#8041  
Old 06-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Box Office Guru:

1 Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted $ 60,350,000
2 Prometheus 50,000,000
3 Snow White and the Huntsman 23,021,000
4 Men in Black 3 13,500,000
5 The Avengers 10,809,000
6 The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel 3,235,000
7 Battleship 2,286,000
8 What to Expect When You're Expecting 2,710,000
9 The Dictator 2,150,000
10 Moonrise Kingdom 1,579,000


I am surprised by Prometheus's strong opening (more R rated movies please). Snow White held up well (just short of 100 million so far). Avengers might just touch 600 million when it's all said and done (571 million so far). And The Hunger Games just crossed 400 million.
Reply With Quote
  #8042  
Old 06-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Battleshit still at the top 10? WTF?
Reply With Quote
  #8043  
Old 06-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightAngel View Post
Battleshit still at the top 10? WTF?
Lack of options.

I was hoping Prometheus would take the top spot, but it's difficult for an R-rating to be a G-rating, especially when it's a family friendly franchise it's up against. Still, $50 million is respectable. I'll be watching it Thursday (hopefully).
Reply With Quote
  #8044  
Old 06-17-2012, 12:04 PM
Weekend Estimates

1. Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted- $35.5 million
2. Prometheus- $20.2 million
3. Rock of Ages- $15.1 million
4. Snow White and the Huntsman- $13.8 million
5. That's My Boy- $13 million
6. MIB 3- $10 million
7. The Avengers- $8.8 million
8. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel- $2.2 million
9. Moonrise Kingdom- $2.2 million
10. What to Expect When You're Expecting- $1.3 million

Pretty boring weekend. Poor numbers for Rock of Ages and That's My Boy, both of which should have easily hit mid-20s, even with bad reviews. Prometheus looks like it will make its budget back, but a sequel doesn't seem likely.
Reply With Quote
  #8045  
Old 06-30-2012, 03:22 PM
Friday Estimates

1. Ted- $20.2 million
2. Magic Mike- $19.4 million
3. Brave- $10.3 million
4. Tyler Perry's Madea's Witness Protection- $10.3 million
5. Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted- $3.6 million
6. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter- $1.8 million
7. People Like Us- $1.5 million
8. Moonrise Kingdom- $1.4 million
9. Prometheus- $1.3 million
10. Snow White and the Huntsman- $1.3 million

Huge for Ted and Magic Mike. I hope this means we get more movies from Seth MacFarlane.
Reply With Quote
  #8046  
Old 07-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Weekend Estimates

1. Ted- $54.1 million
2. Magic Mike- $39.2 million
3. Brave- $34 million
4. Tyler Perry's Madea's Witness Protection- $26.4 million
5. Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted- $11.8 million
6. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter- $6 million
7. Prometheus- $5 million
8. Moonrise Kingdom- $4.9 million
9. Snow White and the Huntsman- $4.4 million
10. People Like Us- $4.3 million

That's massive for Ted. I think it's going to have pretty damn good legs too. Almost even more impressive is Magic Mike, which had a budget of only $7 million. I don't know how well it will hold up though. It already had a big Friday-Saturday drop and I don't know how the WOM will be among women, given that from what I've heard it isn't exactly the movie portrayed in the previews.
Reply With Quote
  #8047  
Old 07-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Great news for Ted.

And jeez, Channing Tatum is having one hell of a year. Say what you want about him but he is putting butts in seats.

Opening weekends for his films so far

The Vow - 41 million opening weekend (went on to make 125 million domestically) and on a budget of 30 million.

21 Jump Street - 36 million opening weekend (went on to make 138 million domestically) and on a budget of 42 million

Magic Mike- 39 million opening weekend (on a budget of 7 million)

Congrats to him.
Reply With Quote
  #8048  
Old 07-04-2012, 04:41 PM
$35 million for Spidey on Tuesday, which is the biggest Tuesday opening of all-time, beating the original Transformers by $8 million. I don't think it will have the legs of that film due to TDKR, but it seems like it's on pace for $300+ million, which is decent given the complete lack of buzz for the movie.
Reply With Quote
  #8049  
Old 07-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Seems like it will cross 300 mil, more like is guaranteed too, even with TDKR on the horizon. It's going to clear 200 mil by the end of the weekend so it will easily breeze past the 300 mil mark . It's going to go above 400 mil domestic.

Don't know why people doubted it's box office apeal and i don't know where you are getting the lack of buzz angle, this thing has massive beehives running around, of course not as much as Batman but it's there . Early afternoon showing at the local theater on tuesday was sold out, nobody ever goes there before 12 but for this movie they did .

This just confirms what i already suspected, TDKR is going to hit the 700 mil mark, the signs are all there with all these comic book films making noise, it's going to be a monster. Forget about all the records, they never stand for long anyway anymore, Batman is going to break a good number of them but for now bwahahahahahaha to the people that thought that this latest version of SM had limited appeal, they got it right and people are responding
Reply With Quote
  #8050  
Old 07-08-2012, 01:40 AM
Looks like i got a little excited about that 35 mil opening, no way is it geting 200 mil by the end of the weekend . Ted is still going strong, held steady throughout the week , looks like 200 mil is a possibility by the end of it's run
Reply With Quote
  #8051  
Old 07-08-2012, 07:13 AM
I am happy Spider-man has made so much. I would love the franchise to continue under Webb.
Reply With Quote
  #8052  
Old 07-08-2012, 02:03 PM
Box Office Estimates for Weekend of July 6-8, 2012

1. The Amazing Spider-Man - 65 Million/140 Million 6 day opening
2. Ted - 32.593 Million/120.240 Million total
3. Brave - 20.162 Million/174.519 Million total
4. Savages - 16.162 Million
5. Magic Mike - 15.610 Million/72.797 Million total
6. Tyler Perry's Madea's Witness Protection - 10.2 Million/45.846 Million total
7. Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted - 7.7 Million/196.020 Million total
8. Katy Perry: Part of Me - 7.150 Million/10.250 Million 4 day opening
9. Moonrise Kingdom - 4.642 Million/26.893 Million total
10. To Rome With Love - 3.502 Million/5.621 Million total


Beasts of the Southern Wild had the highest average of the weekend with 19,000 per screen. It is at 745,000 now and should continue to grow in the coming weeks.

I'm very happy to see Spider-Man doing well. I hope this cast/creative team gets to continue making Spidey films. It's also great to see lower budget films like Ted and Magic Mike do well. It should prove to the studios that not every summer film has to have a 150 million dollar budget to make bank.
Reply With Quote
  #8053  
Old 07-08-2012, 02:30 PM
Ted is this year's Hangover, it's going to hang around awhile even with all the other competition .

SM did excellent, with the intro of a new cast and director i expect the hype to be bigger for the sequel .

That Beast movie looks like it will be a true breakout hit, it looks great, should make noise for the rest of the summer
Reply With Quote
  #8054  
Old 07-08-2012, 02:43 PM
That's actually quite good for Savages. I don't think many were predicting over $15 million and most were predicting $10 million or less.
Reply With Quote
  #8055  
Old 07-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Glad that Katy Perry's film slumped at #8 spot. Definitely it'll be out of the top 10 next weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #8056  
Old 07-08-2012, 07:56 PM
I still like Katy Perry's boobs, tho.
I think they're nice.
Reply With Quote
  #8057  
Old 07-08-2012, 08:28 PM
I think Spiderman is doing terrible and will drop like a rock and struggle to get $300.
Reply With Quote
  #8058  
Old 07-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Well the movies budget is reported at 90 millions......it already made 300 million world wide.

So u are so wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #8059  
Old 07-08-2012, 10:46 PM
^ Amazing Spider-Man's budget was only 90 million dollars?
I would've thought it would be alot more than that.
Reply With Quote
  #8060  
Old 07-08-2012, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuatroDiablos View Post
Well the movies budget is reported at 90 millions......it already made 300 million world wide.

So u are so wrong.
Actually, when the film was announced they were aiming for a budget of about $80 million. Now, though, the budget has widely been reported to be around $220 million.
Reply With Quote
  #8061  
Old 07-09-2012, 09:57 AM
Box office mojo says $230 mil

