Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Celeb Talk/Gossip
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2012, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Why Dane Cook’s Aurora Joke Failed
By Alyssa Rosenberg on Jul 27, 2012 at 5:06 pm
Some days, it feels like we’re in an arms race of stupid, as is the case when Dane Cook decides that the timing is right to pull this joke in response to the shootings at The Dark Knight Rises in Aurora, Colorado:
So I heard that the guy came into the theater about 25 minutes into the movie. And I don’t know if you’ve seen the movie, but the movie is pretty much a piece of crap. Yea, spoiler alert. I know that if none of that would have happened, pretty sure that somebody in that theater, about 25 minutes in, realizing it was a piece of crap, was probably like ‘ugh fucking shoot me.
Continued...

http://thinkprogress.org/alyssa/2012...e-cook-aurora/
Old 08-02-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
Basically this.

As an aside, I didn't even realize Dane Cook was still around?
I didn't even realize people still pay money to see him 'perform'.

SHIVER ME TIMBERS...

NOT GONNA LIE, HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED WAS ONE OF THE BEST COMEDY ALBUMS I HAD HEARD IN YEARS WHEN IT CAME OUT.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:40 PM

See now this is actually pretty funny. Jeff Ross knows comedy. He clowned on Seth Green at the Rosanne Barr roast.

Once Ross took to the podium, he turned to red-haired fellow roaster Seth Green. “Congratulations,” Ross said to Green. “This is actually a really big night for you. You haven’t gotten this much attention since you shot all those people in Aurora.”

The joke was met with a resounding ohhhhh from the audience, but Ross wasn’t finished. “I’m kidding!” he said. “You’re not like James Holmes. At least he’s doing something in a movie theater that people remember.” That was met with continuing sounds of mouth-gaped shock, along with a mix of boo’s and a scattering of slow applause.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/08/05/je...oseanne-roast/
Old 08-06-2012, 02:11 AM
^ This is the job of a comedian....take something that's terrible and awful and then TURN it into something funny.

I hope comedians never stop doing this...in the name of free speech, I root for both Ross and Dane. Keep it up, guys.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:36 AM
Dane Cook is a joke...

Spoiler:
who the hell is dane cook? canine chef?
Old 08-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
See now this is actually pretty funny. Jeff Ross knows comedy. He clowned on Seth Green at the Rosanne Barr roast.

Once Ross took to the podium, he turned to red-haired fellow roaster Seth Green. “Congratulations,” Ross said to Green. “This is actually a really big night for you. You haven’t gotten this much attention since you shot all those people in Aurora.”

The joke was met with a resounding ohhhhh from the audience, but Ross wasn’t finished. “I’m kidding!” he said. “You’re not like James Holmes. At least he’s doing something in a movie theater that people remember.” That was met with continuing sounds of mouth-gaped shock, along with a mix of boo’s and a scattering of slow applause.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/08/05/je...oseanne-roast/
This is a good example of what I was saying earlier - the difference here is that Ross was making fun of Seth Green but using the Aurora shootings as a reference point. Whereas Cook was actually making a joke about TDKR being a bad movie but he used the shootings as a punchline. He emphasized and elaborated on the wrong parts of the joke.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:18 PM
as todd glass says, the joke should be more funny than mean

and joke analysis/deconstruction is always awful
Old 08-23-2012, 12:20 PM
Cook hasn't been funny in years, his set at the Laugh Factory earlier this year was probably the worst thing that's ever taken place in a comedy club
Old 08-23-2012, 01:40 PM
lol @ calling TDKR crap. Maybe he should reflect some more on his piece of shit comedy and film history.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:35 AM
I don't think he crossed the line. Yes, he was making light of a tragic event but he's actually making fun of the movie not the people that were killed. He's also making fun of people like us who say things like "I'd rather kill myself than watch..." It's silly sometimes how serious we take things as trivial as movies. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Cook fan nor am I defending his "comedy." I'm just saying that he was far from crossing the line.

On a side note, I do have to say that I was a little dissapointed by the lack of "darkness" in The Dark Knight Rises. This is basically the climax of the film: