Old 08-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Total Recall

Directed by Len Wiseman

Written by Kurt Wimmer and Mark Bomback

Genre: Sci-Fi/Action

Plot Outline: A factory worker, Douglas Quaid, begins to suspect that he is a spy after visiting Rekall - a company that provides its clients with implanted fake memories of a life they would like to have led - goes wrong and he finds himself on the run.

Starring: Colin Farrell, Kate Beckinsale, Jessica Biel, Bryan Cranston

Rated PG-13 for intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action, some sexual content, brief nudity, and language

Runtime: 118 minutes

I don't think it looks that bad, I just don't have a lot of interest in seeing it. Could be a fun diversion, but that's not really what I'm looking for after a summer full of them.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:19 PM
PG -13 pass.....and the reviews are saying it's shit , Ebert gave it 3 stars but this man is not the same ..this means to him TDKR and this remake are in the same league.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:37 PM
13 positive to 35 negative says it all. I'll still check it out at RedBox once it hits dvd.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Old 08-02-2012, 05:09 PM
I think this looks like a pretty fun time at the movies. The action and visuals look solid and I'll see Walter Whi--erm, Bryan Cranston in anything.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:13 PM
Currently 28% on RT. Yeah I'll probably be saving my money for next weekend's Bourne Legacy.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:40 PM
Another turd from Wiseman!
Old 08-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
Cosign

This movie should have never been touched,remade,rebooted,re-what the fuck ever.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Currently 28% on RT. Yeah I'll probably be saving my money for next weekend's Bourne Legacy.
Read the Bourne novels instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
Len Wiseman has joined the turd directors crew where are included Bret Ratner, Uwe Boll, Paul WS Anderson and the chairman of the board....Michael Bay!

This remake looks like a Minority Report/Inception ripoff.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:26 PM
I'm a huge fan of Len Wiseman. Love the first two Underworld movies and Live Free and Die Hard.

I'm also a big fan of this entire ensemble cast. Which is why I'm disappointed to say that I just can't muster any excitement for this movie. It's slick looking, I'll give it that. But it just looks too much of a copy of the original, which was such an awesome movie. But instead of doing something unique and original with the same premise, it just looks like a pale imitation of the original.

Last edited by ilovemovies; 08-02-2012 at 11:16 PM..
Old 08-03-2012, 05:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopontheshoes7 View Post
Exactly, poop
Old 08-03-2012, 05:30 AM
From the very first news about this remake, I wasn't even remotely interested. I knew it would be shit then. And it will be shit now. What's worse is Collin Farrell is in it. I can't stand him. There are a million better choices for the lead role. I will not be seeing this crap. What a waste pf good money. Jeez...
Old 08-03-2012, 05:54 PM
I don't understand the low RT score at all. I had a blast watching this one. Maybe I was just in the right frame of mind.

7/10

This movie is a very pleasant surprise from the land of the re-makes. It’s tough to judge the plot itself because re-making such a well known first film means all the plot twists aren’t twists at all if you’ve seen the original. There’s also no question that there are a few unnecessary over-the-top logic flaws that drag down the overall intelligence of the film. Still, the movie does deliver some of the best looking futuristic effects and technology that I have ever seen. You really buy in to the advanced surroundings and spectacle. I’d classify a few of the scenes on display in this fun film as some of the best sci-fi mixed with chase scenes of all-time. (Yes, ALL-TIME) They’re an amazing mix of high tech and old fashion serial chase thrills. Overall, I wish they had cut a few tacked on resolution scenes and simply stuck to the fun but still a popcorn thumbs up from me.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuatroDiablos View Post
PG -13 pass.....and the reviews are saying it's shit , Ebert gave it 3 stars but this man is not the same ..this means to him TDKR and this remake are in the same league.
sheesh, excuse Ebert for having an opinion. TDKR blew anyways.

Total Recall looks like more of a rental to me. Pass.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:32 PM
only thing i would be interested in is learning if Beckinsale's character dies and if so how? use spoiler tags if you know.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:50 PM
I was really wanting to see this one, until I found out it's PG-13. Fuck that shit! I love Biel & Farrell, and Beckinsale's hot as hell too. But I think I'll wait for DVD if I even bother checking it out at all.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by g05 View Post
only thing i would be interested in is learning if Beckinsale's character dies and if so how? use spoiler tags if you know.
If you're EVER going to watch this movie, I would NOT read this spoiler. VERY Spoilery...
Spoiler:
She makes it all the way until the end. She survives the entire crazy finale and then shows up hologram disguised as Biel's character and tends to a wounded Farrell. He noticed it's not really her because of her lack of a scar and they fight a bit before Farrell gains control of a gun and blows her away through the back of a medical ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
I was really wanting to see this one, until I found out it's PG-13. Fuck that shit! I love Biel & Farrell, and Beckinsale's hot as hell too. But I think I'll wait for DVD if I even bother checking it out at all.
Kate does the obligatory tiny white panties scene to show off her assets in her very first scene and they do have nudity with a three breasted woman if that helps. The violence is shot well and there is a high body count. They very much pushed the PG-13 limits.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:46 PM
What a generic pile of crap this was.

4/10
Old 08-05-2012, 04:11 AM
I watched this thing today.
I fell asleep during most of the action scenes.......
The original one has a lot less action than this one but still so much better.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:06 AM
Lol...

Total Recall is a blockbuster
Old 08-05-2012, 08:49 AM
I would give this a run if it weren't PG-13. But since it is, they can shove it up their ass. And from the sound of things, its crap anyway.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Review - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-1sl
Old 08-05-2012, 03:06 PM
In terms of the criticism of the director - I agree. Here is what I said:

"Total Recall has a grand finale, and even process that leads to it is different that the original; it seems like director Len Wiseman indeed had his own unique vision for the film, but the entire first act brings down the quality of the reboot. It leaves me questioning why even remake the film, when the only major similarities between the two were the set up?

Wiseman surely could have circumvented the thought process that was the idea behind "Rekall" and given this film it's own brand new identity. If you look at the last hour of the film it really stands out and is more often then not - entertaining.

But we always remember that this isn't an original, it's a borrowed toy that was just used a couple of times and then thrown back into the cluttered Hollywood chest."
Old 08-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChar4321 View Post
Kate does the obligatory tiny white panties scene to show off her assets in her very first scene and they do have nudity with a three breasted woman if that helps. The violence is shot well and there is a high body count. They very much pushed the PG-13 limits.
Hm. Still will probably wait for DVD at best on this, given that info. Thanks man.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:37 AM
I admit it was the flashy SFX filled trailers that inspired me to go to the theatre to watch this remake of the 1990 Total Recall sci fi film.
The 1990 film is not only one of my favorite sci fi films of all time ,but i think it's one of the best films Arnold Schwarzenegger has ever starred in.
The 1990 film pulled me in right from the start with the great score by Jerry Goldsmith,and the eye popping exposure to Mars opening sequence.
The 2012 remake takes awhile to get going and keep my attention.Some of the same elements are still present:the suffering from identity crisis
Douglas "Doug" Quaid/Carl Hauser(Colin Farrell) is he a spy/freedom fighter or everyday joe strapped to a chair at Rekall, a company that implants
artificial memories?
Also present Quaid's wife Lori (Kate Beckinsale looking oh so good in tighty whities again....anyone remember that scene in White Out from 2009....anyone?)
Last but not least Melina (Jessica Biel), the woman from his dreams who may be his lover/fellow freedom fighter.
Farrell who has faired better in other films kind of sleep walks through this role.Biel pouts well,but it's Beckinsale who is the most watchable
as she relentlessly pursues and hunts Quaid with the assist of some hyped up storm troopers,and Vilos Cohaagen (Bryan Cranston who is definitely
not given enough time to spit venom or get off a good one liner.
I liked the cramped Blade Runner like look of the film.There are a few great action sequences,but this romp is not nearly as fun or involving
as the original.It actually made me long for the original,which will likely pop up on one of the various cable channels this week,and guess who's
going to watch it each time it airs?
Scale of 1-10 a 6 ˝
Old 08-07-2012, 02:18 AM

This movie is a pale imitation of the original. The cast is a pale imitation. Even Bryan Cranston is shockingly boring and not nearly as good as Ronnie Cox was. Kate Beckinsale is a two time failure since her character is an amalgamation of Sharon Stone's character and Michael Ironside's character and she's not nearly as much fun as either one. Jessica Biel doesn't have anything to do, is not as good as Rachel Ticotin and has zero chemistry with Colin Farrell. Poor Farrell. He tries really hard but he just doesn't have anywhere near the screen presence of Arnold Schwarzenegger. He's kind of flat as well.

The movie looks great, but even in it's visuals it's pretty derivative. It recalls, among other movies, Minority Report, Blade Runner, Judge Dredd and Star Wars.

The action sequences are surprisingly dull and quite repetitive. It's really surprising to me that this movie couldn't even deliver on the action front since director Len Wiseman has done a good job with action in the past with the first two Underworld movies and Live Free or Die Hard.

But this movie is a failure in every way possible. There is nothing in this movie that you don't get from the original only done better 100x. No real sense of mystery. No sense of fun. No sense of excitement. It's lifeless, boring and completely inert.

3/10
Old 08-11-2012, 03:40 PM
While I'm not the biggest fan of the original, at least it had balls. The original is quite dated, but there are several things about it that make it stand out above this new version: Arnie taking something out of his brain through his nose, Arnie and Michael Ironside shooting everything in sight, the freakish leader of the resistance being part of a guy's stomach, and the freakish faces Arnie and his girl make when they're exposed to the Mars atmosphere. The new Total Recall has absolutely nothing going for it that makes it stand out from any other sci-fi action movie. The characters are bland, the story isn't all that special (or original), and the climax/finale is cliche and not very exciting. In the original, you get to see, meet, and get to know those affected by the bad guys' oppression of them. In the remake, I didn't really care if the bad guys beat the resistance and invaded the ghetto (or whatever it was). There was no reason to care if the bad guys succeeded. The cast did an okay job with what they were given, but the story and the direction were pretty weak. Even though I'm not a big fan, I'll still stick with the original.

Original: 7/10
Remake: 5/10
Old 11-01-2012, 09:04 AM
I watched it last night and I just don't get all the hate for this. IMO, this was much better than the Underworld crap this fools been making. And although that's not saying much, it is a step in the right direction.

I didn't mind the little changes he made, the differences from the fist one. In fact I preferred some of it. I didn't mind he remade this period. I never really thought that highly of the original beyond it being a somewhat cool sci-fi action flick. To be honest, I never thought that highly of Verhoeven beyond Basic Instinct. So I didn't go into this with that "oh no, this is sacred, they can't let Wiseman remake this" attitude. Maybe that is why I liked it.

Was it great? No, it is Wiseman. I do not expect a great film from a director like him. Were the actors good? It was Biel, Beckinsale, and Farrall I wasn't expecting Daniel Plainview. Did it do the original justice? Was it faithful to the source material? Save that for someone who actually thinks the first was anything more than a popcorn flick. Was it a decent popcorn flick? Yes, it was good for a decent spin on the plasma and an entertaining 2 hours.

In the end, it delivered what I wanted and expected from it. Now if we just could have gone hard R, thrown in some good violence and some Biel and Beckinsale skin shots, it would have elevated it to a really good movie. As it stands, 6.5 out of 10, decent not great but certainly not as bad as how everyone described it.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:06 PM
Also saw this on the plane. OMG was this terrible. I used to enjoy this guy's movies. Colin is the equal to Billy Zane in my mind.
Jessica Biel is box office death.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
Also saw this on the plane. OMG was this terrible. I used to enjoy this guy's movies. Colin is the equal to Billy Zane in my mind.
Just out of curiosity, how long was the plane ride?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
Just out of curiosity, how long was the plane ride?
15 fucking hours to Hong Kong and then 2.5 to Bangkok. I saw 5 movies each way. I don't sleep on airplanes. They do have a rather nice collection and a few games. I beat the computer at chess 4 of 5 games.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
15 fucking hours to Hong Kong and then 2.5 to Bangkok. I saw 5 movies each way. I don't sleep on airplanes. They do have a rather nice collection and a few games. I beat the computer at chess 4 of 5 games.
Ouch. My sympathies. I normally don't watch movies I haven't seen before on planes; the few times I have I normally haven't enjoyed them. I saw Master & Commander on a flight to Kuwait and I did not enjoy any of it. So now, I stick to the movies I've seen before and have enjoyed.

I also don't sleep well on planes. I'm 6'3" and it's uncomfortable enough just sitting in the freakin' seats.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
Ouch. My sympathies. I normally don't watch movies I haven't seen before on planes; the few times I have I normally haven't enjoyed them. I saw Master & Commander on a flight to Kuwait and I did not enjoy any of it. So now, I stick to the movies I've seen before and have enjoyed.

I also don't sleep well on planes. I'm 6'3" and it's uncomfortable enough just sitting in the freakin' seats.
And I travel with small kids. They are great on planes though. Cathay Pacific has an awesome list of movies on their touch screen panels. A must though is my noise canceling headphones or you can't hear much.

MC is a really dark movie, must have been hard to see. Unless you sit in business or first class people 6 feet and over can't sleep on a plane.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:33 AM
I enjoyed the movie. I'm a huge fan of Kate Beckinsale. It was a change to see her play a different character.

All my friends say this movie is total crap. But after watching it. I think they compare it way to much to the original. The original is a classic movie. But it was cool to see a new version of it. I do think of the original never happened. People would love this movie.