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=spiderman4.htm

I did not say profitable. It will make profit, but in the eye of the studio if it does not make at least $1 billion, it will be seen as a disappointment. After 6 days, it is the lowest Spiderman.
Reply With Quote
  #8062  
Old 07-09-2012, 10:17 AM
It's already made a profit. It's been out a week and has made $300+ million. It now has less than two weeks before The Dark Knight Rises opens. I don't know about $1 billion, but I think it'll still do pretty well worldwide.
Reply With Quote
  #8063  
Old 07-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
It's already made a profit. It's been out a week and has made $300+ million. It now has less than two weeks before The Dark Knight Rises opens. I don't know about $1 billion, but I think it'll still do pretty well worldwide.
come on man. you are smart enough to understand my point. the studio has a product and they believe they can make a certain profit. if it does not reach that profit, people are disappointed or get fired or changes are made. If Spiderman 3 made a billion or more, they would not have rebooted. You know damn well the studio is seeing Transformers 2 make $1.1 billion and Alice in Wonderland $1 billion and the last Pirates movie make $1 and thinking Spiderman should make at least that.
Reply With Quote
  #8064  
Old 07-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
come on man. you are smart enough to understand my point. the studio has a product and they believe they can make a certain profit. if it does not reach that profit, people are disappointed or get fired or changes are made. If Spiderman 3 made a billion or more, they would not have rebooted. You know damn well the studio is seeing Transformers 2 make $1.1 billion and Alice in Wonderland $1 billion and the last Pirates movie make $1 and thinking Spiderman should make at least that.
I definitely understand your point; I was just throwing my two cents in on the making a profit. The thing is they were planning on making a fourth Spider-man movie with Raimi and Maguire. Raimi got tired of Sony, the project fell apart, and they started over. I'm sure the studio is looking at those movies and thinking why not a new Spidey movie, but if they don't recognize that those movies didn't reboot a franchise 5 years after the previous entries ended then they really do need to fire some people.

But after the success of its opening few days, I've heard/read that a sequel to The Amazing Spider-man is already in the works.
Reply With Quote
  #8065  
Old 07-09-2012, 12:26 PM
A sequel is a given at this point and i'm glad.
Reply With Quote
  #8066  
Old 07-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
come on man. you are smart enough to understand my point. the studio has a product and they believe they can make a certain profit. if it does not reach that profit, people are disappointed or get fired or changes are made. If Spiderman 3 made a billion or more, they would not have rebooted. You know damn well the studio is seeing Transformers 2 make $1.1 billion and Alice in Wonderland $1 billion and the last Pirates movie make $1 and thinking Spiderman should make at least that.
What are you talking about?
They were on the way to making a fourth film with all of the original cast and crew but Raimi dropped out. From wiki:

"Sony Pictures announced in January 2010 that plans for Spider-Man 4 had been cancelled due to Raimi's withdrawal from the project. Raimi reportedly ended his participation due to his doubt that he could meet the planned May 6, 2011 release date while at the same time upholding the film creatively. Raimi purportedly went through four iterations of the script with different screenwriters and still "hated it".

See nothing to do with Money!
Reply With Quote
  #8067  
Old 07-09-2012, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flimmaker1473 View Post
See nothing to do with Money!
Well, I wouldn't completely agree with that. The 3rd Spider-man movie made over $800 million worldwide, just not Erroneous's magic number of a billion. $800 million is still a nice chunk of change.
Reply With Quote
  #8068  
Old 07-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flimmaker1473 View Post
What are you talking about?
They were on the way to making a fourth film with all of the original cast and crew but Raimi dropped out. From wiki:

"Sony Pictures announced in January 2010 that plans for Spider-Man 4 had been cancelled due to Raimi's withdrawal from the project. Raimi reportedly ended his participation due to his doubt that he could meet the planned May 6, 2011 release date while at the same time upholding the film creatively. Raimi purportedly went through four iterations of the script with different screenwriters and still "hated it".

See nothing to do with Money!
and i am yelling

"EVERYTHING IS MONEY, CHARLIE!" Name that movie????

Since you went to Wiki to learn I will fill you in a bit. Raimi quit, because Sony wanted to make Spiderman one way and it was not Raimi's way. Raimi did notmake Spidy 3 the way he wanted it to be. He was out way before he quit. He said so in interviews. Sony believes that they know better how to make a movie, so it would make more money. Decisions to make a sequel usually happens before the movie is even out. They test well and they green light stuff. Great opening weekends usually seal the deal.

And making a sequel has nothing to do with money and profits that I am speaking about. Wrath of the Titans made $302 million worldwide and cost $150 (not coutning marketing). The first one made almost $500 million and cost $125. Do you think the studio was happy? Fuck no! They made a profit, but they wanted to make at least another $500 mil. In their minds, they lost $200 mil. That is how Wall Street would look at it too. Time Warner is a publically traded company. I am sure there are lots of investors are mad that Titans did not make more.

Sony which is also publically traded. 7/2 opened at $14.12 a share. Right now as I type this it is at $13.42. That is 5%. That is a lot in 5 days. It is not all about Spiderman, but when expectations were for $200 mil plus in 6 days......... down, down, down
Reply With Quote
  #8069  
Old 07-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
Well, I wouldn't completely agree with that. The 3rd Spider-man movie made over $800 million worldwide, just not Erroneous's magic number of a billion. $800 million is still a nice chunk of change.
A billion worldwide is the new number. Any mega blockbuster making under that is disappointing. You can see the change in thinking of how to attack foreign openings this year. Many movies came out in the USA after many other countries. The USA is still the monster, but not what it was profit wise that it used to be.
Reply With Quote
  #8070  
Old 07-09-2012, 03:45 PM
My question is how did Spider-Man's budget balloon to over $200 million dollars from only $90 million?? I remember hearing like a year ago Sony wanted to cut the budget down to 90 - which I thought was pretty stupid from the get go because lets face it - this is Spider-Man, the market is going to be there. I can see if they wanted to cut back some on a reboot, but to have a set goal and then over double it? I wonder how the F that happened? Fucking Tobey originally signed a deal for Spidey 4 and 5 and was gonna make $50 million alone...then you set the budget for the entire reboot for $90 million. I was confused.
Reply With Quote
  #8071  
Old 07-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
and i am yelling

"EVERYTHING IS MONEY, CHARLIE!" Name that movie????

Since you went to Wiki to learn I will fill you in a bit. Raimi quit, because Sony wanted to make Spiderman one way and it was not Raimi's way. Raimi did notmake Spidy 3 the way he wanted it to be. He was out way before he quit. He said so in interviews. Sony believes that they know better how to make a movie, so it would make more money. Decisions to make a sequel usually happens before the movie is even out. They test well and they green light stuff. Great opening weekends usually seal the deal.

And making a sequel has nothing to do with money and profits that I am speaking about. Wrath of the Titans made $302 million worldwide and cost $150 (not coutning marketing). The first one made almost $500 million and cost $125. Do you think the studio was happy? Fuck no! They made a profit, but they wanted to make at least another $500 mil. In their minds, they lost $200 mil. That is how Wall Street would look at it too. Time Warner is a publically traded company. I am sure there are lots of investors are mad that Titans did not make more.

Sony which is also publically traded. 7/2 opened at $14.12 a share. Right now as I type this it is at $13.42. That is 5%. That is a lot in 5 days. It is not all about Spiderman, but when expectations were for $200 mil plus in 6 days......... down, down, down
You have to be joking.
Reply With Quote
  #8072  
Old 07-09-2012, 04:12 PM
A billion dollars is not the new standard of success, especially not for Spiderman, who hasn't had an entry in the franchise earn that much. A reboot of a franchise that disappointed fans with a mediocre 3rd entry and that has no major stars could never have been expected to make a billion dollars worldwide.

Is a simple profit enough? Heck no. I'm assuming they want a strong profit and good word of mouth to re-engage fans and get them excited about Spiderman again.
Reply With Quote
  #8073  
Old 07-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectRatio1986 View Post
My question is how did Spider-Man's budget balloon to over $200 million dollars from only $90 million?? I remember hearing like a year ago Sony wanted to cut the budget down to 90 - which I thought was pretty stupid from the get go because lets face it - this is Spider-Man, the market is going to be there. I can see if they wanted to cut back some on a reboot, but to have a set goal and then over double it? I wonder how the F that happened? Fucking Tobey originally signed a deal for Spidey 4 and 5 and was gonna make $50 million alone...then you set the budget for the entire reboot for $90 million. I was confused.

The First one was $139 in 2002. The rest are all over $200. What huge CGI movie costs under $100 mil these days???


Quote:
Originally Posted by Flimmaker1473 View Post
You have to be joking.

YOu have to be joking. To quote Hangover 2 Chow "Read a Book."


Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
A billion dollars is not the new standard of success, especially not for Spiderman, who hasn't had an entry in the franchise earn that much. A reboot of a franchise that disappointed fans with a mediocre 3rd entry and that has no major stars could never have been expected to make a billion dollars worldwide.

Is a simple profit enough? Heck no. I'm assuming they want a strong profit and good word of mouth to re-engage fans and get them excited about Spiderman again.
One question
Have you been in stock holder meetings when they talk about things like this? No, you have not. I have been a few times. Buy some stock and you can too! They absolutely talk about how much they think their "investments" will make in profit.

Disappointed fans with a mediocre 3rd entry????? To Quote Incredibles, "What are you talking about?" This is not about fans. I am talkign about money, profit, business. Spiderman 3 made $890 worldwide. The studio was happy. I don't care what fan thought.
Reply With Quote
  #8074  
Old 07-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
Disappointed fans with a mediocre 3rd entry????? To Quote Incredibles, "What are you talking about?" This is not about fans. I am talkign about money, profit, business. Spiderman 3 made $890 worldwide. The studio was happy. I don't care what fan thought.
Fan interest is what creates projections for future installments, period. Matrix Reloaded earned over $280 million domestically, but it wasn't well-received by fans. That's why the third installment didn't make a lot of money initially. Once word of mouth about it spread, it turned out to be a failure. If you think fan interest has nothing to do with profit, you're crazy.

So yes, the fact that the fans didn't like Spiderman 3 did not bode well for future installments. In fact, Spiderman 3's success can be largely attributed to Spiderman 2's. Spiderman 2 was great, every one loved it, so we were excited about Spiderman 3. That's why, of all the Spiderman movies, Spiderman 3 had the largest percentage of its gross during the first weekend. Once word of mouth spread about it, the money fell off. However, we were so amped for it before it came out, that it still managed to make a ton of money.

You're thinking short term. Realistically, this movie was not going to be huge, because there were no big name actors and there was a reduction in interest in the character. But now, hopefully, that interest is rekindled, and they might be on to something down the road.

Look at Batman Begins. It barely cracked $200 million in the US box office. It barely made more than Superman Returns. But it was a success, whereas Superman Returns was a failure, not because of how much money it made, but because of the intrigue generated for the franchise. Just look at Dark Knight. Stop thinking small picture. Financially speaking, this movie will be considered a success without making a billion dollars. If it spawns a massively profitable franchise, they win.
Reply With Quote
  #8075  
Old 07-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
The First one was $139 in 2002. The rest are all over $200. What huge CGI movie costs under $100 mil these days???
I'm perfectly aware of what films cost these days...hence why I was so confused that Sony tried to set the budget so low from the get go.
Reply With Quote
  #8076  
Old 07-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
Fan interest is what creates projections for future installments, period. Matrix Reloaded earned over $280 million domestically, but it wasn't well-received by fans. That's why the third installment didn't make a lot of money initially. Once word of mouth about it spread, it turned out to be a failure. If you think fan interest has nothing to do with profit, you're crazy.
I do not agree. How much fan interest is there in The Hobbit? 10 years later, we are still waiting. Fan interest is over rated. It is all about dollars. If anothert Pirates movies is made, it will not be made because of fan interest. It will be made because of money. Ice Age 20 will be made as long as there is profit.

Quote:
So yes, the fact that the fans didn't like Spiderman 3 did not bode well for future installments. In fact, Spiderman 3's success can be largely attributed to Spiderman 2's. Spiderman 2 was great, every one loved it, so we were excited about Spiderman 3. That's why, of all the Spiderman movies, Spiderman 3 had the largest percentage of its gross during the first weekend. Once word of mouth spread about it, the money fell off. However, we were so amped for it before it came out, that it still managed to make a ton of money.

You're thinking short term. Realistically, this movie was not going to be huge, because there were no big name actors and there was a reduction in interest in the character. But now, hopefully, that interest is rekindled, and they might be on to something down the road.

Look at Batman Begins. It barely cracked $200 million in the US box office. It barely made more than Superman Returns. But it was a success, whereas Superman Returns was a failure, not because of how much money it made, but because of the intrigue generated for the franchise. Just look at Dark Knight. Stop thinking small picture. Financially speaking, this movie will be considered a success without making a billion dollars. If it spawns a massively profitable franchise, they win.
Let me spell it out for you. In a shareholders meeting that was broadcast online with Sony. Someone asked how much are you expecting Spiderman to make worldwide. A Sony person said and I paraphrase, "With the success of The Avenger, Pirates of the Caribbean and other similar projects, we are expecting to see a billion dollar world wide gross." I hear it with my own ears. I am not pulling this number out of my ass. That is what they expect. Aything less is considered a disappointment and the stock lowers.

Batman Begin flew totally under the radar. Superman was hyped well beyond Batman and the expectations were higher. That is why it is considered a failure.

The world grosses have changed considerable in recent years with new markets being opened. What was great 5 years ago is not considered great now. Dark of the Moon; foreign grosses $771 million. China is $145 mil of that, which did not play most movies 5 years ago.

Battleship and MIB 3, success or failure?
Reply With Quote
  #8077  
Old 07-10-2012, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspectRatio1986 View Post
I'm perfectly aware of what films cost these days...hence why I was so confused that Sony tried to set the budget so low from the get go.
ok sorry man no offense
Reply With Quote
  #8078  
Old 07-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
Let me spell it out for you. In a shareholders meeting that was broadcast online with Sony. Someone asked how much are you expecting Spiderman to make worldwide. A Sony person said and I paraphrase, "With the success of The Avenger, Pirates of the Caribbean and other similar projects, we are expecting to see a billion dollar world wide gross." I hear it with my own ears. I am not pulling this number out of my ass. That is what they expect. Aything less is considered a disappointment and the stock lowers.
Well then the Sony person is an idiot, plain and simple. You can't compare the first installment of a rebooted franchise to something that built over 5 years like The Avengers. You can't compare a movie starring Andrew Garfield to an established Disney franchise starring Johnny Depp, arguably the biggest movie star in the world. Those are not reasonable comparisons.

I think more reasonable comparisons are other franchise reboots or initial installments. Batman Begins, Superman Returns, and even X-Men: First Class make more sense. Now, one of those was a huge success, not because of the profit it made, but because it reinvigorated a franchise for future success (Batman Begins). Batman Begins shows that a movie can be considered a success without necessarily making a ton of money right away because of what it means for the future.

Superman Returns was an utter failure, even though it actually made more money than Batman Begins worldwide. Why? Because it wasn't well receieved, so there was nothing to build upon.

The jury is still out on X-Men: First Class. It didn't make a ton of money, but, like Batman Begins, word of mouth was great and people seem to be interested in X-Men again. I think it'll be looked at as a success down the road because I expect this franchise to grow into something special, but only time will tell.

Since I know you from the sports forums, I'll make a sports comparison. The LA Clippers sucked for years but made some changes last offseason. Would it have been reasonable to expect a championship right away? No. But LA was excited about the Clippers for the first time in ages, and they took steps in the right direction. That's what Amazing Spiderman did. $1 billion is the equivalent of winning the championship. It's unreasonable to expect it right away. But people are excited about Spiderman for the first time in a while, and they can (and hopefully will) build on this.
Reply With Quote
  #8079  
Old 07-10-2012, 06:00 PM
I think there's an underlying logic here we aren't getting into the conversation yet.

When Erroneous talks about how happy the studio is/isn't by gross alone, a few things are neglected. I would mention the difference between a strong opening weekend and subsequent grosses since the system in the movie industry changes the amount of profit for the studios (the first weekend produces more percentage of the profit for studios than the second weekend gross, for example). But that could go either way. Beyond that - the viability of a franchise. The viability of a franchise goes through different checkpoints than sheer gross. You can look at every franchise starter and would-be franchise starter for evidence. I think Kenshin is really on the money for this one. Bad pun intended. Spider Man 3 and X-men 3 are best examples because they made a lot of money. The studio should have fast-tracked a direct sequel to each. The studio should have tried to extend each franchise with a fourth movie. Instead, they chose to reboot each franchise. It's possible this has to do with contract clauses in the cast and crew, except contractual obligations are no longer cut and paste 'three picture' deals the way they might have been in the blockbuster heyday. The studios could have continued these franchises had they wanted to, but they didn't. I'm not positive why they didn't, but I'm inclined to agree with Kenshin's conclusion.
Reply With Quote
  #8080  
Old 07-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
Well then the Sony person is an idiot, plain and simple. You can't compare the first installment of a rebooted franchise to something that built over 5 years like The Avengers. You can't compare a movie starring Andrew Garfield to an established Disney franchise starring Johnny Depp, arguably the biggest movie star in the world. Those are not reasonable comparisons..
.
LOL OK man. You win. The Sony executives conducting the shareholders meeting are all idiots. Multi billion dollar company run by idiots. You must be right. Afterall, you have much more experience than they do.

I can't say it, but there is a Tommy Boy quote that would fit in right here.

lol

Last edited by Erroneous; 07-11-2012 at 11:53 AM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump