Old 06-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Sorry Jack, Chucky's back.....and going straight-to-video. :(

From Moviehole.Net:

Quote:
Video killed the reboot restart…

No longer a rumour, Universal Home Entertainment have slapped the acidic size D’s back into the possessed doll Chucky, signing off on a plan to do a fifth sequel to 1988′s “Child’s Play”.
“Curse of Chucky”, which will be written, directed and produced by Chucky conceiver and recurring franchise director Don Mancini, will begin shooting in Winnipeg, Canada in September.

In this new film, which is being produced for DVD, Chucky arrives to wreck havoc within a family that’s regrouped for a funeral. In the wake of her mother’s passing, a young woman – in a wheelchair since birth – is forced to put up with her sister, brother-in-law, niece and their nanny as they say their goodbyes to mother. When people start turning up dead, the fearless Nica discovers the culprit might be a “strange doll” she was sent a couple of days earlier.

Unlike the last couple of “Chucky” movies, while there will be humour, there’s a lot more emphasis here on making the series scary again – so this’ll be a throwback to the first three “Child’s Play” movies. (Interestingly enough, a reboot of the series has been in development which also encompassed a slightly darker, more frightening tone, suggesting we’ll likely never see another campy ‘Chucky’ flick again.)

Brad Dourif is, of course, back to voice the role of the killer doll. He’s lent his lungs – and briefly, face – to every “Child’s Play” thus far. So thankfully, Uni aren’t saving coin and bringing in Jake Busey or Frank Stallone to speak into a mic. Dourif is Chuck.

Main characters in the film include heroine Nica; Barb, Nica’s older sister, a manipulative, controlling cow that nags her handsome husband Ian and 5-year-old daughter Alice; and Jill, the “smokin’ hot” nanny that’s sleeping with Ian. There’s also fun supporting characters like a meddling priest, who will come face-to-cross with Chucky, and of course, the deceased woman, mother Sarah. But, as I said, it’s Chucky who takes king credit – he’s who we want to see, and by golly, sounds like he’s back to his murderous ways.

As I said, this is a return to ‘nasty’ Chucky – the scary little son-of-a-bitch that leaves nobody standing around to get their shits and giggles as two plastic dolls play hide the plastic cabana via silhouette (in fact, the film completely skips over the last couple of sequels, essentially taking place after “Child’s Play 3″ – so there’s no Jennifer Tilly, sorry kids!). There’s a big-ass knife, and by golly, Chucky’s gonna use it – and in the most graphic of ways. There’s some very disturbing slaughter scenes planned for the flick.

It sounds like this is going to be a dead-on scary flick, and encompasses oodles more gore than the laugh-centric “Bride of Chucky” and “Seed of Chucky” had in them (not hard, I guess!?), that’ll hopefully mend Chucky’s reputation as a meltable bitch from a box.

Huh. Well, at least we're getting a new Chucky movie. Not thrilled about him going straight-to-video, though (which means a lower budget, which means the puppet effects won't be as good.) Also I really love Tiff (and Glenn) but it'll be cool to see Chucky going solo for the first time in years. And it's good to know creator Don Mancini is writing and directing.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Why? What's the point? People can say what they want about "Seed of Chucky," I liked it, but it did what most sequels refuse do - end with closure. Forget about Chucky's arm coming out of the present at the end (nearly ruins the film), and the closure at the end took the series full circle. Chucky realized that he was better off living as a doll instead of a human with "growing old" problems. He was again killed and was probably content with it. His boy became a man and finished him off. And his family was transferred back into humans and moving on with their lives. It should be over. End of story.

After good/underrated sequels like "Seed" take a series full circle, there should laws in place to ensure that a crappy sequel cannot be made to embarrass it. I know there can't be such a thing, but it's a thought The plot of this next proposed sequel doesn't sound particularly "grounded to reality" or anymore "scary" than "Seed of Chucky" was. What I think people don't realize is that the series hit rock bottom with the tired plot of "Child's Play 3" and needed to take a fresher and campier direction. They can say that "Bride/Seed" are the worse chapters, I say it's Part 3. And even then, I enjoy the whole series and find Part 3 mildly entertaining for an admittedly tired storyline.

What they're proposing now sounds like a waste of time and effort. Let the series be. A remake is inevitable anyway. Every big series seems destined to be remade at this point. I don't want a crappy straight-to-video sequel to take the series down another notch. I'd prefer they re-start the series and naturally hire a new voice actor to play him. It doesn't mean I'll see it, but just let the original series alone. And don't look at me like that. Bela Lugosi originally played Dracula, and then it was Christopher Lee and other actors down the line. This is the natural order of life. Brad Dourif was great as Chucky, but I will not get my hopes up on him re-playing the part in a re-started series. Dourif was great from "Child's Play" all the way to "Seed of Chucky," and I would hate to see him slum his way through a tired/pointless sequel.

Last edited by Duke Nukem; 06-24-2012 at 08:40 PM..
Old 06-24-2012, 08:57 PM
I'm totally open for this, as Chucky was the first Horror icon I was exposed to and will always hold a special place in my heart. I think that this could play off of the revelation at the end of Seed about Chucky's contentment as a doll well, and the series could fare well without Tiff and Glen at this point. Their stories are done. I'm really excited for this, especially with Dourif and Mancini returning.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisoGenie View Post
I'm totally open for this, as Chucky was the first Horror icon I was exposed to and will always hold a special place in my heart. I think that this could play off of the revelation at the end of Seed about Chucky's contentment as a doll well, and the series could fare well without Tiff and Glen at this point. Their stories are done. I'm really excited for this, especially with Dourif and Mancini returning.
Couldn't agree MORE! I don't care if it's direct-to-DVD, I'm really looking forward to this! SO happy Dourif's back as Chucky's voice.... Just like Nightmare on Elm Street (whos subsequent reboot I never bothered with, since Englund wasn't Freddy) it's NOT Chucky without Dourif!

If they do a reboot with another voice actor, I'll not bother watching. But this? Sounds good and I'm glad the Chuckster's back on his own too.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
Couldn't agree MORE! I don't care if it's direct-to-DVD, I'm really looking forward to this! SO happy Dourif's back as Chucky's voice.... Just like Nightmare on Elm Street (whos subsequent reboot I never bothered with, since Englund wasn't Freddy) it's NOT Chucky without Dourif!

If they do a reboot with another voice actor, I'll not bother watching. But this? Sounds good and I'm glad the Chuckster's back on his own too.
I basically felt the same way at the time about the Nightmare reboot, and while I stand by my belief that the film was an abysmal mess, I know there were a thousand ways that it could have been done better (as literally hundreds of fan-made videos will prove). The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is getting a proper sequel, and rumour has it that Phantasm is as well, so there is always hope that property such as A Nightmare On Elm Street can as well, even if Robert has retired from the glove, or any other series for that matter. The game is changing. The thing that differentiates Chucky from Freddy, or Leatherface as a character from an actor's perspective is that Dourif soully (had to) lends his voice for the role, aside from an appearance at the beginning of the original film, so there isn't any real reason for him not to continue reprising the role. He doesn't have to wait under six hours of make-up, or perform any stunts that he won't be capable of with age. Has the Child's Play series run its course? Absolutely, but quite honestly it's just refreshing to see a proper Horror sequel to one of the key franchises of the past few decades.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:40 AM
With the shite that was seed of chucky..i assumed that the next was going to be direct to video...
Old 07-14-2012, 04:56 PM
I'm open to it. No Tiffany of Son is fine with me and hope that happens. I prefer the first three over the recent Bride/Seeds anyway. Look at it this way: It is Better than a remake happening.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:42 PM
Nothing happening is better than a remake happening! But yeah, Tiff and the brat being excommunicated from the series is definitely a good sign. That plot thread has run its course.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:19 PM
Chucky's hot. I'd fuck him.

Scary charles, funny charles, married charles, horny charles, straight-to-dvd charles...it's all good in my book.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt Ekerot View Post
Chucky's hot. I'd fuck him.
You don't fuck with the Chuck!!
Old 07-15-2012, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisoGenie View Post
You don't fuck with the Chuck!!
"Why fight it, Chucky? We're going to be very close. In fact, we're gonna be fucking inseparable."
Old 07-20-2012, 05:17 PM
Re-watched both "Bride/Seed of Chucky." They are the kinds of movies in which I have difficulty picturing other fans not enjoying. "Bride" is so dark and funny, while "Seed" is also funny but admittedly lighter. They are tonally different movies, even after the first three films that played it straight. Humor is extremely subjective, so I guess others can look at "Seed" and cannot understand why I would enjoy it so much.

Well, I still think "Seed" took the series full circle and gave it a good ending. However...if "Curse of Chucky" is inteneded to move on from "Bride/Seed" and allow Chucky to be a killer doll - but this time wish to remain that way - I can live with it. If Chucky moves on from Tiffany and his children, just like he moved on from Andy Barcely, fine. There just isn't a need to pretend that "Bride/Seed" didn't happen. That would be disrespectful.

I remember Arrow's interview with Don Mancini. He went to the video store, either noticed "Bride of Frankenstein" or planned on renting it, and the idea "Bride of Chucky" popped into his head. Might make the perfect comeback after Part 3 and it was. And after "Bride," he wrote "Seed," but would have to wait several years because the new studio head didn't like horror movies. And he waited for his opportunity to direct "Seed." If all that time and effort is moot now, and they pretend that "Bride/Seed" didn't happen, it would just be wrong and wasteful. They can move on from "Bride/Seed" without wiping the slate clean. Chucky is somehow brought back to life again, now is happy with staying a doll, and "getting his exercise." I would be all for that with a chapter that inspires a spirited performance from Brad Dourif. Maybe the script and story for "Curse" will do Chucky justice again. We'll have to see.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Never really got into this series, although, I did find the third installment amusing. I might give this one a look though. Over the last view years some of the dtv stuff has been half decent.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:36 PM
This will no doubt suck. I can't understand why these franchises keep getting DTV sequels, it's not like they're raking in very many millions of dollars with these films...
Old 08-03-2012, 08:05 PM
Very sad to see this going DTV. The budget for these films isnt that high to begin with and I'm sure if advertised well enough and released in the fall it could gather 25 mil or so at the box office, which is a solid turn out for a film that probably only costs a couple of million to produce. Chucky is well known and while he isn't box office firepower he is still profitable if his films arent trash and dumped into theaters. I.E Seed of Chucky