Old 07-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Morgan Freeman is blind

http://entertainment.msnbc.msn.com/_...president?lite

Quote:
Morgan Freeman: Obama not 'first black president'

By Tina Daunt, The Hollywood Reporter

Since he burst on the national political scene, Barack Obama has faced questions about everything from his place of birth to his college transcripts -- but his race?

Oddly, apparent doubts about the president’s racial identification now are being raised not by his critics but by one of his strongest supporters: Academy Award-winning actor Morgan Freeman. He told a surprised NPR interviewer last week that the United States has yet to see its "first black president."

Freeman was trying to make a point that some people oppose Obama because of his race, when in fact, the actor argued, Obama is "mixed race" and not African-American.

"First thing that always pops into my head regarding our president,” he said “is that all of the people who are setting up this [racial] barrier for him ... they just conveniently forget that Barack had a mama, and she was white -- very white American, Kansas, middle of America. There was no argument about who he is or what he is. America's first black president hasn't arisen yet. He's not America's first black president, he's America's first mixed-race president."

Traditionally, Americans of mixed racial heritage are allowed to decide for themselves which, if either, of their parental communities with which to identify. Obama has self-identified as an African-American from an early age.

Freeman went on to blast the GOP for reflexively and programmatically opposing Obama’s every move. The president, he said, "is being purposely, purposely thwarted by the Republican Party, who started out at the beginning of his tenure by saying, 'We are going to do whatever is necessary to make sure that he's only going to serve one term.'

"That means they will not cooperate with him on anything."
Part 1. I get his point, but come on, Morgan. Why?
Part 2. That is what the opposite party always does to the President. This is not new.

Personally, I think Morgan is jealous, because he thinks he was the first black President.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:38 AM
Misleading title is misleading.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
Misleading title is misleading.
I was not sure how to title it. I figured a nice joke would do. Morgan say Obama is not first Black Prez did not seem right either.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:11 PM
Very misleading title. I thought he had actually became blind.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flimmaker1473 View Post
Very misleading title. I thought he had actually became blind.
There is a religious joke I can say here, but I will resist. I am awaiting your comment in another thread, sir.

No comment on this?
Old 07-10-2012, 04:33 PM
Honestly, Morgan could say anything and get away with it.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gunslinger View Post
Honestly, Morgan could say anything and get away with it.
Probably.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:37 PM
I remember Halle Berry (also mixed race) saying in an interview that when she was young, she asked her mom "which is it? Am I black or white?" And her mom said "You're black, because that is how everyone will perceive you, fair or not."

I think that's about all that needs to be said.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:45 PM
I'm not sure if what he says here goes along with or goes again what he said on 60 Minutes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2d2SzRZvsQ

But I agree with what he said in the video. And it is true, Obama is not completely black, but I think it's always interesting to see a non-WASP become POTUS, Obama being the second after Kennedy (I think Kennedy was only missing the 'P' in 'WASP').
Old 07-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
I remember Halle Berry (also mixed race) saying in an interview that when she was young, she asked her mom "which is it? Am I black or white?" And her mom said "You're black, because that is how everyone will perceive you, fair or not."

I think that's about all that needs to be said.
Zoe Saldana has also been quoted as saying pretty much the same thing (that she's a black woman), and she's half Dominican and Puerto Rican.

You are how you are perceived in society.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:13 PM
No wonder he never responds to any of my fan letters.
I should've written 'em in braille.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
I was not sure how to title it. I figured a nice joke would do. Morgan say Obama is not first Black Prez did not seem right either.
Well l thought Morgan was blind too
But l see he is not
I have to agree that sometimes it is very hard to titile a thread but l am not worried about it

i read the rest of what you have written and l am happy with that Erroneous
Old 07-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Well of cause you can see that Obama is of mixed race
His wife looks as though she is a full blooded african american

But putting that aside

iAt least he had the chance to get edcated and as we see he is the president of America

I think he can show other mixed African americans that you can make something of yourself whether you are black or white or any other colour
Old 07-10-2012, 09:35 PM
Misleading Thread title, but I'm glad that it was so than the alternative. I was getting all sympathetic for a second. I don't care about a President's race, honestly. I'm far too busy concerning myself with how they are handling their job of being President of the United States.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
Well of cause you can see that Obama is of mixed race
His wife looks as though she is a full blooded african american

But putting that aside

iAt least he had the chance to get edcated and as we see he is the president of America

I think he can show other mixed African americans that you can make something of yourself whether you are black or white or any other colour
This should be the bio on the White House website.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:48 PM
Umm would l get paid alot of money for my words of wisdom

I can not give away words for free
Old 07-11-2012, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by electriclite View Post
Zoe Saldana has also been quoted as saying pretty much the same thing (that she's a black woman), and she's half Dominican and Puerto Rican.

You are how you are perceived in society.
I only perceive Zoe as one thing..... HOT!
Old 07-11-2012, 03:40 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule
Old 07-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Old 07-16-2012, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
http://entertainment.msnbc.msn.com/_...president?lite

Part 1. I get his point, but come on, Morgan. Why?
Part 2. That is what the opposite party always does to the President. This is not new.

Personally, I think Morgan is jealous, because he thinks he was the first black President.
Freeman would probably do a better job. lol

And each State of the Union would be extremely interesting to listen to.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:24 PM
Does this mean Freeman won't play him in the movie?