Old 06-24-2012, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital821 View Post
First off I have to say that I have been getting my news almost exclusively from Joblo for close to 10 years. There have been several iterations of this site, some good, some not. We learn how to use the newest features with time, and patience. That being said I have to say that this is probably the worst layout this site has seen. It's been making me venture off to get news from other sites. I don't like that, I want to be a Joblo reader. The design is very cluttered, and it is difficult to figure out where I am supposed to look. The direction the design has taken is definitely new and bold, albeit clunky and confusing. I think sometime fewer options are the best course of action. I love the site, love the style of the articles, love the reporters, the posters, the identity that is "Joblo", I do not however love this new design.

Just my 2 cents. I don't contribute often, but when I do, it's to complain. Thanks for listening.
Thanks for your feedback, especially the preface about being a "grizzled ancient" because that is telling as well. I'm not sure how many other websites you visit, but our looks is pretty much EXACTLY like many of the top sites/blogs in the world these days, so I'm not sure where you think it's cluttered and clunky, etc...?

It's DIFFERENT from before, that is granted, but at the same time, changes takes TIME to adapt, so maybe you can wait a week, use the new site a little and see if get used to it? It's really NOT that difficult, I assure you.

If you liked everything else about the site, ALL THAT remains the same! All we've really changes is the "look" of the site and some navigation, but even then, there are many NEW OPTIONS that we're there before, so maybe you just need to get used to it.

I encourage all "grizzled ancients" not to give up on the site (and change in general) so quickly. We've thankfully been receiving a LOT of praise from competitor sites and shmoes alike about the blazing new look, but at the same time, I'm not going to discount all the 'old timers' comments, but you need to realize that we will ALWAYS BE CHANGING with the times, so that will never change.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenberry Reborn View Post
JoBlo doesn't understand that there are MANY similar sites (that are also free) that don't talk down to their fans. WE HAVE OPTIONS. We don't need to visit this website. We WANT to, and if some of us offer constructive criticism, it's because we want this site to SUCCEED.

JoBlo, if we're in the wrong, you can explain things without sounding like a dickhole. You seriously need to change the way you respond to CONSTRUCTIVE (all of the feedback in this thread has been constructive) criticism. If you "don't get" why your fanbase seems entitled at times, you need to remove yourself from the Internet. Consumers (that's us, the people that give you page views) have the upper hand. This is the age of immediate gratification. The more times we have to click to get the information we want, the less desirable your website is to the MAJORITY of Internet users.

Again, try not to condescend to the folks who have allowed you to quit your "real job" so that you can be a full-time online personality. This site may be free, but some of us have shopped through your links, purchased your merchandise and even bought your book. We should get a say every now and then.
Maybe you should re-read your response and see who sounds like a "dickhole" and condescending. If you consider my responses condescending, I wonder what you think of other sites that don't even listen or respond to their clients? They must be the devil himself! I speak to other movie webmasters all the time and the MAJORITY of them don't respond to their email complaints and I don't know many others that have a friggin' forum SPECIFICALLY for that.

Lighten up, bro.

I'm here...I'm responding to people politely but I have the same rights as you to RESPOND and speak my mind, as you all do. If I wanted to be a real jerk, I would shut down this thread and not listen to any feedback, but I've been doing this for 15 years and I've ALWAYS been responsive to our readers.

I've never heard of you, so maybe you should learn a little more about me, before mouthing off based on a couple of responses.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Common Sense Man View Post
A JoBlo response, I am not worthy

Okay thanks for that pro tip, I would have never figured that out myself. I know, I know its on the right side but I can handle that.

Out.................................
It's actually something that is explained in our NEW LOOK FAQ (http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/the-...-look-and-feel) or something that you might have discovered if you surfed the new look for a week or so.

This is exactly what I was asking from everyone earlier: RELAX. Wait a few days, surf the site a little bit more and then return to this thread and feel free to be "constructive" in your feedback.

There are also links to the 10 LATEST HEADLINES below each article, which is pretty much the same amount of articles shown on the left hand side before.

