Old 05-29-2012, 11:01 AM
Snow White and the Huntsman

SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN

Directed by Rupert Sanders (Feature debut)

Written by Evan Daugherty, John Lee Hancock (The Blind Side, The Alamo), and Hossein Amini (Drive)

Starring Charlize Theron, Chris Hemsworth, Kristen Stewart, Sam Claflin, Ian McShane, Ray Winstone, Bob Hoskins, Nick Frost, Eddie Marsan, Toby Jones

Running Time of 127 Minutes

Rated PG-13 for intense sequences of violence and action, and brief sensuality

In a twist to the fairy tale, the Huntsman ordered to take Snow White into the woods to be killed winds up becoming her protector and mentor in a quest to vanquish the Evil Queen.

Frankly, I think this looks absolutely awesome and I love the cast. Very much looking forward to seeing this.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:37 PM
I'm with you Spike. I got a good feeling about this flick, and hopefully WOM from the critics share my optimism.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:33 PM
I was surprised when I saw the commercial, and am actually hoping to catch this one in the theaters. Hopefully it meets expectations...
Old 05-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Been looking forward to this ever since it was first announced. Always thought it sounded like a cool take on this classic fairy tale and the trailer only seems to confirm that this will be awesome!
Old 05-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Charlize Theron as the evil queen gets me all sorts of excited. Seriously she gets better looking every movie.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:31 PM
I think it could be a surprise hit and I think it looks really good
Old 05-30-2012, 04:41 AM
I think it looks great and i think Charlize will have back to back hit films
Old 05-30-2012, 09:50 AM
The project has potential, but I don't think the execution is going to end up being all that great. I'll wait for more reviews.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Wow. cannot believe the reviews are that mixed.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:40 PM
I want this to fail on an epic scale, because I think Kristen Stewart is talentless and ugly. Yes, I am jealous. I admit it. She is a plain jane, girl next door with no talent. Damn that Twilight series!

I also do not want to see every Disney Princess movie (yes, I know they did not create them) remade in this style.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Just watched it, it has some enjoyable scenes, largely due to some of the wildest overacting I've seen in some time (ladies and gentlemen, Academy Award winner, Miss Charlize Theron!), but attempting to add pathos and gravitas to a story that is arguably as batshit crazy as Breaking Dawn doesn't work- seeing a ton of major UK acting talent turn up as dwarfs is just strange- and it runs out of steam before the end.

I saw it for free and I knew what I was getting into, but I couldn't recommend paying to see this, even though it is entertaining in places.

4/10

Get the Disney instead.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:20 PM
I'll probably be passing on this (save my money for Prometheus)

Also, has there been any promos/trailers where Kristen Stewart speaks a lick of dialogue? Cause I've yet to hear her speak in any of the promos I've seen lol.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
I'll probably be passing on this (save my money for Prometheus)

Also, has there been any promos/trailers where Kristen Stewart speaks a lick of dialogue? Cause I've yet to hear her speak in any of the promos I've seen lol.
I actually thought she wasn't bad, her english accent is fine and she's helped by being low key next to a load of people who are hamming it up.

I should also say it feels in places like it's borrowing a lot from A New Hope. Hemsworth is basically playing a low rent Han Solo.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:21 PM
I think it looks pretty damn fun, with money being tight due to moving out, may not get around to seeing it in theaters but I surely plan on checking it out.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:23 PM
Sad to see this is getting more negative than positive reviews...I'll be skipping it and giving it a rent once it hits Red Box.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:15 AM
Yeah, the overriding mixed WOM factor has made me decide to wait for DVD/cable.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:34 AM
I enjoyed it thoroughly. It has great imagery and I dug the tone of the film a lot. It think it should be a real crowd pleaser for those who enjoy their fantasy or fairy tales with a mature and dark tone. There were some spotty moments of acting but not enough to hamper the experience for me.

8/10.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:25 AM
Snow White and the Huntsman is a film that exists solely for its design. Although Evan Daughtery (co-screenwriter and “screen story”) may have intended loftier goals for the film, as is evidenced by hints at narrative ambition, the second Rupert Sanders was hired to direct the film that all went out the window. There is no doubt that Sanders can craft some attractive cinematic visuals, regardless of their originality. Various elements of the film, from the atmospheric dark forest to the magical land of the fairies, are quite beautiful. But Sanders has no film experience; his previous work was solely in commercials. He has no evident skill for storytelling or how to direct his cast, and thus what little ambition existed after John Lee Hancock (The Blind Side) and Hossein Amini (Drive) got finished re-writing Daughtery’s script is lost. Left in its place is a listless and rote adaptation of a story we have heard many times before, often with far more energy and enthusiasm.

