Old 06-12-2012, 03:15 PM
I would say Season 1 was a 7.5/10 and Season 2 was a 5/10.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:00 PM

Season 1 - 9/10
Season 2 - 9.5/10

Not one to care about changes to the source material as long as the show continues to work as a show.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:30 PM

Well I have to agree with what most people said. Personally I am dismayed by some of the plot changes but I understand the reasons. And to hear that they are splitting the next book over two seasons is music to my ears. Plus that gives Martin a few more years to finish the series.

I do think the second season did not quite have the impact the first did, maybe that was simply because we were all so wowed by the first. Plus the scope of the second book is just so massive.

But I have to nitpick about a few things. Mainly because they are so simple and its hard to see how they could overlook them.

Not sure these are really spoilers but better safe than sorry.

Spoiler:
What happened to the Hounds white cloak, if I remember right he wore it basically to piss off the other Kings Gaurd.

Why is Lightbringer dark. It is one of the main reasons people follow Stannis and the new God, but other than when he pulls it from the flames its simply a sword. Spend 10 bucks on a CGI intern to make it glow.

Why did they make Arya a pussy, she has a great mouse to wolf story arc and she herself kills the last guard before they escape, and where is the coin, that is a MAJOR plot point.

Why have we not seen Varys in disguise, that was one of the best parts about him in the books.

Can't wait for the next season and hopefully they can flesh it out a bit with more time and more money. This story deserves what it is getting.

Out................................
Old 06-13-2012, 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Common Sense Man View Post
Well I have to agree with what most people said. Personally I am dismayed by some of the plot changes but I understand the reasons. And to hear that they are splitting the next book over two seasons is music to my ears. Plus that gives Martin a few more years to finish the series.

I do think the second season did not quite have the impact the first did, maybe that was simply because we were all so wowed by the first. Plus the scope of the second book is just so massive.

But I have to nitpick about a few things. Mainly because they are so simple and its hard to see how they could overlook them.

Spoiler:
What happened to the Hounds white cloak, if I remember right he wore it basically to piss off the other Kings Gaurd.

Why is Lightbringer dark. It is one of the main reasons people follow Stannis and the new God, but other than when he pulls it from the flames its simply a sword. Spend 10 bucks on a CGI intern to make it glow.

Why did they make Arya a pussy, she has a great mouse to wolf story arc and she herself kills the last guard before they escape, and where is the coin, that is a MAJOR plot point.

Why have we not seen Varys in disguise, that was one of the best parts about him in the books.

Can't wait for the next season and hopefully they can flesh it out a bit with more time and more money. This story deserves what it is getting.

Arya got the coin in the last episode, didn't she?
Old 06-13-2012, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucksta G View Post
Arya got the coin in the last episode, didn't she?
Yes. It was a two minute scene. I wish she got more storytime, but oh well; it was still good when she HAD her scenes.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KcMsterpce View Post
Yes. It was a two minute scene. I wish she got more storytime, but oh well; it was still good when she HAD her scenes.
Yah I had not watched the finale before I posted. I am so glad that they are splitting the next book over two seasons so we can get more story time for all the characters.

Arya has an awesome plot line, hell they all do, we deserve to see them LOL.

And I just have to say that the White Walkers rocked. The first time we saw them in episode 1 season 1 I was like, blah so fail, buy obviously they got the word and fixed it.

Come on season 3!

Out.............................
Old 06-14-2012, 08:50 PM
As someone mentioned earlier, I think it was KC, I really wish they had Sansa go with Sandor. Given the way they ended that scene, it was just a huge cocktease.
Spoiler:
They easily could have folded Arya's arc with him and just had her go straight to Braavos, as honestly in the books it makes little since why she doesn't just do that anyway, and while she and the Hound are one of my favorite unlikely duo's of he series, I always thought him and Sansa would have been far more interesting and purposeful. Not to mention them partially ruining the climax of that arc already. Just seems like a major missed opportunity.

Like the man said, if you're going to change shit, change it in an interesting way.

