Old 07-22-2012, 08:22 PM
http://entertainment.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/22/12890550-dark-knight-rises-sales-below-forecasts-after-shooting?lite&__utma=14933801.1977892332.134264054 6.1342929481.1343006003.17&__utmb=14933801.3.10.13 43006003&__utmc=14933801&__utmx=-&__utmz=14933801.1342640546.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|ut mccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=14933801.|8=Ear ned%20By=msnbc%7Ccover=1^12=Landing%20Content=Mixe d=1^13=Landing%20Hostname=www.nbcnews.com=1^30=Vis it%20Type%20to%20Content=Earned%20to%20Mixed=1&__u tmk=115916422

According to the link above
Dark Knight $162
Ice Age $21
Spiderman $10.5 ouch
Ted $10.1
Brave $5.8
Old 07-22-2012, 08:28 PM
I think the lack of a 3D release hurt grosses as much as the shooting. 3D adds another what 25% to a ticket. $162 could have been at least $175 or more. I don't know what percent 3D accounts for 3D releases. I figure 20% ??
Old 07-22-2012, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
I think the lack of a 3D release hurt grosses as much as the shooting. 3D adds another what 25% to a ticket. $162 could have been at least $175 or more. I don't know what percent 3D accounts for 3D releases. I figure 20% ??
Well I know that $30 million of The Avengers opening came exclusively from the 3D upticks. That includes just the price difference between 3D and regular. That's a ton!
Old 07-22-2012, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
Reports for TDKR's midnight gross seem to be $30.6 million. Not surprised, after seeing how much of a zoo my theater was. Plus, it's really summertime, so students are officially out and can more easily see a midnight screening (as opposed to Avengers' early May showing, when not even college kids were off yet). I am a bit surprised how much less it is than Deathly Hallows. Guess those Potter fanboys are nuts!
At my theater, we sold out Harry Potter a week before the midnight whereas DKR did not sell out till a few hours before. I never saw excitement as high for this one from the beginning, and its too bad. Overall, we were definitely not as busy as The Avengers, especially opening night. That may be due to fewer showtimes but who's to say at this point? I would have really liked to see it beat Avengers, as its more than just visual popcorn. However I must point out that Avengers had 4 main superhero's leading to its opening record, where DKR has done a comparable job with just 1 hero and no 3D.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
Oh snap. Crackle and pop.
I'm pretty sure Box office Mojo would revise that statement after what happened in Colorado Thursday night. Hard to say how much it affected it, but I think it was a factor that probably had an effect on ALL movies. Look at Spider-Man's 70% drop, Ice Age dropped big...

$160 million, or wherever it ends up, is still a MAJOR number even if it does fall short of expectations.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyro_44 View Post
$160 million, or wherever it ends up, is still a MAJOR number even if it does fall short of expectations.
Funny how $160 does not seem all that big anymore. Expectations are a bitch lol
Old 07-22-2012, 11:33 PM
I expected TDKR to do much better, but after the shooting (which I think had a more significant impact than I realized) I still would've guessed something in the $180-$185 million range.

I'm curious to read a report on boxofficemojo to see how the attendance stackes up with Dark Knight's once actual figures are announced.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
I expected TDKR to do much better, but after the shooting (which I think had a more significant impact than I realized) I still would've guessed something in the $180-$185 million range.

I'm curious to read a report on boxofficemojo to see how the attendance stackes up with Dark Knight's once actual figures are announced.
I'm most curious to see what it drops next weekend.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:05 AM
I'd argue TDKR made MORE because of the shooting. It was always going to be extremely frontloaded just like Twilight or Harry Potter. You can't project a weekend off those midnight shows with a fan base like Batman.

I've heard and read many people say, "I wasn't going to see it but I wasn't going to let a punk terrorist win."

Plus, the movie was being talked about 24/7 and that's free advertising and sparks curiosity. TDKR might actually have legs now even though word of mouth (from most non-fanboys) is saying it's a mediocre movie.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:52 AM
This movie will have legs , but it won't catch The Avengers which had the advantage of being in 3D and the fact that's a kids movie.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
I'm most curious to see what it drops next weekend.
I would expect if it made $162 this week, a smaller than usual drop for a movie opening of this size and get close to $100 next weekend. Avatar like, but with higher numbers
Old 07-23-2012, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
I've heard and read many people say, "I wasn't going to see it but I wasn't going to let a punk terrorist win."
What happened was a tragedy and I won't speculate on its affects on TDKR numbers. It was horrible. I feel for the poor families involved. Fuck that asshole piece of shit wackjob. A speedy trial and execution, no death row, no appeals, no forgiveness for this fucker. In fact, from what I understand, he is already receiving death threats in prison. Maybe giving him to general population is a more fitting punishment.

Quote:
Plus, the movie was being talked about 24/7 and that's free advertising and sparks curiosity. TDKR might actually have legs now even though word of mouth (from most non-fanboys) is saying it's a mediocre movie.
This is what is really going to cost this movie in the long run.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustysyringe View Post
This is what is really going to cost this movie in the long run.
The A Cinemascore (same as TDK), 93% Flixter, and 4.5/5 stars on Yahoo Users would indicate otherwise. These aren't fanboy assessments of the movie either, they are assessments of WOM from your average moviegoer. It might not have good legs, but I doubt WOM will be the issue. Whether it's the tragedy that affects it or the front-loaded nature of a big blockbuster sequel, WOM will not be the issue.

Last edited by Bourne101; 07-23-2012 at 11:14 AM..
Old 07-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Quote:
I'd argue TDKR made MORE because of the shooting. It was always going to be extremely frontloaded just like Twilight or Harry Potter. You can't project a weekend off those midnight shows with a fan base like Batman.

Sorry Murph, but I think you might be off-base there... the movie got an A Cinemascore and is getting high marks from imdb, rotten tomatoes, metacritic and most people I've talked to. Of course, some of those fanboys will be voting 10s and jacking those scores up right now, but overall I think it's getting some pretty damn good word of mouth. Really curious to see how next weekend goes over. We shall see I guess.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Quote:

Completely disagree I have talked to a ton of people who didn't want to go and see it because of what happened, and form the average moviegoer the word of mouth is great.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuatroDiablos View Post
This movie will have legs , but it won't catch The Avengers which had the advantage of being in 3D and the fact that's a kids movie.
Agree, but I also think it's less enjoyable for rewatching to the average movie goer than Avengers.

It's longer, more thought-provoking, more cumbersome. If you just want a fun time at the movies, I don't think you'd see this again. Obviously, Batman fans, and people who want to digest the symbolism or discuss the themes, will rewatch it. But I know housewives who were bored and decided to check out Avengers for a 2nd or 3rd time. Don't see that happening with this one.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:04 AM
I think the film is being released for the rest of us this weekend , international numbers are going to be huge.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:25 AM
Wow, I havent been online in a couple of days but without a doubt the shootings affected the box office take...no way it does $12 million more in midnight showings and only $2 million more for the weekend than TDK. I didn't even ask around but I overheard 4-5 "Inbetweeners" say they weren't going now just because of the shootings. I don't think it would have done Avengers money because of the 3D prices, but I bet $180 ish.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:56 AM
The shooting did have an effect on people , even I am a little spooked even though I live in Chile an this film come out tomorrow here.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:22 PM
I really don't want to speculate about what affect the shootings had on Batman's box office but i do know that almost everyone i spoke to about it was spooked and they were hesitant to see it opening weekend as a result.

I don't blame them and i'm in no position to question their motives, that's their decision.

It made about another 20 mil on monday and 17 mil on tues., those are very strong holds . It's just shy of 200 mil after 5 days of release, according to BOM, that's about 45 mil behind Avenger's pace after the same time period .

Really couldn't say what happens from this point and i know it's not important right now but for the hell of it, it should break 500 mil. People will get over their apprehension i'm sure.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellamorte dellamore View Post
I really don't want to speculate about what affect the shootings had on Batman's box office but i do know that almost everyone i spoke to about it was spooked and they were hesitant to see it opening weekend as a result.

I don't blame them and i'm in no position to question their motives, that's their decision.

It made about another 20 mil on monday and 17 mil on tues., those are very strong holds . It's just shy of 200 mil after 5 days of release, according to BOM, that's about 45 mil behind Avenger's pace after the same time period .

Really couldn't say what happens from this point and i know it's not important right now but for the hell of it, it should break 500 mil. People will get over their apprehension i'm sure.
I noticed this too. It's very possible people spooked away from weekend showings may be working their way back during the week.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:26 PM
Its Friday haul is estimated at around 18 million, but if the movie doesn't even hit 60 this weekend that's disappointing. I don't know if the shootings are responsible or if people are just exhausted after the wham bam summer, but Rises doesn't seem to be doing that well. And I'm not sure why. Ignoring debates over its quality, the opening weekend was below estimates and so far it has been tracking below Knight, and i can't find an example of a sequel falling behind an extremely well regarded prequel this way. Maybe Ledger's death really did boost the batman movie beyond its target audience?
Old 07-28-2012, 12:55 PM
Such a shame. Just plain old bad luck for Nolan and co.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:21 PM
I'll add this, for whatever it's worth. Of the three films, the Dark Knight is the only film to use an established villain the public knew well, and, in actuality, used two.

Two Face and Joker have both appeared in bat films before - Scarecrow, Ras, Tali, Bane; all new villains the general (dumber) public wouldn't know about.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Its Friday haul is estimated at around 18 million, but if the movie doesn't even hit 60 this weekend that's disappointing. I don't know if the shootings are responsible or if people are just exhausted after the wham bam summer, but Rises doesn't seem to be doing that well. And I'm not sure why. Ignoring debates over its quality, the opening weekend was below estimates and so far it has been tracking below Knight, and i can't find an example of a sequel falling behind an extremely well regarded prequel this way. Maybe Ledger's death really did boost the batman movie beyond its target audience?
I forget where the poll was taken, but something like 25+% of those surveyed said they were still afraid to go to the movies. It's clearly impacting the film (and others as well). There's just no way after its midnight numbers and the way it was performing early Friday morning (before most people had heard about the shootings) that it would be putting up numbers like it has. They aren't bad numbers, by any means, and it's still hugely successful, but this should have hit $500-600 million easily. As it stands right now, it's looking at around $425-450 million, unless it has much stronger holds in the coming weeks.

WOM isn't the issue. As I said before it received an A Cinemascore (same as TDK), a 93% Flixter rating, and 4.5/5 stars on Yahoo Users.

Last edited by Bourne101; 07-28-2012 at 04:38 PM..
Old 07-28-2012, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
I forget where the poll was taken, but something like 25+% of those surveyed said they were still afraid to go to the movies. It's clearly impacting the film (and others as well). There's just no way after its midnight numbers and the way it was performing early Friday morning (before most people had heard about the shootings) that it would be putting up numbers like it has. They aren't bad numbers, by any means, and it's still hugely successful, but this should have hit $500-600 million easily. As it stands right now, it's looking at around $425-450 million, unless it has much stronger holds in the coming weeks.

WOM isn't the issue. As I said before it received an A Cinemascore (same as TDK), a 93% Flixter rating, and 4.5/5 stars on Yahoo Users.
Who knows why the numbers are low. The Watch did really poorly too. Regardless TDKR is still a big hit and nobody will hurt because of it.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:26 PM
The opening ceremonies for the Olympics may also have impacted yesterday's numbers, and the Olympics in general may drag box-office down a bit (in addition to the shootings). I haven't looked at box-office history during years when the Olympics took place though.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:51 PM
I dont know what went on or was foiled in MD, but they keep saying it was Aurora like. That is not going to help people wanting to go to the movies. There must be some parents say go another time.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:42 AM
It's only lagging behind TDK's total back in 2008 by about 18 mil after the 8 day mark so i wouldn't say it's underperforming but the expectations were so high anything less than 500 mil will be seen as a disappointment. Still hope it can at least hit the high 400s or even break 500 ( highly unlikely now )

I thought it would definitely make over 600 mil total , The Avengers box office performance factored into that prediction because it raised the bar and obviously because of what TDK did .

The Watch, oh man what a bomb, i thought it looked good, nothing i would rush out to see but something that i thought would have attracted a larger audience, guess not
Old 07-29-2012, 04:34 AM
i watched spider man
it was awsome
so cool
Old 07-29-2012, 08:19 AM
Weekend takes are reporting Rises having dropped a whopping 75%.

An estimated 55 million.

Unbelievable.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:57 AM
It is almost certain that the shooting had an adverse effect on TDKR. But if it does not hit $500 mill, this will not be the reason. The tragedy will pass and if TDKR is as strong a movie as some claim, people will go see it and it will continue to have strong numbers.

For example, TDK continued to have strong weekends into September, it kept going and going and going because people kept talking about how great Ledger was and the movie was. I didn't actually realize until I checked, but TDK almost had a million dollar weekend the first week of fricking October. By contrast, I keep hearing about how TDKR is not near as good as TDK. I keep reading about how it lacks the electricity, that spark that TDK had (that spark WAS Ledger btw).

It is only two weeks, the tragedy is still front and center, this is still casting a cloud over everything. However, this movie can and will pull through and hit $500 mill IF it is good enough. IMO, that will not happen but in the end it won't be because of the shooting.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
I'll add this, for whatever it's worth. Of the three films, the Dark Knight is the only film to use an established villain the public knew well, and, in actuality, used two.

Two Face and Joker have both appeared in bat films before - Scarecrow, Ras, Tali, Bane; all new villains the general (dumber) public wouldn't know about.

Exactly, this is huge and cannot be discounted. Also, Ledger was out of this world and captured lightning in a bottle with the role. These two points (iconic villain played perfectly with a once in a lifetime performance) are the main reason why TDK is what it is and did what it did.

To discount this, to claim otherwise is revisionist and simply just not true. Also, given the fact TDKR lacks this is why I feel it will fall short.

Last edited by rustysyringe; 07-29-2012 at 09:14 AM..
Old 07-29-2012, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Weekend takes are reporting Rises having dropped a whopping 75%.

An estimated 55 million.

Unbelievable.
Nope, looking at $65 million according to the most recent reports.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:30 AM
An unverified source now claims bourne is completely wrong and the movie has actually dropped an unprecedented 92% just to spite him. It's a sad day for bat fans, america, and correcting my peer reviewed research of weekend box office stats compiled from at least one backwater google website I have never heard of before.

Dammit. But I hope you're right.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustysyringe View Post
[/b]

Exactly, this is huge and cannot be discounted. Also, Ledger was out of this world and captured lightning in a bottle with the role. These two points (iconic villain played perfectly with a once in a lifetime performance) are the main reason why TDK is what it is and did what it did.

To discount this, to claim otherwise is revisionist and simply just not true. Also, given the fact TDKR lacks this is why I feel it will fall short.
The shooting hasnt helped. Nor has the Olympics.

I feel really bad for those guys. I hope the character of Batman (in film and comics alike) isn't tarnished because of this. TDKR could actually bomb, guys.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:44 AM
It looks like Rises made closer to 64 mil over the weekend. Bourne was on the money.

Mojo's breakdowns:

Fri: 17,930,000
Sat: 25,010,000
Sun: 21,135,000

Not as bad. Not a particularly good hold even when factoring in the drop offs for blockbusters with frontloaded weekends, but not as bad.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:00 PM
Quote:
It just hit $64.1 million for the weekend. Seemed to have a pretty big boost on Sat and Sun. Rises is headed to probably around $450 million domestic, and over a billion dollars worldwide. Foreign numbers have been very good. So, despite a few disappointing domestic numbers, it's doing fine. More than fine, actually.

Weekend numbers:

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

1. Dark Knight Rises - $64.1 million
2. Ice Age - $13.3 million
3. The Watch - $13 million
4. Step Up - $11.8 million
Old 07-29-2012, 12:09 PM
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=batman3.htm

$537 million worldwide in 10 days for The Dark Knight Rises.

Damn! (in a good sense)
Old 07-29-2012, 12:17 PM
That was a nice recovery considering what it did on Friday and it held steady on Sunday, very nice, that could be a sign the apprehension is subsiding .

Let's put this in perspective, i think the shootings did have an effect, i don't see how it wouldn't but even in light of that it's just shy of 300 mil after only 10 days, yes, 300 mil ( 537 mil worldwide ), how is that bad. And in comparison to TDk after 10 days ( i keep on going back to the BOM running tally comparison ) , it's only about 25 mil off that movie's pace which is pretty damn terrific all things considered ( hate that phrase but it's apropos in this instance ) . It should cross 300 mil tmmrow, hopefully, unless it has a huge drop .

Yes, Ledger made a difference concerning the box office of TDK, but at this point in time head to head he only made a 25 mil dollar difference if you want to get technical and most likely if the shootings never occured TDKR would be running ahead of TDK right now . Of course we'll see just how well this holds up when it finishes it's run but it's the expectations again, most of us felt like it was going to break all kinds of records, me included, once you settle down and realize it's not going to, you'll see it's making some definitive noise at the box office in a more subtle but potent fashion.

400 mil is guaranteed unless there is a zombie apocalypse, how far above that number is the x factor . Yeah this is the same guy that said SM was making 300 mil but i digress, it's performing excellent and the Bat fans should not be concerned .