#41  
Old 07-25-2012, 07:55 PM
Also, just to note, I read an article some time ago that was an interview with Tom Cruise's ex-manager.

She told a story about how in the 90's Cruise saw a girl involved in a hit & run accident. Cruise called the ambulance that took her to the Hospital. Cruise's manger instructed him to contact the hospital and pay for her medical expenses, and tell no one. Why tell no one? Because the manager knew that when this woman got out of the hospital she would tell EVERYONE that Tom Cruise saved her life. All the while Cruise can blush on camera and play Mr. Humble when asked about this incident. This turned Tom Cruise from a superstar into a beloved superstar.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 07-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
You're misreading the thread and it's... Inappropriate?
So, it's inappropriate to think that exploiting a tragedy is wrong? I should just say "I love Bale too" because everyone else is, and if I don't follow the bandwagon it is inappropriate?

Well, Bale is a great guy. I'll forget that he was arrested for assaulting his mom, or his ridiculously idiotic and abusive rant toward his fellow filmmaker, or all the other jackass antics he is known for. He is a great guy, just like Mel Gibson!
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 07-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Quote:
She told a story about how in the 90's Cruise saw a girl involved in a hit & run accident. Cruise called the ambulance that took her to the Hospital. Cruise's manger instructed him to contact the hospital and pay for her medical expenses, and tell no one. Why tell no one? Because the manager knew that when this woman got out of the hospital she would tell EVERYONE that Tom Cruise saved her life. All the while Cruise can blush on camera and play Mr. Humble when asked about this incident. This turned Tom Cruise from a superstar into a beloved superstar.
And your conclusion is... Look at how cynical these public relations are? The first thing I thought about was cool this girl got all of her medical expenses paid for. Why do you put so much emphasis on the petty intentions of public image when the actions are still positive. Worst case scenario, everybody wins. Girl gets her expenses paid for and Cruise gets positive publicity. Booo?
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 07-25-2012, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
Also, just to note, I read an article some time ago that was an interview with Tom Cruise's ex-manager.

She told a story about how in the 90's Cruise saw a girl involved in a hit & run accident. Cruise called the ambulance that took her to the Hospital. Cruise's manger instructed him to contact the hospital and pay for her medical expenses, and tell no one. Why tell no one? Because the manager knew that when this woman got out of the hospital she would tell EVERYONE that Tom Cruise saved her life. All the while Cruise can blush on camera and play Mr. Humble when asked about this incident. This turned Tom Cruise from a superstar into a beloved superstar.
You can't twist this story to fit your argument. First he shows up with a bunch of cameras, and now it's a conspiracy that he intentionally didn't tell anyone so that it would attract attention. I think you should probably reevaluate what you've said in this thread. He lifted the spirits of victims of the largest mass shooting in American history. Anything else that stemmed from it in his favor kind of doesn't matter.

Also, I don't think working in the gaffing department for Rescue Dawn makes you an expert on who Bale is as a person.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 07-25-2012, 08:16 PM
If somebody doesn't start insulting me right the fuck now I'm going to feel left out
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 07-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
First he shows up with a bunch of cameras,
I still don't get how me making a hypothetical comment of "If I were in the Hospital and Bale showed up with a bunch of cameras... blah blah" is me saying that Bale had a team of cameramen with him. Do you also think that I was in the hospital too? Because I wasn't. I wasn't in Colorado. Just to clear things up again, I wasn't in a hospital room where Bale suddenly burst into my room with a bunch of cameras. It was an offhand sarcastic hypothetical remark.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 07-25-2012, 08:20 PM
yes l think it is great that Christian took his time out to see some of the injured people who were shot by James Holmes

it shows how great this actor is

He didnt have to do this it shows he has passion for others
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 07-25-2012, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
If somebody doesn't start insulting me right the fuck now I'm going to feel left out
Your sadface smiley is kind of lame... ?

Sorry, that was a funny comment. It wasn't lame. Wish I could be of more help.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 07-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
And he has to make sure the entire world knows he is doing something nice or else it would be pointless.
Christian didnt have to visit the injured he done it through feeling for what they went through
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 07-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Bob Loblaw, first things first.....




Now, how exactly is he exploiting a tragedy by visiting victims of a movie that he starred in by coming in unannounced and under the media's radar? If he was exploiting it, he would have made a big spectacle of it. He was present at the vigil, met with the staff taking care of the victims, met with each victim individually, and lifted the spirits of those involved. Who gives a flying rat fuck what he did in the past? Are people not allowed to do good things anymore? You have some serious issues man. You clearly have an issue seeing the good natured things people can do. Am I saying I'm a bigger fan of his now for doing this? No. But I appreciate the fact that he went out of his way to pay tribute to the victims. I'm pretty certain his motivations weren't of ill-intent, i.e. a PR stunt. He himself didn't a big deal out of it, the fans and the media did....and then there's people like you that can't see anything good out of decent acts of kindness. Congrats sir. I hope your elitist gaffing jobs give us all the intel on how celebs really are. We could really use more of you in this world.../sarcasm.

Don't ever own a pet because I'd hate to hear about what happened to it when it shits on your carpet, especially when you have had a bad day because that pet could be exploiting it. Same with kids, too. Just continue being a negative, miserable person in the internet. You've done well enough already.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 07-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Not to go off topic, but I find it kind of unsettling that some people get so overly angry over an internet nobody saying something negative about a person they don't know. It's kind of scary to think about, and it kind of puts this shooting into perspective.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 07-25-2012, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
Not to go off topic, but I find it kind of unsettling that some people get so overly angry over an internet nobody saying something negative about a person they don't know.
I find it kind of unsettling that some people get so overly angry over an internet nobody saying something positive about a person they don't know.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 07-25-2012, 08:45 PM
I do think the Christian did make the visit to the hospitol because he felt sorry for the vistims
if l was in his position l would do the same
You see when celebs makes movies you dont expect something like a shooting to happen and there is alot of greif not only do we have the injured we have the deaths too

Having a star like Christion turn up might help with the healing of the injured patients
And having a star like Christian turn up might help the injured recover
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 07-25-2012, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
Not to go off topic, but I find it kind of unsettling that some people get so overly angry over an internet nobody saying something negative about a person they don't know. It's kind of scary to think about, and it kind of puts this shooting into perspective.
I find it unsettling how negative and hateful you seem to be regarding who Bale is as a person. You say you've worked on Rescue Dawn as a gaffer? Did you happen to meet Mr. Bale? Did he spit in your face? Fart in your mouth? Attempt to rape you or something? Because if not, your ridiculous disdain for him is absolutely asinine IMO. ESPECIALLY in light of the fact he's done something positive for the victims of this horrific tragedy, no matter what YOU think his motives are/were.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 07-25-2012, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
I find it kind of unsettling that some people get so overly angry over an internet nobody saying something positive about a person they don't know.
I'm not angry over anyone who disagrees with me. But the messages I get over saying something negative about a popular actor is ridiculous. Apparently saying something against the All Mighty Bale makes me a worthless human being.

It's kind of like how those critics got death threats for giving TDKR a negative review.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 07-25-2012, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
Not to go off topic, but I find it kind of unsettling that some people get so overly angry over an internet nobody saying something negative about a person they don't know. It's kind of scary to think about, and it kind of puts this shooting into perspective.
Well all l can say is to ignore posts that upset you and go to the ones that have abit more interest

I can not beleive how some threads can have so many twists and turns
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 07-25-2012, 08:54 PM
NOTE: Disagreeing is FINE. INSULTING each other is NOT.

Tone it down, please. You can disagree without calling names, insulting, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 07-25-2012, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
But the messages I get over saying something negative about a popular actor is ridiculous. Apparently saying something against the All Mighty Bale makes me a worthless human being.
I think the reactions you are getting to your posts have less to do with Christian Bale and more to do with your opinion that he exploited this tragedy.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 07-25-2012, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
But then these same kids look up to this athlete and view him as an idol. Then they emulate their heroes. I meet on guy who actually believes that date rape isn't a bad thing, it's just part of having a good time. Guess who his heroes are (and have been since he was a kid)?
You can't blame celebrities for the way our culture worships them. There was a very public facebook campaign to get Christian Bale to dress up in the Batsuit and visit these kids in the hospital. I think the Batsuit idea was pretty bad, but it's a nice gesture that Bale took the time to visit them. The campaign was going viral and Christian may have looked pretty bad if he refused, it was just a matter of time before somebody brought it to his attention publicly, and put him on the spot as to why he hasn't visited yet. He's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Even if it helps him look good in hindsight, he managed to bring some joy and excitement to these victims for one afternoon. It's obvious that he didn't bring any type of publicity crew at all. All of the pictures are quite amateurish cell phone photos that were posted by the victims themselves. So any conclusion that Bale is doing this solely for PR reasons is a product of your own cynicism, I'm willing to give Bale the benefit of the doubt.

I have to say that your dismissal as others defending the "all mighty Bale" and ridiculous claims that they are masturbating to Christian is as insulting as anything that's been posted here.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
So, it's inappropriate to think that exploiting a tragedy is wrong?
Nope, but I think there are many people that are far more guilty of this than Christian Bale. The media is running this story 24/7. They are actively exploiting this tragedy, and as somebody who works for a news station, it makes me sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
Well, Bale is a great guy. I'll forget that he was arrested for assaulting his mom, or his ridiculously idiotic and abusive rant toward his fellow filmmaker, or all the other jackass antics he is known for. He is a great guy, just like Mel Gibson!
Would you care to go into all the other jackass antics he is known for? Bale is human, and has made some mistakes, but he's no Mel Gibson.

Last edited by DaveyJoeG; 07-25-2012 at 09:21 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 07-25-2012, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Not to go off topic, but I find it kind of unsettling that some people get so overly angry over an internet nobody saying something negative about a person they don't know. It's kind of scary to think about, and it kind of puts this shooting into perspective.
Comments like it kind of puts this shooting into perspective could be more responsible for getting people riled than criticizing an actor. But like I said, I think a lot of the flack is coming from people who feel your criticism is getting in the way of their catharsis, or their idea of their catharsis, or some kind of public healing process, and that makes a lot of sense to me. It's just an awkward thread for attacking Bale. I don't really care about public relations in the shadow of a tragic shooting, so any accusation leveled at Bale is going to come off petty in contrast. Everybody here knows that the next guy over has no better reason to like a celebrity than they do to dislike a celebrity, so it's usually pretty mutual. Although some of the replies to your posts have been out of line, so I'm trying to be mindful that you didn't escalate it first and you weren't the one to get personal first.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 07-25-2012, 09:20 PM
First thing's first, that's nice of him to do that - no issues there, whether he did it early like that, or had he done this a few months from now, it's still nice.

However, I just can't help it but sense double standard with a lot of the comments. When Sean Penn shows up at a critical moment somewhere, he's called a PR opportunist, but when Bale does this he's loved by all.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 07-25-2012, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
However, I just can't help it but sense double standard with a lot of the comments. When Sean Penn shows up at a critical moment somewhere, he's called a PR opportunist, but when Bale does this he's loved by all.
That's probably more to do with Penn's tone. I mean when he does it, he actually brings his own camera crew, then makes some statements about the rest of the world making him fucking sick for not having the same initiative.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 07-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
If somebody doesn't start insulting me right the fuck now I'm going to feel left out
Um, your name sucks because Bleach, Soul Eater, Death Note, Black Butler, and any other references to Shinigami also suck. There, happy?

Anyway, thread-related. Not sure why we're still on this. Seems like people are making the same arguments over and over again.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 07-25-2012, 09:52 PM
^Yeah but Erroneous and Kenshin made good early points before it even got into this argument over our impressions of Bale's intentions. No matter what his intentions, his visit cheered people up after they were injured in a midnight shooting. Aaand nothing else really matters. Bale's intentions are almost irrelevant. It's another situation where a celebrity donates to a humanitarian cause and somebody raises questions of whether or not the celebrity did it just to get attention, as if that's the point. The point is the donation to the humanitarian effort. The point is the blockbuster star visiting the injured in the hospital. Right?
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 07-25-2012, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
Anyway, thread-related. Not sure why we're still on this.
Because going on and on about how great Christian Bale is for doing this is just plain boring.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 07-25-2012, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
Would you care to go into all the other jackass antics he is known for? Bale is human, and has made some mistakes, but he's no Mel Gibson.
Yeah I guess it all boils down to which is worse? Beating your wife, like Gibson did, or beating your mom, like Bale did? I guess beating your wife is worse. Bale did only beat his mom. After all he is only human, we all beat our moms every once in a while. No big deal.