Last edited by Danger^Cart; 06-14-2012 at 08:54 PM..
Old 06-14-2012, 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger^Cart View Post
Spoiler:
They easily could have folded Arya's arc with him and just had her go straight to Braavos, as honestly in the books it makes little since why she doesn't just do that anyway, and while she and the Hound are one of my favorite unlikely duo's of he series, I always thought him and Sansa would have been far more interesting and purposeful. Not to mention them partially ruining the climax of that arc already. Just seems like a major missed opportunity.

Crazy talk.
Spoiler:
Arya needs needle back.
How dare you sir!
lol
Old 06-15-2012, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Common Sense Man View Post

Spoiler:

Having just reread Clash of Kings (wanted to refresh my memory), I'm honestly fine with the changes they made to Arya's storyline. Her storyline in books 1 and 3 are great, but book two was a disappointment as far as she was concerned. Her chapters felt way too stagnant to me and even she admits that
Spoiler:
she wasted her first two names on inconsequential people
. Plus, having her interact with Tywin Lannister was far more interesting than her
Spoiler:
removing leeches from Roose Bolton

As far as Season 2 goes, I really liked it. Not quite as much as Season 1, but that's mainly because (aside from the Battle of the Blackwater) the second book was weaker than the first (with A Storm of Swords being the strongest so far in the series). The only thing that bugs me still is what happened with Theon.
Spoiler:
I realize they haven't cast Bolton's bastard son yet (though they are apparently in the process of doing so now), but to have references to him with no payoff, even just someone in Bolton armor capturing Theon just bugs for some reason
Old 06-17-2012, 03:29 PM
I loved Season 1 and I really, really liked Season 2. I'm in on this show for the long run. Love it.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:27 PM
Some casting updates from Comic-Con

Diana Rigg as Olenna "The Queen of Thorns" Tyrell

Thomas Brodie Sangster as Jojen Reed

Ellie Kendrick as Meera Reed

EDIT: This video will be more effective

http://youtu.be/rpSDSgChsaI

Last edited by outsyder; 07-13-2012 at 06:53 PM..
Old 07-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsyder View Post
Some casting updates from Comic-Con

Diana Rigg as Olenna "The Queen of Thorns" Tyrell

Thomas Brodie Sangster as Jojen Reed

Ellie Kendrick as Meera Reed

EDIT: This video will be more effective

http://youtu.be/rpSDSgChsaI
And apparently even more than that...check out the people listed below the video here:

http://winteriscoming.net/2012/07/se...ing-announced/

The only actor I was familiar with on a name basis here before was Thomas Brodie-Sangster who put in a strong lead performance in Death of a Superhero. But no surprise, based on faces, casting looks great as usual.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:55 PM
I don't read the books so I have no real comments on casting news as I'm unfamiliar with the characters. However, so far, I feel every actor that has been cast has done an excellent job, and I expect more of that in the future.

That said, Season 2 was significantly weaker than Season 1. Just felt too muddled. I'll most likely keep watching, as I'm invested in a couple of characters and I really wanna see Joffrey die (like, more than any other character in tv history), but it's not at the top of my list the way it used to be.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:12 PM
Yeah put me in the disappointed in Season 2 category as well. Each episode is still pretty good on its own, but it's definitely - as I think Bourne said earlier - less than the sum of its parts, whereas the first season was the opposite.

While I think a lot of the problems stemmed from the nature of the source material (where we're always in the heads of these characters, leaving the reader far more connected to the people in the show even as the cast of characters sprawls), they also made some changes this year that were for the worse imo. Shoehorning Rob's storyline in this season when it plays out offscreen in the books only made it more apparent just how unnecessary it was for us to see all that. The additions to Daenerys' storyline made it a bigger muddle (and they took her character to new histrionic levels - I was disappointed in the writing for her this season), and Arya's storyline felt far less focused (although they got a lot of mileage out of her interactions with Tywin).

I still have very high hopes for Season 3 and 4 as they are based off by far the best book in the series and one that feels a lot more eventful than the second book. I'm hoping they'll get that balance right finally for these next two seasons.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:14 PM
Casting from this point on is going to be pretty trivial and NOT exciting sadly.

The show is a huge success, and has created it's own stars (Peter and Emilia mostly). Therefore I don't think anybody you've ever heard of is going to be getting a role from this point on.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:33 PM
I can't really say that I judged season two against the source material, as the show was my introduction to the story itself, so for me I didn't mind any of the changes. This newly "released" clip from season three does have me a bit worried, though...

http://i.imgur.com/izDol.gif
Old 07-20-2012, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post
And apparently even more than that...check out the people listed below the video here:

http://winteriscoming.net/2012/07/se...ing-announced/

The only actor I was familiar with on a name basis here before was Thomas Brodie-Sangster who put in a strong lead performance in Death of a Superhero. But no surprise, based on faces, casting looks great as usual.
Looks great to me. A little surprised they went with Tobias Menzies as Edmure, but I think it works. The choices for the Reed children look spot-on to me.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:18 PM
Looks like Michelle MacLaren will be directing episodes 7 & 8 for season three. She's directed a lot of my favorite episodes of BrBa, so this is really great news. I'm thinking she'll be behind the camera for a certain celebration, which is fucking awesome if that ends up being the case.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Qyburn!

Sorry whenever my friends and I have heated SoIaF discussions I'm the only one who ever geeks out over Qyburn. Such a dope character.

I guess Dominic West turned down Mance. What an idiot. I'm glad he did though, I dig him but totally wrong for the part. I read John Hawkes name being thrown around, love that idea. Tailor made.

Also, when I was reading the books, Jason Isaacs forcibly penetrated my brain hole every time Oberyn was on the page. I know the Dornish are supposed to be of a darker complexion or whatever, but he just is that character for me.

Last edited by Danger^Cart; 08-03-2012 at 07:33 PM..
Old 08-17-2012, 08:37 PM
So Ciaran Hinds is Mance Rayder eh?

I absolutely love Hinds, but I really don't know why he was cast as a character that evokes Errol Flynn. Just doesn't seem his style. I'm sure he'll do a great job, but unless the character is significantly different than the one in the books, I'll have a hard time picturing Hinds in this role.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsyder View Post
So Ciaran Hinds is Mance Rayder eh?

I absolutely love Hinds, but I really don't know why he was cast as a character that evokes Errol Flynn. Just doesn't seem his style. I'm sure he'll do a great job, but unless the character is significantly different than the one in the books, I'll have a hard time picturing Hinds in this role.
I'll admit it's a surprising choice, but given how great his work has been, I think he will pull it off without a hitch.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:18 AM
Kinda funny that when reading ASoS I pictured his Rome counterpart James Purefoy as Mance.

Still, the guy is a solid actor and he'll do great.

Last edited by TheMazVolta; 09-22-2012 at 06:09 PM..
Old 08-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Hinds isn't how I imagined Mance really at all, but at the same time I see him doing a really amazing job with it.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:17 PM
well this is one of the best Shows ever. i mean it has a great ratings. and i love the show. because they stick to real things.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:23 PM
A week and a half till the premiere. Who's excited?

Loving that Michelle MacLaren is on board - she's my favourite Breaking Bad director. On the other hand, they lost the best director on the series (Alan Taylor) to Thor 2. And I'm also a bit concerned about David Nutter directing the most crucial episode of the series - he's a pretty good director, but completely lacking in the poeticism and elegance that Taylor brought to the show (I was reaalllllly hoping Taylor would direct it).

That said, the footage in the trailers and spots look pretty great so far and did a nice job of boosting my interest back up. Hoping they hit this and the next season out of the park cause they're pretty much the parts I think all ASOIAF fans have been waiting for.

Here's one of the trailers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1pbtBX9Kok
Old 03-21-2013, 07:45 PM
Getting real excited.

Here's the Game of Trons trailers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4XSeW4B5Rg
Old 03-21-2013, 11:26 PM
Should be fun.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:33 PM
Season two for me was underwhelming, but I'm looking forward to season three.

I plan to try and find time to brush up on the first two seasons this weekend. Might take me a few hours or so.

Season 1: 9/10
Season 2: 7/10
Old 03-22-2013, 12:27 PM
Are they still cramming all of book 3 into one season? I sure hope not... I have no hope for this show if they are.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
Are they still cramming all of book 3 into one season? I sure hope not... I have no hope for this show if they are.
Last I heard they're dividing Book 3 into 2 seasons.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:49 AM
I have noticed on MFC,the guys seem to have taken to this show when it airs in aus l am going to see what it is like and hopelly l like it too
Old 03-23-2013, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryFreak1827 View Post
Last I heard they're dividing Book 3 into 2 seasons.
Yeah, thats what I remember as well.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:15 PM
Heck yeah!!!

I'd consider the first two seasons two of the best shows to air in their respective years, and having now read the books, I'd imagine that this will be the best season yet. I, personally, am not at all concerned about any changes that need to be made in the adaptation process, so I'm sure that helps me to enjoy things more than some of the 'fundamentalists'. So bring it on, I say. Not looking forward to all of the crying from the hardcore book readers about deviations, but I've come to expect it this time around, so hopefully it won't be as annoying to me as it was last season.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:16 AM
Episode 9 of season 3 is titled "The Rains of Castamere". I pooped myself a little when I saw that. Really hoping Tim Van Patten or Alan Taylor is helming that little bit of fluff
Old 03-30-2013, 02:12 AM
Tomorrow! Now to start counting hours.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by docholiday_13 View Post
Episode 9 of season 3 is titled "The Rains of Castamere". I pooped myself a little when I saw that. Really hoping Tim Van Patten or Alan Taylor is helming that little bit of fluff
Nope, neither are on the show this year. Unfortunately, David Nutter is taking that episode on. I think he's obviously more than competent (considering the number of pilots he's brought to series) but pretty pedestrian as far as directors go :/.

It's even more frustrating being aware that Michelle MacLaren is directing episodes 7 and 8 and could have taken that one on. She's easily my favourite Breaking Bad director. I just caught up on the first ten episodes of Walking Dead Season 2 and the only episode that has actually been any good was the episode she directed. (Complete tangent but what a useless, repetitive detour of a television season so far...it's a bad soap opera with occasional zombies and characters consistently fulfilling all the horror movie cliches of stupidity - I've never seen a show fall so hard from the great first two episodes to the rest of the series)

In any case, Nutter did direct two of the more visceral eps of GoT last season, but I didn't find them particularly distinctive on a visual level, with the exception of the Iceland chase scenes. Fingers crossed he'll blow our minds with the last two episodes of this season.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:55 PM
That's unfortunate, JC. I always found it interesting the levels of cinematic visuals that those two could bring to the show. Then again, the events that transpire over the last two episodes should almost direct themselves in terms of mood and tension and "Holy Fuck!"ness.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:19 PM
Just about done with Book 3. Episode 9 is going to be insane.

What did you guys think of the first episode?

Spoiler:
I was wondering how Barristan Selmy's return was going to be revealed on the show and though it came about too quickly (where's Belwas??) I understand why they had to do it that way. Artisan Whitebeard is a much better name though, damn

Dragons are MASSIVE. They are definitely growing.

Oh, best part? Cirian Hinds is Mance Rayder. Talk about perfect casting.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
Just about done with Book 3. Episode 9 is going to be insane.

What did you guys think of the first episode?

Spoiler:
I was wondering how Barristan Selmy's return was going to be revealed on the show and though it came about too quickly (where's Belwas??) I understand why they had to do it that way. Artisan Whitebeard is a much better name though, damn

Dragons are MASSIVE. They are definitely growing.

Oh, best part? Cirian Hinds is Mance Rayder. Talk about perfect casting.
Yep pretty good set up for whats to come. Loved the Unsullied.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:46 AM
Is this thread pretty much book discussion or tv discussion or both? I'm afraid to read are there future spoilers?