Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Celeb Talk/Gossip
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2012, 01:39 PM
Dane Cook makes a joke about the theater shoointg

Cook joked that "The Dark Knight Rises" is such a bad movie that " ... if none of that would have happened, I'm pretty sure that somebody in that theater, about 25 minutes in, realizing it was a piece of crap, was probably like, ‘Ugh, fucking shoot me.’”

The joke was met with a few groans, but they quickly gave way to laughter and then applause.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1710221.html
Old 07-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Sorry I completely butchered the thread title. Should be "shooting"
Old 07-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Is this guy still relevant? I haven't heard about him in ages.

But yeah bullshit move. First off, calling TDKR "crap" with the movies this guy was churning out is just ridiculous. But yeah, I liked a little Dane back in the day but with jokes like these he deserves to be the Nickelback of the comedy industry.

Last edited by AspectRatio1986; 07-27-2012 at 02:01 PM..
Old 07-27-2012, 02:53 PM
It wasn't the topic but the fact that it was poorly conceived. He could have made the joke without directly referencing the shooting and I think it would have been a lot better.

"I saw TDKR last weekend and wow, what a piece of shit movie that was. 25 minutes in, I just wanted someone to shoot me."

But no, it's Cook so he milks the whole thing for everything it's worth. The guy is like masturbation for 7 and 70 year olds. Wank, wank, wank, wank… then little or no payoff.

A lot of comedians can and will joke about this tragedy and it will work but the truth is that Cook is Cook.

Huffington Post asks about crossing the line, and I say no. The only crossing the line I saw was a slide show that indirectly compares Cook to the likes of many other better comedians.

And I didn't notice the thread title being butchered, all I saw was a topical bad taste joke get butchered.

I will say one thing in fairness to Cook and that is that no one should have been taping his performance. Comedians aren't screenwriters. They are more like musicians who perfect their work through performance and trying it out on new audiences. Chances are, if we hear Cook making this joke weeks from now, the delivery and the execution will be improved. I'm not fan of his but what he did has more integrity than assholes who use their cell phones to tape live performances. Remember the old days, when people used to go to live shows to, you know, watch the show. What the hell do you assholes do with this stuff anyway? Do you go back home and watch it on shitty video and say, "Man, that was so great. I was there… recording it with the free camera I got from Sprint!!!"
Old 07-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Sorry I completely butchered the thread title. Should be "shooting"
Give yourself some credit: "Shoointg" sounds like something pretty sexy.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
But no, it's Cook so he milks the whole thing for everything it's worth. The guy is like masturbation for 7 and 70 year olds. Wank, wank, wank, wank… then little or no payoff.

A lot of comedians can and will joke about this tragedy and it will work but the truth is that Cook is Cook.
I agree. It's the same with the Daniel Tosh controversy. Tosh is another guy who seems to have a little too much fun telling his jokes. Whenever you want to joke about a sensitive subject, you need comedians with a developed sense of irony or sarcasm to tell it. Carlin frequently made jokes about bozos who went crazy and shot a bunch of people and never really got in trouble for it.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:30 PM
He didn't cross the line.

I don't really find him funny, but I do agree with his sentiments about TDKR. That movie is 100% hyperbole.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:00 PM
people are free to copy and paste this onto the end of their posts

And then I remembered I told a joke about the theater shooting too.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:24 PM
I would be offended if I didn't hear that same joke not an hour after I heard about the shooting.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:31 PM
How original. Dane Cook is the bane of standup comedy (get it? I'm here all week), and he should quit and move into the mountains where no one can see him anymore.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:23 PM
The only way you can get away with making offensive jokes is if they are funny.

Which is why we are talking about this.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Reminds me of a South Park episode about AIDS now being funny. Saying that some other topical jokes were too early and AIDS time has come and you can now make AIDS jokes.

Way too early to be making jokes like this. Just in poor taste. If the guy just kills himself, you can make jokes, but fuck that was in really poor taste.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsyder View Post
The only way you can get away with making offensive jokes is if they are funny.
Yup, that's bullshit, all right...
Old 07-27-2012, 11:57 PM
I kinda disagree that a comedian can get away with a tragic joke if its funny, at least THIS early, Woody Allen said it best in one his better movies "Comedy is tragedy plus time."

Dane Cook was never funny to begin with, as some of you said already he's WAY to fucking talky and just fucking drags too much. Thats not comedy, thats a headache.

And the whole TDKR is crap thing...I understand it was the weakest of the three films ,but it by no means sucked. If Dane ever is in a movie which is a commercial and critical success, makes something which makes half a billion dollars and at the very least, makes a movie which gets a fresh rating on rotten tomatoes, then he take a crack at Nolan, but definitely not now.

But hey, he thought Good Luck Chuck was a good idea...
Old 07-28-2012, 12:11 AM
the only good thing dana cook did well was
Spoiler:
die a great death in mr, brooks
Old 07-28-2012, 02:14 AM
I don't think anything is necessarily off limits in comedy, but Cook (not that I'm too familiar with his work) never seemed the type for offensive humor. I thought he was just... I don't know. Weird?

I don't know how relevant time is. Chris Rock's Bigger and Blacker special aired on HBO on July 10, 1999. I'm not sure when it was actually taped, but clearly, it was less than 4 months after Columbine. And the bit he did on Columbine was HILARIOUS.

Then again, maybe I'm just ok with it because it was actually funny. "What ever happened to crazy?"
Old 07-28-2012, 03:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
I don't think anything is necessarily off limits in comedy, but Cook (not that I'm too familiar with his work) never seemed the type for offensive humor. I thought he was just... I don't know. Weird?

I don't know how relevant time is. Chris Rock's Bigger and Blacker special aired on HBO on July 10, 1999. I'm not sure when it was actually taped, but clearly, it was less than 4 months after Columbine. And the bit he did on Columbine was HILARIOUS.

Then again, maybe I'm just ok with it because it was actually funny. "What ever happened to crazy?"

I kind of think that the difference with Rock's bit and Cook's bit is that Rock just says things that are funny. It's a lot like most of the best comedians, with some exceptions in their acts. They talk and what they say is funny. The difference with Cook and this joke, is that he sets it up like a joke. How he talked about the shooting to lead in to a punchline was the equivalent of saying something like "A Pollock and a Jew walk into a bar." You know, so people were groaning before he ever got to the punchline. Had he just slipped the whole thing in there in a line, people would have groaned, but there wouldn't have been the whole preconceived, "Ah shit, here we go" going into it.

Rock's bit (2 months after Columbine), he starts being funny before he makes the reference to the tragedy. And I think that's the big difference. He is saying a lot of things surrounding the tragedy, and it's all funny. Rock was actually talking about "kids today" and using Columbine as his example. Whereas Cook could have done a bit on Dark Knight Rises and then made the same "shoot me" joke, and it probably would have worked AND come off a lot better. Instead, Cook is talking about the shooting, and then uses it as a punchline for what is essentially a joke about The Dark Knight Rises.

If Cook had stolen Rock's joke, it might have been like, Yeah there was that shooting in Columbine. All those kids got shot. Wow, then they shot themselves. Kids are crazy today. If I get on an elevator with kids, I'm going to be like "watch out!"
Old 07-28-2012, 03:32 AM
When having lunch with a couple friends, they brought up the shooting.
A buddy said, "I mean even a six year old girl was killed."
I said, "yeah that's terrible. It doesn't make sense"
"Yeah it's terrible that there are so many monsters in this world."
I said, "what's a six year old doing in a PG-13 movie? Doesn't make sense."

More ironic is that he's from New Zealand and didn't know that kids COULD go to a PG-13 movie in the theater at all. So I told him it was just a tasteless joke, but yeah any kid can go to a PG-13 or R rated movie with an accompanying adult or guardian.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:05 AM
Welcome to the internet age where nothing is "too soon" anymore.

Actually i'm not saying it's bad , just saying i'm part of the jaded crowd.

For me , I think it all goes back to the anthrax attack shortly after 9/11 ..... people where asking the metal band Anthrax to change their name because it was negative now. They did ( as a joke ) changed it to "Basketful of puppies" for a month or 2 so people would back off. A "Basketful of puppies" doesn't exist btw.

Now Gangster Squad wants to redo a scene because the trailer showed a scene where a gangster shoots people in a theater ( being a preview to TDKR was the jackpot of bad timing ).

Shit happens , deal with it ! Stop trying to mold society into something it's not.

I never found Dane Cook funny but i won't throw stone at him because the joke is misguided .... he should have really focus fire on THE WATCH premiere.

It all goes back to the simplified 3 degrees of separation rule

(1= personnal) - Dude cuts me off on the highway , i wanna ram his car down
(2= entourage) - Dude touches my girlfriend's ass in a club , i'm gonna punch him
(3= unknown people) - Dude guns down and kills 12 people in a theater some 2000 miles from my home , it's sad but it doesn't affect me.

Each degree makes for a less violent response when the reverse should be law ..... meaning if you touch my girlfriend's ass , i'm still gonna punch you !

Sad ( really it is ) but true.

If it's not related to us directly , we shrug it off like a fly squashed on the windshield of the car of our lives.

Last edited by Dirtyfrog; 07-28-2012 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 07-28-2012, 08:34 AM
I'm all about the funny.
This guy wouldn't know what funny was if it kicked him in the crotch. (THAT would be hilarious)

To joke about a horrible thing like this might be funny to some.
Thank god you haven't experienced something happen like that to someone in your life, a family member or friend.
So you can justify it being poor taste but just a joke.
Would you tell that joke if you were doing a show in the town where it happened?
It's poor taste but it's just a joke, right?
Dane-O, buddy?
I'd suggest that he grow up but that would mean enduring him even longer.
Tragedy isn't funny.
If you find it to be a knee slapper, more power to you.
I'm all about the funny. There's nothing funny about people dying and someone joking about it.

Just the Rust-man's opinion.
Rust-man...
Old 07-28-2012, 09:12 AM
It's offensive because it's shit.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCoverVersion View Post
Basically this.

As an aside, I didn't even realize Dane Cook was still around?
Old 07-28-2012, 01:14 PM
I find it hard to take someone named "Dane" seriously. Second, the guy is crap. I admit that I have a problem with stand up guys that aren't on the level of Hicks and Carlin. If you're not at that level, I'm not very interested in hearing you. Maybe that makes me tough to please... So whatever. But this guy is maybe a half step up from Larry the Cable Guy and Jeff Foxworthy at best.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:43 PM
As cool as it has been to hate on Cook for the last few years, I can't lie and say I'm not a fan. I like the guy. He's got great stage presence and energy and while his act has gotten stale I love his first three comedy albums and stand-up shows.

As for the joke itself, I agree it would have been funnier if it was broader and not about TDKR itself.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:25 PM
Quote:
As cool as it has been to hate on Cook for the last few years, I can't lie and say I'm not a fan. I like the guy. He's got great stage presence and energy and while his act has gotten stale I love his first three comedy albums and stand-up shows.
You and me poop. You and me. I wouldn't wipe you off my shoe.

I don't even think his act has gotten stale. He's a good performer and he's versatile.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCoverVersion View Post
There, I said it...well, I agree with it.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:32 AM
Meh, I made up pretty much the same joke in my head the moment I first heard the story break. Something to the effect of: "I guess I'm not the only one who didn't like those movies."

I always liked Dane Cook, but haven't watched any of his stuff in years. Once he started performing college campuses instead of comedy clubs, it got pretty annoying. The crowds were cheering like it was a rock concert, not a comedy show. All rhythm was lost.

Hell, I heard people telling 9/11 jokes by lunchtime ON 9/11. But, please, feel free to get butthurt over your perfect storm of hating Dane Cook and loving Dark Knight.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
Meh, I made up pretty much the same joke in my head the moment I first heard the story break. Something to the effect of: "I guess I'm not the only one who didn't like those movies."

I always liked Dane Cook, but haven't watched any of his stuff in years. Once he started performing college campuses instead of comedy clubs, it got pretty annoying. The crowds were cheering like it was a rock concert, not a comedy show. All rhythm was lost.

Hell, I heard people telling 9/11 jokes by lunchtime ON 9/11. But, please, feel free to get butthurt over your perfect storm of hating Dane Cook and loving Dark Knight.
The guy's a hack regardless of what he thinks about The Dark Knight Rises. As if he has any room to talk with all the garbage that he has been in. This guy is total suckage.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post

"Projecting Butthurt: A Defense of Dane Cook in 3-Parts" -- The new post by Badbird. Own it now.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:36 AM
What's a Dane Cook?
Is it the new convention cooker being hocked by the slapchop perv?
You're gonna love my nuts.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:51 AM
Yep, just further proof of how much of a douche this guy is.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Thread title oxymoron level = code red
Old 07-29-2012, 11:01 AM
I'm more offended by what he said about Rises than I am about the shooting.

I can see the headlines now:
Comedian Tells Joke!!!
Old 07-29-2012, 11:37 AM
I have absolutely no problem with offensive jokes regarding tragedies. I'm a huge South Park fan and they told a 9/11 joke in The Aristocrats film which I thought was hilarious.

Its just that Dane Cook's joke was pretty bad and not funny at all. It fell flat imo. His fanbase is basically idiotic sorority girls and some frat boys.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:53 PM
He did what every low-rent comic just like him does. He went for cheap and easy laughs and used shock value to stir up an audience reaction. I don't care that he did it. It was just what I expected from Dane Cook anyway.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:43 PM
^But lots of comics admit using shock value to stir up the audience. Mainly because comics have this whole crowd rapport, part of which involves ways to rile folks. Carlin, Hicks, Rickles, Kinison, and plenty of contemporary out-of-tempo guys like Rogan, Izzard, Mohr, Chappelle, Silverman, Stanhope, Tosh. Even acts like like Maron. Even John Oliver! And I want to emphasize that I'm not extrapolating shit. This is straight up. Every now and again you get a blowhard who categorizes his shock value as 'truth', claiming that label doesn't come from his process but the dumbed down audiences who can't handle the real world coming at them, but with rare exceptions (Pryor, Hicks) the comedian is exploring taboos for the sake of exploring taboos. Which I think is a totally valid reason to explore taboos, and for those of us who haven't been shot, imprisoned or prostituted, it's the only reason we really have. Crowd rapport is part of their craft, and I think negative crowds are an even bigger part of their foundations considering how often upcomers have to bomb before they find their crowds. It's one thing not to find Cook funny, but I don't know if his process is that different from other comedians. He hasn't been doing stand up for awhile. I think he has been playing around with it a year on now, but he took a big break and this was a recorded improvisation at a club (as other schmoes have pointed out).

All of which is my roundabout way of saying nuh uh dane cook is too funny! stupidface!

I know, I know.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
"Projecting Butthurt: A Defense of Dane Cook in 3-Parts" -- The new post by Badbird. Own it now.
Based on your avatar, I understand why you would be sensitive around Dane Cook, But I honest think Harmful if Swallowed and (to a lessor extent) Retaliation were hilarious albums.

And any chance to tee up a sacred cow like TDK and let it fly? Well, that's just a bonus.

Anyway, it's all about to become full circle, because there's something you didn't know about the theater that night...

Old 07-30-2012, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
^But lots of comics admit using shock value to stir up the audience. Mainly because comics have this whole crowd rapport, part of which involves ways to rile folks. Carlin, Hicks, Rickles, Kinison, and plenty of contemporary out-of-tempo guys like Rogan, Izzard, Mohr, Chappelle, Silverman, Stanhope, Tosh. Even acts like like Maron. Even John Oliver! And I want to emphasize that I'm not extrapolating shit. This is straight up. Every now and again you get a blowhard who categorizes his shock value as 'truth', claiming that label doesn't come from his process but the dumbed down audiences who can't handle the real world coming at them, but with rare exceptions (Pryor, Hicks) the comedian is exploring taboos for the sake of exploring taboos. Which I think is a totally valid reason to explore taboos, and for those of us who haven't been shot, imprisoned or prostituted, it's the only reason we really have. Crowd rapport is part of their craft, and I think negative crowds are an even bigger part of their foundations considering how often upcomers have to bomb before they find their crowds. It's one thing not to find Cook funny, but I don't know if his process is that different from other comedians. He hasn't been doing stand up for awhile. I think he has been playing around with it a year on now, but he took a big break and this was a recorded improvisation at a club (as other schmoes have pointed out).

All of which is my roundabout way of saying nuh uh dane cook is too funny! stupidface!

I know, I know.
Well, at least this is a sane argument. Thanks for that.

You make excellent points about timing, delivery, and experimentation in comedy. Anyone not in the business of comedy doesn't really go through this process, so some comics catch hell for any little thing. This is no exception, really.

I don't mind hearing most of these comics you mentioned either, save for Sarah Silverman, and Doug Stanhope. Silverman I just never caught on to and Doug Stanhope is just awful to me.

Shock value depends on what and how. There are varying degrees of intelligence in all of these guys. Sam Kinison was just a mean little monster I never took too seriously, no matter what he said. He just always made me laugh. I guess that there could be several people that feel that way about Dane Cook.

Bill Hicks was brilliant because a lot of what he said made sense. He put more thought into his act. He had to have the timing and the delivery, just like every other comic, which he did of course. And it was so good, people still talk about it decades later. I see the same thought and development in the acts of comics like Lewis Black and John Oliver.

You're right about Richard Pryor, too. He was the best at what he did for a long time. Once again, he put more thought into the material and he delivered very well.

Simply put, Dane Cook irritates me. He rubs me the wrong way and his material usually isn't great. That's one opinion out of millions, so take it at face value. I realize every comic has to develop their act one way or another. Taboo discussions aside (something that should just be forgiven of comics anyway regardless of whom), I just happen to not like most of his act.

I just finished Steve Martin's autobiography called "Born Standing Up". It covered his time as a comic and how he had to experiment and develop as a comic, like several here have mentioned. The book is a good example of the process comics go through to create their act and develop a relationship with the audience in the process. There were times it worked for him and times it just fell flat. If you haven't checked it out, I'd say it's worth the time to read.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:31 AM
Yeah this just wasn't funny. My opinion on jokes like this.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:10 PM
The only way Dane Cook crossed the line is by continuing to do comedy...or rather "comedy."