Old 07-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FailSafe View Post
Inception?
Inception was better than the Dark Knight.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flimmaker1473 View Post
Inception was better than the Dark Knight.
Nope.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Inception was great but not better the Dark Knight.

I personally can't decide between The Dark Knight and Memento as to which one I think is Nolan's best movie. So I'm gonna cheat and call it a tie.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Inception?
Yeah, that's honestly curbed my anticipation for this a bit. Well, that and Breaking Bad is premiering the weekend before. I'll still see this of course.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:24 PM
The Dark Knight is a great film. But it is so overrated. The Prestige and Inception are Nolan's best films easily.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:34 PM
So a few thoughts. I was reading a very strange article on the interweb this afternoon. Its from the UK newspaper the guardian, but I like it because it summarizes some of what I'm seeing in the media re the dark knight rises:

Guardian article

Basically, there are a lot of questions in here that are asked about the movie. And its mostly political nonsense. Questions like "will TDKR beat the Avengers opening?" "Has Nolan passed his sell-by date?"

My reaction to that: who cares? What kind of mind would genuinely be concerned with such things? It reminds me of the few times that I watch the E! network, and every time I do, I'm reminded why I don't. What normal people think, find entertaining, and will pay to see is very different from what the cognesenti ask about. In some ways, I think mainstream Hollywood, and the reporters that cover it, missed the boat on the superhero genre, and are struggling to grasp why anyone would watch a film about a man in a cape who fights crime. Four years ago, nobody saw the Dark Knight coming, nobody. I remember reading Entertainment Weekly's list of the top summer movies (preview edition) for that summer, and TDK wasn't in the top five expected box offices, I think it was like number eight.

If TDKR performs as expected, a few months from now, two of the top four highest grossing films of all time will be the Avengers and TDKR. At least until Avengers 2 comes out, and, as JoeChar predicted, AvX (which will be the one that blows them all away). This genre isn't going anywhere. The same geeks who program websites for a living (which I do) and who messed with chemistry projects, and such when they were kids, are the same people who read superhero comics growing up. What did we all know, back in the day, that others are finding out now that superhero comics are "mainstream"?

Thing number one, there are a ton more good stories in the ether that haven't been touched on yet in the movie theatre. We haven't gotten a real Dark Phoenix Saga, complete with the Shi'ar Empire, the Mkron crystal, and the hellfire club. Its a classic of the genre for a reason. We also haven't gotten days of future past, while we're on the subject of x-men. I feel like Hollywood feels like such things are too out there for film, but that barrier fades with every out there superhero movie that's a hit. I could easily name twenty stories, ripe for addaption to film, that I'd like to see and that I think could do huge box office. Superheros are popular, not by any smoke and mirrors (which you could argue if it happened once or twice) but because the subject matter has been so carefully sheeparded over the decades. Comics are one of the few core mythologies of the American Experience that transend decades and generations.

Like I've said many times on this site, superhero comics are unique in that they've been beta-tested. The evolution of many of these characters has spawned generations: something was tried, it either worked, in which case it was kept, or it didn't, in which case it was cast aside, and something else was tried. Sometimes, the process went backwards, something was tried, it didn't work, and it was kept over something that did, in which case reader reaction quickly asked that the what worked be brought back. Books that ignored this response were cancelled, concepts that simply weren't strong enough to support their own titles were placed into editorial limbo (its one of the reasons why I'm both excited and skeptical about Marvel's plans for a Guardians of the Galaxy movie, that concept hasn't really been able to hold a book).

This process is what makes comics strong. New creators are brought in periodically to inject life into the medium, as old creators move on to other gigs. The sagas continue, though, and new ways of looking at old things are invented, or old ways of looking at new things are rediscovered. As a fan, that's the joy, for me, and I'm very happy that this job isn't a niche market anymore. I'm happy that other people can be entertained by the same stuff. While I am very interested in how TKDR does, its more out of a reflection that I want this train to keep rolling. I want the idea of making some of the other classics of the genre into feature films to become more palatable. I want a Winter Soldier movie, a real dark phoenix saga, a take on Batman HUSH, and a film version of Blackest Night. More than that, I want the leverage to not only make these films, but to make them with a right creative people at the helm, who have real ideas on how to do this right, and not just because the studios see an easy buck. That's what will keep this train rolling.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cop No. 633 View Post
Yeah, that's honestly curbed my anticipation for this a bit. Well, that and Breaking Bad is premiering the weekend before. I'll still see this of course.
I didn't love The Dark Knight, but I thought Inception was pretty much awful, so I agree. Can't freaking wait for Breaking Bad, though. Season premiere has me more hyped than any movie coming out this year, without a doubt.

