Old 12-31-2004, 11:52 AM
The "Judas Priest fucking rule!" thread

In this thread, discuss Judas Priest's awesomeness. I've been listening to them non stop latley, and can now say without a doubt they are my favortie band. Rob Halford is one of the best vocalists EVER! Glen Tipton and KK Downing are one of the best guitar duo's in metal. They write magical solos and riffs. Unless your a poseur, commence worship!

"CAN'T STOP THE METAL MELTDOWN, NO ONE SURIVES!!!" \m/
Old 12-31-2004, 02:03 PM
Let's get the positivity out first.

Painkiller is a great album, but honestly I'll say the band is overrated. They play damn good songs and Tipton's a great guitarist, but Halford's vocals are awful to me. I prefer the Ripper songs I've heard, but It's still not much better. I hate the high pitched vocal save for a few bands. Plus I feel that most of the other British Bands from that era (Sabbath, Maiden, Motorhead, Venom, Dio, Deep Purple, Diamond Head) are much much better.

POSEUR'S UNITE
Old 12-31-2004, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by HannibalGuy
Dio is Italian-American.
Oh shit, I just figured he was British based on the vocals.

Still better than Priest though, IMO.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
British Bands from that era (Sabbath, Maiden, Motorhead, Venom, Dio, Deep Purple, Diamond Head)
Dio is Italian-American.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:22 PM
For a 'classic metal band', Priest certainly outheavy a lot of today's metal acts.

But anyway, Painkiller and British Steel should be compulsory listening for any metal fan.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:41 PM
I loved them up through about the mid-80's. One of the three mainstay metal bands of my youth, along with Scorpions and (especially) Iron Maiden.

A whole string of truly amazing records.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:52 PM
They're not bad. I've seen and heard both better and worse, but they were a good 80's metal act. My favorite song of theirs?

You Got Another Thing Coming
Old 01-03-2005, 04:04 AM
Judas Priest does fucking rule. But jeez people, get out of the eighties! This is so typical classic rock speak: "I liked that one song twenty years ago." But then won't listen to anything new.

I think Ripper is a better singer in general, and he sounds even better in Iced Earth now, but Rob's awesome too. Judas Priest is thirty years old now. Thirty! They've been together as a group longer than a lot of these nu metal posers have been alive!

Having seen Metallica live (finally), Judas Priest is the one band left I'm dying to see live (besides bands like Nightwish, Primal Fear, etc. But they'll never come to the US).

Best Albums:

1 - Demolition
2 - Painkiller
3 - Ram it Down
4 - Jugulator
5 - Defenders of the Faith
Old 01-04-2005, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Badbird
But jeez people, get out of the eighties! This is so typical classic rock speak: "I liked that one song twenty years ago." But then won't listen to anything new.

Nobody said that, and half of the people who already posted do like their newer stuff.

I like all eras of Priest, but the early is my favorite. I prefer Halford to Ripper, but RIpper was a worthy replacement.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:02 AM

THIS IS YOUR GOD

Last edited by thebloodfeaster; 01-05-2005 at 11:46 PM..
Old 01-04-2005, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Having seen Metallica live (finally), Judas Priest is the one band left I'm dying to see live (besides bands like Nightwish, Primal Fear, etc. But they'll never come to the US).
Nightwish will be touring North America with Sonata Arctica starting in April.

What are everyone's thoughts on "Revolution," the new Priest single? It sounds like it was written and recorded in the early '80s. Not bad. Not bad at all.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Best Albums:
1 - Demolition
Old 01-10-2005, 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by thebloodfeaster
Nobody said that, and half of the people who already posted do like their newer stuff.

I like all eras of Priest, but the early is my favorite. I prefer Halford to Ripper, but RIpper was a worthy replacement.
I meant more in general this kind of attitude. Not just for Priest, but any band still making albums after twenty years. Classic rock, hard rock, metal, whatever.

Say you know someone who's a big Pink Floyd fan, ask them if they got The Division Bell and they'll be all like "What, naw, I just like Dark Side of the Moon."

Or people who just get Greatest Hits albums, yet claim to be "big fans."

Read most of the reviews for the Ripper albums on Amazon.com and you'll see what I mean.

I haven't heard their new single yet, but if it does indeed sound 80s-ish, then it is how I feared.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:14 PM
<tosses up horns for the entirety of post>

caption: Rob Halford and K.K. Downing making me want to come all over myself.

i saw Priest live at Ozzfest last year, and let me tell you...they should have re-named it "Priestfest" (blasphemy against Ozzy, i know but STILL!)

i'm a HUGE Priest fan (British Steel and Prisoners of Pain being my favorite albums). their music rocks, no question.

i am 'one of those' who prefers Rob to Ripper, but i don't doubt Ripper's talent; i just want my Halford...i'd STILL hit that man, never mind he loves the cock.

when he sings the line "and you come creeping around making me do things i don't wanna do" in The Green Manalishi, i nearly sin in my skirt, ladies and gents, no freaking lie.

a big, heavy metal breasty hug goes to Priest for rocking hard and still putting on a badass show after all these years; because of their performance, nine hours in blistering heat AND a 40 minute Slipknot set couldn't dissuade me from saying Ozzfest was definitely worth it.

Through Like Crue

~darchangel~
Old 01-10-2005, 02:52 PM
Quote:
I meant more in general this kind of attitude. Not just for Priest, but any band still making albums after twenty years. Classic rock, hard rock, metal, whatever.

Say you know someone who's a big Pink Floyd fan, ask them if they got The Division Bell and they'll be all like "What, naw, I just like Dark Side of the Moon."

Or people who just get Greatest Hits albums, yet claim to be "big fans."

Read most of the reviews for the Ripper albums on Amazon.com and you'll see what I mean.

I haven't heard their new single yet, but if it does indeed sound 80s-ish, then it is how I feared.
I disagree completely. I'm a fan of Metallica, but their new stuff sucks shit. St. Anger was a terrible album. This doesn't mean I'm not a fan of Metallica, but I can be selective of what I listen to. That's my right as a fan. Same for Priest. The older stuff is kick ass. And it isn't limited to one or two songs.

Judas Priest faves:

You Got Another Thing Coming
Breaking The Law
Living After Midnight
Screaming For Vengeance
Jawbreaker
Defenders Of The Faith
Turbo Lover
Heroes End

There's nothing wrong with liking older songs. Oh, and I own The Division Bell and A Momentary Lapse Of Reason. Both great albums, but I still like old Floyd better. (Especially Dark Side Of The Moon.) Sorry, it's just my preference.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by jeo4
I disagree completely. I'm a fan of Metallica, but their new stuff sucks shit. St. Anger was a terrible album. This doesn't mean I'm not a fan of Metallica, but I can be selective of what I listen to. That's my right as a fan. Same for Priest. The older stuff is kick ass. And it isn't limited to one or two songs.

There's nothing wrong with liking older songs. Oh, and I own The Division Bell and A Momentary Lapse Of Reason. Both great albums, but I still like old Floyd better. (Especially Dark Side Of The Moon.) Sorry, it's just my preference.
Ah, but at least you actually listened to them. Being a longtime fan, you still checked out what was new, instead of ignoring it all and tuning in the classic rock radio station again.

I prefer new Priest to old Priest, new Metallica to old Metallica, but I prefer old Dokken to new Dokken. And I prefer old, well, actually middle Iron Maiden to new Iron Maiden - but I still checked out Brave New World (bleh).
Old 01-11-2005, 05:00 AM
Quote:
new Metallica to old Metallica
Are you actually talking about Re-Load and St. Anger cause those albums blew lots of ass. Load is underrated and probably their fourth best album after MOP, RTL, and Justice.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank the Tank
Are you actually talking about Re-Load and St. Anger cause those albums blew lots of ass. Load is underrated and probably their fourth best album after MOP, RTL, and Justice.
Um, yes, I am. Load and Reload are from the same recording session, so how can one suck and one not?

I think Load is their best album. I'm a big fan of that particular sound (Load, Reload, Garage inc, S&M). Then the Black album. After that it's a total toss up. The only albums I don't like are Kill em All and Ride the Lightning. All the rest are good. Even the dreaded St Anger, which grew on me a lot after my first listen.

Anyway, as far as Judas Priest is concerned, I hope they don't even think about selling out with an 80's retro sound to get on radio, like Motley Crue did in 2000. I sencerly hope they keep the "heavy" in heavy metal and sound like they've been sounding on their last few albums. IE Demolition, Jugulator, Painkiller and Ressurection, Crucible, War of Words. None of these were radio friendly (save a couple Painkiller tracks, but that was a comletely different time than now). Just pure fucking metal.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Um, yes, I am. Load and Reload are from the same recording session, so how can one suck and one not?

I think Load is their best album. I'm a big fan of that particular sound (Load, Reload, Garage inc, S&M). Then the Black album. After that it's a total toss up. The only albums I don't like are Kill em All and Ride the Lightning. All the rest are good. Even the dreaded St Anger, which grew on me a lot after my first listen.

Well, they put all the good songs on Load and all the shitty songs on Reload. Therefore Reload sucks. Kill Em' All is really overrated though. Lots of filler and about 4 or 5 good songs. I think I'm sort of outgrowing Metallica anyways. The only albums I can really enjoy are Load, MOP, and Justice. Even Ride The Lightning can't get a whole lot of enjoyment out of me anymore.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:47 PM
It's funny. I think I'm the only person on the planet who thinks that Metallica got heavier with Load and Reload.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:43 PM
Heavier production doesn't equal heavier songs.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by therealjohng
It's funny. I think I'm the only person on the planet who thinks that Metallica got heavier with Load and Reload.
Lyrically I agree since songs like "The Outlaw Torn" are pretty heavy in that side. Musically songs like "Disposable Heroes" and "Dyers Eve" are heavier than both albums combined.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:18 PM
Oh man they're great! I'm going watching them in Manchester (England) next month. I do think it's out of order that Halford quit because most of the fans rejected him due to his homosexuality though.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:58 AM
Angel of Retribution is out now. Here's my exact review from Amazon (You oldschool fans won't like it):

I don't get it. After reading the glowing five-star reviews calling this album JP's best since Painkiller (it's not), or worse, thinking it's their first album SINCE Painkiller, I seriously wonder if anyone actually listened to Demolition or Jugulator. People are acting as if Judas Priest hasn't existed for the past ten years. Um, hello?

A lot of people seem to be clamoring for "Classic Priest" as if they want to go back to 1982. Quit living in the past. While you were unable to get past "Livin After Midnight," Judas Priest evolved into an unstopable metal machine, culminating in the spectacular metal masterpiece that was Demolition. Who the hell wants classic rock? Do you really want your bands to sound exactly the same way they did twenty years ago?

And I'm sick of the endless Ripper bashing, especially when considering Demolition. If you rip that album, then you don't know what metal is. I'll bet most of these fans never even listened to Ripper's albums, nor are even metal fans, at least current metal. They're just Priest fans of a bygone era who want "The good old days" back, just like the crybaby Metallica fans who haven't moved on past Master of Puppets.

Angel of Retribution is hands down one of the most lackluster, generic, by the numbers albums I've heard recently. It doesn't sound like an album, so much as ten filler tracks taken from ten other albums. None of the songs stand out. They all sound the same musically. Same beat, same tempo, same key. There isn't one memorable chorus. The gutair grinding is sub-par. And the vocals are woefully underwelming. The only thing showing any signs of life here are the drums, which a few times showed signs of reaching the thundering glory of the last two albums.

I consider Demolition of of the finest metal productions ever put together. It is an album of staggering quality and variety. Every song sounds different, yet they all fit together perfectly. Each song is a massive wall of sound, mixing roaring gutairs, thunderous drums, pitch perfect electronic distortion, and Ripper's monumental scream. There was 13 tracks and was a whopping 70 plus minutes long. Instant metal classics like "Machine Man," "Hell is Home," "Close to You," "Bloodsuckers," "Feed on Me," and "Metal Messiah." You couldn't ask for more.

Angel of Retribution doesn't come within earshot of matching it. Hell, Jugulator chews this up and spits it out. Ten tracks, of which only two cross the five minute mark. "Worth Fighting For," and "Angel" are the worst examples of filler. Toss em, cause they're useless. "Lochness" appeared for a moment to match the epic glory of Jugulator's "Cathedral Spires," but just turns into a random, thirteen minute mess that goes nowhere - slowly. This leaves the seven "metal" songs. They are fine for the most part. Heavy, but not that heavy. Fast, but not that fast. Oddly, they all sound the same. Like I said, no standout chorus, so you thing you're hearing the same song again and again. "Wheels of Fire" at times will make you think you're listening to Metallica's "Attitude" from Reload, because musically the melodies are near identical.

Could Tipten's writing ability have dropped this much from Demolition? Where is the variety? Where is the production values? The album sounds almost bare compaired to the Ripper albums. Nor does it compair to Halford's solo albums, which roared to life with tracks like "Betrayal," "Handing out Bullets," and "Wrath of God." Where's that energy? Where's that excitement? Never once does Halford test the limits of his vocal range. In fact, he highlights his weakness: Rob doesn't have the low-end octave range that Ripper has, so his voice sounds mousey and thin on the slower songs, as opposed to the aggressive growl that it should be.

The best songs I guess are "Hellrider," "Demonizer," and "Judas Rising." As a metal album, this one is strictly by the books. There is nothing of note beyond Halford coming back. I hold my metal to a high standard, a standard that Demolition achieved with flying colors. This is no Demolition. This is maybe a step above Ram it Down, but probably not.

Maybe on the next album they'll get over this "reunion" nonsense and crank out the metal album they should have.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:09 PM
Angel Of Retribution is a good album, and infinitely better than Demolition, which was nothing short of an embarassment to all that is good and holy about Judas Fucking Priest.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:48 AM
Fav Priest Albums:
Defenders of the Faith
Painkiller
Screaming For Vengeance
Stained Glass
Sin After Sin

Last edited by poopontheshoes7; 07-26-2012 at 10:51 AM..
Old 07-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Reading those old posts doesn't even sound like me anymore. I still stand by everything I said, it's just that I would have said it very differently now.

Oh, and Nostradamus was a fucking terrible album.