Old 05-13-2012, 03:41 AM
Record breaking crowd for MLS

American soccer ( or real football) is not that popular a sport in North America but don't get me wrong , i love playing it but i admit it's not the best spectator sport. Then again Baseball is a snooze-fest without beer and Football got way too many interuptions.

I'm a big hockey fan but i have to admit that our local pro team in Montreal (IMPACT) got a big push lately.

Anyway , this year they got a promotion to MLS ( Major League Soccer ) which is the new underdog in National Sport.

Usually they play in a 3k crowd stadium but since they were receiving the LA Galaxy yesterday , they moved the game to the Olympic Stadium ( where the Montreal Expo used to play ).

A big upgrade imo since the sport isn't all that popular. Then again , the Montreal Canadians had the worst season in 10 years so i guess people wanted to see a winning game.

Still doubt Beckham is a seller ?

Well , it was a 1-1 game and i hate tie game ( whatever the sport ) but the crowd was happy and i think putting out a good show is better than a win or lose. 60k crowd seems to agree.

We lost baseball but soccer is coming up big time !
Old 05-13-2012, 11:44 AM
I don't know if soccer will ever sustain any momentum in America. There are always moments where we collectively care about the sport genuinely. Usually, it's at a national competition level: US upsetting Spain, Wambach's header... something like that. We get into it, everyone thinks soccer is going to take off, and then, nothing happens.

I love watching soccer because of its pace. No timeouts, running clock. You know exaclty what you're getting. Nothing is worse than a slow baseball game that takes 4 and a half hours. I like that soccer is 90 minutes with a bit of stoppage time, plus an intermission. That's it (unless there's overtime, but they even cut that short with shootouts).

But again, as has been mentioned many times, Americans love dominant athletes. And until MLS can pay much better, our best athletes are not going to take up soccer, and our product will suffer.

Can you imagine if freak athletes like Allen Iverson or Floyd Mayweather grew up playing soccer? But our best athletes will never do it.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:26 AM
I think Soccer will get bigger in the USA, but it will take decades to grow to a size that matters. Lots of foreign born people living here love soccer. Their kids play soccer. I can see Lacrosse getting bigger than soccer.

I will never understand how anyone can say Football is boring and like to watch soccer.

I hate soccer. I wish it to continue to fail here. To me, there is nothing fun or exciting about it at all. I would rather watch cats fuck.

I also do not understand why hockey is not bigger in the USA.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
I also do not understand why hockey is not bigger in the USA.
same ... but i'm a fan so i could sell you on hard hits , fast paced action and skillful plays.

The truth is hockey is a costly sport to get into. You need an ice rink , skates & sticks ( those babies cost between 30-100$ each and they break easy ).

I'm not talking about pro level where you need full body protection. I'm keeping it at the street level game with a couple of friends.

Soccer is easy to get into ... basically you just need a ball and that cost like 40$ if you invest in medium quality. Probably the same reason basketball is big in the US.

The reason Hockey isn't that popular is because not a lot of people play it in the States. How many natural ice rink can you get in Miami or Dallas ?

In the winter in Canada , you can just spray the hose in your backyard for 20 minutes and have a potent ice rink the day after. To be honest , winter sucks and without hockey it would be a drag. Hockey makes us love winter and the snow.

You think canadian are crazy about hockey ... go to Europe. I was in Germany couple years back and i went to see a soccer game in a pub. The place was litterally split in 2. One side was the Real Madrid crowd and the other side was the Barcelona crowd. Don't be in the wrong side when your team score else you'll get punched !
Old 05-14-2012, 01:35 PM
The MLS just doesn't have the same level of prestige as Premier League. I also blame the American mainstream sports media for ignoring soccer altogether. Why are RG3 and Andrew Luck, two guys who aren't even proven professionals yet, receiving constant coverage while Clint Dempsey's hat tricks aren't even newsworthy?
Old 05-31-2012, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando @$$ Fat View Post
The MLS just doesn't have the same level of prestige as Premier League. I also blame the American mainstream sports media for ignoring soccer altogether. Why are RG3 and Andrew Luck, two guys who aren't even proven professionals yet, receiving constant coverage while Clint Dempsey's hat tricks aren't even newsworthy?
Well , the Premier League is like the NHL/MLB of soccer in Europe. MLS is just getting started so give it 15-20 years to establish itself ( could be quicker if sports media actually gave a damn )

I'm with you on this one , we lost the Expos in 2004 yet our local news report will still play highlights of a Orioles/A's game. No one gives a fuck about baseball around here anymore.

I still believe Montreal was a great baseball city but the team's management was shady at best and we got screwed out of a winning team so many times that it massively turned people away. At least, the Saputo family is in love with soccer and they invested good money to make the Impact a worthy team ( 2012 is the 1st year in MLS but the team has been around for more than 10 years ). ATM Montreal is ranked 11 out of 19 teams but they give a good show and that's what matters ( Toronto is 19th hahahaha 0-9-0 record)
Old 06-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by impossible00 View Post
I don't care what anyone says
that's a good way to make friends on a forum

Quote:
I am not racist
99% of people who say that as a statement are in fact racist

Quote:
but the Williams sisters, especially Serena are on something. Roids? HGH? Something.
mmm Tennis related news in a US soccer/european Football topic ... stay classy !

http://www.scarstretchmarkremoval.com/

Quote:
Than k you for open this type of post here.
you are welcomed !!