Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2012, 01:05 AM
Official ROBOCOP (Remake) Thread (February 12, 2014)

Release Date: August 9, 2013

No official synopsis so far but we've got some quotes courtesy of Joel Kinnaman the new Alex Murphy.

Quote:
“There’s a lot of neuroscience now raising the question, ‘Is all the intelligence in the human body in the brain?’ and they’re finding out that, no, it’s not like that. The body has intelligence itself, and we’re much more of an organic creature in that way. It’s not a control tower that does everything.”

“RoboCop is going to be a lot more human. The first movie is one of my favorite movies. I love it. Of course, Verhoeven has that very special tone, and it’s not going to have that tone. It’s a re-imagination of it. There’s a lot of stuff from the original. There are some details and throwbacks, but this version is a much better acting piece, for Alex Murphy and especially when he is RoboCop. It’s much more challenging.”

“It’s not going to be jaw action. They’re still working on the suit and how it’s going to look, but the visor is going to be see-through. You’re going to see his eyes.”

“Yeah. It’s going to be different. But it’s very good. I was looking to do a big movie and to show that I can carry a big movie, and I couldn’t be happier that this is going to be one of those big movies, a blockbuster, but that is also a real movie. A movie-movie.”

“It’s going to have a political satire to it too.”

Director: José Padilha (Elite Squad, Elite Squad: The Enemy Within)

Here's some more from a Joel Kinnaman interview.

Quote:

What will director José Padilha bring to the film?

Kinnaman: With RoboCop, I couldn’t be happier because it’s such a quality director. He’s a young master. I don’t know if you’ve seen Elite Squad 1 and 2, but if you haven’t, you really should see them. They’re quite incredible. So, he’s a very smart man who’s going to do a very smart movie. If you’ve seen those movies, you know he can portray action.

The original RoboCop had such a specific tone and voice, and it was very satirical. Will this be going for a similar thing?

Kinnaman: I’m such a huge fan of the original. I think I’ve seen the first RoboCop, 15 or 20 times. I’m like a kid, that way. And, I love all of [Paul] Verhoeven’s movies. He has a very special tone. I love Starship Troopers, too. That’s really smart. I think he really could portray fascism in a comedic way. It’s funny because both José [Padilha] and Verhoeven were accused of being fascists for their movies because they had fascist leads. So, it’s not going to have his tone, but there’s going to be political satire in it.

Do you know if you are going to go for an R rating or a PG-13?

Kinnaman: I sincerely hope they’re going for R ‘cause I can’t imagine how RoboCop could be PG-13. That would be a huge mistake. If I have any say in it, I will fight very hard for it. It has to be violent.
I just saw the first Elite Squad and can vouch for Kinnaman's quote about it being incredible. This film is truly in great hands. This is not some MTV school of thought style over substance director (although he's shown he has an eye for vibrant colors), he's a very story-driven, solid director. Kinnaman is a great choice, he kills it in The Killing. I'm glad they went with him and not someone more known either, it's only better for the film.

Last edited by SkyNet; 10-31-2013 at 03:11 PM..
Old 03-29-2012, 01:09 AM
I remember not thinking too much of Robocop or it's subsequent sequels. Though I DO know the first one was significantly better than it's sequels for sure.

Regardless, this sounds like a very interesting take on the whole concept and character. So I will check it out.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:34 AM
I really wish Aronofsky was still attached to this.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:51 AM
I wish he was still attached to The Wolverine.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
I wish he was still attached to The Wolverine.
Oh that too
Old 03-29-2012, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Oh that too
Old 03-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Elite Squad: The Enemy Within is fucking great.!!

I hope this works out.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Quote:

Last edited by echo_bravo; 03-29-2012 at 01:26 PM..
Old 03-29-2012, 02:58 PM
I know nothing of the director or lead actor, but I like the things I'm hearing about them . . . especially the director.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:45 PM
Penn and Norton may join the cast http://screenrant.com/edward-norton-...-sandy-164772/

thanks, Bourne101.

Damn this is great news if it gets realized. Shapes up to be an insane piece!
Old 04-18-2012, 08:24 PM

Wow that would be huge. I hope they both sign on
Old 05-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Gary Oldman joins the cast

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/gary...ake-of-robocop
Old 05-23-2012, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
Robocop Begins?
Old 05-23-2012, 08:05 PM

Having Gary Oldman in your film is never a bad thing.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:09 PM
When I first heard Oldman was in the cast, I was hoping he'd play the villain. Either way, the fact that he's in the movie increases my anticipation for it.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:51 PM
It's not quite the Aronofsky classic it was shaping up to be, but there are a lot of things going right for it.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:33 PM
kinnaman is a phenomenal actor

he is great on amc's the killing
Old 05-25-2012, 05:13 AM
Fuck yeah, Garrrrrrrrry!!
Old 06-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Joel Kinnaman talks RoboCop details
http://collider.com/joel-kinnaman-ro...erview/170568/

Filming starts in September.

Quote:
José has a completely different take on this than Verhoeven had, and with all respect, everybody that’s involved in this movie loved the original and we have a lot of respect for it. We’re going to have a lot of throwbacks and there’s going to be a lot of fun stuff for the fans of the first movie. It’s a new story within the old one.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Now this is a film I can get excited for! I loved the original and would love to see a new take on the material. Joel Kinnaman is awesome on The Killing and Gary Oldman? Well, it goes without saying that he is the man!

