Old 06-19-2012, 10:36 PM
Lords of Salem [2012] - Rob Zombie

Here's a bootleg teaser http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=y6_XMwTwVms#!
Old 06-20-2012, 05:24 AM
Thanks for the link.

It reminded me of House of 1000 Corpses. Which is a good thing.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:36 AM
still no release date on this?
Old 06-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Rob Zombie, like Tim Burton, should not include his wife in everything he produces/directs. That being said, this looks scary as hell!
Old 06-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Rob Zombie's screenwriting and directing skills are about on par with those of a jar of mayonnaise.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:16 PM
This looks more on par with his first two films than the last few, which is definitely a good thing. It does still look to be a bit campy, but we are talking about Rob Zombie here. I'll give this one a fair shot.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid Vicious View Post
Rob Zombie's screenwriting and directing skills are about on par with those of a jar of mayonnaise.
That's fucking hilarious.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid Vicious View Post
Don't insult mayonnaise like that, it's a little more crafty.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:29 PM
Is a one-hit wonder thus far that casts some solid throwback/familiar faces to genre fans. I have no hope anymore for his work but still will find myself giving this a chance, and most likely on opening night. No clue why. Its an odd intrigue I suppose - making a solid flick like Devils Rejects, than churning out awful razzy-filled toilets of cinema.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:43 PM
TRAILER - http://collider.com/lords-of-salem-trailer/199963/ same thing I posted in June though, but HD quality

Last edited by Digifruitella; 10-03-2012 at 07:47 PM..
Old 10-04-2012, 02:51 AM
Looks like he's ripping off Kubrick and Polanski now. I guess that means he grew up since his last disasters? I'm still not sold on it. Zombie's shown talent for weird imagery, which this trailer is chock full of, but that only takes you so far.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cop No. 633 View Post
Looks like he's ripping off Kubrick and Polanski now. I guess that means he grew up since his last disasters? I'm still not sold on it. Zombie's shown talent for weird imagery, which this trailer is chock full of, but that only takes you so far.
Pretty much what Cop said. I saw this type of shit in Zombie's Halloween 2. Crazy visuals does not a good movie make.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HyDe807 View Post
Pretty much what Cop said. I saw this type of shit in Zombie's Halloween 2. Crazy visuals does not a good movie make.
Halloween 2 didn't have these types of visuals.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
Halloween 2 didn't have these types of visuals.
The whole dinner nightmarish sequences from HW2 had a kind of vibe that some of those scenes are putting out. This doesn't look any different from those, only he made a feature length film out of that scene.

Maybe I'm being harsh, but after the utter incompetence of HW2, my optimism of a good Zombie flick is right out of the window.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:06 PM
I can't believe people are still giving this guy money to make movies, he's terrible.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:19 PM
I like Rob Zombie movies (With the exception of Halloween 2, that was pretty bad)

But House of 1000 Corpses was awesome and The Devil's Rejects was one of the best horror movies I have ever seen.

I am looking forward to this movie.

In terms of his screenwriting, as long as he isnt writing for underage females, I have had no problem with his words, but his dialog for the girls in Halloween sucked!
Old 10-04-2012, 03:19 PM
ANCHOR BAY FILMS WINS RIGHTS TO ROB ZOMBIE’S THE LORDS OF SALEM

ORONTO, ON – After much speculation and a heated bidding war, Anchor Bay Films emerged as the new home for Rob Zombie’s The Lords of Salem. Under the agreement, Anchor Bay will handle all U.S. distribution rights on the film. Written and directed by Rob Zombie, The Lords of Salem stars Sheri Moon Zombie (Halloween) as well as Bruce Davison (X-Men), Jeff Daniel Phillips (Halloween 2), Ken Foree (Dawn of the Dead), Patricia Quinn (The Rocky Horror Picture Show), Dee Wallace (E.T.) and Judy Geeson (To Sir, With Love). The film premiered last week at the 2012 Toronto International Film Festival and received rave reviews from mainstream and genre critics alike. Anchor Bay Entertainment President Bill Clark made today’s announcement.

“We’re extremely excited to be working on this film with Rob,” commented Kevin Kasha, Executive Vice President, Acquisitions and Co-Productions. “It’s a perfect fit for Anchor Bay.”

“I have always been a fan of the care and respect Anchor Bay has put into their genre titles,” said Zombie. “I can’t wait to work together to bring this bizarre, special movie to the masses.”

http://anchorbayentertainment.com/ne...c-d4ae527c3940
Old 10-04-2012, 03:21 PM
I've always thought Zombie had a ton of potential, but he just has to scale back on the random psychotic redneck characters. It worked for Devil's Rejects, but enough is enough. They felt out of place in the suburbs of Illinois in Halloween. I've been to Salem and I didn't see any psychotic whitetrash rednecks so hopefully this movie will lack them as well... though I didn't see any Satan worshiping witches either.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:56 PM
if he backs up on the redneck stereotypes and doesn't just rely on visuals with flashy lighting, it could be okay. i'll watch. but i have little to no expectations with him anymore other than good casting.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:25 PM
Visually, Zombie has never failed. Story and acting on the other hand, now that's a different story. I literally watched H2 a second time only to count the number of times the f-word was said.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig Saw 123 View Post
Visually, Zombie has never failed.
I thought the visuals in House of 1000 Corpses were awful. When he inverted the colors for no reason is when I gave up on the movie. It didn't even look cool or stylish, it just burned my retinas. I've seen youtube videos that looked better than this movie.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:09 PM
My buddy saw this at TIFF Midnight Madness. I believe he didn't like the previous Rob Zombie movies but he thought this was pretty great and different from anything Zombie has done to this point. Said it was slow-burn horror and I believe he mentioned Kubrickan at one point in our conversation.

I've never seen a Rob Zombie movie so I don't have much opinion on his work, other than that I've generally heard bad things. But I quite like the vibe of this trailer.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:01 AM
I'll admit that a few of the images looked alright, but overall this looks every bit as bad as every other Rob Zombie. It looks hilariously awful to me.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Well, House and Rejects are modern horror classics imo, and I dug Halloween when it first came out, but it's lost it's luster over time.

I have faith in this one.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:29 PM
I thought that both House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects were fantastic horror films..I never bothered with the Halloween remakes because they just didn't grab my attention...Personally I think Lords of Salem looks fantastic
Old 02-06-2013, 12:48 AM
Trailer 2 - http://youtu.be/GBXumvqRAHk
Old 02-20-2013, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
. . . where are the witches?

This doesn't look half as gnarly as I was expecting. In fact, it looks like this could be his worst.

Every single piece of dialogue in that trailer sounds like it's being dragged out of the actors. Pfft.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:02 PM
Just got back from seeing this, and man, what a disappointment!

It was really just boring, it had some sick and twisted stuff in it, but for the most part it really just dragged on and on, and when it was building towards something, it seemed to just cut off at it's peak to bring it back down.

House of 1000 Corpses was a great movie and Devil's Rejects ranks as one of my favorite movies, but his last 2 live action efforts (Halloween 2 and this) have been lackluster (luckily El Superbeasto came out in between was a weird and hilarious view into Zombie's world)

It had that Zombie feel to it, which is good, cuz I like the feel of Rob Zombie movies, but it just was a bit of a mis fire in my book.

1 plus: Sherri Moon Zombie is smoking hot! I know people bitch about her being in all Rob Zombie movies, but she is so smokin hot that it works for me! PLus her acting was pretty spot on in this movie I thought.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:58 AM
I dug it. Here's some background on how I saw it: I've been meaning to see Olympus Has Fallen for weeks and went to see it tonight. As I was walking up to get my ticket I saw Lords Of Salem listed on the scroll of movies showing and thought what the fuck is that? I found and dug the poster, and figured since I'd seen zero marketing for this it probs won't be in theaters long, so I saw it instead. I hadn't heard one word about it, didn't see a trailer, didn't even know this movie existed until I was standing in line to buy a ticket for it. The Devil's Rejects was Rob Zombie's only good movie 'til now, but the poster was interesting and I'll usually watch anything horror.

Anyway, I was really pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't say that it dragged, as SkyNet said, but it was certainly slow. I liked that though, and thought it worked. It isn't a nail-biting horror movie, but it certainly has some tense and disturbing scenes that work as more of a slow burn. Visually it was fucking awesome, with some imagery that could have been iconic were this a bigger movie. The use of music is great too, in particular the small piece that plays heavily into the plot, that one is still stuck in my head hours later.

