Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2012, 08:13 PM
I have a feeling this movie is going to have a similar look and feel to the new Total Recall.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:47 PM
I'm still not sure how a more sleek and produced film will come off handling this kind of material compared to the original, but so far I'm cautiously optimistic.

I like the tagline. Seems to encapsulate the themes of Robocop delivered in a tongue-in-cheek manner (as was the tone of the original).
Old 07-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Virals are coming in.

http://www.omnicorp.com/

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7-Uj...layer_embedded
Old 07-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Wow that´s quick.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:16 AM

Great. Yet another remake that WILL suck dick!
Old 07-08-2012, 01:16 PM
I doubt it will suck dick.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuatroDiablos View Post
I doubt it will suck dick.
It is a remake of Robocop. Remake is a nice word for "we are unapologetically going to rip you off in every single way". Rip offs were born to suck dick.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverload View Post
It is a remake of Robocop. Remake is a nice word for "we are unapologetically going to rip you off in every single way". Rip offs were born to suck dick.
That's not necessarily the case with every remake, IMO.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:56 AM
I am actually kinda looking forward to see what they can do with this.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:02 PM
I don't like the idea of this movie and much preferred when Aronofsky was attached. Simply because, I had a really good joke about Aronofsky making a RoboCop movie.

Whatever the case, I'm gonna see this movie. People shit and moan about remakes. Not me, though. What I think is more interesting is that we are now in a Late 80s Action Movie phase. This may be the best hope for a Guns and Roses reunion 10 years from now.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
Simply because, I had a really good joke about Aronofsky making a RoboCop movie.
What was the joke?

Quote:
Whatever the case, I'm gonna see this movie. People shit and moan about remakes. Not me, though.
We agree. Plus along with films like Total Recall, and Dredd I don't mind them being remade in the least as with today's technology these films could use an update. RoboCop, if you read the first page you'll see they're going to take it into a bit of a different, scientifically plausible direction. I'm down for that
Old 07-13-2012, 02:03 PM
http://collider.com/robocop-synopsis...7/#more-180047

Quote:
In RoboCop, the year is 2029 and multinational conglomerate OmniCorp is at the center of robot technology. Their drones are winning American wars around the globe and now they want to bring this technology to the home front. Alex Murphy is a loving husband, father and good cop doing his best to stem the tide of crime and corruption in Detroit. After he is critically injured in the line of duty, OmniCorp utilizes their remarkable science of robotics to save Alex’s life. He returns to the streets of his beloved city with amazing new abilities, but with issues a regular man has never had to face before.

Director José Padilha (Elite Squad) reimagines the tale of part man, part machine, all cop starring Joel Kinnaman (The Killing) as the title character, Gary Oldman (The Dark Knight Rises) as the scientist who creates RoboCop, and Samuel L. Jackson (The Avengers) as media mogul Pat Novak. RoboCop is being produced by Strike Entertainment’s Marc Abraham and Eric Newman, with Eric Carraro as Executive Producer. The film is currently in pre-production and slated for a summer 2013 release.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:57 PM
That synopsis sounds really cool. It's not a complete retread of the first movie and it sounds like Alex murphy survives his injuries, unlike the first film.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Wow, it just keeps getting better

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/jack...robocop-remake
Old 07-20-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm pretty stoked for this now.

If Padilha can recreate the gritty intensity of the Elite Squad films with this kind of cast, this could really be something cool.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsyder View Post
I'm pretty stoked for this now.

If Padilha can recreate the gritty intensity of the Elite Squad films with this kind of cast, this could really be something cool.
With you on that, completely. I've lost trust after Prometheus, so I'll keep the excitement contained for this. However, I do have some faith for this film and it's all based on the quality of those two films.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:59 PM
Ridley Scott really wasn't trending upwards when he made Prometheus, for what it's worth.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsyder View Post
Ridley Scott really wasn't trending upwards when he made Prometheus, for what it's worth.
No you're right, important to note that and I'm glad you did.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:32 AM

Not official, but this is basically why they're making this film - to make another iron man suit/movie/toy to sell.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:40 PM
As good as the director and cast is, I can't get behind this one. The trailer is gonna have to sell the shit out of it for me.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycheoutsteve View Post
That's not necessarily the case with every remake, IMO.
No. Not every remake. Just most of them. With very few exceptions.

I'll say it again. This movie will suck dick
Old 08-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopontheshoes7 View Post
As good as the director and cast is, I can't get behind this one. The trailer is gonna have to sell the shit out of it for me.
I know exactly how you feel, poop. It's not that I think anybody on this film isn't talented enough to make a good film, it's just that there's a certain magic to Robocop that can't be recreated. It's impossible. It's the same reason why remaking the Evil Dead is a terrible idea.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:05 PM
ohhhhh shit

http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2012/08/...s-al-qaeda-now
Old 08-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cop No. 633 View Post
I know exactly how you feel, poop. It's not that I think anybody on this film isn't talented enough to make a good film, it's just that there's a certain magic to Robocop that can't be recreated. It's impossible. It's the same reason why remaking the Evil Dead is a terrible idea.
Paul Verhoeven is a one-of-a-kind director. No one else does violence (and violently morbid humour) quite the same way and it's his style that made that film so fucking great. Neither Total Recall or Robocop should have been touched..

There is no way this will be anything more than a pale shadow of the original. And as others have said, I generally like the people involved.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:00 AM
Guys, guys, come on - they wanted an established brand of films where they can use a bunch of CGI to make a transforming Iron Man-y supercop. He's gonna do all sorts of cool shit and blow up bad guys. THATS the reason they're making the movie. It's not rocket surgery.

I just dont understand why they have to say, oh its robocop. It would be very simple to create something new - EVEN IF ITS JUST A NEW NAME - but they do this because its already an established brand. Its got built-in marketing.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
No. Not every remake. Just most of them. With very few exceptions.

I'll say it again. This movie will suck dick
There's several reasons to be cautiously optimistic about this flick though.

1. A solid director
2. A very good cast
3. A new story that won't be a complete retread of the original, (at least that's what they're selling it as).
4. Updated special effects.
5.A summer release date. The first 3 weeks in August are usually filled with some decent releases.
6.Robocop actually found his way back to the big screen again.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:48 AM
Disappointed about the Hugh Laurie news. Although I'm a big fan of Clive Owen's, I was really looking forward to see Laurie playing a bad guy.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:49 PM
http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/is-the-...dy-in-trouble/

Quote:
Jose Padilha's first Hollywood feature appears to be off to a rocky start. The director of the two internationally loved films Elite Squad and Elite Squad: The Enemy Within is in charge of the RoboCop remake over at Sony and as issues were recently brought up by the online geek set when Joshua Zetumer and Nick Schenk's script was leaked it sounded like just the normal complaining, but now it sounds as if Padilha may be second-guessing himself and the film hasn't even started shooting yet.

We'll begin with the comments on the script that were made on Twitter via Drew McWeeny from HitFix.com. To give you a sense of where McWeeny approached the screenplay from, he says, "Robocop was already perfect." So he's against a remake from the start, not exactly a good place to be when commenting on the script, but at least he puts it out there for context.

He comments on the suit, upset how the 1.0 version is described as "a high-tech version of the '80s suit" and how after that they actually have a focus group scene where criminals laugh at the design, saying, "He looks like a toy from the '80s!" McWeeny's frustration here is the suggestion the original Robocop design is dated and stupid and grows frustrated with the suggestion the department "outsource[s] [the Robocop] construction to China."

The design goes through upwards of four variations until he looks like a "cop on steroids painted metallic blue." There's word Robocop is tested in an Al Queda training camp, which makes me think they are mimicking a similar scene from Iron Man and at one point McWeeny compares him to a Transformer because he goes from "social mode" to "combat mode".

To relate it to a recent remake, McWeeny adds, "When this thing hits theaters, people are going to call up Len Wiseman's Total Recall on the phone and apologize for being so mean."

Bleeding Cool to a full compilation of the tweets and I personally don't see what is so wrong with most of McWeeny's complaints. Then again, I didn't read it in context with the story and I don't feel any great compassion for the original. However, McWeeny's commentary begins to take on a little more weight when you consider some words relayed by a friend of Padilha's, director Fernando Meirelles (The Constant Gardener).

A translation of an interview with Meirelles from Cinemacom Rapadura (via The Playlist) was run through Google Translate and he says, "I talked to Jose Padilha for a week by phone. He will begin filming Robocop. He is saying that it is the worst experience. For every 10 ideas he has, 9 are cut. Whatever he wants, he has to fight."

It gets worse.

"'This is hell here,' he told me. 'The film will be good, but I never suffered so much and do not want to do it again.' He is bitter, but [he's] a fighter," Meirelles added.

While the film can certainly come out the other side unscathed, this isn't a pretty picture when you consider it sounds like they are aiming to make another PG-13 remake of an R-rated film and already only negativity seems to be surrounding the production.

The film is already slated for an August 9, 2013 release with Joel Kinnaman in the title role, joined by Gary Oldman, Samuel L. Jackson, Abbie Cornish, Jackie Earle Haley, Jennifer Ehle, Michael Kenneth Williams and Marianne Jean-Baptiste
Old 09-15-2012, 01:26 PM

Whelp. I guess helmet looks ok. Everything else though... Meh.

Last edited by TheRey; 09-15-2012 at 01:31 PM..
Old 09-15-2012, 03:27 PM

Lmao, looks like he stole Bale's Batman suit and put on a motorcycle helmet. Seriously, this generic as hell suit is the best they could come up with? The Original suit was an instant icon, this shit only makes it look that much better.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverload View Post
Lmao, looks like he stole Bale's Batman suit and put on a motorcycle helmet. Seriously, this generic as hell suit is the best they could come up with? The Original suit was an instant icon, this shit only makes it look that much better.
What's funny is that the script features a scene where they're looking at designs for the suit, and everybody laughs at the original Robocop suit, saying it's like something from the 80s...
Old 09-15-2012, 03:50 PM
I'll wait to judge the film but boy is that suit uninspired...
Old 09-15-2012, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
What's funny is that the script features a scene where they're looking at designs for the suit, and everybody laughs at the original Robocop suit, saying it's like something from the 80s...
that's a stupid way at throwing a 'homage' to that film. Yeah the design sucks, it looked somewhat intriguing in those 'shapes' presented as teasers poster at Comic Con, but yeah it's tame in comparison to original Robocop. Still, we'll see what they do with it in the film, but so far not a good start.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:24 PM
I wouldn't buy that for a dollar!

Old 09-16-2012, 12:05 AM
I really hate to say I told you so.. But I did. So far this remake is looking like utter crap.
Way to go, and tarnish the good name of yet another classic movie. How typical.
Those images made me laugh out loud.

Last edited by God of War; 09-16-2012 at 12:07 AM..
Old 09-16-2012, 12:09 AM

He looks more like that ninja from G.I.Joe than Robocop

Last edited by God of War; 09-16-2012 at 12:15 AM..
Old 09-16-2012, 12:56 AM
It's an accelerator suit.

What's it "accelerate?"

You.

Holy shit, that looks terrible. Looks like The Guyver, or some custom Master Chief armor. or Batman. But most of all, it looks like a guy in a rubber body suit, and definitely does not look like a cyborg.

Ha! Just figured it out. It looks like the Slayers from Krull:

Last edited by Badbird; 09-16-2012 at 01:00 AM..
Old 09-16-2012, 01:14 AM
Maybe Kinneman will make little robot noises when he moves so it won't be that bad.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:05 AM
I love Krull.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:03 PM

Somebody photo-shopped the first image of the suit and it looks a lot better... but I still think it looks more like a guy wearing light body armor instead of a half-man half-machine cyborg robotic moreredundantwords thing.