Guess Gibson needs to pick a tragedy and visit the victims to be a great guy again.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 07-26-2012, 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
Yeah I guess it all boils down to which is worse? Beating your wife, like Gibson did, or beating your mom, like Bale did? I guess beating your wife is worse. Bale did only beat his mom. After all he is only human, we all beat our moms every once in a while. No big deal.

Guess Gibson needs to pick a tragedy and visit the victims to be a great guy again.
Bale never beat his mother. He was arrested for alleged assault, which doesn't necessarily imply physical contact. The worst thing I saw reported was that he pushed her aside. I don't know where you're getting the idea that he beat his mother, aside from some out of control rumors circa 2008.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 07-26-2012, 01:11 AM
Bob Loblaw has made a convincing argument and changed my mind. I don't think anyone should appreciate what Bale did.

In other news, I went and visited my grandfather-inlaw at the hospital. I called the local media but they hung up on me.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 07-26-2012, 10:36 AM
I don't know much about Bale's past as far as the yelling at the film crew or assault charges. I've gotten into arguments with my wife, yelled at her, upset her. I apologize to her, we make up, and we move on. Who knows what the circumstances were after what we heard from the media? The outburst against the Terminator crew was 3 years ago; nothing came from the assault charges and he never served jail time. So who knows what happened? He may be difficult to be around, but visiting the shooting victims is the definition of "cool." He gave them a memory from the incident that doesn't involve being shot or shot at while watching a movie he starred in.

I don't think it was a PR stunt simply because he made no statement to the media. There are no Christian Bale soundbites or even any video of him visiting the victims or memorial sites. Just fan pictures from the victims. If it's a publicity stunt, then all he got out of it was a couple of fan pictures from Facebook and Twitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
In other news, I went and visited my grandfather-inlaw at the hospital. I called the local media but they hung up on me.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 07-26-2012, 03:04 PM
What was Bale supposed to do when the 2 (?) people asked to take pictures with him? Say no? What?

Also, he did it so people on internet forums will say that he rules? I think you overestimate us.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post

In other news, I went and visited my grandfather-inlaw at the hospital. I called the local media but they hung up on me.
You PR opportunist.

Last edited by Tweek; 07-26-2012 at 03:18 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 07-26-2012, 03:20 PM
I think the problem Mr. Loblaw is this:

You are saying that Bale did this as a PR move... he showed up with a plethora of cameras to take photos.

but the facts do not support such a claim... the only picture(s) that have come out are those of low grade cell phone cameras taken by the victims and their families and then posted to their respective social medias account.

This isnt a case of Sean Penn going to New Orleans with his own professional photographer... this is the case of Bale, no matter if it was of his own volition or he was pressured into going by his PR team, going there and spending time with these people.

I have no doubts that Bale might be an ass hole to the below the line crew, it sounds plausible... but here, the evidence you have does not substantiate your claim!

I have worked on film sets as well and worked with some real ass holes and some really nice people, and i can understand your claims here, saying you have worked with him and he was an ass hole, and in that it doesnt seem he would just go visit these victims... but in this case, it seems like Bale went there to visit these victims with no motive other than to show solidarity with people who simply wanted be the first to see a movie he worked so hard to make.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 07-27-2012, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
^Yeah but Erroneous and Kenshin made good early points before it even got into this argument over our impressions of Bale's intentions. No matter what his intentions, his visit cheered people up after they were injured in a midnight shooting. Aaand nothing else really matters. Bale's intentions are almost irrelevant. It's another situation where a celebrity donates to a humanitarian cause and somebody raises questions of whether or not the celebrity did it just to get attention, as if that's the point. The point is the donation to the humanitarian effort. The point is the blockbuster star visiting the injured in the hospital. Right?
I'm with this.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 07-27-2012, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
Yeah I guess it all boils down to which is worse? Beating your wife, like Gibson did, or beating your mom, like Bale did? I guess beating your wife is worse. Bale did only beat his mom. After all he is only human, we all beat our moms every once in a while. No big deal.

Guess Gibson needs to pick a tragedy and visit the victims to be a great guy again.
Umm l have to qestion this Bob
mel Gibson didnt beat his wife he verbly abused her

if he bashed her there would have been bruises
His exwife was a gold digger who was afrer his money
I think Mel should have stuck with his first wife who gave so much and took so much
If Mel gave up the drinking he wouldnt have the problems he has now
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 07-27-2012, 07:56 PM
Also l think what Christian did was wonderful at least he didnt sit back and watch from the background he went out to be with the victims and the smiles on there faces proved that his visit was wrth while
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 07-27-2012, 09:17 PM
I know Bale hollered at the DP shooting Terminator:Salvation. I don't care because it seems to be resolved. I realize he had a physical altercation with family members. I don't care about that either. People make mistakes. I don't see the need to drag him through the mud.

What I do know is I saw a story with no professional cameras involved and happy victims tweeting their own pics. What the media heard from the studio is he was there on his own, not as a representative. They had no idea he was going to show up. This doesn't make him an instant hero, but it was a hell of a thing to do for the victims. I won't make more out of it than it is. All I can say is good on him for caring enough to be there.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 07-27-2012, 11:00 PM
A nice thing to do for sure but whether it was done all off his own back I'm not so sure. He's a celebrity and celebrities are always on the prowl for good PR oppertunites make no mistake about it.

We all know the kinda guy he is already, not exactly a nice guy I'm afraid, typical mega billionaire movie star. Its not his fault I must add, this is how most movie stars turn out...PR hunting narcissistic money grabbers.

Whose to say what went on behind closed doors, who's decision it was, whether WB had anything to do with it, if money is involved, film promotion etc...I highly doubt it was all for smiles.

End of the day he did a nice thing yes, but don't believe everything you see or read (surely you all must know that).
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 07-28-2012, 01:10 AM
Bondgirl changed my mind back. What Bale did was cool.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 07-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbs View Post
A nice thing to do for sure but whether it was done all off his own back I'm not so sure. He's a celebrity and celebrities are always on the prowl for good PR oppertunites make no mistake about it.

We all know the kinda guy he is already, not exactly a nice guy I'm afraid, typical mega billionaire movie star. Its not his fault I must add, this is how most movie stars turn out...PR hunting narcissistic money grabbers.

Whose to say what went on behind closed doors, who's decision it was, whether WB had anything to do with it, if money is involved, film promotion etc...I highly doubt it was all for smiles.

End of the day he did a nice thing yes, but don't believe everything you see or read (surely you all must know that).
This may be completely correct, but it was his movie the victims were seeing and it was still the right thing to do. Some things should just be taken at face value.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 08-21-2012, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the clever guy View Post
Bob Loblaw, first things first.....




Now, how exactly is he exploiting a tragedy by visiting victims of a movie that he starred in by coming in unannounced and under the media's radar? If he was exploiting it, he would have made a big spectacle of it. He was present at the vigil, met with the staff taking care of the victims, met with each victim individually, and lifted the spirits of those involved. Who gives a flying rat fuck what he did in the past? Are people not allowed to do good things anymore? You have some serious issues man. You clearly have an issue seeing the good natured things people can do. Am I saying I'm a bigger fan of his now for doing this? No. But I appreciate the fact that he went out of his way to pay tribute to the victims. I'm pretty certain his motivations weren't of ill-intent, i.e. a PR stunt. He himself didn't a big deal out of it, the fans and the media did....and then there's people like you that can't see anything good out of decent acts of kindness. Congrats sir. I hope your elitist gaffing jobs give us all the intel on how celebs really are. We could really use more of you in this world.../sarcasm.

Don't ever own a pet because I'd hate to hear about what happened to it when it shits on your carpet, especially when you have had a bad day because that pet could be exploiting it. Same with kids, too. Just continue being a negative, miserable person in the internet. You've done well enough already.
Nicely put.
Good reminder about the not to own a pet part.
Unappreciative type of person is hard to be with, no matter as someone close to him or as his pets.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 09-07-2012, 04:31 PM

Like I said before, Bale flat out rules.





http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=66919
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump