#1  
Old 07-14-2012, 07:26 PM
Digital vs. Print (Comics)

I am torn on this. I just purchased a Kindle Fire about a week ago and I really enjoy it. I use the Comixology app on it, but it sucks because for some odd reason the specific Fire app doesn't have DC comics at all. You have to go to their website, purchase the DC book and then somehow sync it over to the app itself (which is an un-necessary pain in the ass).

I have been reading The Walking Dead on it, and have quite enjoyed it so far.... But I miss print and I don't want my LCS (Local Comic Shop) and other comic stores going outta business either. Plus, I DO miss the tangible holding of said comic and flipping through the pages.... However collecting them in print (bagging & boarding/boxing) can get costly as well as eventually become a space issue too.

So yeah.... I'm leaning more towards going back to print, but am still on the fence at this point in time.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-14-2012, 11:14 PM
For what it's worth, I don't read comics, but if I were to start it would definitely be on a digital medium (probably a tablet.)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-15-2012, 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
For what it's worth, I don't read comics, but if I were to start it would definitely be on a digital medium (probably a tablet.)
Yeah, I mean I enjoy it so far and I have nothing bad to say about it.... I guess it's more a nostalgia thing, and liking having something tangible in hand.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-15-2012, 05:54 PM

Because I don't have the money nor am I always able to go to my "LCS," I read quite a bit of comics online, but if I am given the option I will always choose to read in print over digital. In fact, reading most things digital hurts my eyes (especially novels), and I'm a very materialistic person (in the sense that I really appreciate holding something tangible in my hands and take great care of my belongings).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisoGenie View Post
I'm a very materialistic person (in the sense that I really appreciate holding something tangible in my hands and take great care of my belongings).
Agreed. I think it's just the collector's mentality that I have... I use to have several boxes of comics (around 400-500 or so) that I ended up selling 10+ years ago, due to having to move at the time. I really regret doing so now. So I'm considering trying to build my collection back up once more.

Not only do I enjoy reading the stories comics have, but I also like the collectibility factor, even though what I plan on collecting won't be for monetary purposes (all modern stuff that would take ages to gain in value, if at all).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-16-2012, 12:16 AM
Digital comicsm, while green for the earth, goes against the whole concept of comics. People collect them. They read them, trade, sell them and buy them. There are people will thousands of them. There is no fun in collecting digital books. Reading them is only a some part of the fun of comics.

With that said, I have never owned a comic, but I have been to comic book stores and bought other shit from there and I would hate to see yet another type of retail go out of business. Fuck Amazon. They are helping kill America.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-16-2012, 08:31 AM
I can't stand digital comics.

Years ago i had every issues of Amazing/Spectaular/Web of Spider Man on my computer and viewed them through a special program that i can't recall the name but the comic file extensions were .cbz. I thought it would be cool to read through them all but in the end just killed my neck and eyes. I tried to do the actual company ones as well (Marvel and DC) but i hated how you only focused on a single box and then it moved around the page, it just bothered me.

These days, with the rise of digital reading devices, i might of had a better time with it but its already been ruined for me. The only reason i would want comics on a device now would be because i don't want to risk damaging the real comic by traveling with it. But for the most part Graphic Novels and Trade Paperbacks suffice well enough.

I think the big problem for me is that unless you are going to read comics that always fit the page the same way you're not going to find a reader program that will always display properly. I'm talking about stuff like 2 page spreads or like in Fables where there's stuff outside the boxes on the page.

Its print or nothing for me, when i read something i like to see my progress in the thickness of the pages remaining. Even though i have a tablet that could view them i'd rather us it for games or video's and just have a book with me instead/as well.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-16-2012, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
I can't stand digital comics.

Years ago i had every issues of Amazing/Spectaular/Web of Spider Man on my computer and viewed them through a special program that i can't recall the name but the comic file extensions were .cbz. I thought it would be cool to read through them all but in the end just killed my neck and eyes. I tried to do the actual company ones as well (Marvel and DC) but i hated how you only focused on a single box and then it moved around the page, it just bothered me.

These days, with the rise of digital reading devices, i might of had a better time with it but its already been ruined for me. The only reason i would want comics on a device now would be because i don't want to risk damaging the real comic by traveling with it. But for the most part Graphic Novels and Trade Paperbacks suffice well enough.

I think the big problem for me is that unless you are going to read comics that always fit the page the same way you're not going to find a reader program that will always display properly. I'm talking about stuff like 2 page spreads or like in Fables where there's stuff outside the boxes on the page.

Its print or nothing for me, when i read something i like to see my progress in the thickness of the pages remaining. Even though i have a tablet that could view them i'd rather us it for games or video's and just have a book with me instead/as well.
Good points boss. I agree with the zooming in on each specific box, it's a bit more enjoyable to see the entire page (in print form). You were probably reading something called CBR or Comic Book Reader or something to that affect. I used to have the same app. I had hundreds of the files downloaded on my PC as well.

With the Comixology app, it's all done through THEIR website. So when you purchase a book, it stays in THEIR database, in that it's not its own individual file. Which I'm not the biggest fan of.... Because if someone decided to fuck with Comixology and hack into their system, your books could potentially be deleted and/or lost. I think I've pretty much made my mind up on the Digial vs. Print thing, and Print prevails!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
Good points boss. I agree with the zooming in on each specific box, it's a bit more enjoyable to see the entire page (in print form). You were probably reading something called CBR or Comic Book Reader or something to that affect. I used to have the same app. I had hundreds of the files downloaded on my PC as well.

With the Comixology app, it's all done through THEIR website. So when you purchase a book, it stays in THEIR database, in that it's not its own individual file. Which I'm not the biggest fan of.... Because if someone decided to fuck with Comixology and hack into their system, your books could potentially be deleted and/or lost. I think I've pretty much made my mind up on the Digial vs. Print thing, and Print prevails!
Yeah, CBR sounds about right now that you mention it.

That's the unforunate thing about moving towards all this online storage stuff like cloud and what not, if someone fucks with it a ton of ppl get effected. I like having a file i can back up in some way.

These days lots of stuff gets collected in trades and the like with even alot of the older popular stuff getting collected in the Essentials from Marvel, i can't recall the name of the DC ones. I have all but a for Amaznig Spider Man and Uncanny X-Men essentials and their great.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
Yeah, CBR sounds about right now that you mention it.

That's the unforunate thing about moving towards all this online storage stuff like cloud and what not, if someone fucks with it a ton of ppl get effected. I like having a file i can back up in some way.

These days lots of stuff gets collected in trades and the like with even alot of the older popular stuff getting collected in the Essentials from Marvel, i can't recall the name of the DC ones. I have all but a for Amaznig Spider Man and Uncanny X-Men essentials and their great.
I hear ya... Omnibus's are also a good way to get a HUGE collection of issues in one solid hardcover book as well. The only thing I don't like about Marvel's Essentials, is that they're in black & white. When it comes to super hero comics, I've gotta have some colour!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-17-2012, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
I hear ya... Omnibus's are also a good way to get a HUGE collection of issues in one solid hardcover book as well. The only thing I don't like about Marvel's Essentials, is that they're in black & white. When it comes to super hero comics, I've gotta have some colour!
Yeah i've met a lot of ppl who feel that way about them as well but in reality the colouring was horrible back when these comics were originally printed so i can get over it. Not to mention the fact that its just black and white news print keeps the price down. The first volume of Spectacular Spider Man Essential is 32 issues and it was only $20. Can't beat that if you are really into collecting the older stuff to read.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-18-2012, 02:59 PM
I would never fuck with Digital. That ruins the whole concept of collecting. I'm working on the marvel civil war collection which I know are going to bring big bucks in the future. Someone suggested that I buy the DVD ROM. That's a foreign concept to me and ruins the whole concept of collecting the damn things to begin with. I couldn't do it. To me that's the same equivalent as going out buying an older muscle car, let's say a 1969 Dodge Charger and swapping out the carbureted engine for a fuel Ingencted $40,000 dodge Viper motor. Ya cool, but ruins the whole Idea and concept, and carbureted engines sound better.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar Fanatic View Post
I would never fuck with Digital. That ruins the whole concept of collecting. I'm working on the marvel civil war collection which I know are going to bring big bucks in the future. Someone suggested that I buy the DVD ROM. That's a foreign concept to me and ruins the whole concept of collecting the damn things to begin with. I couldn't do it. To me that's the same equivalent as going out buying an older muscle car, let's say a 1969 Dodge Charger and swapping out the carbureted engine for a fuel Ingencted $40,000 dodge Viper motor. Ya cool, but ruins the whole Idea and concept, and carbureted engines sound better.
That's a good analogy Mopar. I really gotta agree with ya on that... I can see the appeal in digital (space saving, for large collections with many long boxes of books, etc.) and having your whole collection on a tablet/in one place. But yeah... It takes the "collect" out of "collecting" that's for sure. Good points man.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Well I've come to a conclusion on this. I read 5 titles:

-The Walking Dead
-Superman
-Justice League
-Batman
-Amazing Spider-man


Since I've already purchased a 6 issue collected edition of The Walking Dead on my Kindle Fire, I've decided to continue reading just that title alone digitally. The other 4 titles I will continue to buy in print at my local comic shop.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-23-2012, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
Well I've come to a conclusion on this. I read 5 titles:

-The Walking Dead
-Superman
-Justice League
-Batman
-Amazing Spider-man


Since I've already purchased a 6 issue collected edition of The Walking Dead on my Kindle Fire, I've decided to continue reading just that title alone digitally. The other 4 titles I will continue to buy in print at my local comic shop.
That's probably the best one to read digitally. No colour and very few 2 page spreads. Getting to only look at half a 2 page spread at a time can suck.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-23-2012, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
That's probably the best one to read digitally. No colour and very few 2 page spreads. Getting to only look at half a 2 page spread at a time can suck.
Precisely why I've designated that particular title to be read digitally.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump