Old 06-13-2012, 11:09 AM
Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania

So thereīs a new Smashing Pumpkins album (or rather, Billy Corgan and some other people) coming out this week. It will be called "Oceania" and Iīm curious about who else is curious. I love and appreciate anything up to "Zeitgeist" and the stuff that was released after the come-back ("American Gothic" and some of "Teagarden...") was kinda split. There were some great songs but I was shocked at how terrible some material from "Teagarden" were. I mean, "Owata" and "Widow make my Mind" especially. Iīm hoping for an album that Iīm going to love and rave about but Iīm not sure if Iīll find it.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:47 AM
It's currently streaming for free on iTunes. http://theaudioperv.com/2012/06/11/n...aming-in-full/

Like you, I loved everything up to "Zeitgeist" (which I thought was dreadful aside from a couple songs), and the "Teargarden" stuff was.....hit-or-miss, to be nice about it.

It has been my opinion that if Corgan doesn't hit it out of the park with "Oceania", he may as well give it up. In other words, this may be his last chance.

Sooooo.....after hearing "Oceania" about twice through now....I'm gonna say it's a BIG improvement over "Zeitgeist" and "Teargarden"....but not exactly a home-run. The first half really rocks - it's straight-up psychedelic rock, a little "Gish"-ish....while the rest of it is very mellow and lovey-dovey, almost like a more acoustic, less electronic "Adore".

It's a long album, and there's a lot to digest. I haven't heard it enough times to have a solid opinion yet, but I can tell you it's a solid effort, and the closest to the REAL Smashing Pumpkins we've heard in a looong time. Curiously, it isn't very commercial at all. There aren't any songs that immediately scream "hit single"...certainly no "Today" or "Bullet With Butterfly Wings"...hell, not even an "Ava Adore"....but that doesn't really bother me. I don't think that's what Corgan was going for this time.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:56 AM
Five songs in...it is absolute shit.
Zeitgeist was much better, and that doesn't day much.
This is coming from a fan who has Siamese Dream in his top ten of all time.
Maybe I'll warm to it if I listen again, but Ive heard nothing yet to make me want to. Billy is no Trent, he needs a talented and creative group around him to write great music. O.G SP members elevated his talents into what made them famous. Too bad.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Wow.
Google "Oceania" and look at the early reviews. They're ecstatic.

After listening to it a few more times, I'm changing my opinion: this is *almost* a damn near perfect Pumpkins record. Every album is totally different in tone - "Oceania" follows that trend. I make references to "Gish" and "Adore" simply because those are the closest other SP albums I can compare it to. But "Oceania" is its own animal, with its own unique vibe.

Corgan's lyrics aren't as good as usual here...and there are a couple songs around the middle I might skip over in the future ("My Love Is Winter", "One Diamond, One Heart"). Yeah I know this is Smashing Pumpkins, but these songs are just TOO lovey-dovey and syrupy....I felt like I was gonna get diabetes from listening to them.
FixedMind, try listening to it next time with skipping these two tracks.

But "Quasar" is a slammin' opener (almost sounds like it could've come directly from the "Gish" sessions), "Pinwheels" is the best 'mellow' Pumpkins song since "Thirty Three", "Pale Horse" is beautiful and haunting (it's like Joy Division put through the Smashing Pumpkins filter), the title track is friggin' EPIC, there's a couple great rock songs towards the end ("The Chimera", "Glissandra", "Inkless"), and the closing track "Wildflower" might be my second-favorite SP closing song after "Luna" from "Siamese Dream".

And the new band is great. No complaints. The new drummer is almost as good as Jimmy.

As far as I'm concerned, "Zeitgeist" can be erased from the books. This is the first official Pumpkins record since "Machina".
Old 06-16-2012, 03:45 AM
Just got done listening to this one. Out of 13 songs, I enjoyed 7 of them. I like some the ethereal sounds and a coupla songs are reminiscent of their "Gish" days. But the other 6 just sounded too similar to one another or repetitive or there was just something about them annoyed the shit outta me. Having said that, here's the tracks I liked the best:

-Quasar
-Panopticon
-Violet Rays (Best song on the whole album, fucking loved this one!)
-My Love is Winter
-Pale Horse
-The Chimera
-Inkless

So yeah, not too bad. I'm glad Billy & the new lineup decided to go back to releasing a traditional album as well. I've enjoyed songs from their sporadic "Teargarden by Kaleidoscope" drawn out project, but most have been more misses than hits.

Though I've gotta say that Zeitgeist is a better/more enjoyable album, I DO like where the Pumpkins are headed moving forward with this latest effort, for the most part. Check it out if you're an SP fan!
Old 06-18-2012, 12:33 AM
As your attorney, I advise you to listen to it a couple more times.
The songs that seemed "meh" at first will begin to grow on you. Trust me.

Seriously? I'd say this ranks alongside "Siamese Dream" and "Adore" as their best works.

Great fucking comeback, Corgan.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyWatchingAndDiscussingMovies View Post
Seriously? I'd say this ranks alongside "Siamese Dream"
Old 06-18-2012, 12:53 AM
fixedMind: every Pumpkins album is different. This is a different, middle-aged Corgan. It's a great album. Google the reviews. You're in the minority here, buddy.

For God's sake, "Pinwheels" and "Pale Horse" alone make this the best Pumpkins record since "Adore" or "Machina".

Last edited by IEnjoyWatchingAndDiscussingMovies; 06-18-2012 at 12:57 AM..
Old 06-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Shit, my local cool record store doesnīt have it yet and since Iīm a "support your cool record stores" guy it will have to wait to be checked out. I gotta say Iīm sorta afraid that it generates such mixed opinions Signs of me falling into the middle ground which I hoped wouldnīt be the case...

BTW: Just because a negative opinion is in the minority doesnīt mean it isnīt valid.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyWatchingAndDiscussingMovies View Post
fixedMind: every Pumpkins album is different. This is a different, middle-aged Corgan. It's a great album. Google the reviews. You're in the minority here, buddy.

For God's sake, "Pinwheels" and "Pale Horse" alone make this the best Pumpkins record since "Adore" or "Machina".
Um, I can google the album and find just as many bad reviews as good ones. Just because you focus on the good ones doesn't mean Im in a minority. Corgans musical style and my musical taste have just gone in different directions. Im not mad or anything, early Pumpkins are still one of my favs. To each their own.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixedMind View Post
Um, I can google the album and find just as many bad reviews as good ones. Just because you focus on the good ones doesn't mean Im in a minority. Corgans musical style and my musical taste have just gone in different directions. Im not mad or anything, early Pumpkins are still one of my favs. To each their own.
Nothing personal my man, but I found ONE bad review, and that was from a writer who began the review by saying he always hated Smashing Pumpkins.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:39 AM
I still haven't heard this yet. I planned to, but I've been sick all week and haven't had the patience to do much of anything. Hopefully I can give it a listen once I'm feeling better.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Got the Cd today, on my second spin. So far I think that itīs alright. "Quasar" is a good song but it borrows so much from guitar riffs from "Shiva" and "Silverfuck" right one minute into the song itīs a pretty weak start for a "new" Pumpkins album if you ask me. "One Diamond, One Star" sounds pretty awful - like Corganīs solo album but with much cheesier synths. There are some great tracks in here and Iīm sure itīs going to grow on me with repeated listens but I doubt Iīll put it in the same league as their older stuff (everything including Zeitgeist).
Old 06-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Hmm, that new band sounds like U2 meets Iron Maiden...Still need a few more spins to get a definite opinion but god I hate U2.