Old 07-03-2012, 09:37 AM
I don't want a spoiler but I do want to know if there was a after credit scene. Can someone help?
Old 07-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Only "secret" ending I got was in the trailer, and that was Connors in jail with what I think is Norman Osborn. If there was more, I didn't get one.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Saw the film last night. I really wanted to like it, but was VERY disappointed by the film. The story was too rushed, some of the dialogue was terrible, there was no emotional punch to it at all and it had no depth because of it. The action scenes were also way too fast for my liking.

I think this is the weakest Spider Man film and it does not reach the brilliance and detail that the original Spider Man trilogy had done. The original trilogy outdid everything that this movie TRIED to do better.

The only positives were Gwen Stacy and her father, and The Lizard. Everything else was just terrible. I was also hoping for a good extra scene at the end of the credits foreshadowing Norman Osborne, but it was way too short and didn't explain anything. If that was supposed to be Osborne in the cell with Connors, then I thought it was a shitty attempt. I'm glad that this Spider Man wasn't involved in The Avengers (and I hope isn't with future installments). This Spider Man just doesn't fit with Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Hawkeye, Black Widow, and Nick Fury.

They also said they were going for more of a grounded feeling (which is fine), but at most times it felt like it wasn't (i.e. He throws the football and dents the crossbar). I mean come on! That's not really a grounded type of scene. I also didn not like the fact how when he first got his powers he had no control over them. When he first fought it seemed as if it was all jerk reactions coming from his body. It was more fun watching Maguire's Parker/Spider-Man realizing his powers. I also did not like how Garfield's Parker acted shitty towards Uncle Ben and Aunty May in most of the scenes that he was in with them. Parker isn't somone who acts like a total douchbag towards his elders. Maguire's Spider-Man had alot of heart when interacting with his Uncle and Aunt and made it that more emotional in Maguire's version when he had to see him Uncle die in front of him and how it was his fault and his Uncle's death who made him into Spider Man and realize the great power and responsiblity he had and when he went through the difficult financial times with his Aunt in Spider Man 2 and also telling Aunt May the truth of what happened that night.

I am a huge, die hard Spider Man film and really wanted to like this, but I can't and the more I think about it, the more I stay with my choice. I just thought the film tried too hard to differentiate itself from the original trilogy and felt like a remake of the original Spider Man.....just with less depth.

Spider Man 2 still remains (and will always be) the best Spider Man film. That movie was just flawless and perfect. Spider Man 2 is also one of the best superhero films of all time (Top 5). Maguire was also the perfect Peter Parker/Spider-Man. Garfield doesn't even come close to the excellent portrayal that Maguire did with the character.

I'm just glad that we have The Dark Knight Rises coming up in a few weeks, so that it can get the bad taste out of my mouth left by this wretched film.

The original trilogy was just way better and far superior than anything in the Amazing Spider Man. The original trilogy had a lot of heart, beautiful action scenes, a director who paid attention to the little details, and a better leading Spider Man who made you care about him and the people around him.

Last edited by The_Soloist; 07-03-2012 at 11:02 AM..
Old 07-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellamorte dellamore View Post
Hmm, someone is claiming that ASM makes SM part 3 a good movie ,now i know i can't take him seriously . The rating is silly also 0/10 . I have to admit the post is funny but nonsensical .

I'm glad the people i normally trust with their opinions are the ones who are impressed with this film although i was convinced a long time ago, just gives me more confidence about it's quality
Same! The people who have been hating on it are just spewing hyperboles, yet the opinions of those who I actually trust line up exactly with my expectations and what I was hoping for from a film of this nature. Now, I've yet to see this film, so perhaps I'll walk out flipping everybody who attended the showing (including myself) for paying to support such a piece of crap, but I'm gonna play Rational Randy here and have an open mind to viewing this.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:13 PM
4/5

a solid comic book movie here. not as good as spidey 2. about the same as spidey 1. it's seem more personal then Raimi vision.

Last edited by athf1980; 07-03-2012 at 05:53 PM..
Old 07-03-2012, 01:21 PM
I had off work today so I was gonna check this out with my Dad but he talked me into helping him repair his fence....so I'm gonna try to go tomorrow. Looks like it made $7.5 million on midnight showings, not too bad at all for a Monday night...
Old 07-03-2012, 03:48 PM
I thought the movie had just as much emotion as Raimis. For example after he saves the kid and the dad is all appriciative and when Spider-man is wounded, dad gathers up his co-workers to aid Spider-man to get to Oscorp by aligning the cranes to give him a direct run. It reminded me of Sm1 when NY's were throwing stuff at Goblin so SM can save the kids and MJ as well as the Subway save in SM2, where the people are happy SM did all he could to stop the train from going over. I really liked that this dad took initiative to help SM. Things like that I felt gave emotion and life.

I didn't like how Uncle Ben died and preferred how he said Peter's name in SM1 to acknowledge that Uncle Ben knew Peter was there. Plus the guy robbing the store and having a loaded gun felt out of place. I mean i know it is the U.S., but it felt put there instead or a more serious thug to kill Ben.

For myself, I think it had more positive aspects that made me enjoy this movie. While certainly isn't flawless, no movie is, I did enjoy a more realistic take rather than the slightly hokey SM Raimi series. And yes, I re-watched the trilogy again last week in preps for this new movie. I still love SM 1 and 2 is still untouchable, however ASM imo did a great job as a reboot.

That's just my POV though, as a huge SM fan myself. Hell, it's WHY I gave the movie a chance.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:57 PM
I really, really dug this. Andrew and Emma are really terrific and have great chemistry, and I loved the film's tone and attitude. What I appreciated is that instead of just being the origin of Peter getting his powers, it was the origin of Peter going from an outcast teenager into a man and a hero. I thought it was thematically and emotionally quite engaging, and I felt very strongly for the characters. The action scenes are well shot and exciting, but it is the characters and their relationships that are at the core here. It's really just a solid coming of age film.

Last edited by SpikeDurden; 08-01-2012 at 08:50 PM..
Old 07-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobe8byrant View Post
So rant aside, what was so bad about this film?
Just... everything... The music was horrible. The acting was annoying and horrible from all except Emma Stone and partially Garfield (not that his acting was bad, he was just had an annoying take on Peter.) It had so many of the same plot beats as the first Raimi SM and it never packed as much of a punch. It never felt as genuine or intelligent. Everything seemed amateur and there was no grandeur. The directing sucked. It was stupid. It was just... bad. Everything felt flat. It just wasn't as tight as the first two SM's, way too many little things that just added up to making it suck so hard. The scene I hated the most was all the construction cranes (like there's a crane on the top of every building in New York...), when Peter doesn't shoot his web strong enough and almost dies only to be saved by the metal plank. It was just dumb. It had the same sort of sentiment as the original Raimi SM with the throwing of the trash on the Green Goblin, except way less realistic. I hated how seriously they took it, as if this was to be the realistic take on Spider-Man and Raimi's is a hokey tongue-in-cheek cartoonish take on the super hero when in actuality if you analyze it Raimi's is MORE REALISTIC. The thing that pissed me off the most was that it didn't deviate enough from the 2002 SM plot. From what I understand it was just made for money because Raimi didn't like the SM4 script and told Sony they have to write him a good script for him to direct and they were like... eh, that'll take too long let's just reboot it with one of the shitty origin tales we passed on for David Koepp's Spider-Man back in the late nineties. I would never sit through the entire film again. I just couldn't wait for it to end, and this is coming from a huge SM fan. I thought they totally missed the mark and I hope there's no sequel. I hope it flops. I hope they reboot it again. I hated Marc Webb's directing. I want Raimi back. I want SM4... like... seriously... I don't care how bad SM3 was, it at least had good style. Horrific script, but good style. This has neither. This was a piece of pure shiiiiiite.

Last edited by Abuckley89; 07-03-2012 at 11:44 PM..
Old 07-03-2012, 08:12 PM
After reading your 2 replies I don't think you actually saw the movie and decided to just troll this page.^^^^

I dont think it was Norman Osborn at the end after credit scene, Norman doesn't have the power to walk through walls or disappear. Plus the truth about how Spideys parents really died weren't they shield agents who got killed in a mission? Maybe they tying this into the next Avengers movie, which I would be totally down for now!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:31 PM
Wow... just... what an insanely disappointing movie.

The first hour of this movie is nearly verbatim the original Spider Man movie with subtle differences (i get it, an origin story, things will be rehashed... but my god, it was exactly the same and fairly uninteresting)

It wasnt terrible.. but it was VERY mediocre and corny in spots.. i thought the comedy in it sucked for the most part. Just a pretty mediocre, not needed, kind of boring movie.

