Old 07-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Chris Rocks in Tweeting Trouble

http://todayentertainment.today.msnb...dence-day?lite

Quote:

Chris Rock draws fire for July 4 tweet about 'white peoples independence day'

By Gael Fashingbauer Cooper

While Americans were watching fireworks displays and enjoying barbecues, Chris Rock was stirring up some fireworks of his own with a controversial July 4 tweet.

"Happy white peoples independence day the slaves weren't free but I'm sure they enjoyed fireworks," Rock tweeted.

Reactions came fast and furious, with some fans telling the actor/comedian they were now swearing off his films for what they considered an unpatriotic comment.

Wrote David Burge, "Good one! I bet your Guatemalan house staff got a good chuckle."

And Jeff Schreiber, managing editor of libertarian-conservative blog America's Right, tweeted "Slavery existed for 2000yrs before America. We eradicated it in 100yrs. We now have a black POTUS. ‪#Go (expletive) Yourself." Schreiber later followed up with, "I'm not saying we're blameless for that horrid practice, but for @chrisrock to indict the US as he did is inappropriate at best."

Yet some jumped in on Rock's side. Actor Don Cheadle retweeted Rock's message with a simple "Haha," which put Cheadle on some Twitter user's enemies lists.

Cheadle later jumped into the Twitter fray, debating the comment with others. "Where exactly is the bigotry in that joke? Who is the victim? 18th century whites?" Cheadle wrote in a later tweet.

Actor Zach Braff also joined the fray, tweeting, "Slaves weren't freed for another 90 years. So maybe just enjoy some of the fireworks..."

Politics flew fast and furious, of course. Bradford Jones tweeted back at Rock and Braff, "u bashed July4th as "White peoples independence day." Know who gave u urs? Republicans. ur welcome."

Rock, however, didn't seem to be bothered. His next tweet was about a potential New York Knicks trade. But one reader found a connection even there. Lincolntf wrote to Rock, "White men trading black men amuses you these days, eh?"

My first thought is I wonder if he is going on tour or has a movie coming out soon.

My second thought is, "What a fucking asshole!"
It is clear he knows nothing about history. Black people or African Americans or whatever won't offend anyone fought in the Revolutionary War. They helped win their own freedom in that war and the Civil War. Slavery at the time had to be continued to join the states to form this union called the United States of America. There were free black people at that time and after, so not all black people were slaves in the United States.

Just to suggest that the 4th of July is just a white people holiday is just wrong. If the shoe were on the other foot that person would be killed in the press for it. I hope he has huge problems with this and is forced of apologize. You are not allowed to say what you want just because you are black. Fuck Chris Rock. Statements like this just do more harm to race relations than help.

Reckless Rock Reckless!
Old 07-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
You are not allowed to say what you want just because you are black.
No, you're allowed to say what you want because you're American. C'mon, you're normally more subtle than this.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
No, you're allowed to say what you want because you're American. C'mon, you're normally more subtle than this.
LOL OK he can say what he wants, but he should have shown better judgement for what he says. Being black does not give him a pass on insulting people, because it was about slavery. How's that? lol

Maybe Chris did not like the Django trailer??
Old 07-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Quote:
LOL OK he can say what he wants, but he should have shown better judgement for what he says. Being black does not give him a pass on insulting people, because it was about slavery. How's that? lol
That's much better, but I don't see what the big deal is either way. I see a lot of people complain about this country being too PC and too sensitive, where you have to walk on eggshells for fear of saying something that will offend somebody. But if you talk shit about America you're fucking scum who should have his career completely ruined by one comment. C'mon, what's all the fuss about?
Old 07-05-2012, 01:32 PM
The tweet was funny. The reactions... even funnier. Americans crack me up sometimes.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Statements like this just do more harm to race relations than help.
Bahahahahaha...
Old 07-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Both sides of the arguments are idiots. Chris Rock is an idiot because that's just a moronic statement to make in this day and age, and the people reacting to it getting mad at idiots because they can't make fun of themselves.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-dae-su View Post
Chris Rock is an idiot because that's just a moronic statement to make in this day and age.
Why?
Old 07-05-2012, 07:58 PM
What Chris Rock said wasn't an insult. It was the truth. And no black person fought in the Revolutionary War for their freedom. I love Zach Braff's response the best of all. So true.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:04 PM
People upset about his tweet seem to forget what it is Chris Rock does for a living.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:18 PM
^ So fucking true. Racist humor is his line of business. Let the man work? Can't a black man make a living in America in this day and age?
Old 07-05-2012, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magjournal View Post
People upset about his tweet seem to forget what it is Chris Rock does for a living.
Exactly. Rock is just clownin around.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Exactly. Rock is just clownin around.
Christ, I hope not...
Old 07-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Geez this type of thing gives me the shits

I can understand that quite a few years ago that african americans were treated badly and sometimes even today they can be treated diffrently to the white person

What Chris Rock said it wrong all he stirs up is hate and then we have the rasist commnets on both sides of black or white

Even in Australia there is racisal slurs and white australians are called names like white trash so l just wish people would stop this crap
Old 07-05-2012, 09:48 PM
I also think they should stop celebs having a tweeting account if they are going to cause trouble liike this

All they do is stir up there fans
Old 07-05-2012, 10:22 PM
What Rock said was true. Slaves were copious and, y'know, slaves (thus not free or independent) on July 4, 1776. They may or may not have enjoyed fireworks, that seems to be the only part up for valid debate.

The angry reactions to this are very, very dumb but predictable and amusing.

Quote:
I see a lot of people complain about this country being too PC and too sensitive, where you have to walk on eggshells for fear of saying something that will offend somebody. But if you talk shit about America you're fucking scum who should have his career completely ruined by one comment. C'mon, what's all the fuss about?
Bravo. It's worth making explicit that it's not just "a lot of people" but the exact same people who complain about America being "too PC" (code for "why can't I say nigger?") are the ones up in arms about Rock not being PC enough.

Last edited by QUENTIN; 07-05-2012 at 10:24 PM..
Old 07-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Well maybe America needs to have a certain day for black Americans to celebrate

In Australia we have Australia day and it is a day for all aussies
Old 07-06-2012, 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUENTIN View Post
Bravo. It's worth making explicit that it's not just "a lot of people" but the exact same people who complain about America being "too PC" (code for "why can't I say nigger?") are the ones up in arms about Rock not being PC enough.
The hypocrisy is frustrating. We need to decide if we want to embrace freedom of speech or just give it up entirely. It doesn't allow for the privilege of picking and choosing what we think is appropriate to say.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
Well maybe America needs to have a certain day for black Americans to celebrate
They have more than just 1 day. February is black history month.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
It's a month for Americans (mostly whites) to learn about black history. It isn't like blacks are celebrating every day February or whatever you are implying. It's a non-celebratory month. It's no different than breast cancer awareness month, except for the fact that white people don't complain that hangnails don't get a month of their own.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
It's a month for Americans (mostly whites) to learn about black history. It isn't like blacks are celebrating every day February or whatever you are implying. It's a non-celebratory month. It's no different than breast cancer awareness month, except for the fact that white people don't complain that hangnails don't get a month of their own.
I don't know man. Where I live, every day of February is like this:

And this:

The streets are packed with people dancing, carrying boom boxes, wearing Jordans, and they play chess in the middle of the street! They're obstructing traffic! It's terrible!

Last year was the worst. I was walking home, minding my own business when I bumped into somebody by accident. They became really upset about their shoes after I accidentally scuffed one. He yelled at me to kiss his converse. I ran away in a panic. I didn't know what he meant, but I was scared for my life. So yes, it is a celebratory month! And it's a dangerous one at that!
Old 07-06-2012, 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cop No. 633 View Post
I don't know man. Where I live, every day of February is like this:

And this:

The streets are packed with people dancing, carrying boom boxes, wearing Jordans, and they play chess in the middle of the street! They're obstructing traffic! It's terrible!

Last year was the worst. I was walking home, minding my own business when I bumped into somebody by accident. They became really upset about their shoes after I accidentally scuffed one. He yelled at me to kiss his converse. I ran away in a panic. I didn't know what he meant, but I was scared for my life. So yes, it is a celebratory month! And it's a dangerous one at that!
I am black and I have to say that is really offensive.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flimmaker1473 View Post
I am black and I have to say that is really offensive.
I'm not black but I totally get where you are coming from. When I was at Red Lobster, a waitress stepped on my shoes (which were a day old) and it bugged the hell out of me. It's disrespect in a lot of ways, but especially if the stepper doesn't even acknowledge it. I wouldn't go so far as making someone plea to me but just a "Oh sorry." would suffice. So yeah, you're not the only one here who's offended by that kind of action. I think Cop was probably being satirical, but still, people need to recognize that shoes are like any other clothes we buy. People would apologize for dirtying a shirt of pants of someone's but why not shoes? Getting pissed about having a pair of shoes scuffed isn't crazy. Scuffing shoes like it's no big thing, that's what's crazy!
Old 07-06-2012, 06:42 AM
Old 07-06-2012, 09:55 AM
Quote:
What Chris Rock said wasn't an insult. It was the truth. And no black person fought in the Revolutionary War for their freedom. I love Zach Braff's response the best of all. So true.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part2/2narr4.html

If you really are black, you should be ashamed you don't know this. Honestly, did you pay attention to anything that was taught during black history month?

Like in a previous silly post where you were insulted, I am insulted by what Rock said. If you are black, it does not matter if you were insulted or not. The remark is not directed at you. I agree he has the right to say what he wants, but he should get the same treatment for saying it. It is not totally unlike the several people who dare to call someone Hitler and get all kinds of PR problems.

The 4th of July is an American holiday. It is not a white peoples or black peoples or latin holiday. We have this issue from time to time if America is the greatest county in the world. I think it is. America is a collection of people from all over the world. That is one of the things that makes our country great. To say this is a white peoples holiday is insulting. It is insulting to all the white, black, latin, asia and whatever else people who died to make this country great.

In truth, more black people fought for the British.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:41 AM
I am also frustrated by nuance.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:46 AM
If you were offended by what Rock said, then for the love of God, don't ever read any Frederick Douglass...
Old 07-06-2012, 12:02 PM
1776 represents the birth of America the way 1620 represents the birth of religious freedom. That's to say, it doesn't.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
I am also frustrated by nuance.
Indeed.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:42 PM
And furthermore, WHY IS THERE NO WHITE HISTORY MONTH??
Old 07-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Quote:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part2/2narr4.html

If you really are black, you should be ashamed you don't know this. Honestly, did you pay attention to anything that was taught during black history month?

Like in a previous silly post where you were insulted, I am insulted by what Rock said. If you are black, it does not matter if you were insulted or not. The remark is not directed at you. I agree he has the right to say what he wants, but he should get the same treatment for saying it. It is not totally unlike the several people who dare to call someone Hitler and get all kinds of PR problems.

The 4th of July is an American holiday. It is not a white peoples or black peoples or latin holiday. We have this issue from time to time if America is the greatest county in the world. I think it is. America is a collection of people from all over the world. That is one of the things that makes our country great. To say this is a white peoples holiday is insulting. It is insulting to all the white, black, latin, asia and whatever else people who died to make this country great.

In truth, more black people fought for the British.
No offense but who cares if a white person is insulted? After years of obsession and slavery I think what he said was just fine.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid Vicious View Post
And furthermore, WHY IS THERE NO WHITE HISTORY MONTH??
It's white history month eight out of the 12 months of the year
Old 07-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Quote:
It was sarcasm.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post

Oh so is that onlly for schools to follow in the history for African Americans or is it a motnth that they celebrate thefreedom they got

i do think that African Americans should have a day celebated for them

it is the same for Aborigines they should ahve a cettain day they should be able to declare there day since they were in Australia before us white buggers arrived on ships

I was just reading a few posts above and l have to say that l never knew that there was a Black history month in Feb in America

How long has this been in law in America

geez l am getting a history lesson grins

Last edited by Bondgirl; 07-06-2012 at 09:32 PM..
Old 07-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Quote:
No offense but who cares if a white person is insulted? After years of obsession and slavery I think what he said was just fine.

I have to say this no one should be treated badly in life where ever a person comes from

The Aborigines were treated badly too in Australia

it took our primeminster at the time kevin Rudd to admit that the govermet was sorry for waht they did to our black people

I could give you a jhistory lesson on them too

So it was not only the African Americans who suffered there were Aborigines who were treated badly too
Old 07-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobe8byrant View Post
^ So fucking true. Racist humor is his line of business. Let the man work? Can't a black man make a living in America in this day and age?
Well in Australia we all compete against each other to gain a job these days

Whether we are black whate or any culture

But it is a interesting qestion do you think that it is easier to get a job these daysd if you are a black man or do you think it would be harder to get a job if you are competing with a white man
Old 07-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Quote:
Hold up a sec, so if it's White History Month for eight months, and Black History Month for one month, then who are we celebrating for the other three months? Hopefully not the Jews . . .

Spoiler:
I kid.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Well in my opinion we should be celebrating things as one nation not to the point where one is against the other

I know in America sometimes things still feel devived and the only way you stop that is working together

At the moment in Australia we are getting alot of immigration from alot of countrys it is good in a way but not in another

But when you talk about this alot of white aussies were against certain cultures who came to australia to ahve a new life

At first it was the Italians and greeks and then it was the asians and then at this moment it is Middleeastern people coming in by droves into Aus

So just like the Black africans there has always been didffrent cultural problems but in the end everyone will except each other in the end

Well you hope that in the coming years with Australia everyone gets along instead of causing mayhem and fighting

I would hate for Australia to be in the end up having a cival war on its door step
Old 07-07-2012, 04:26 AM
July is Lasagna Awareness Month

So if anyone says that lasagna isn't given respect, you remind them that we devote an entire month to lasagna.

Other subjects that are "celebrated" in February*:

National Sweet Potato Month
National Boost-Your-Self-Esteem Month
National Canned Food Month
National Hot Breakfast Month
National Snack Food Month
Berry Fresh in the Sunshine State Month
National Dental Month
Return Shopping Carts to the Supermarket Month
Chocolate Lover's Month
Bake for Family Fun Month
Great American Pies Month
North Carolina Sweet Potato Month
National Grapefruit Month
National Cherry Month
National Bird Feeding Month
American Heart Month
American History Month
Creative Romance Month
Human Relations Month

So basically, if you are black, American, a baker, a berry farmer, a person with good hygiene, you feed birds, you return shopping carts, you need a self-esteem boost, like sweet potatoes in or not in North Carolina, like to cosplay on dates, eat oatmeal, eat food from cans --- You have no right to complain about unfair treatment because you have 28 days devoted to you and you alone. 29 every four years!!!

*source
Old 07-07-2012, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
So it was not only the African Americans who suffered there were Aborigines who were treated badly too
Us whiteys could adapt and improvise. Give us most any dark hued folks and we could oppress 'em damn near into oblivion.