I could see this gaining a cult following, 'cuz it's definitely a love it or hate it movie. SkyNet's comment about build-ups being sort of cut off is accurate, in at least a couple cases, but again I thought that worked. By the time we get to the end we're in a pretty fuckin sick place, and I for one was thoroughly engrossed by the twisted little world he'd pulled us into. A lot of the ingredients seem derivative, borrowing from stuff like Suspiria and Rosemary's Baby and a few others, but put together they feel different. In fact the more I think about this movie the more I like it. I give it 7/10.

And I agree about Sherri Moon being hot. I dug the scenes where she was nakedized and wished they'd lasted longer.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:21 PM
This is Rob Zombie with a Ti West feel and restraint. While his ear for dialogue still comes off as flat as a pancake, he's scaled back on the trailer trashy, chicken fucking dialogue that made the characters in his other movies sound indistinguishable, which I appreciated. There are some real unsettling images and some WTF? ones

Spoiler:
the sasquatch?

I really liked little details like a lamp fixture slowly swinging at the end of a corridor. This is a pastiche of other horror films --
Spoiler:
I liked of the Room 237 sequence from The Shining, complete with heartbeat and what sounded like a subtler, softer version of Penderecki's "The Awakening of Jacob."
although it felt like a longer version was in the works
Spoiler:
was the Ken Foree character in league with the coven, a la Cassavettes in Rosemary's Baby, or am I just thinking too hard?

7/10, which makes this the highest I've rated an RZ movie.

Last edited by Lazy Boy; 04-21-2013 at 05:44 PM..
Old 04-22-2013, 12:47 AM
I need to get Lord Simen's approval of this before I see it.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:07 PM
THE LORDS OF SALEM - 6/10

This is a very, very aggravating movie. I am a huge fan of Zombie's previous work (I actually think Halloween II is pretty much brilliant in every way) and I have always loved Sheri Moon Zombie (when I was 15, I named my cat Baby after her character in The Devil's Rejects ) but this was a huge step back for him. It really could have been a great movie but the script was so, so, so poorly written. Sheri Moon Zombie was way over her head here, she was terrible but the part was written so horribly that I can't put all of the blame on her. Even after all that awfulness, the biggest WTF??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! moment was Dee Wallace... I have no words. SO BAD. Despite all of this... I did admire the film. Zombie is a visionary and a fantastic director. Technically this movie is amazing (and the score, OMG so good!) but it has so many misfires it is hard to really like it.

I was never bored and Zombie's direction was phenomenal... So I need to give it a lot of credit. Like I said, I admired it a lot. I just wish someone else wrote it.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:31 AM

I appreciate Rob Zombie trying to go for the slow burn route and there are a few moments of quiet eeriness here and there. Unfortunately, Zombie has no real sense of pacing. The first 2/3rd's are mostly just slow and dull, with occasional moments of cheesiness but then for the last 20 minutes, it completely lost me going so over the top that it was just laughably bad. It's not scary nor disturbing, just unintentionally funny. And not even that funny. It just felt weird for the sake of weirdness. It was totally awful.

It's not as bad as Halloween II. That still remains the career nadir for Zombie. But it comes awfully close. Worst movie of the year so far. I'm starting to wonder if Zombie will ever make a good movie. Guess not.

2/10
Old 04-29-2013, 11:16 PM
I was very much entertained by this movie but probably not in the way Zombie intended. I liked the atmosphere(if you've not been to Salem, I suggest you go) and some of the visuals, but it was a very boring film. And the moments that come after the scene in the trailer with Sheri wearing the white face paint ascending the stars, had me laughing for a solid minute.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILxxx View Post
I was very much entertained by this movie but probably not in the way Zombie intended. I liked the atmosphere(if you've not been to Salem, I suggest you go) and some of the visuals, but it was a very boring film. And the moments that come after the scene in the trailer with Sheri wearing the white face paint ascending the stars, had me laughing for a solid minute.
What up man?! Hope you've been great. Nice to see you posting again.

And I'm glad you dug this film. I may have to check it out now. I dug 1000 Corpses so who knows I just might like this one.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
I thought the visuals in House of 1000 Corpses were awful. When he inverted the colors for no reason is when I gave up on the movie. It didn't even look cool or stylish, it just burned my retinas. I've seen youtube videos that looked better than this movie.
The overly saturated colors didn't really bother me as much as the overly grainy segments that were trying too hard to be 'grindhousy'.

Anyway, I finally got around to see TLOS and it was slightly below average. The visuals were definitely the best of any previous Zombie films, but like his other films, there's poor dialogue and the miscast of his wife as the lead only brings the film down.