In many ways, this film feels like a cinematic smoothie. Take elements from other popular sources – The Lord of the Rings, Princess Mononoke, The Neverending Story, the work of Guillermo Del Toro – put them in a blender, and mix away. Sanders does a convincing job at crafting and selling these elements from a visual standpoint, but at the same time it all feels like a derivative hodgepodge. This creates a scenario in which the spirit of the Snow White tale is lost. I don’t need happy dancing dwarves, but at the same time this does not feel like it holds any veracity in the realm of Snow. Oftentimes putting a new twist on an old story can be magical and inspiring. This is not one of those times. Although the film follows the classic Grimm story fairly well and the inherent darkness, it somehow manages to lose the magic in the process.

The film starts with a crutch – unnecessary narration from the titular Huntsman – and fills us with a barrage of exposition that will be familiar to anyone who knows the story of Snow White. As we meet the evil queen Ravenna, it is clear that Charlize Theron has no shame and no inhibitions. Unfortunately, this makes for one of the most obnoxiously campy and embarrassing performances I have seen in some time. Charlize is one of my favorite actresses (she was absolutely brilliant and evil in last year’s fantastic Young Adult), however Sanders has no idea how to control his gorgeous star and thus Charlize flies off the handle. It is a loud, screeching performance that consists of writing and little nuance. She sure does look pretty, though, and she holds more presence than Kristen Stewart, who is fine though miscast. The only actor that manages to maintain their integrity in the film is Chris Hemsworth, who is somehow appearing in a much better and more energetic film than the rest of his cohorts. Hemsworth is a true film star, and his Huntsman is a roguish charmer with a tragic undercurrent. Hemsworth is great.

The film bounces and sags around the middle with little drive and a slew of unnecessary characters. In particular, the queen’s brother Finn (Sam Spruell) and Snow’s old childhood friend William (Sam Claflin, lacking in prescene much like his work in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides) are useless baggage that only serve to pad the runtime. The dwarves, expected in any Snow White tale, are portrayed by a group of phenomenal British actors, but they are given no personality and are impugned by frankly creepy special effects work. I couldn’t tell you any of their names or their purpose. This speaks to a major problem that the film has: it seems as if nobody cared. The film is somehow simultaneously too fast paced and far too long, as no narrative thread serves to connect the pieces and yet we keep moving from place to place on a quest without meaning. The climax is as abrupt as any I have seen, and it leads to a battle sequence that has minimal stakes and no weight. If the film, then, exists solely for its design, one can’t help but wish that the design had more intention and more originality. There are special effects and high concept magical ideas a plenty, but none of it means a damn thing.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
As we meet the evil queen Ravenna, it is clear that Charlize Theron has no shame and no inhibitions. Unfortunately, this makes for one of the most obnoxiously campy and embarrassing performances I have seen in some time. Charlize is one of my favorite actresses (she was absolutely brilliant and evil in last year’s fantastic Young Adult), however Sanders has no idea how to control his gorgeous star and thus Charlize flies off the handle. It is a loud, screeching performance that consists of writing and little nuance. She sure does look pretty, though, and she holds more presence than Kristen Stewart, who is fine though miscast. The only actor that manages to maintain their integrity in the film is Chris Hemsworth, who is somehow appearing in a much better and more energetic film than the rest of his cohorts. Hemsworth is a true film star, and his Huntsman is a roguish charmer with a tragic undercurrent. Hemsworth is great.
I agree with pretty much everything you said, except when it comes to Theron/Hemsworth. I felt the opposite as you, that Theron was great and Hemsworth was the one hamming it up... basically playing a parody of his role in Thor.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdparker View Post
I agree with pretty much everything you said, except when it comes to Theron/Hemsworth. I felt the opposite as you, that Theron was great and Hemsworth was the one hamming it up... basically playing a parody of his role in Thor.
Fascinating how people can agree on everything except for one singular point. Oh well!
Old 06-04-2012, 02:18 AM

My favorite film of the year so far! Although it is a bit over long and could have tightened up a little, I pretty much loved every minute of this movie. I also don't get the complaints that Kristen Stewart is on Bella mode. She's much better here than in the Twilight movies. In fact, she's fucking fantastic in this movie. Charlize Theron could have dialed it down a little as there were moments where she was so over the top that it bordered on camp. But she's great here too. And so Chris Hemsworth. In fact, he's better here than he was in Thor and The Avengers. Loved the arc his character goes through.

I was actually surprised by how violent this movie was. It's definitely NOT for kids. It's PG-13 but there are times when the movie almost gets into R rated territory. This may be based on a fairy tale, but it ain't no kids flick.

This movie is visually STUNNING. The visual effects and sound effects are astonishing. The art direction/set design and cinematography are truly breathtaking, even majestic. The acting is uniformly excellent all around. Not just the main trio, but also the guy who plays William, Snow White's childhood friend. And all of the actors playing the dwarfs are fantastic.

I can't say enough about this movie. This hasn't exactly been a great year for movies, lots of enjoyable movies but very little that's truly great or memorable. Snow White and the Huntsman is a breath of fresh air. It takes a classic, timeless fairy tale and tells it in a way that's utterly compelling and feels fresh and new. It's my favorite movie of the year so far.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:04 AM
theron should of been over the top she is the damn evil queen for god sakes

this role did not need and i sure as hell did not want some subtle nuanced performance she wants this young girls hearts and she is just pure evil

hamming it up is part of her charm

theron said her inspiration was jack in the shining
Old 06-04-2012, 08:33 AM
I have always enjoyed the various revisions of Grimms' Fairy Tales
Some have been comedic, or playful and erotic like the Zenescope Entertainment
series of comic books
In this latest version from writers Evan Daugherty,John Lee Hancock and
Hossein Amini and directed by Rupert Sanders Snow White and the Huntsman
is definitley the darker almost humorless version of the ages old tale.

I love that the film provides a good backstory for the evil ,youth and immortality
obsessed Queen Ravenna (Charlize Theron)The film holds on to much of what has made
the tale of Snow White enjoyable,from the inclusion of the prince (Sam Claflin) the seven....
well make that eight dwarves portrayed by Bob Hoskins, Ian McShane, Ray Winstone, Toby Jones,
Eddie Marsan ,Johnny Harris,Nick Frost, and Brian Gleeson with the help of some flawless SFX
Mainly known as Thor from Chris Hemsworth provides the same likeable big,,brave, bravado persona as
Eric the Huntsma. Even Kristen Stewart as Snow White is able to shelve her dour,discontent,scowling for
most of the film.
But Theron steals every scene she's in..A stunning ice cold performance whether stealing youth from maidens or scolding her
creepy brother Finn (Sam Spruell) i couldnt take my eyes off her.She looked quite comfortable sitting on the throne.
The film is beautifully shot,from the Dark forest to the Sanctuary, home of the fairies,a scene so vividly stunning
I almost wished it had been shot in 3D

Some characters have great introductions,but slowly fade away into the background.The story does lag in some areas
and i had hoped for a more epic battle at the end of the film.
Snow White is a very good and nowhere near the campily bad 2011 Red Riding Hood flick
If more films of legendary Fairy Tales are going to be done in this fashion bring em on !!

Scale of 1-10 an 8
Old 06-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by project 86 View Post
theron should of been over the top she is the damn evil queen for god sakes

this role did not need and i sure as hell did not want some subtle nuanced performance she wants this young girls hearts and she is just pure evil

hamming it up is part of her charm

theron said her inspiration was jack in the shining
There is a middle ground that I feel would have been far more believable. I love Charlize, but in this film she's positively grotesque, and not in a good way to my mind. I literally feel like she just yells the entire film. That's not acting in my mind.

Last edited by SpikeDurden; 06-04-2012 at 11:24 AM..
Old 06-05-2012, 01:53 PM
I was disappointed that they gave the queen a backstory. I wouldve prefered that she was just an evil man hater just because. I didn't get why they felt the need to show that mirror advisor was just an illusion. The movie is full of "magic". No real need to separate the two. It's also unfortunate that they couldn't use real little people to play the dwarfs. I'm sure plenty of them have 'tyrion' talent waiting for they're break through role.

Overall, Theron steals the show with her screams and outfits. Stewart didn't really bring anything unique to the role, but she wasn't too bad either. Same for hemsworth. Love hate relationship with all the cgi.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:12 PM
meh 5/10
Old 06-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Saw this last night...very unimpressive film. Really did nothing for me at all. Stewart is garbage, I thought Theron over acted almost every scene, the script was poor and boring, and at times difficult to comprehend.

The only positive for me was Hemsworth who I think fit the role well, and I think will be a leading man in Hollywood so long as he diversifies the jobs he takes.

Full Review - http://bit.ly/LtVUVX

Last edited by P1NSTR1PEZ; 06-06-2012 at 06:44 PM..
Old 06-07-2012, 12:21 AM
People complained about Tilda Swinton playing the White Witch as "too low key" in Narnia. Now people are complaining that Theron is "too over the top" in Snow White? I don't get it. Both were fine.

Kristen Stewart was also perfectly fine. Yeah, we get it: you hate Twilight and everything it touches. (People seem to forget that they all like Robert Pattenson when he was in the first four Harry Potter movies.) Her acting ability was not an issue with me - I just don't think she's that pretty.

As a movie, I enjoyed it, though it was fairly derivative of Narnia and just about every other Kingdom of Heaven style movie from the last ten years. But, hey, the dwarfs were cool.

My only real complaint was that I thought her enchanting power/influence over the animals would have played a bigger part in the end.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
(People seem to forget that they all like Robert Pattenson when he was in the first four Harry Potter movies.)
He's actually only in the fourth.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:51 AM
I thought the movie was a pretty interesting take on the Snow White story. It's dark, a little violent, and not exactly the fairy tale Disney made it out to be oh so long ago. You've got the heroine, Snow White - decently played by Kristen Stewart, the evil queen - played by Charlize Theron, who in my opinion is the best part about the movie, and the hero - played by Thor. The story still has the seven dwarves who are not only filled with several recognizable faces - Bob Hoskins, Ray Winstone, Nick Frost, and others - but also had a little heart and humor to the movie. Tack on a childhood friend for Snow White and a the queen's weird brother and you have this movie. The special effects add a strong fantasy element to the movie and it makes the movie more watchable and enjoyable. I didn't think the movie was very exceptionable in any way, but it was fun and had some really cool moments.

7/10
Old 06-15-2012, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
He's actually only in the fourth.
Weird. I must have confused characters. It has been ten years or so since I've seen some of these, after all.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
Weird. I must have confused characters. It has been ten years or so since I've seen some of these, after all.
I thought he was in all of them as well until I watched the fourth one on TV, then started watching the blu-rays I got for Christmas and realized he wasn't in the first few. Probably a common mistake.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:20 PM

Last edited by SS-Block; 03-31-2014 at 06:31 PM..
Old 06-17-2012, 01:01 AM

8/10

Honestly, I don’t know what others expected but I had a low opinion of this concept before viewing the film. Maybe lower expectations matter because I found this effort to be an entertaining blend of the Snow White fable and the Lord of the Rings trilogy. To be clear, it’s not an epic like LOTR but it really gives off the same flavor (fighting dwarfs, hypnotic scenery, great effects as well as textured fantasy heroes). Some will roll their eyes at comparing the two (an Oscar winning film series versus a Kristen Stewart movie?) but is the overall concept sillier than a long needless trek to throw a magic ring in to a volcano? I also thought that two-thirds of the lead performances were superb. I’ve never even seen a Twilight movie so I judge Stewart based on her work here only. She delivers a soulful performance and there was real sadness behind her eyes. Hemsworth was great. It’s Charlize Theron that really hurts this film. She really is Razzie Award bad as the over-the-top cheesy evil queen. EVERY scene she chews up made me cringe. Every damn one. The plot isn’t grand or even smart and there are character shortcuts but I enjoyed this film quite a bit more than I was expecting.

And did anyone else notice a truly moving part of the film was...

Spoiler:
When The Huntsman kissed her and broke the spell it was HIS tear that landed on her cheek. She then added to it with her own tears. THAT was splendid and artistic. I wonder if that happened by accident and the director went with it with CG tears in post using that take??? Hemsworth had real tears going.

Last edited by JoeChar4321; 06-17-2012 at 01:20 AM..
Old 06-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChar4321 View Post
8/10And did anyone else notice a truly moving part of the film was...

Spoiler:
When The Huntsman kissed her and broke the spell it was HIS tear that landed on her cheek. She then added to it with her own tears. THAT was splendid and artistic. I wonder if that happened by accident and the director went with it with CG tears in post using that take??? Hemsworth had real tears going.

*Vomits* I don't know about the rest of the movie because I haven't seen it, but that scene seems like it was on a one way train to Sappytown...
Old 10-13-2012, 02:30 AM
So I am actually in the middle of watching this, and this is how terrible this movie is:

I got up to come to the forums, cuz the movie is THAT boring, search for this very thread and talk shit about this movie.. all while it is still playing!

Kristen Stewart sucks... she was good in Panic Room.. that is about it.. I dont know if her own inflated ego got to her and affected her acting, but my god, she has become terrible. I cant stand her real personality, and maybe that informs my opinions of her acting, but shit, I cant stand Eminem's real personality and I still think the dude is talented as shit!

Charlize Theron is good.. but i mean, she is incapable of not being good, so that is no new news!

Hemsworth does what he does, and he does it well, cant complain about him.

But man, what a boring and terrible movie. And this is the one I thought was going to be good... when the dueling Snow White movies came out, Mirror Mirror looked like shit and ended up being quite enjoyable, this movie looked good and ended up being pure shit!
Old 10-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Snow White and the Huntsman - 8/10
Mirror Mirror - 4/10