability to emulate the shock and horror of the original, but can now back it up with amazing visuals and special effects. Keep remaking them all, that's what I say.