Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Video Games
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 02:34 AM
Do the next gen consoles need to look like "consoles?"

A recent thread posted leaked documents from Microsoft that were supposedly about their next system. In it was a mock up of the new system, and it pretty much looked like a nondescript DVD player, not a traditional console. So that raises the question:

Do consoles need to look like consoles anymore?

Should they continue to have unique designs that are instantly recognizable, or should they seamlessly vanish into out home theater systems as just another component?

I'm not sure were I stand, exactly. I mean, there's no real reason for them to look all goofy and shit, but at the same time I'd hate to see consoles look like bland, black boxes.

I actually really liked the faceplate idea from the Xbox 360, but apparently no one else did, so the idea of customizing the look of any new system is probably out of the question.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Regarding faceplates... I like them a lot as well. I guess they don't catch on simply because there's ultimately not that many XBox's out there compared to something like cell phones. I do think they're cool in concept at least.

Regarding the rest, I do like the idea of a system looking like a console and not just being black and slick, but that's probably where we're headed. There's not going to be to many consoles that are just consoles anymore and I feel like that'll be a big reason they'll lose visual personality.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:02 PM
It makes no real difference how it looks to me. I'm more concerned about things like how loud it is.

As to things like the face plates, meh. If you like them cool but my systems are usually tucked away from general sight so for me it would be a waste.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:37 PM
I care very, very little about how it looks. It's about performance and heat dissipation/noise.

If it's ugly, oh well... some will like what I think is "ugly" and vice/versa.

I don't care if it looks like the Wii. As long as it functions well.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:02 PM
They might as well not be a physical object at all. It could just be software you download to some type of a device (even certain TV's and such) and just buy peripherals for it. Or it could be some type of device you purchase and just download all the all the other crap to it as well. I mean, the technology exists and we're moving toward that type of thing anyway, so why not on the console platform as well?

Its done with movies, games on the PC and more. Theyre just doing one more cash grab on the next gen systems to make everyone buy all this extra crap 'til they can figure out how to milk the format I just described for everything its worth. Eventually itll end up that way anyway. Its inevitable.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:01 PM
It would be tough to have a plug-and-play device like you're suggesting that could work miraculously with everybody's TVs.
For now.
Ah, that would be a logistical nightmare.
Plus, something so small wouldn't be capable of presenting all that modern gaming systems (modern as in say, PC games can provide NOW - not a PS3 or XB360 which is ancient compared to today's standards) could provide.

Last edited by KcMsterpce; 07-06-2012 at 09:04 PM..
Old 07-06-2012, 09:57 PM
I myself enjoy eye candy, especially after spending $300+ on something, so yes, I would like it to stick out. But, at the same time, I care about reliability, hardware power, and a good gaming library. For instance, the Wii is a nice looking system that is made out of shiny plastic with a controller that feels like it'll break in my hand. The Xbox, the newer slim version, is beautiful and not as loud as its predecessor. The PS3, once again the slim model, is beautiful and feels like a sturdy piece of hardware. I want this continuation in the next generation of consoles. And, if anything, I would like the companies to take a hint from Apple and build something that looks beautiful, but is made primarily from recycled materials.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglorious View Post
They might as well not be a physical object at all. It could just be software you download to some type of a device (even certain TV's and such) and just buy peripherals for it. Or it could be some type of device you purchase and just download all the all the other crap to it as well. I mean, the technology exists and we're moving toward that type of thing anyway, so why not on the console platform as well?

The bandwidth isn't ready for that yet. I can drive to a store an hour away, buy a game, come back home and play it before a multi-gig download would finish. Current Xbox games are on DVDs (9 gigs), PS3 games are on Blu Ray (possibly 50 gigs), surely the next gen will start maxing out Blu Rays, and then factor in ISPs possibly imposing data-caps... that's just a lose-lose situation all around.

I still think we're a few generations from an all digital world.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:08 AM
The more it disappears into my setup, the better. I really don't like the wild-design ideas by electronic manufacturers like the Boxee Box. All-in-all, it's not going to stop or prompt me to buy something though. If I had my pick though, I prefer things to match up visually.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:35 PM
rumor: PlayStation 4/xbox720 could be unveiled in May

Sony (SNE) executive may have revealed the company’s upcoming plan to announce its highly anticipated PlayStation 4 console. Hiroshi Sakamoto, deputy senior general manager of Home Entertainment at Sony, said in an interview with Chilean news website Emol that the company could announce its next-generation gaming console in May. It had previously been speculated that both Sony and Microsoft (MSFT) would unveil their latest consoles at the Electronic Entertainment Expo in June. An earlier announcement would allow the PlayStation 4 to receive more press, however, rather than competing with the Xbox 720. Sakamoto said that an “announcement may be in [E3] or even earlier in May,” adding “in that time we expect to deliver great news, but we must wait until May at least.“
- http://news.yahoo.com/playstation-4-...212228070.html

original site(s): http://bgr.com/2013/01/14/playstatio...nt-may-291511/ , http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/01...efore-e3-2013/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Official word on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox 720 may only be months away. A Game Informer report (via Videogamer) states that Sony and Microsoft are planning "special Apple-style press conferences" to officially announce their next-generation systems "near the Game Developers Conference," which runs March 25-29 this year in San Francisco.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/ps4-xbo...-march-6402358

added concept image for the PS4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cbd47e50-8c33-40d7-8d84-c99f765c4a22.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	11219  

Last edited by Ruly2; 01-15-2013 at 03:57 PM..
Old 01-18-2013, 09:57 PM
Coming from an old school gamer, no they don't. I've been a console gamer since the late 80's when I received an NES for Christmas, I was just three years old at the time. I have not only seen the evolution of the home video game console, but I've experienced it. It used to be that a game console was just that, you played video games and nothing else. What we have now is an all-in-one home entertainment system. You're no longer limited to the content of a particular game, your world is now opened up to streaming movies, television, sporting events, music, and more. I think that the original designs for various console have a certain draw to a younger crowd, but as these console evolve, more and more adult consumers are buying these consoles for themselves.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:37 PM
See the future ???

there is an announcment coming on February 20th via PLAYSTATION MEETING

Last edited by Ruly2; 01-31-2013 at 07:14 PM..