Very Very Disappointed with this one.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DareDevil View Post
After reading your 2 replies I don't think you actually saw the movie and decided to just troll this page.^^^^

I dont think it was Norman Osborn at the end after credit scene, Norman doesn't have the power to walk through walls or disappear. Plus the truth about how Spideys parents really died weren't they shield agents who got killed in a mission? Maybe they tying this into the next Avengers movie, which I would be totally down for now!
Nah, I really saw it. Went to a midnight IMAX 3D screening. Just like SkyNet, I thought it was a piece of shit. I'm sure the more people see this the more hate for the movie will be revealed. God, I HATED this movie.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:46 PM
7/10 Being kind

I did my best to judge this film on its own merits and NOT based on anything that has come before or how I feel it would measure up to the past trilogy. Based on what hit the screen, this is one very mediocre effort. Yes, it has its moments and the groundwork has been laid for the possibility of better things to come but this origin film is as unremarkable as it gets. Itís not bad but itís just not memorable or superb in any way. I do believe the story would have been far better had they skipped the actual origin altogether. I found it strange that the first act dragged yet no one was really fleshed out or developed. Whatís the point then? If youíre going to try and gain emotional attachment to Ben and May then have them do SOMETHING or impart some wisdom. As a fan, I find it criminal that they didnít even use the famous ďWith great power comes great responsibilityĒ line. The villain is one dimensional and thereís not one action sequence that stands out. I even hated the forced ham-fisted sequences towards the end with the construction workers and police officers. On the positive side, Garfield was good and Emma Stone was great in the lead roles. They made you care about both characters enough to save the movie. As stated, maybe they can take off from here but I doubt thereís any large percentage of people that leaves the theatre after watching this one thatís very impressed or that canít wait to see whatís next. Interest? Maybe but thereís not much to be passionate about unless the viewer is a HUGE Emma Stone or Garfield fan.

Having said that and watching the movie as fairly as I could. NOW I can make the comparisons and frankly, this movie falls short of all three of Raimi's efforts.

Yes, even Spider-Man 3 is the better all around film. I've always said that SM3 is an overcrowded film but it certainly has its moments. Besides far better action sequences, SM3 has more emotional impact and truly stand out moments. Sure, it also has "stub your toe" moments but the good outweighs the bad. Amazing Spider-Man has many monotone moments with a bit of heart sprinkled in. Nothing seems deep or really hits home. Even Uncle Ben's demise falls terribly flat and it's almost glossed over. SM3 swung for the fences and served up some tasty treats and some sours ones as well. This movie feels phoned in and serves up vanilla everything.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:35 AM
Movie was only decent, but certainly makes me excited for future installments because I really liked the Garfield/Stone combination and am also interested in learning more about Peter's father, which is a subplot I'm not familiar with (I'm assuming it's made up for the movie, but with all the revisionist history that has gone on in Marvel over the last 5-10 years, I'm not so sure).

I also thought the way Spiderman used his powers, whether in the fights or not (the vibration part in the sewer I thought was brilliant) was much more creative than the stuff in the Raimi trilogy.

Better than Spiderman 3 (although a little closer than I would've liked), nowhere near as good as Spiderman 2, and probably a little worse than the original as a stand alone flick. But they laid a wonderful groundwork.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:34 AM
I think it was alright.

My belief is that people are either gonna love it or hate it. Very few in-betweeners (like myself).

My review.

6/10
Old 07-04-2012, 03:44 AM
"Mike Fleming and Nikki Finke have just confirmed that Sony Pictures decided today to reboot the Spider-Man franchise after franchise director Sam Raimi pulled out of Spider-Man 4 because he felt he couldn’t make its summer release date and keep the film’s creative integrity." (http://www.deadline.com/2010/01/urge...eboot-planned/)

So Sony basically admits they went for the release date over "creative integrity." It shows in the film. Total shitfest.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:21 AM
It seems that most reviews for this movie are of the "eh, you know.. it was.. ok, i guess... sure, whatever, not bad, not great... eh ok"!!

I just... you could have told everyone "hey, just watch the first hour of the original Spider Man, and then come see our movie"... then you shave an hour off the runtime of this movie and you get the EXACT same thing! That really annoyed me, i know again, it is an origin story, but there have to be creative ways to tell the same story. Then you get to the bad guy, and just, bad! Having him be able to talk when he was the Lizard was terribly stupid! (albeit, i dont read comic books, so perhaps that is how it was in the comics, regardless.. stupid!)

Then you have Lizard/ Connors in the sewers and he has that same thing that Green Goblin had in the 1st movie where he is talking to himself and hearing his voice as a third person?! Is that something that is distinctly Spider man with all of his villains? It was stupid.

then the script... although not as corny as I expected given the trailers, it was still pretty bad. The funny parts in the movie fell really flat. Not like Avengers where the funny was actually gut busting funny, these were just painful and annoying.

Plus, does Spider Man always take off his mask? All that little kid on the bridge has to do is describe to the cops the face he saw and there you go, everyone knows who Spider man is... plus he is so smart, yet he puts "Property of Peter Parker" on his spider web machine thingy?!

It was just a movie that needed to not exist. It wasn't good, it wasn't terrible.. it was just... there! Had it been the first attempt at a Spider man movie, then probably i would have really liked it a whole lot more, but on the heals of a barely ten year old franchise is ridiculous, and to put out what they did in that time frame is blatant and annoying.

also:

Spoiler:
Did Peter ever actually catch the dude that killed Uncle Ben???? He was after that guy hard core, and then what, he just stopped??? Did My boredom cause me to miss a plot point there??
Old 07-04-2012, 05:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
everyone knows who Spider man is... plus he is so smart, yet he puts "Property of Peter Parker" on his spider web machine thingy?!
Spoiler:
hmm. i thought it was just a camera with a flash? because the scene before, he saw the front page of a newspaper asking for proof of the Lizard. when they were fighting down in the sewer, the camera's flash kept going off taking photos. the flash at the end of the scene gets Lizzie's attention and he grabs it off the wall... and no, Spidey never finds the guy who shot Uncle Ben. at least that's what i remembered.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:33 AM
After Director Sam Raimi decided to walk away from Spider-Man after his 3 film deal,and actor Tobey Maguire decided to EMO dance away from
the role of Peter Parker / Spider-Man no one knew who would portray Spidey next or who would direct the next series of films.
Fortunately very capable people have ended up in Spider-Man's web.

The film begins on the right note establishing Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield) as a smart,shy,protective and inventive young man
Just about everyone is familiar with the story of Peter Parker / Spider-Man but some modern alterations are placed here and there
and actually add to the story.
The family story is stronger,the love story is stronger due to a strong cast Uncle Ben (Martin Sheen) and Aunt May (Sally Field)
and the great chemistry Garfield has with Emma Stone (Gwen Stacy).
Rhys Ifans does a great job as Dr. Curt Connors/The Lizard.There is a Jekyly and Hyde vibe to the character.
Haunted by the loss of his friend/colleague Richard Parker (Campbell Scott) but still receptive to his son Peter,
the character is torn between actually using the DNA-based cross-species genetic serum and leery of actually testing it on humans.I
fans portrays this inner turmoil quite well.
The film has some flashy cool and stylish visuals.Great action sequences the school showdown is the standout.
Director Marc Webb insures that none of the aforementioned takes away from the drama.He always brings us back to
the turmoil and love Peter has for his family,the relationship with his parents that was cut short,and Peter's developing relationship with Gwen.
There are some cheesy lines and moments,some ambiguous loose ends are a bit annoying.Fortunatley the negatives dont weigh the film
down which is quite fun and fresh,its kind of like polishing up a classic car.
I truly hope this series continues its going to be very interesting to see where the story goes.
Scale of 1-10 an 8Ĺ
Old 07-04-2012, 07:47 AM
Quote:
plus he is so smart, yet he puts "Property of Peter Parker" on his spider web machine thingy?![/SPOILER]
It's called a CAMERA. Do you know nothing about Spider-man? He does the SAME thing in Raimi's films too. Hangs his camera in a web to take photos.

Ok, enough mocking I'm just messing with ya.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:11 PM
The Amazing Spider-Man is a good movie.

After my initial geek out from watching the film i have relaxed to give my feedback.

I give the film a 7.5/10

The origins were good. They mixed afew thins up but they worked. Die hard fans didnt like the way the spider bite happened. And Uncle Ben never really says his classic quote "With great power comes great responsibility), but he says it in other words.

The action was cool. Spider-Man himself was extreamly acrobatic and it truly looked like spiderman was getting his superhero on. The trash talking needs a little work but the fact that its there is a big improvement to the Spider-Man Films.

The Peter-Gwen relationship seems real. Garfield and Stone have great chemistry. They really made it work.

The lizard was awesome. The look of lizard could have been better but it was ok. gwens Stacys father was pretty awesome and i think they set up going into a even more emotional aspect of the film about how everyone in Peters life he gets to close to him gets killed. They also laid the groudwork for a BIG scenario introducing his parents the way they did. Peter actually being a genius is a great thing also. Aunt May wasnt seen enough in my eyes and the last scene didnt give you a damn idea as to who it was except for maybe the lighting sounding before the appearance.

The fatc that the rat used to test the syrum at first mutated and connors mutated gives me a feeling they may mutate spiderman at some point and he may need help. Maybe. They left the possibility open to go a multitude of different directions. I think Peter took his mask off a little too much also. The films action and CGI looked good. I watched and felt Spidermans costume was way better then Raimis version also. It felt like the spiderman from the comics was on the screen fopr real.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Quote:
It seems that most reviews for this movie are of the "eh, you know.. it was.. ok, i guess... sure, whatever, not bad, not great... eh ok"!!

I just... you could have told everyone "hey, just watch the first hour of the original Spider Man, and then come see our movie"... then you shave an hour off the runtime of this movie and you get the EXACT same thing! That really annoyed me, i know again, it is an origin story, but there have to be creative ways to tell the same story. Then you get to the bad guy, and just, bad! Having him be able to talk when he was the Lizard was terribly stupid! (albeit, i dont read comic books, so perhaps that is how it was in the comics, regardless.. stupid!)

Then you have Lizard/ Connors in the sewers and he has that same thing that Green Goblin had in the 1st movie where he is talking to himself and hearing his voice as a third person?! Is that something that is distinctly Spider man with all of his villains? It was stupid.

then the script... although not as corny as I expected given the trailers, it was still pretty bad. The funny parts in the movie fell really flat. Not like Avengers where the funny was actually gut busting funny, these were just painful and annoying.

Plus, does Spider Man always take off his mask? All that little kid on the bridge has to do is describe to the cops the face he saw and there you go, everyone knows who Spider man is... plus he is so smart, yet he puts "Property of Peter Parker" on his spider web machine thingy?!

It was just a movie that needed to not exist. It wasn't good, it wasn't terrible.. it was just... there! Had it been the first attempt at a Spider man movie, then probably i would have really liked it a whole lot more, but on the heals of a barely ten year old franchise is ridiculous, and to put out what they did in that time frame is blatant and annoying.

also:

Spoiler:
Did Peter ever actually catch the dude that killed Uncle Ben???? He was after that guy hard core, and then what, he just stopped??? Did My boredom cause me to miss a plot point there??
Spoiler:

Remember all those really horribly cgi'd lizards? That was retarded. There aren't tropical lizards in New York City, and especially not in the sewage system. Maybe they escaped Pet Stores? And how could Conners get all that technology to work down in the fucking sewer? Super long extension chords? Maybe there was an outlet down there.... It was retardeddddd. And yeah... Peter basically gets Gwen Stacey's Dad murdered... Or maybe she doesn't care cause he died trying to save the city... But Peter did admit it was he who invented the Lizard... it was the little things that really made me hate this. AND THE CGI WAS HORRIBLE

Raimi's FTW.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Quote:

also:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I don't think he did. He still had his wanted poster in his room meaning he's still looking.

I so agree with that first act critique. There's no way I could sit and watch this movie again from the very beginning (and this from a guy who has lost count of how many times I've seen Avengers already) When I do see it again, it'll have to be from the fish dinner on out.

The mask and The Lizard didn't bother me beyond the fact that The Lizard/Conners was so very one dimensional.

It bothers me that every non-lead character is nothing but a poorly written set piece including Ben and May. Wasting Aunt May is criminal. Being Peter's moral compass is the heart of his legend. Being a kindly dimwit who's main purpose in the film is that she needs eggs is an insult. There was no wisdom from May and not even a consoling scene after Ben was lost.

Speaking of Ben, his death was handled terribly. Did Peter even feel guilty and should he? We see him blame the thief but does he blame himself? Maybe but it's not developed.
Spoiler:
Besides... the cashier was a douche over two pennies and the guy was just a petty thief who Pete didn't even know had a gun. What's to feel guilty about?

So many ham-fisted moments and so many forgettable action sequences really mutes enjoyment of this film IMO. Like I said, I like the cast and the future seems bright but they are starting pretty far down the later this time around in terms of thoughts of a franchise trilogy.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChar4321 View Post

Speaking of Ben, his death was handled terribly. Did Peter even feel guilty and should he? We see him blame the thief but does he blame himself? Maybe but it's not developed.
It certainly wasn't clear, and I didn't really mind that. I think Peter's motivations and relationships were VERY different from the Raimi stuff. He's not driven by guilt in this movie, and his relationship with Uncle Ben wasn't as established.

Certainly causes a lack of emotional connection with the audience, but again, I didn't mind, because otherwise it would've been too much like the Raimi origin.

And although I agree that May was somewhat wasted (especially given the talented actress portraying her) I really didn't want more Aunt May speeches. That "I believe there's a hero in all of us" speech in Spiderman 2 is the only thing that keeps it from being a 10 in my eyes. Just too corny.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodMagnus View Post
It's called a CAMERA. Do you know nothing about Spider-man? He does the SAME thing in Raimi's films too. Hangs his camera in a web to take photos.

Ok, enough mocking I'm just messing with ya.
Right on... well that 1 thing is cleared up! But the movie was still disappointing! (to me)!
Old 07-04-2012, 01:43 PM
I am watching this tonight. I am very excited. I saw the thing after the end credits already (I work at a movie theater). So it will be interesting to piece that together. Still don't know about Andre Garfield. Heard that he doesn't live up to what Tobey was as Spiderman.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:57 PM
That is another thing I didnt really like.. but I don't fault anyone for it, other than it is just the story that was told and really no other way to tell it, but I still didn't enjoy it:

The "Teen Romance" shit with Gwen Stacy and Parker... it felt a little too ABC Family! The romance in the original trilogy was really well done and not as cheesy.

But again, I know that this is a movie where the leads are in high school, and I guess that is the only way to have told that story, and hopefully in future installments that relationship will mature along with the rest of the stories.

Can anyone who is familiar with the Gwen Stacy/ Mary Jane thing clue me in on that? In that I mean, well, what is the history of these 2 characters, when does Gwen Stacy go away and Mary Jane come in? Are these characters from 2 different universes of the story? I am not a comic book guy, so please forgive my ignorance!
Old 07-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Right on... well that 1 thing is cleared up! But the movie was still disappointing! (to me)!
Ain't nothing wrong with that After all, it's just a movie. You either enjoyed it or you didn't.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:16 PM
I am still on the fence about seeing this movie...I think my curiosity will end up getting the best of me though and I'll end up forkin over the cash to see it
Old 07-04-2012, 03:18 PM
I enjoyed it alot more than I expected to. not as good as the first 2 but so much better than 3, really having a hard time believeing people think part 3 is better.

Andrew Garfield owns Toby Maguire and Emma Stone delivers my favourite performance so far this year.

The film's only real fault is that the first one only came out a decade ago.

Think future generations will be torn (originally wrote that as porn) between this and the first as the better origin film.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:32 PM
I had a few little nitpicks but those aside TASM was a pretty solid fun superhero movie. It didn't blow me away or anything but it kept me entertained for 2hrs and 16mins and it got me interested in seeing where they went with the sequels.

I'd probably rate it around a 7/10

One thing though

Spoiler:
Did anyone notice that Conner's/The Lizard's plan toward the end is very similar to what The Leader was planning on doing in The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes two parter Gamma World?
Old 07-04-2012, 04:22 PM
It was a good film, but I still liked the first two Raimi films better. Overall, this film does a lot of things better than the original (better Spidey, better love interest, show him making the suit, etc, etc), but it had a few cringe worthy moments in the second half that really lowered my enjoyment of the film. Which is a shame because the good stuff in this is pretty freaking "amazing". I really liked how they tied the origin of Spidey and the Lizard together in a way that made perfect sense (reminded me a lot of how they tied Batman with Ra's in Begins), and the scene when Spidey saves the kid from the flaming car may just be the best scene of super-heroism in any super-hero movie ever. But man, I just couldn't get over the latter lameness of the Lizard's plot and how he finds out Peter's secret...that really took me out of the movie. Seriously dude, why would you're smart enought to develop this suit and web, but still have your name on that?!

It is a very good film and I do recommend it, overall I would give it a 7/10. Ranking the series as a whole it would be SM2 (9/10), SM1 (8/10), ASM (7/10), and SM3 (5/10).
Old 07-04-2012, 04:34 PM
About the post credit scene...

Spoiler:
some people are saying it's Chameleon? Any possibility?
Old 07-04-2012, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1NSTR1PEZ View Post
About the post credit scene...

Spoiler:
some people are saying it's Chameleon? Any possibility?

Spoiler:
I know a lot of people are saying Norman Osborne. But I just thought the guy looked a bit too lanky to be Osborne. I'm leaning toward Miles Warren/The Jackal. The Chameleon is another good possibility though.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Can anyone who is familiar with the Gwen Stacy/ Mary Jane thing clue me in on that? In that I mean, well, what is the history of these 2 characters, when does Gwen Stacy go away and Mary Jane come in? Are these characters from 2 different universes of the story? I am not a comic book guy, so please forgive my ignorance!
Gwen Stacey was the original girlfriend. She came first, and a lot of the iconic silver age spiderman stories were with her. Remember the scene in the first Sam Raimi film were the Green Goblin forces Spiderman to choose between MJ and the school bus full of children? That was a Gwen Stacey story, and Raimi cut and pasted MJ. However, in the end, Gwen was brutally murdered, and because Marvel didn't have an "I got better" thing for non-powered superhero girlfriends (losing a loved one made the hero seem more "tragic" in those days) Gwen never really came back. Obviously, a new "significant other" was needed (or Spiderman might seem gay) so MJ was created. She is actually one of a multitude of women, some every other week, that Parker has been seeing, and he's often late to the appointment with the girl because he's busy saving New York as Spiderman. That, from my understanding, is the gist of it.

Keep this much in mind too, before you get too judgemental, Male superheroes having two "significant others" (and understand, MJ is the one who got Pete to walk down the isle, before the greatest of all Spiderman villians, Joe Quesada, retconned it. Damn you, Quesada, must you take away our last slice of innocense?) is a pretty common thing. Superman had Lois Lane and Lana Lang (although Lana is clearly the "option B", she still counts. DC created her because they needed a romantic interest for Superboy comics in the silver age when CK was still living in smallville. DC realized that you couldn't really have Lois in that scenario, because that would just be ridiculous. See, smallville, see what I did there?). Batman had the two mothers of his children, Talia Al Ghul and Selina Kyle, although if you ask me (and I'm in the minority here) I think Helena is way, way cooler than Damian will ever be. Then of course there's Kyle Rayner, who....never mind, it might offend female readers of this forum (okay, okay, just check out women in refridgerators.com and don't say I didn't warn you)
Old 07-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Just got back from seeing it. My favorite comic book movie ever!
Old 07-04-2012, 06:50 PM

Just got back from catching this in IMAX 3D...it was awesome. I had a great time with it...even like most have stated the origin story was all too familiar but nonetheless I enjoyed in immensely. Some of the night scenes among the skyscrapers was absolutely amazing...for now I'd probably give it an 8.5/10. Definitely on par with Spider-Man 2 as the best Spidey film to date, and definitely sets it up for what could be a heartbreaking sequel.

A minor complaint that I cringed at the moment I saw it was when Peter
Spoiler:
catches the football and throws it at the goalpost and bends it......eesh. Obviously a fooseball would pop before bending a metal pole

But other than that I had a great time at the movies...3D without a doubt helped the experience and in some moments completely had me awe-struck.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectRatio1986 View Post
Just got back from catching this in IMAX 3D...it was awesome. I had a great time with it...even like most have stated the origin story was all too familiar but nonetheless I enjoyed in immensely. Some of the night scenes among the skyscrapers was absolutely amazing...for now I'd probably give it an 8.5/10. Definitely on par with Spider-Man 2 as the best Spidey film to date, and definitely sets it up for what could be a heartbreaking sequel.

A minor complaint that I cringed at the moment I saw it was when Peter
Spoiler:
catches the football and throws it at the goalpost and bends it......eesh. Obviously a fooseball would pop before bending a metal pole

But other than that I had a great time at the movies...3D without a doubt helped the experience and in some moments completely had me awe-struck.
I had the same complaint. A loud bang would have been enough.

Anyway, I really felt like - once the lizard's plan becomes the problem - the movie started to fall flat. Honestly my favorite parts were when Peter (not Spider-Man) were swinging around, doing parkour and running from people.

The origin story worked in that he felt more like a real kid in real New York City. It wasnt some insane wrestling match he ran off to, he was just getting some air. And he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

And Emma Stone. Just god damn.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:14 PM
It was better than Spider-Man 3.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:08 PM
CROOOOOOOOOTCH!