Old 06-14-2012, 12:34 AM
Mark Wahlberg

What do you guys think of him? I think he is a great actor who brings a great level of intensity to each role. He was amazing in Boogie Nights, Three Kings, and The Departed. He showed great comedic skills in the Other guys.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:09 AM
Hi Mark, go back to curling conrete blocks on a bar.
Departed, Fear, Shooter...stay on that track.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:09 AM

Who the hell would've thought 21 years ago, he'd be considered one of the best actors of this generation?

I mean, we give him a lot of shit about his past, but looking at all the amazing work he's turned in since at least '96...it's kinda hard to argue, he's the man.

SHIVER ME TIMBERS...

FIRST POST IN A WHILE THAT DIDN'T INVOLVE SARCASM OR A WITTY COMEBACK...STRANGE...
Old 06-19-2012, 01:03 AM
Wahlberg is considered as one of the best actors of this generation? Really? Really? Wow.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
Wahlberg is considered as one of the best actors of this generation? Really? Really? Wow.
Look at some of the films on his resume
Boogie Nights
Three Kings
The Departed
The Fighter
The Yards
The Italian Job
Invincible
The Other Guys
Nominated for three golden globes and one academy award.
He is one of the best actors of this generation. Who would have thought that he would become such an A list actor?
Old 06-19-2012, 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flimmaker1473 View Post
Boogie Nights
Three Kings
The Departed
The Fighter
The Yards
The Italian Job
Invincible
The Other Guys
He is one of the best actors of this generation. Who would have thought that he would become such an A list actor?
Comical.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNb1YJYX07Q
Old 06-19-2012, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixedMind View Post
Comical.
Are you going to give a legit reason?
Old 06-19-2012, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
Funny Seth MacFarlane ends up hiring Mark Wahlberg to star in his first feature film too...
Old 06-19-2012, 02:44 AM
Quote:
He is one of the best actors of this generation.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:34 AM
I actually don't like his work EXCEPT...
I felt he was good in "The Big Hit" and he lost me for awhile until "The Other Guys".
He was hilarious in that movie.
He was a peacock and he had to fly.

He gets no mercy from me for "Ted" however.
Seriously?
"The Happening" and "Max Payne" weren't enough to let you know not to go in these directions?
Old 06-19-2012, 01:36 PM
Not many people are blessed to have the career that he has enjoyed. I think he will get nominated for another academy award soon.
Ted looks very funny. I don't like Seth MacFarlane (Family Guy isn't funny anymore), but since I can see any movie for free, I'll give it a watch
He is a good straight man in comedies. He should do more of them.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Quick rundown of my view of Wahlberg...

When I was a sophmore in highschool I remember laughing my ass off when I heard Donnie Wahlbergs little brother was gonna put out a hip hop album... as much as I wanted to hate them, I really enjoyed the 2 singles he put out. Over the next couple of years I dont remember much except for it seemed everytime I saw him on MTV he was only in his underwear. One night my dad rented Renaissance Man and I noticed him in it, and was impressed that he wasnt a bad actor. I watched fear because of Allyssa Millano, and Wahlberg blew me away playing a very impressive psycho bully type. I was impressed by Boogie Nights just like the rest of the world. String of good movies with Clooney... Planet of the Apes came out and I hated it... I never really blamed it on him... as I dont think any actor could have saved that one. I however loved Rockstar, though many seemed to not. Since I never played the video game I enjoyed Max Payne very much, tho everyone who loved the game hated the movie, so I always wondered if they had called it something else if it would have had a different outcome. I also liked the happening, though I seen all the flaws, I still enjoyed it. There are many other excellent films hes in, I just skimmed the top, but I will end it with The Other Guys... one of the most underrated comedies ever... I have watched it so many times and I crack up everytime...
Old 06-19-2012, 03:07 PM
He's hit or miss for me.

I think it depends on what director he is working with.

All of his work with David O Russell is top notch. And of course there is Booggie Nights which imo is his best performance.

But then there are a lot of films where I just can't like him in. Shooter & Contraband come to mind. He just comes across as an unlikeable meathead in these films.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:21 PM
He's like Bruce Willis, in that he's a cool, badass action star but he's also proven to be a very solid actor (not on Willis's level though) when taking more daring parts. He AWESOME in I Heart Huckabees. He had some intense moments in Three Kings when he gets captured. And, even though he was overshadowed by Christian Bale, he was still very solid in The Fighter.

