Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2011, 09:49 PM
Official IRON MAN 3 Thread (May 3, 2013)

http://www.deadline.com/2011/02/shan...ls-iron-man-3/

Shane Black To Direct Marvel's 'Iron Man 3'

EXCLUSIVE: The ever secretive Marvel Studios is in final negotiations with Shane Black to direct Iron Man 3 set to be released on May 3, 2013. As you know , IM1 and IM2 director Jon Favreau begged off to helm Magic Kingdom at Disney so his relationship with the franchise ran its course.

Shane is first and foremost a writer but it's not clear whether he'll be penning the IM3 script as well. "That's not figured out," our source says. Of course, everyone in and around Marvel is keeping mum. But Black has a long relationship with Robert Downey Jr since Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. Not only did Shane make his directing debut on the 2005 cult favorite he co-wrote, but it helped re-launch Downey Jrs career.

Last edited by SkyNet; 09-29-2012 at 09:57 PM..
Old 02-18-2011, 07:59 AM
Honestly, I don't know how I feel about this. I've never seen any of his movies, but apparently Downey Jr. wanted him to come on board (this doesn't help with my confidence in the project). And if this movie doesn't feature The Mandarin then it's seriously a waste of time.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:06 AM
Well. This news almost sorta makes me want to see it... but it still hasn't completely renewed my faith after Favs left because of Marvel.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:37 AM
Have you guys seen Kiss Kiss Bang Bang? I think it's one of the best movies of the past 10 years, and Shane Black is the perfect guy for this franchise.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
Have you guys seen Kiss Kiss Bang Bang? I think it's one of the best movies of the past 10 years, and Shane Black is the perfect guy for this franchise.
Agreed. He is great at mixing action & comedy and has already worked with Downey(which is perfect for the Iron Man franchise)

I think Mr Black will bring a lot to IM3 and make it a kickass movie.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:13 AM
Quote:
I have seen it.

I'm still not sure about how Marvel will work into the picture. Because Shane Black may have written a bunch of good movies and directed an awesome one.... Marvel may still try their stupid tricks.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilpesh View Post
I have seen it.

I'm still not sure about how Marvel will work into the picture. Because Shane Black may have written a bunch of good movies and directed an awesome one.... Marvel may still try their stupid tricks.
I can appreciate that perspective. I feel the same way about Fox and X-Men First Class. I really want to like the picture, and respect Matthew Vaughn as a filmmaker, but I can't get over the possibility, or likeliness, that the studio is ruining it.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:14 AM
I can only judge on what I see, the first two movies are awesome imo so I hope the third is as good as 8)
Old 02-18-2011, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayleigh View Post
I can only judge on what I see, the first two movies are awesome imo so I hope the third is as good as 8)
Totally agree! After delivering TWO outstanding films, Favs wanted to do other things. I wish him the best. As much as I enjoyed the first two films, I think that maybe a fresh take at this point is a great idea. Honestly, how many franchises can say the number three film is as good as what's come before??? Outside of LOTR and Bourne, no others spring to mind and those films were all planned out in advance. Shane Black seems like the perfect guy to spearhead a third film, especially AFTER Avengers. Can't wait to see what they have in store.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChar4321 View Post
Honestly, how many franchises can say the number three film is as good as what's come before???
That's a pretty disingenuous thing to say as you don't exclude all of the third movies that sucked because of a change in production team (and those are some of the ones people think of first).

You probably should have just pointed to Spider-man 3 which sucked but yet was made by the same people that gave us the other two.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:00 PM
i dont even think this needs to be made, and if Shane isnt also writing it, then i really dont care much. he has to write it... right? the guy is too damn good not to. He'd own the Tony Stark character
Old 02-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChar4321 View Post
Honestly, how many franchises can say the number three film is as good as what's come before??? Outside of LOTR and Bourne, no others spring to mind and those films were all planned out in advance.
Lets see now, we have Goldfinger, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly, Day of the Dead, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Return of the Jedi, Back to the Future Part III, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and Toy Story 3. Just to name a few.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Black is a pretty great fucking choice imo. I lost interest in a third film when I found out that Favs didn't want to do it. The cynic in me thought they'd bring in a workhorse director and spit out the X3 equivalent of the franchise. Not so, Black is an inspired choice.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboJoeBob View Post
Lets see now, we have Goldfinger, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly, Day of the Dead, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Return of the Jedi, Back to the Future Part III, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban and Toy Story 3. Just to name a few.
Throw in Die Hard with a Vengeance for good measure.

Black is a nice choice. Hope the execs give him and Downey breathing room.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:10 PM
Shane Black directing it restores my faith in the film because I was really worried they get some one like Brett Ratner who would just shovel out shit. I think it'll be good to have some new life breathed in to the franchise especially now that I know it's Shane Black and not a franchise killer like Ratner or McG. Don't get me wrong I think Favreau did an awesome job on the first two I just want to see other things done with the character and I think Black will do that.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboJoeBob View Post
I can't comment about Harry Potter or Toy Story because outside of the first films, I've seen no others. Last Crusade certainly is far below Lost Ark as is Die Hard with a Vengeance compared to Die Hard but honestly, those franchise delivered crap number two films IMO. Return of the Jedi was the weakest of the three, not bad just not as great. Same can be said of the Spider-Man trilogy. You're right, Back to the Future Part III is better than Part II but again, not the original.

It's all a matter of taste but I'm not exactly stretching it when mentioning the "curse of number three" that everyone likes to mention. I'm also trying to remain positive about shifting gears in a franchise I enjoy.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:08 AM
BTW- Sequel ideas on how to use the Black Widow...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUNIs...layer_embedded

Old 02-27-2011, 08:47 PM
Where's the Mandarin?

'Nuff said.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis_Driftwood View Post
Where's the Mandarin?

'Nuff said.
I see this as the only way to go for Iron Man 3. Would make for a hell of an ending.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:05 PM
Looks like Mandarin really might be the villain: http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/insi...inor-and-major

Thoughts?
Old 05-30-2012, 12:11 PM
I just hope it's not a underwhelming one like the last two.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
Looks like Mandarin really might be the villain: http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/insi...inor-and-major

Thoughts?
Thank goodness! After two Iron Man films, we're finally getting his greatest foe. My only hope is they just don't kill him off at the very end because he's a threat that could one day face the Avengers. Kingsley being Mandarin is something I'm not particularly happy about, but I'm sure he'll be great.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:54 PM

For cereal.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Didn't realize they were already shooting...Downey's already been doing Tony Stark non-stop for pretty much 5 years - holy shit.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:27 PM
And Sherlock Homes.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:55 PM
Mandarin? Like the oranges?
Old 05-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
Mandarin? Like the oranges?
I think more like the Chinese language, but I could be wrong.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:23 PM
You mean that's a language too!!!!???
Old 05-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post

For cereal.

Why?
Old 05-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post

Why?
That is NOT the Iron Man armor.

I'm guessing it's a combo of a knock-off created by a competitor company called "Detroit Steel" from the books.

It does look like "Iron Patriot" which was worn by Spider-Man bad guy Norman Osborn after he stole the designs from Stark. We all know that can't happen on film with Sony owning the Spider-Man rights.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:01 PM
Yeah, Hammer and the military had their hands on the armor for a long while, reasonable to assume they could duplicate it after a few years.

Remember, this movie will feature the Extremis armor, which tony controls with his mind. Which he will, no doubt, use to humorously call Pepper on her cell phone while talking directly to her.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:34 AM
Iron Patriot leader of The Dark Avengers,i wonder if this is this the build up to who The Avengers will face in the sequel ...with some changes of course
Old 06-04-2012, 10:10 AM
First Official Set Photo and Press Release from Iron Man 3 - http://bit.ly/L78dIU
Old 06-04-2012, 01:19 PM

Old 06-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
CGI needs a lot of work.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Wohoo...we fightimg more man in armored suit.

Not looking foward to this at all ...Marvel comic Overload.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Quote:
x2, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is a great fucking movie. It is a shame flicks like that don't get major release and run but Batman, Battleship and Transformers is rammed down our throats.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustysyringe View Post
x2, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is a great fucking movie. It is a shame flicks like that don't get major release and run but Batman, Battleship and Transformers is rammed down our throats.
One "Battleship" film and three great Batman films spaced 3-4 years apart is considered "rammed down" you throat?

You must have a shitty gag reflex.

Tapatalking from my bed. Ya mutha says hi.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuatroDiablos View Post
Wohoo...we fightimg more man in armored suit.

Not looking foward to this at all ...Marvel comic Overload.
If the Mandarin really is the villain, it should be something more than guys in suits fighting each other like the first two were.

I'm one of the few we felt Iron Man 2 was better than the first one, which I felt was kinda overrated. Even though Iron Man did kick off the second super hero movie revolution of this generation (proving second tier character can be financially successful.)
Old 06-05-2012, 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magjournal View Post
One "Battleship" film and three great Batman films spaced 3-4 years apart is considered "rammed down" you throat?

You must have a shitty gag reflex.

Tapatalking from my bed. Ya mutha says hi.
Don't get your panties in a bunch because I don't think Batman Begins and TDK are good movies, because they really aren't. And the comment is about the general procession of shit Hollywood puts out, not the movies I listed per se (although they do suck donkey scrotum). All we seem to get is men in tights (gay), rom coms (fucking gay), and cartoons. And quite frankly, I am tired of it.