Please guys...just surf the site for a few days and then comment...
Old 06-24-2012, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyWatchingAndDiscussingMovies View Post
He's right about this.

But...

...just like every single other 'movie news' website. I don't think anyone is "shitting on" your hard work. These people love your site and they're just giving their feedback on the new format. I don't really see the need to be so condescending to people who are, more or less, your fans.
Put yourself in my place for a minute. Pretend you run a restaurant and you decide to have a FREE FOR ALL DAY for people in the neighbourhood because you are feeling good and believe you are helping these people. Folks come into the restaurant, enjoy your food and then get online and COMPLAIN about it, even though they paid NOTHING for the food.

Would that make you feel good?

We're not robots here, people. If you expect us to sit here, read through comments from people who apparently are 'big fans" of the site (from their own words) but will "have to look for their movie news elsewhere" simply because they can't deal with the new look, after only a few hours after our launch....and just keep smiling and responding extremely politely, you must be made of stone or something.

I LOVE CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK, but I'm not into threats or blackmail or any of that sort of shit that has been in some of your responses. If you want to point out BUGS, that is absolutely fine but leave "threats" out of it, alright?

If we can all agree to that, I'm cool with that.

PS: I'm not stupid enough to think that people don't "leave" our site every day! But that's life. Some people leave, others come in but that doesn't mean that you all need to announce it to the world or make threats if we don't do things "your way". When I first started the site back in 1998, I was getting 100 people a week on the site and I was EXCITED like heck over that! Within a few years, it was 20,000 a day and that blew my mind. Recently we're closing in on 150,000 visitors each day, so no matter what some of you may think of me personally, or the new changes, we obviously did SOMETHING RIGHT as we have more and more devoted fans than we ever did. I don't dismiss our readers, I have responded to EVERY SINGLE EMAIL I have received since 1998, and have this forum open for a reason, so enough with the conscension crap and just try to be a little nicer when posting your bugs. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverload View Post
As some have pointed out, every other movie site is free as well. Though very few talk down to its fans like you do. Being "FREE" on the internet is a moot point and doesn't make a website special.

No one is shitting on your hard work. Everyone here praises this site's content, but right now some aren't too happy with the new layout.

You get way too offensive over anyone saying anything remotely negative about your site, even when it is constructive criticism. This isn't the only time you've acted in this manner either. Which is odd considering how much Joblo.com bashes filmmakers, actors, and other people who work just as hard if not harder than you do. Can dish it out but can't take it? If you want to be an ass to your fanbase then you'll do far more damage than a poorly designed layout ever will.
I love how you guys apparently have the right to "dish it out" but I don't? Like wow. Nice double-standard there.

Again, this forum is open for this sort of thing. My email address is there for a reason and I respond to everyone, but just because I disagree with YOU, doesn't make me a dick. It all depends on where you're standing in life.

I can tell you that many of our writers/programmers don't think too highly of many in this thread who threaten to abandon the site because of changes they don't like. That's their point of view.

I also have a point of view and I'm stating it here. Other webmasters or new corporate site give you a form to fill out and MAYBE one day, if someone feels like it, they will respond back to you, but generally they don't.

So even though we're giving you all this forum and listening to your feedback AND responding....now you're shitting more on me personally because you don't like "the way" I'm responding?

Wow, just wow.

I'm not gonna close this thread, but I don't like the tone of the last few posts in here and if all you're going to do is bust my balls over the fact that you don't appreciate the way I've reacted to some of the negative comments and threats in here, this thread will be closed and a new one will be opened called BUGS in which we'd ask members to post their BUGS because this is turning into a personal thing now, and that's not what this is about.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mut View Post
So, am I the only one who can't get the "bookmark this tab" thing to work? I click it ... and nothing. Dunno what I'm doing wrong, but if it's something simple, I'm gonna slap myself.

Browser's the latest Firefox, and popup blocker is off.
Thanks for this! I think you caught a bug. Will get fixed this week, thanks!
Old 06-24-2012, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBlo View Post
I've never heard of you, so maybe you should learn a little more about me, before mouthing off based on a couple of responses.
Seriously?

REST OF COMMENTS DELETED.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Seriously?
I'm DELETING your response because you're taking potshots at me personally again, which is NOT what this forum is about. If you don't like me or the site, please leave, but if you think I'm going to give you an open forum to be a prick toward me, that's not gonna happen.

Besides, you claim to be an "old timer" and yet you only joined the site in February of 2012 and 90% of your posts are in our SPORTS and TV forums. Doesn't sound like a true-blue JOBLO.COM fan or movie fanatic to me.

I'm not banning you just yet, but what you're doing is actually against our rules, and being a "grizzled ancient", I would assume you would have learned that rule by now. If you take another personal shot at me, you will be banned. Same goes for anyone else.

I think I made myself clear in a couple of other responses, but I'll re-iterate here: this thread is for CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK about the new look, including the BUGS that you're encountering.

If you're going to use this forum to make threats to leave or discuss how other sites are better than us or tell me I'm a condescending asshole, your comments will be deleted and if you're insulting, you will be banned.

Hopefully we all understand each other now.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:49 PM
Quote:

I'm not banning you just yet, but what you're doing is actually against our rules, and being a "grizzled ancient", I would assume you would have learned that rule by now. If you take another personal shot at me, you will be banned. Same goes for anyone else.

I think I made myself clear in a couple of other responses, but I'll re-iterate here: this thread is for CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK about the new look, including the BUGS that you're encountering.

If you're going to use this forum to make threats to leave or discuss how other sites are better than us or tell me I'm a condescending asshole, your comments will be deleted and if you're insulting, you will be banned.

Hopefully we all understand each other now.

Wow....just, wow. Ban me.

I don't even want to be a part of a site like this. "If you criticize me, I'll ban you."

Last edited by IEnjoyWatchingAndDiscussingMovies; 06-24-2012 at 09:48 PM..
Old 06-24-2012, 09:10 PM
Site's running much, much better now. Before all of the links and images were just everywhere in a disorderly fashion and blocking the site's signature banner and all of its links (such as to these very forums) but that issue has been resolved. I really don't have much of a problem with the site's new look now that all of these problems have been resolved. I still miss the Recent Stories bar on the lefthand side of the page and don't really see what the advantage was in getting rid of it, but perhaps that's a personal preference.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:35 PM
Well l think that the new site look looks good but like l said before you can not log into the site from there like you used too

I have to go to a members profile to do tlog on to the forum
Old 06-24-2012, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyWatchingAndDiscussingMovies View Post
Wow....just, wow. Ban me.

I don't even want to be a part of a site like this. "If you criticize me, I'll ban you."
Actually, it's IF YOU INSULT ANYONE OUR SITE (and that includes schmoe to schmoe insults), you are banned. It's been like that for 14 years, my friend. Next time you join a private site, make sure you READ their rules before pressing I AGREE.

I think that's a pretty simple rule to follow, but if you can't handle it, we will gladly ban you.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
Well l think that the new site look looks good but like l said before you can not log into the site from there like you used too

I have to go to a members profile to do tlog on to the forum
Yeah this is a BUG of which we are aware. Hopefully we'll have it resolved by week's end. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Wow. This has turned into quite the thread. And to put my humble little 2 cents worth in, I think that if anyone else here can do a better job than what Berge and his team have done over the years, I say, just give them the captains chair. All that Mr JoBlo and his crew ever wanted for this site and it's members was the best possible interactive movie site and forum experience. We all learn from making mistakes. Trial and error, and patience is what is required from alot of people. Running, maintaining, and updating a big site like MFC is a non-stop job for the management. When something is new, or being tested, or doesn't quite workout, rest assured that it's being rectified asap. That's why feedback, and stuff is so important. Screenshots are especially helpful. But anyways. All I got to say is-I love this site and it's accompanying forum. Always have, always will. There. That's enuff ass-kissing for now I think. Some people need to think before they start ranting about shit.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:14 AM
It would be nice if from the direct link www.joblo.com, there would be an option to log into the forums without linking to another part of the site.

I'm sure the above-mentioned issues in my last post are noted and will be resolved.

Hope you have a good day.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:31 AM
I've noticed that since the new site design, my laptop will freeze for momentary periods when I'm at the front page. I can be on random sites for hours and run it fine but once here, it has a problem. It's not to the point where I can't be on the main pages at all, but it is definitely effective. Now, I have never had any experience with site design and if you held a gun to my head and forced me to tell you 5 facts about it, you'd have to kill me. With that, I don't know how long the bugs being tested thing lasts. I know it's temporary but I'm just curious. Another thing is that I'm aware it could possibly just be my laptop but I don't know if anyone else is having the problem or it's just me.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:08 AM
One word.... Shite!!!!

Firstly I only usually check AITH. But at least I could easily scroll down the news with minimum effort. Now I have to go through page after page after...you get it right. Stop trying to improve the site and just focus on the content!!!
Old 06-25-2012, 06:41 AM
Joblo, if you don't mind, I'd like to offer some suggestions to the layout of the pages. Please don't take them as criticism, they are meant to further improve the website's flow and acessibility:

- In the main page ( www.joblo.com ), have some sort of title and sub-title/description in the looping slideshow: for example, this weekend's box-office article, named "Weekend Box-Office: Pixar gets their 13th straight #1 opening in a row". The gray title overlay is big enough to have a larger title and a smaller description. Instead of just:

something like this:

- The right column, "Movie News Headlines" and tabs, are so useful, it's a shame it's only on the main page - it could be in every page of the representative sections: in every page of Joblo Movie News, in every page of Horror Movies, in every page of hotties. If it was not understandable:

Put this:

Also in every page of:

It could be placed below the "connections" section, just in top of the "latest videos/trailers".
In my opinion, this option is better than the similar section at the left column, and near the end of the page, altough they can co-exist in the same page, without having too much redundancy.

- Move the "strikeback"/"droolback" section up, so it stays directly below the end of the article. I think it connects and relates better to the news itself, than the related artices section. Like this:

Old 06-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Quote:

But if you insist on seeing all of the NEWS HEADLINES in one shot....well, go to the main page (www.joblo.com), click on the JOBLO TAB on the right, bookmark it for yourself and you'll be able to see/click any of 30-35 of the latest JOBLO headlines without any clicking at all!
Quoting this so it doesn't get lost in the rest of the madness in this thread.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
Quoting this so it doesn't get lost in the rest of the madness in this thread.
Thanks for that!

You also have the 10 LATEST NEWS HEADLINES below each article, which we'll be updating soon to allow for 20 or 30 latest headlines, so it'll be even MORE than you all had with the "old look". Hopefully that helps some people who can't seem to deal with the changes as much as others.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:45 PM
Quote:
"3) The "ad issue" was another big BUG from day#1 that has since been resolved"
Still having issues with adds covering up the main banner and not being able to close em. I'm currently using Google Chrome v 19.0.1084.56 m If ya want to add that to the bug list/look into it
Old 06-25-2012, 04:30 PM
i dont want to talk crap to Jo, b/c the guy has a great site that I've enjoyed for years and years... but yeah, i dont seem to be getting used to the new look.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Common Sense Man View Post
I used to have a lot of trouble with the ads, but I use firefox and the adblock plus extension and wala ads gone.
Just an FYI...it's spelled "voila".
Old 06-25-2012, 06:53 PM
Site looks good, glad that ad issue has been resolved for me.

HOWEVER, why doesn't the "movie news headlines" bar found on the right side of the homepage follow you everywhere you go? I understand that the latest stories show up underneath the article you click, but having that bar on every page would be infinitely more convenient.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleG View Post
Still having issues with adds covering up the main banner and not being able to close em. I'm currently using Google Chrome v 19.0.1084.56 m If ya want to add that to the bug list/look into it
This is exactly what I came in here to say. Otherwise I dig the new look.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleG View Post
You've cleared your cache and it's still happening?
Old 06-26-2012, 02:35 PM
How to access news headlines on the NEW JoBlo.com!

For anyone who is disgruntled because of the "disappearance" of the left-hand column of NEWS HEADLINES, it's to note that it only showed about 15 headlines in that column before. You needed to CLICK to see more, which is the same here, only 10 headlines instead of 15. We realize this is a "change", but is it really that big of a deal? There are VARIOUS options now in terms of seeing the headlines...

1) Stick to the front page and you can see about 30 of the latest JOBLO headlines simply by choosing the JOBLO tab and bookmarking that. If you don't want to keep going back-and-forth, simply right-click on the news headline you want and OPEN in a new browser, if that's what bugs you.

2) You can see the 10 latest headlines (with images) when you land on the JOBLO news section. Click on "older stories" at the bottom, and you see 10 more, so you're seeing the 20 latest headlines with 1 click. Asking too much? That's basically a full day's worth of news.

3) At the top of each news section (JOBLO, AITH and MOVIEHOTTIES), there are now 8 FEATURE ITEMS which showcase "older news articles" usually from earlier in the day or the day before. When you combine that with the 10 stories you are already seeing on that page, you have access to 18 news articles on one page. That's MORE than before.

4) You also have the 10 LATEST HEADLINES below each article (with small thumbnailed images next to them). We may be adding an option here to allow you to choose to see the latest 20 or 30 headlines for those people who don't want to use our front page (this may be added by week's end), but we never had the "latest headlines" below the articles before, now we do.

5) You can simply click on the new PREVIOUS ARTICLE/NEXT ARTICLE below each article. Again, this wasn't there before.

6) In the right hand column, there are the MOST POPULAR news articles, which you can access immediately through any article. By day, week or month.

7) If you're searching for an article, enter the keywords in the SEARCH form above each section and you can find articles in the articles that way.

8) Below each article, there are now 5 RELATED STORIES (brand new) which provide you with more ways to find out more about the specific film and its related news.

Phew! I think that's it off the top of my head. Now while we do realize that "people don't like change" as a general theory, it's very important that you surf the new look so that you can get used to its new navigation, but I'm sure you'll all get used to it after a while. Give it a chance, is all we ask. The changes are actually not that dramatic and the majority of our readers have thankfully really appreciated the upgrade.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:00 AM
Good luck with this Joblo. Common sense says that this is just a grab at increased profit. Spin it however you like, sacraficing the comfort of "old timers" for the prospect of a technologic uprade that will produce projected profitabilty is a bold move seen countless times in this capitalist mess we live in. I will continue to frequent these forums, but the upgrade to the news page is too blatant a bowing of your neck to corporate America. I understand the necessity, and morn for morality. That mutual exclusiveness paradigm is a bitch.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Just a quick bug to report, although I'm sure you're still working on it... the Movie Headlines Box still does nothing when you bookmark the individual tabs. It doesn't matter what you bookmark or click on, all tabs are basically showing everything as if you clicked on "all". Running on Safari 4.0.5 Mac OS X
Old 06-28-2012, 06:04 PM
Neither thing I'm going to post about is a "bug," but there are two things I would like to say about the New Site Look (which is still the title of the Thread, so I find it appropriate).

First of all, wow. The site has really come around since I first posted on here. The renovated layout looks great and I love that www.joblo.com/ has become sort of a hub page for everything. I'm actually very happy with many of the changes now that many of the bugs have been sorted out. Major props for many of the updates and working out all of the fine details that have arisen since its debut.

Secondly, I wish that there was a little more promo for the forums. I know that just having been there I couldn't find a direct link for the forums anywhere but at the very bottom of the page, and it would be a shame to have others miss out on the forums because they weren't aware of them. (I know my way here, as I'm sure any other long-time Schmoe should.) Usually there's a Forum link up top on the banner, but I didn't see one today. Perhaps that was a bug or I just skimmed over it somehow, but all that I saw were Trending Topics. Just a suggestion in order to direct more traffic our way!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:22 PM
Well l have to agree with you there
There is not a direct link to the forum you have to go through other avenues to get to the forum
Old 06-29-2012, 10:26 PM
Quote:
Yeah this is a BUG of which we are aware. Hopefully we'll have it resolved by week's end. Thanks.

Well that bug is still here but l know it will take a while before this is sorted out

At least l can go through your profile Joblo to gain access to the forum at this moment
Old 06-30-2012, 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTyde View Post
Just a quick bug to report, although I'm sure you're still working on it... the Movie Headlines Box still does nothing when you bookmark the individual tabs. It doesn't matter what you bookmark or click on, all tabs are basically showing everything as if you clicked on "all". Running on Safari 4.0.5 Mac OS X
This should be working now.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:47 AM
Quote:
JoBlo, if we're in the wrong, you can explain things without sounding like a dickhole.
Actually, the KING DICKHOLE of movie site owners was Harry over at AICN. It was his attitude that drove me out of there and led me here (thankfully) many years ago.

I think I forget (as many do, it seems) how easy it is to jump into hypercritical assholeness when posting more or less anonymously on the internet.

So, Berge, please take my comments with that necessary grain of salt. I liked the old layout better, but will likely get used to whatever you do here. The JoBlo attitude is the real thing that keeps me coming back.

Drex

Last edited by drexxell; 07-03-2012 at 06:59 AM..
Old 07-03-2012, 10:40 PM
Geez l bet there is alot of members here who do not know how hard it is to layout a site

i was watching a freind who was a admin and there is alot of thigs you have to do to make things work proberly you can not expect everythnig to be up and running it takes time to do this

I like the way Joblo answers posts regarding what he is doing or fixing

There is not many admins who would keep there members updated on what is happening
Old 07-04-2012, 02:58 AM
I preferred the old lay out for movie hotties, as I found it easier to browse but apart from that I don't mind the lay out for else where
Old 07-04-2012, 10:19 PM
I have to say also say that l prefered the old layout

But l am getting used to the changes now

Last edited by Bondgirl; 07-05-2012 at 11:22 PM..
Old 07-09-2012, 09:58 AM
I'd like to put in my two cents regarding the new-look bashing that's been going on. There are few schmoes on this site that have have been coming to this website for as long and as often as I have. I'm going on 11 years on this site and while there have been several changes over the years - this latest one is hardly the first - the changes are hardly worth bitching about. You still get movie news, featured articles, and reviews (my one and only complaint is still that Joblo no longer reviews movies ). If you don't like the new way to get to the movie news, featured articles, and reviews, go someplace else. As a huge movie geek (and one who studies movies extensively), you're going to be hard pressed to find a better site than this one.

Get over yourselves and take a week or two to get used to the new look. It's really not that different.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
I'd like to put in my two cents regarding the new-look bashing that's been going on. There are few schmoes on this site that have have been coming to this website for as long and as often as I have. I'm going on 11 years on this site and while there have been several changes over the years - this latest one is hardly the first - the changes are hardly worth bitching about. You still get movie news, featured articles, and reviews (my one and only complaint is still that Joblo no longer reviews movies ). If you don't like the new way to get to the movie news, featured articles, and reviews, go someplace else. As a huge movie geek (and one who studies movies extensively), you're going to be hard pressed to find a better site than this one.

Get over yourselves and take a week or two to get used to the new look. It's really not that different.
Thanks buddy. That's nice to hear.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Hey Jo.. there is a possible minor glitch:

Whenever I am on the main page I have to log in to post on an article, no big deal... but for some reason that seems to make the forum not remember me when I come back and I have to re log in.

Not a major problem, cuz logging in isn't a huge deal.. but it is a minor glitch it seems and something I guess you should know about!

It has nothing to do with cookies, cuz I didnt clear my cookies from when I came from the main page to the forums, just seems that if you log in to one, it doesn't remember you on the other!