And there is no way that The Dark Knight Rises will beat either The Avengers or (especially) Avatar/Titanic. Lack of 3D is going to be a big part of that, but also, this just isn't the type of film that brings out all demographics. I expect it to be the second highest-grossing film of the year, after The Avengers (or maybe even third, after The Hobbit).
Old 07-09-2012, 07:49 PM
Quote:
For people who are going to see the whole trilogy opening night at AMC theaters here is how it is going down.

Starts at 6pm with Batman Begins. There is a 25 minute break before The Dark Knight Then a 45 minute break before The Dark Knight Rises. Tickets are 25 dollars for 2D. $40 for Imax.
I have tickets to attend the marathon screening at AMC theaters myself, so it's good to know that there will be a couple of breaks! I (and everyone else) will definitely need breaks to use the restroom and buy more snacks/drinks. It's 8 hours of Batman after all! It's going to be a LONG day, but I'm up for the challenge! Haha!

Strider
Old 07-09-2012, 07:56 PM
Quote:
And there is no way that The Dark Knight Rises will beat either The Avengers
I wouldn't be so sure. I'm not saying it will happen, but to say it for sure won't happen is ridiculous. Tracking right now is way above what The Avengers was tracking at this point before its release. 3D is a factor, but I think attendance will be higher for TDKR.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
I wouldn't be so sure. I'm not saying it will happen, but to say it for sure won't happen is ridiculous. Tracking right now is way above what The Avengers was tracking at this point before its release. 3D is a factor, but I think attendance will be higher for TDKR.
Agreed. There are gonna be a TON of repeat viewings for this film which are definitely gonna add up(esp the IMAX viewings).
Old 07-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Agreed. There are gonna be a TON of repeat viewings for this film which are definitely gonna add up(esp the IMAX viewings).
For sure. Not to mention it has the advantage of elevated weekday numbers due to the July release. The Avengers' first Monday was $18 million. TDKR will be looking at $25-30 million. Even if it opens $10-30 million less than The Avengers, it will make up for it with its weekday numbers. It also has next to no competition. Bourne and to a lesser extent Recall might put up decent numbers, but they aren't huge threats.

It will ultimately come down to the quality of the film though. If it's as good or better than TDK (which is what I've been hearing), it should easily finish with $600+ million.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:39 PM
Insomnia is his weakest movie....but it still far better than most other movies of the same kind. Inception is amazing , I do not understand how anyone would think its bad.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:16 PM
At this point, I think Nolan is incapable of making a bad and/or disappointing film. His filmography ranges from really good to great to fucking phenomenal. I would agree that Insomnia is his weakest film, but I still think it's a very good, well-acted, and criminally underrated thriller.

Considering all the overwhelming hype and uber-excitement surrounding the film, will TDKR be a massive disappointment? Perhaps...but I doubt it. We'll find out soon enough.

On another note: I predict TDKR will beat The Avengers at the box-office.

Strider

Last edited by Strider; 07-09-2012 at 11:19 PM..
Old 07-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Insomnia is one of my favorites of Nolan's. I'd say Following is his weakest movie. Followed by Inception, even though I still LOVE Inception.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
I'd say Following is his weakest movie.
I would rank Following over Insomnia, if only because it's such an impressive and promising directorial debut and a great neo-noir. And it barely runs over an hour long! I hope Criterion re-releases Following as part of their collection in the near future.

Strider
Old 07-09-2012, 11:44 PM
I feel smarter after watching an interview with him.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:12 AM
It could beat Avengers if it's good. A lot of people saw Avengers multiple times. The other thing it has going for it is IMAX exclusivity. I tried to see Avengers in IMAX 2 weeks after it came out and couldn't find it because of MIB 3. I don't think anything will be pushing TDKR out of IMAX any time soon.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:15 AM
I like The Avengers but I would hardly call it a great movie. I actually liked The Amazing Spider-Man more than The Avengers. And I have no doubt that The Dark Knight Rises will be the king of summer, maybe even of the year. I mean, it'll have tough competition with The Hobbit, Skyfall and several of the other movies coming out later in the year (Spielberg's long awaited Lincoln biopic, Les Miserables, The Great Gatsby, Flight, etc). But I would say it's probably going to be between The Dark Knight Rises and The Hobbit as king of the year.

So, in other words, I'm definitely rooting for it to beat The Avengers. I'm rooting for it to beat Avatar since it would be nice to have a great movie as the highest grossing movie of all time.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:37 AM
The Avengers has set the standard for super hero films with it's action and subtle depth. I would rank the best super hero films as this

The Avengers
Spider Man 2
The Dark Knight
Iron Man
Spider Man
Old 07-10-2012, 06:28 AM
Quote:
The Avengers has set the standard for super hero films with it's action and subtle depth. I would rank the best super hero films as this
We'll see how well it influences other superhero movies, or movies in general, over the next few years like The Dark Knight has.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:50 AM
Quote:

The Avengers
Spider Man 2
The Dark Knight
Iron Man
Spider Man

Sorry dude ...but the Bar was set so High by TDK that the only movie that can pass it is TDKR , the Avenegers is a fucn popcorn flick ...but it has 0 Depth.

Last edited by CuatroDiablos; 07-10-2012 at 08:06 AM..
Old 07-10-2012, 08:57 AM
I am glad I'm not the only one. I was bored watching the Avengers. It was passable entertainment but where was the conflict? Ughh...
Old 07-10-2012, 09:39 AM
I realize that The Dark Knight and The Avengers are the two most successful comic book movies out there, but the mere fact that they're comic book adaptations is about as far as the similarities go.

The Avengers is an action-packed popcorn movie about several superheroes who've joined forces to save the Earth. The Dark Knight is more of a drama with plenty of symbolism,some action, about one superhero trying to save a city.

The villain in the Avengers was the villain in Thor who's bent on enslaving mankind. The villain in TDK is a psychopath with unknown origins who's sole purpose is to bring chaos to Gotham and to take down the city's "savior," Harvey Dent.

I can't really say that The Avengers brought anything new to comic book movies; it had fun characters, good story, great action, and was well put together. So was Spider-man 2 and Iron Man. TDK was much darker than your usual comic book movie - hell, they killed off the love interest. The movie brought more symbolism and psychology than any other comic book movie I can remember.

Some people prefer the fun popcorn movie . . . I'm thinking Flimmaker falls into this group. Others prefer the darker symbolic movie . . . which I would probably go. I love both movies . . . but they're worlds apart as far as comparisons go.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
Some people prefer the fun popcorn movie . . . I'm thinking Flimmaker falls into this group. Others prefer the darker symbolic movie . . . which I would probably go. I love both movies . . . but they're worlds apart as far as comparisons go.
I'm not gonna get into this debate in this thread, as it could venture off topic, but I think the point you touched on might be the reason TDKR won't beat Avengers in the box office.

Foreign audiences seem to LOVE the popcorn movies. Dark Knight had a surprisingly modest foreign box office. And I'm not just comparing it to newer movies with a different approach to to the foreign box office.

I can see TDKR making over $600 million domestically, but I'm not sure a movie like that will match what Avengers did overseas. It has absolutely 0% chance of catching either Cameron movie worldwide.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Quote:
What the hell is the supposed to mean? I can't like both?
Old 07-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Quote:
What the hell is the supposed to mean? I can't like both?
I didn't say that. I said you preferred The Avengers (fun popcorn movie) over TDK (darker toned movie). You said TDK was overrated and you listed The Avengers #1 and TDK #3 on a list of the best super hero movies. I never said you didn't like it, I was simply stating that some prefer one over the other.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Quote:
I didn't say that. I said you preferred The Avengers (fun popcorn movie) over TDK (darker toned movie). You said TDK was overrated and you listed The Avengers #1 and TDK #3 on a list of the best super hero movies. I never said you didn't like it, I was simply stating that some prefer one over the other.
How do you know I prefer popcorn movies to darker films? That is rather presumptuous of you.

And the Avengers is deeper than most people give it credit for because they were too busy being ooed. There are morals in the story about using your intelligence to win a war rather than fighting, and banding together when you really have to.

And yes TDK is overrated. People act like it is the greatest film of all time. Not the greatest super hero film, but the greatest film period.
You single me out on purpose so don't insult my intelligence.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Quote:
How do you know I prefer popcorn movies to darker films? That is rather presumptuous of you.
Wow . . . you really do enjoy picking arguments with people, don't you?

You're right, that's a bit presumptuous of me. It was an observation . . . judging by the Avengers and Spider-man 2 listings on your super heroes list. Now you can continue to try to pick a fight with me, you can say whether I'm wrong or right in my observation, or you can continue to prove my observation by posting stuff like this:

Quote:
And the Avengers is deeper than most people give it credit for because they were too busy being ooed. There are morals in the story about using your intelligence to win a war rather than fighting, and banding together when you really have to.

And yes TDK is overrated. People act like it is the greatest film of all time. Not the greatest super hero film, but the greatest film period.
You single me out on purpose so don't insult my intelligence.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Wow . . . you really do enjoy picking arguments with people, don't you?

You're right, that's a bit presumptuous of me. It was an observation . . . judging by the Avengers and Spider-man 2 listings on your super heroes list. Now you can continue to try to pick a fight with me, you can say whether I'm wrong or right in my observation, or you can continue to prove my observation by posting stuff like this:
I am calling them like I see it.

I am a Marvel fan and Batman is the only DC Comics character that I have ever truly cared about. But you didn't ask that.

You seem like one of those members that needs to shut their face (thank you Clint Eastwood) and get the fuck off their high horse.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Quote:
I am a Marvel fan and Batman is the only DC Comics character that I have ever truly cared about. But you didn't ask that.
Excuse me.

Quote:
You seem like one of those members that needs to shut their face (thank you Clint Eastwood) and get the fuck off their high horse.
I will as soon as you get off yours. Plus, I was never really that much into horseback riding.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Quote:
I will as soon as you get off yours. Plus, I was never really that much into horseback riding.
Well about your a dick then who doesn't ride horses?

That is the issue with forums. There will always be self righteous members.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:11 PM
COOOOMMBOOOOO BREEAKEER!!!

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=34498

TDKR entire sountrack.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Quote:

I think maybe it's possible to have a more civil disagreement before people start calling people "dicks" and stuff.

But that's just me.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuatroDiablos View Post
COOOOMMBOOOOO BREEAKEER!!!

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=34498

TDKR entire sountrack.
Sounding crazy... many highlights so far but I love Gotham's Reckoning, Imagine the Fire and Why do We Fall... May I Cut in also has a great theme.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Quote:
It's usually not an issue on here, except for those schmoes who have 249 posts within their first month after registering.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
It's usually not an issue on here, except for those schmoes who have 249 posts within their first month after registering.
Now that is a personal shot.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Quote:

Hey truth hurts.

Well it was nice knowing you. Good luck on imdb discussing your personal preferences on The Avengers and TDk.

I'm kinda sad I didn't get to see how defensive you'd get over LOTR vs. Harry Potter.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Hey truth hurts.

Well it was nice knowing you. Good luck on imdb discussing your personal preferences on The Avengers and TDk.

I am not a member of IMDB. There are worse members than you on there by what I have seen in lists. You are proving me right in my your a dick comment. Because you are.

Quote:
I'm kinda sad I didn't get to see how defensive you'd get over LOTR vs. Harry Potter.
What are you talking about?
Old 07-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Quote:

That's not all they have.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:47 PM
Quote:
What are you talking about?

I'm reporting you for your attack on me.