Old 06-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Stephen King's IT (Finally) coming soon...

So some big news today that It by Stephen King will get a two part treatment. I for one, am looking forward to this simply because I am a HUGE King fan. IT had a huge impact on me, probably because I read at the same age as those kids in the book. I cannot wait for this to be discussed.

Who do you guys think should play Pennywise? I know many are already saying Brad Durif or Jackie Earl Hayley, but ya know? Those are the big obvious choices. I'd love to see someone get it who is very unexpected. My personal choices would be for either Michael Parks or Christian Stolte.

Parks- who recently creeped me the fuck out in Kevin Smith's Red State I feel would be equally creepy as Pennywise. I know he's old too but apart of me thinks that Pennywise will be ten times creepier if played by an older man.

Stolte- Many of you are probably saying "Who?" He played Darby in "Law Abiding Citizen" yes the sadistic rapist guy who broke into Butler's home and killed him and his family. That guy had a very small role in the film and I think he stole the show in that very small time frame. With something like this, he could really breakout as great actor.

It should not be about picking the obvious choice, but picking the right choice.

I hope these films are a hard R. I hope they do not shy away from the terror both from Pennywise and the bullies. "IT" is a VERY fucked up book, and this would be a really ambitious horror film if they stuck true to the novel and watered nothing down.

However...
Spoiler:
I just do not know, in this day in age, if they would include an underage gangbang scene.

Oh, and two words...VIRAL MARKETING. It is an epic book and to add to the history of the novel, this would work well and be all sorts of freaky.

What do you guys think?
Old 06-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Firstly, I'm impressed with the lineup of producers that are behind this movie. Between all 4 of 'em, they've done quite a few interesting horrors/thrillers (The Grudge, The Ring 1 and 2, The Eye, Dark Water, Dark Shadows, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter). So as far as cinematography and production goes, I'm sure they'll do well with it...

Secondly, I'm very pessimistic on this actually working...mainly because there's bullying in it (and we all know how well that's going to be received in today's PC world....not at all), so that's probably going to foster a lot of opposition and protest. I see a possibility of two definite things: either that they're going to write the bullying out completely and make it all about Pennywise, or they're going to make it a period piece at a time when bullying was not so fought against.

Now that I think about it, I'm not so confident anymore...

shawn-o, I think a younger guy might be the way to go. I remember Wes Craven saying that they originally wanted an older guy for Freddy Kreuger, but Robert Englund worked out better because he had more energy and was able to withstand the makeup for longer and he was perfect for the sequels and blah blah blah...the point is that it worked out in the end with a younger guy. So I'm inclined to line up with that thought

Last edited by Exophrine; 06-08-2012 at 11:47 AM..
Old 06-08-2012, 03:30 PM
I'd welcome a reboot/remake of this. The original is a bit dated and there is a lot of potential to make a new kickass film.

No clue who I would cast as Pennywise (hell just reuse Tim Curry haha) but it'd be cool if they got a big name actor (Tom Hardy perhaps)

Who is directing this?
Old 06-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exophrine View Post
Firstly, I'm impressed with the lineup of producers that are behind this movie. Between all 4 of 'em, they've done quite a few interesting horrors/thrillers (The Grudge, The Ring 1 and 2, The Eye, Dark Water, Dark Shadows, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter). So as far as cinematography and production goes, I'm sure they'll do well with it...

Secondly, I'm very pessimistic on this actually working...mainly because there's bullying in it (and we all know how well that's going to be received in today's PC world....not at all), so that's probably going to foster a lot of opposition and protest. I see a possibility of two definite things: either that they're going to write the bullying out completely and make it all about Pennywise, or they're going to make it a period piece at a time when bullying was not so fought against.

Now that I think about it, I'm not so confident anymore...

shawn-o, I think a younger guy might be the way to go. I remember Wes Craven saying that they originally wanted an older guy for Freddy Kreuger, but Robert Englund worked out better because he had more energy and was able to withstand the makeup for longer and he was perfect for the sequels and blah blah blah...the point is that it worked out in the end with a younger guy. So I'm inclined to line up with that thought
I know what you're saying about a young actor, I just thought it would be tons creepier with an older guy in the clown make-up. However, I do understand that a younger actor maybe able to have more energy and take the makeup better.

I understand the world's stance on bullying these days, but I think it would do a great disservice to the film if they did not include it in some retrospect, as it is a very important element to the story.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:56 PM
I think splitting it into two is a good idea. Turning a 1000 page book, which Stephen King doesn't even remember writing because he was doing so much coke, into a 120 minute movie is probably not the best idea.

As for Pennywise, I think going for a different interpretation than Curry would be a good thing. I don't think there is really a concrete interpretation based on the book. There are many possibilities. I like the idea of someone like Hardy doing it. Someone that can be really charming, but also incredibly fucking crazy. Other possibilities of different interpretations could be Christian Bale, Michael Shannon, John Carroll Lynch (so damn creepy in Zodiac), or Michael Stuhlbarg. I think they could all bring something interesting to the table.

If you wanted to do something like what Tim Curry did, someone like Paul Giamatti would be good.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:25 PM
I think Andy Serkis would be a great fit. Just my two cents.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Boy View Post
I think Andy Serkis would be a great fit. Just my two cents.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNGXsgLRkXU
Old 06-08-2012, 05:30 PM
I hadn't realized, until about six years ago, that Tim Curry was Pennywise. I think the film is outdated, sure, but it still scares the shit out of me a little. I'd love if they made it rated-R, redid the ending--no giant spider--and had Curry do a small cameo role as a librarian or something. My only fear is this will end up like A Nightmare on Elm Street where they get a good actor, style wise it looks great, but it has terrible characters and story.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Who is directing this?
Cary Fukunaga (Sin Nombre, Jane Eyre, upcoming HBO series True Detectives)

An odd, but interesting choice.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
I hadn't realized, until about six years ago, that Tim Curry was Pennywise. I think the film is outdated, sure, but it still scares the shit out of me a little. I'd love if they made it rated-R, redid the ending--no giant spider--and had Curry do a small cameo role as a librarian or something. My only fear is this will end up like A Nightmare on Elm Street where they get a good actor, style wise it looks great, but it has terrible characters and story.
The ending in the book is similar to that but trust me it's handled alot better in the book, it's a crazy, crazy book. I hope the movie is similar
Old 06-10-2012, 12:38 AM
I'd like to see Fassbender get the part. He murders everything and has what has to be THE most terrifying smile I have ever seen.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger^Cart View Post
I'd like to see Fassbender get the part. He murders everything and has what has to be THE most terrifying smile I have ever seen.
i agree. i was freaked out by him in prometheus!
Old 06-10-2012, 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger^Cart View Post
Jesus! Like that smile doesn't disturb me enough without it being attributed to something malevolent. Now you wanna add sharp teeth to it?! I'll never sleep in the dark again.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:08 AM
Fassbender is just getting elected for every part these days, isn't he?
But I agree, he would make a very interesting and terrifying Pennywise.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:22 AM
This has got me really, really intrigued. It is my favorite book of all time and I would love to see it done justice on the big screen. A trilogy would be my ultimate dream, but that's what it is. A fanboy dream. I won't balk at a two-parter though. One thing is for sure though. They have to cast the fuck of this movie.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Quote:
I'd welcome a reboot/remake of this. The original is a bit dated and there is a lot of potential to make a new kickass film.

No clue who I would cast as Pennywise (hell just reuse Tim Curry haha) but it'd be cool if they got a big name actor (Tom Hardy perhaps)

Who is directing this?
Good Lord Tom Hardy would make a creepy Pennywise..If anyone has doubts as to Nolan's choice for Hardy as Bane or that Hardy would make a great Pennywise make sure you see Bronson.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:21 AM

Paul Giamatti for Pennywise. And it was Cujo, not It, that Stephen King didn't remember writing because he was so coked out. Anyway, very excited for this.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beard_of_Meat View Post
Good Lord Tom Hardy would make a creepy Pennywise..If anyone has doubts as to Nolan's choice for Hardy as Bane or that Hardy would make a great Pennywise make sure you see Bronson.
Agreed. Just look at him right here.

I'd be cool with Fassbender too though.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Andy Serkis > Tom Hardy

....we need someone who's not particularly good looking for Pennywise.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
Fassbender is just getting elected for every part these days, isn't he?
But I agree, he would make a very interesting and terrifying Pennywise.
You're thinking of Tom Hardy.

I'll admit his clown bits from Bronson were the first things to mind though.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:49 PM
This is one hell of an edit.

Last edited by Gordon; 07-14-2012 at 09:29 PM..
Old 06-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FailSafe View Post
And it was Cujo, not It, that Stephen King didn't remember writing because he was so coked out.
I think you're right, but for pretty much every book he wrote in the late 70s and throughout the 80s he was completely coked out of his mind to the point that he had to shove cotton balls up his nose so he didn't get blood on his typewriter. He wrote Misery right after IT, and Misery was essentially a metaphor for his coke addiction (with Annie representing coke).
Old 06-10-2012, 11:24 PM
If there's no under-age gangbang scene, I'm out! LoL!

Though honestly, I thought that was the worst part about the book. Just so ridiculously over-the-top and un-necessary IMO.

I really liked Tim Curry as Pennywise, he was sick as hell! I'm not sure I'd wanna see a reboot/remake/whatever of this or not. Guess it depends on more of the details.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
I think you're right, but for pretty much every book he wrote in the late 70s and throughout the 80s he was completely coked out of his mind to the point that he had to shove cotton balls up his nose so he didn't get blood on his typewriter. He wrote Misery right after IT, and Misery was essentially a metaphor for his coke addiction (with Annie representing coke).
Interesting, and having just read the final two books of the Dark Tower series, I kind of wish he'd go back to the coke.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:54 AM
I like Fassbender, Serkis and Hardy as possible candidates, very nice ideas.

What about Michael Shannon?
Old 06-12-2012, 01:00 PM
I really don't see Serkis being a great choice because he's only 5' 8" and all the kids he would be terrorizing would be the same height! Fassbender was the only great thing about Prometheus and I would love to see him tackle Pennywise but both him and Hardy are wanted men and will likely have full plates of other projects.

Any Crispin Glover takers?
Old 06-12-2012, 01:09 PM
All of these options are far too predictable, you guys need to think outside the box, like Nolan did with Heath Ledger. Personally, my vote is for Casey Affleck or Matthew McConaughey.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
All of these options are far too predictable, you guys need to think outside the box, like Nolan did with Heath Ledger. Personally, my vote is for Casey Affleck or Matthew McConaughey.
Casey would be an awesome choice.

And while I like McConaughey, he'd probably be too distracting to the audience.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Casey would be an awesome choice.

And while I like McConaughey, he'd probably be too distracting to the audience.
Agreed. Affleck is a great idea. I think McConaughey is a great actor, but I can't see it (although I probably said the same about Ledger). He'd have to change his accent, which could be an issue.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:17 PM
It would be typecasting (as he often plays creepy characters in make-up) but british comedian Reece Shearsmith would make an excellent Pennywise!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2F4ZWTjwTU
Old 06-12-2012, 03:18 PM
I'm not sure if McConaughey can pull off the right accent, but he's absolutely terrifying in the trailer for Killer Joe.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:41 PM
I think Jackie Earle Haley would play the role perfect but Andy Serkins is a damn good option. There is NO WAY they could put the orgy type scene in the film. No way.lol. And i just hope they really stick to letting the first film be about IT after the kids and then the 2nd be about them as adults. A hard R rating would be awesome also. Another important question would be who will produce the film.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:18 PM
Quote:
It would be pretty sweet if someone way out of left field was chosen for the part.

For More Outside-The-Box guys I'd look for:

Steve Carrell
Tobey McGuire
Hugh Jackman
Adrien Brody

I always thought Bradley Cooper was an interesting choice for Lucifer before Paradise Lost fell through, wonder what Cooper would do with Pennywise...

I chose these four actors because I feel given the right material and direction, they could be rather creepy if they desired. Particularly Brody, who could have rather disturbing crazy eyes...imagine the part from the book where Mike Hanlon's pictures come to life...whewww..shivers
Old 07-14-2012, 04:41 PM
Rhys Ifans as Penny Wise. I think it could work.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Giovanni Ribisi.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Giovanni Ribisi.
He was creepy as hell in Ted, so he might work. However, the idea of Ifans is intriguing.

Last edited by Roy Batty; 07-14-2012 at 05:18 PM..
Old 07-14-2012, 11:48 PM
I need to change my pants, did not know that this was in the works. Sweeeet!!!
Old 07-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Glad to see that this is actually going forward. I have mixed feelings about the original: I love the first half, but the second half just didn't quite work (something the director and cast acknowledged in the commentary). Strangely enough, it was IT that helped me overcome my fear of clowns. I had been terrified of them ever since those "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" episodes came out in the early 90s. However, I forced myself to watch IT, and my fear was overcome.

Some of the casting suggestions made here have been really good. Fassbender and Hardy would be my first choices (Hardy's clown bit in Bronson still makes my skin crawl), but they might be too obvious.

Casey Affleck and Giovanni Ribisi would be interesting, but they're a little too undersized in my opinion. Pennywise, in my mind, needs to be physically imposing enough to strike fear into adults as well as children. Andy Serkis would work, but would he be interested in another role where his face is never really seen? Not sure I can see Maguire as Pennywise. He can do intense, but malevolent...I'm not so sure. Adrian Brody would work, and part of me thinks Steve Carrell could pull it off too (though I'm not sure how). Personally, I think Bourne's suggestion of John Carroll Lynch would be the best overall. He can be supremely creepy, and I always envisioned Pennywise as being portrayed by an older actor (sort of to tie in with the undercurrent of pedophilia).

Last edited by corran horn; 07-19-2012 at 03:44 PM..
Old 07-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Don't laugh but if he could pull if off, Will Arnett would not be an awful choice. He's got that creepy face and super creepy voice, I'm surprised he hasn't played a creepy villain in any other movie yet. I'm more concerned about getting a writer and director that can really bring the story to life because that's what really needs to be taken care of first.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:37 PM

I stand behind my belief that Rhys Ifans would be amazing as Penny Wise.

someone should do some photoshop work and help me out. I think he would look cool with the Penny Wise makeup on. He would fit perfect. he can be creepy as hell when asked.