Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Horror Movie talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2012, 10:55 AM
Give me some underrated/under the radar horror recommendations

Just as the title says. I'm looking for horror films which aren't that thrown around when you think of horror. Lately I've ran out of horror films to watch so I'm looking for something a bit less popular, in other words not instantly on anyone's mind when you think horror.

Please don't recommend any of the classic films; The Thing, Exorcist, etc etc.

I'm looking for B-movies, underrated, unknown, foreign - maybe they're popular in the country they've originated from. Maybe they have a cult following.

I'm talking about something like The Hunted (1991) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102007/

certainly not a film everyone hears mentioned in "horror films to see" etc.

One thing I don't want - Troma films, and VHS Horror, or any of the "shock, for shock's sake" films that were made in the backyard or something akin to the aesthetic.

However, studio films, indie horror that's under the radar - I'll take.

Last edited by Digifruitella; 01-23-2012 at 10:57 AM..
Old 01-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Hey Digi! have you tried the movie called In Dreams? studio flick that is highly under rated....Stars Robert Downy Jr, Annette Benning, and Aiden Quinn.

A+ from me. Try it if you haven't seen it.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:14 PM
The Blind Dead series:

Tombs of the Blind Dead
Return of the Evil Dead
The Ghost Galleon
Night of the Seagulls

Spannish films that are far beyond badass and feature some of the the most awesome, if not THE most awesome undead ever on film, the fuckin Knghts Templar! Seriously, they rule.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:17 PM
Thanks Raven, and Hannibal - all of these you've mentioned, I've never heard. On my list now.

Keep them coming!
Old 01-28-2012, 07:09 AM
Here's another one that you may not have seen.....Kolobos.

It's a low budget movie, and one of my favorite movies.
It might be hard to find, but if you do, have fun.

The acting is kind of bad, but if you can swallow bad acting,
you should enjoy it..Just don't let the cover fool you into thinking
its a monster movie, cuz it's not.

Man, now I have to order another copy on amazon, because
I sold my copy because I needed the cash for smokes.....go figure. heh.

raven
Old 01-28-2012, 08:54 PM
I made a thread about what I consider three underrated horror series that never really were mainstream - Maniac Cop (three films), Sleepaway Camp (four films) and Phantasm (four films.)

The Hunted sounds interesting. I'm gonna check it out.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:40 PM
One of my favorite films is "Martyrs". It's a French film. It's not too well known, I've only came across a few people who have seen it. It's not so much a horror film, as it is a beautiful story with a some disturbing images. I really enjoyed it.

I also watched a film the other day called "The Shrine". It's an IFC film that's on Netflix. The acting was decent and the special effects were good. The story left me wanting to keep watching just to see what was going on the whole time.

If you watch them let me know what you think.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:55 PM
You've probably already seen it, but if not, check out Frailty. Not only one of my favorite horror/thrillers of all-time, but one of my favorites of all-time in general.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Here's a few I recommend:

Amsterdamned (1989) - Great Dutch serial killer movie taking place in Amsterdam

Thesis (1996) - Awesome Spanish movie directed by Alejandro Amenabar about a girl writing her college thesis about violence when she uncovers a snuff film in the process.

Nightwatch (1994) - Ole Bornedal's Danish original, not his 1997 remake starring Ewan McGregor, which admittedly isn't too bad either.

Also, this one I would say would say fall into the "classics" category, but nonetheless not enough people are familiar with it, so I figured I'd still toss it up here as well:

The Innocents (1961) - One of my favorite ghost stories of all-time
Old 02-18-2012, 07:49 PM
Amer, Iron Rose, Roman (Lucky McKee), The Baby's Room

Last edited by weezercoke; 02-18-2012 at 07:53 PM..
Old 04-01-2012, 06:13 AM
I have recommended this in another post and I'll do it here as well, I caught the low budget horror/thriller "ABSENTIA" a short time ago and it simply is one of the best little hidden gems I've ever come across. It was made on $70k but don't let the budget put you off, it is simply an amazing horror film.

It centers on a young woman whose husband disappered seven years earlier. She is pregnant and is finalising the process to have him declared legally dead. Her sister arrives in town to help her in the coming months when strange things start happening in and around the freeway underpass at the end of the street.

I cannot recommend this film highly enough, it is a superb story, well acted and directed and has an atmosphere of impending doom that is palpable. I liked it so much I've been chatting to the director via email in recent times, great bloke. He has been given some big dollars to make his next film and Absentia did well in some of the horror festivals from what I've heard. Check it out, you won't regret it.

I can also recommend a film called "KILL LIST" that I caught in recent times. Although it's dressed up as a ganster-type film it's a horror movie through and through.. you have to watch it to understand what I mean. It's gaining a cult-following very quickly.

Chris

Last edited by 1000; 04-01-2012 at 06:16 AM..
Old 06-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 View Post
I have recommended this in another post and I'll do it here as well, I caught the low budget horror/thriller "ABSENTIA" a short time ago and it simply is one of the best little hidden gems I've ever come across. It was made on $70k but don't let the budget put you off, it is simply an amazing horror film.

It centers on a young woman whose husband disappered seven years earlier. She is pregnant and is finalising the process to have him declared legally dead. Her sister arrives in town to help her in the coming months when strange things start happening in and around the freeway underpass at the end of the street.

I cannot recommend this film highly enough, it is a superb story, well acted and directed and has an atmosphere of impending doom that is palpable. I liked it so much I've been chatting to the director via email in recent times, great bloke. He has been given some big dollars to make his next film and Absentia did well in some of the horror festivals from what I've heard. Check it out, you won't regret it.

I can also recommend a film called "KILL LIST" that I caught in recent times. Although it's dressed up as a ganster-type film it's a horror movie through and through.. you have to watch it to understand what I mean. It's gaining a cult-following very quickly.

Chris

Right on about Absentia, Chris, it truly was an awesome movie!
Old 06-30-2012, 05:46 PM
Robert and me just had to rolllllll ourselves in here. In case you're wondering who Robert is he is the killer on the front of this poster. To top it off he's a mother fuckin tire!!!!

Old 07-01-2012, 03:00 AM
ABSENTIA
AFRAID OF THE DARK (1991)
AMUSEMENT
THE ECHO
FEAR OF THE DARK
GRANDMOTHER'S HOUSE
THE REFLECTING SKIN

Last edited by Antonio141; 07-01-2012 at 03:02 AM..