Whew...I shouldn't have drank a rather large margarita before posting this, but what the hell.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:27 PM
I'm actually getting really excited for this. Joel Kinnaman is my favorite part of The Killing - great actor. And from his performance, I never would have guessed that he's actually Swedish! I hope this makes him a star.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Sam L Jack joins

Shit just got even realer lol

http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/sam...obocop-at-mgm/

Spoiler:
Old 06-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Just make Sam Robocop.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:47 PM
A SamRobocop would be epic.....(robot voice) Dead or alive , you are coming with me mutha fucka.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuatroDiablos View Post
A SamRobocop would be epic.....(robot voice) Dead or alive , you are coming with me mutha fucka.
I mean, FO' REAL.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Hugh Laurie playing a villain CEO

Ok, so this is easily shaping up to be, if not already, the best cast of 2013, to date.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/hug...rp-in-robocop/
Old 06-12-2012, 09:30 PM
As much as I love Gary Oldman and Samuel L. Jackson, this is my favorite piece of casting news yet! Laurie is so awesome and I can't wait to see him play a bad guy. I'm guessing he'll be kind of like Ronnie Cox's role in the original?
Old 06-13-2012, 10:33 AM
When was the last movie that Sam Jackson gave a really good, unique performance? Without checking IMDB, can anybody name a decent film Hugh Laurie has been in before? I'm starting to get a bit nervous about the fact that half of the cast has been padded with TV actors, usually a sign that the studio is trying to do the film on the cheap. Gary Oldman is the only semblance of hope this film has, but then again he was in Hannibal.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Quote:
When was the last movie that Sam Jackson gave a really good, unique performance? Without checking IMDB, can anybody name a decent film Hugh Laurie has been in before? I'm starting to get a bit nervous about the fact that half of the cast has been padded with TV actors, usually a sign that the studio is trying to do the film on the cheap. Gary Oldman is the only semblance of hope this film has, but then again he was in Hannibal.
I thought Jackson delivered a pretty good performance in Black Snake Moan. I can't name any movie Hugh Laurie has been in, but that doesn't mean he isn't a good actor. He made the TV show House what it was. There are a shitload of A-list actors working today that started out in television. And of the four actors that have major parts (including Laurie), two are not TV actors - Jackson and Oldman.

Don't be so pessimistic.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:44 AM
Hugh has been busy with House. Now its ending so I suspect we'll be seeing a lot more film roles.

And him as a villain - ANY villain - is pure genius.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
I can't name any movie Hugh Laurie has been in, but that doesn't mean he isn't a good actor. He made the TV show House what it was. There are a shitload of A-list actors working today that started out in television.
Started. Hugh Laurie has been a television actor for his entire career, his film roles include Spice World, 102 Dalmations, and Hop. I'm sure the guy has got talent, there are a lot of really talented actors working in television. I'm not concerned with that, what I'm concerned with is why the production of this film keeps going to television actors. That's always a sign of cutting costs. Hiring tv actors for their major motion picture? What other corners are they cutting for this cash-in remake bullshit?

Quote:
And of the four actors that have major parts (including Laurie), two are not TV actors - Jackson and Oldman.
I know, I said half of the cast is comprised of television actors, which is true. And one of those film actors has been phoning it in for well over a decade.

Quote:
Don't be so pessimistic.
Listen, when it comes to uninspired remakes of classic 80s films, I'm going to be pessimistic. Then I'm going to post those pessimistic feelings here, on a movie discussion board. You call me pessimistic, I say I'm keeping my expectations in check for what is most likely going to turn out to be a cash-in hack job.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Listen, when it comes to uninspired remakes of classic 80s films, I'm going to be pessimistic. Then I'm going to post those pessimistic feelings here, on a movie discussion board. You call me pessimistic, I say I'm keeping my expectations in check for what is most likely going to turn out to be a cash-in hack job.
Something tells me this film won't be a hack job at all. The quality of the cast is excellent so far and there has to be a reason why Aronofsky was even considering doing this film.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:09 PM
DaveyJoeG, have you seen Jose Padilha's "Elite Squad" films? If not, check them out.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:36 PM
There are 5 major actors cast in the movie. The fifth one being Abbie Cornish, who is not, from what I can remember, a television actor. She's a good actress too. I liked her in Limitless and thought she was the best thing about Sucker Punch.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
she was the best thing about Sucker Punch.
No shit, with a bangin' body like that? Pheeeew

Old 06-13-2012, 06:46 PM
Quote:
DaveyJoeG, have you seen Jose Padilha's "Elite Squad" films? If not, check them out.
No, I haven't, but I have heard good things. I definitely intend to check them out, and I'm looking forward to watching them. I see one is on Netflix instant watch, but I always get confused about which is the first movie.

I'll admit that I'm harder on remakes/reboots than other films, especially if I'm a fan of the original(Robocop, Infernal Affairs, etc.) I'd just like to say that many talented directors have put out mediocre films for various reasons, often times due to studio interference. I just think a remake of Robocop is highly unnecessary... but I wouldn't oppose a sequel aimed at reigniting the franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
There are 5 major actors cast in the movie. The fifth one being Abbie Cornish, who is not, from what I can remember, a television actor. She's a good actress too. I liked her in Limitless and thought she was the best thing about Sucker Punch.
A woman in an action movie. She is irrelevant.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:56 PM

Old 06-13-2012, 07:00 PM
^Seems a bit early for that, can anybody tell what we're looking at in those posters? Robocop's arm? Leg? ED209??
Old 06-13-2012, 07:02 PM
Quote:
^Seems a bit early for that, can anybody tell what we're looking at in those posters? Robocop's arm? Leg? ED209??
Quite possibly the suit redesign. It reminds me of the game Crysis, and since the suit is going to be entering 'nanotechnology' this seems like parts of the suit.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Quite possibly the suit redesign. It reminds me of the game Crysis, and since the suit is going to be entering 'nanotechnology' this seems like parts of the suit.
I don't know... I kind of think it looks like Playstation 4... which will also have nanotechnology. Well played, Japan.