So I may not be quite as enthusiastic about him as the original poster, but I am definitely a big fan of his.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Boogie Nights
Three Kings
The Departed
The Fighter
The Yards
The Italian Job
Invincible
The Other Guys
I like me some Marky Mark as much as the next guy, but he is far from being described as a good actor. He basical plays Dumb Marky, Intense Marky or Feel Sorry for Me Marky.

You are also leaving out all his many bad films.

Why the hell he is not devloping a Dignam movie is beyond me. That was his best Intense Marky movie.

I also love the Italian Job and have been waiting for the Brazilian Job movie for years.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:54 PM
I don't care what anyone says, I thought Max Payne was actually awesome, a great movie and a video game adaptation that didn't FEEL like it came from a video game. And Wahlberg is terrific in the movie. Playing such a sad character and doing a great job of it too.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
I like me some Marky Mark as much as the next guy, but he is far from being described as a good actor. He basical plays Dumb Marky, Intense Marky or Feel Sorry for Me Marky.

You are also leaving out all his many bad films.

Why the hell he is not devloping a Dignam movie is beyond me. That was his best Intense Marky movie.

I also love the Italian Job and have been waiting for the Brazilian Job movie for years.
What actor hasn't done a bad movie? Sounds like you just don't like him. I hate Angelina Jolie. But I will admit she is a great actress. Anyone has been nominated for an academy award is a good actor or actress in my book.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:47 AM
He's a good actor, but I don't think he's one of the greatest of this generation. All the great movies he's in are great for more reasons than just his appearance in them. I think the only I own with him in it is The Departed, and I didn't buy it because of him.

Wait . . . my wife bought The Fighter, so that two.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:07 AM
Quote:
He is one of the best actors of this generation.
WHAT?? NOOOOOOOOO!

Seriously, though, Wahlberg can act. It's just that he usually doesn't.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Quote:
What actor hasn't done a bad movie? Sounds like you just don't like him. I hate Angelina Jolie. But I will admit she is a great actress. Anyone has been nominated for an academy award is a good actor or actress in my book.
Where did I say I don't like him? You left out his huge list of bad films.
I have seen many of his movies in the theater. I like the guy. He seems like a cool and geniune person. I loved Entourage and he was the producer (snl joke). I liked many of the movies he was in too. But he is not a great actor by any means.

The Big Hit
The Yards
The Perfect Storm
Planet of the Apes
Rock Star
The Truth About Charlie
Four Brothers
Shooter
We Own the Night
The Happening
Max Payne
The Lovely Bones
The Others Guys'
Contraband

That's a lot of bad movies right there. And that is only in the last 15 years. He has years more to keep pumping them out. One thing he is not is a lazy ass. I respect that. I don't think he is funny either. He should stay out of comedies. He is not Robert Deniro
Old 06-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Quote:
I have seen many of his movies in the theater. I like the guy. He seems like a cool and geniune person. I loved Entourage and he was the producer (snl joke). I liked many of the movies he was in too. But he is not a great actor by any means.

The Big Hit
The Yards
The Perfect Storm
Planet of the Apes
Rock Star
The Truth About Charlie
Four Brothers
Shooter
We Own the Night
The Happening
Max Payne
The Lovely Bones
The Others Guys'
Contraband

That's a lot of bad movies right there. And that is only in the last 15 years. He has years more to keep pumping them out. One thing he is not is a lazy ass. I respect that. I don't think he is funny either. He should stay out of comedies. He is not Robert Deniro
The Yards, A perfect Storm, The other guys, Rock star and four brothers are good movies. Maybe it is a matter of your taste (which might be questionable).
Old 06-24-2012, 01:20 PM
He's a fine actor. Not amazing but he does good work a lot of the time.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:28 PM
Quote:
The Yards, A perfect Storm, The other guys, Rock star and four brothers are good movies. Maybe it is a matter of your taste (which might be questionable).
LOL Clearly.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Quote:

The Yards
The Perfect Storm
Four Brothers
Shooter
We Own the Night
The Others Guys'
Contraband

That's a lot of bad movies right there.
Mediocre, sub-par, maybe. BAD? Hardly. And I used to be one of the biggest Wahlberg haters.

SHIVER ME TIMBERS...

AND "WE OWN THE NIGHT"? "THE YARDS"? REALLY? COME ON MAN, THEY WERE SLOW TO START, BUT NOT EVEN CLOSE TO BEING "THE HAPPENING"-BAD.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Quote:
LOL Clearly.
Your the same guy that said Ashton Kucther is a good actor right?
Old 07-08-2012, 02:25 PM
I consider him a blue-collar actor .... gets the job done but nothing flashy or memorable. All of his movies depend more on the script than his actual performance.