Old 04-27-2012, 02:40 PM
This is 40

Judd Apatow's 4th directorial effort, a sort of spin off to Knocked Up starring Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann.

Trailer - http://bit.ly/Kh457K

Also in the film - Jason Segel, Melissa McCarthy, Albert Brooks, Megan Fox, Chris O’Dowd, Lena Dunham, and Charlene Yi.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:12 PM
Jesus Fucking Christ, this looks terrible. Apatow really squandered that blank check he got from Hollywood. Funny People was a case of cinematic hemorrhoids, and this looks like a relapse.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:15 PM
40 Year Old Virgin will always be his peak and one true shining moment. But yes I'll give this a view once it hits dvd.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:23 PM
I've liked all of Apatow's movies so far (I was underwhelmed by Funny People on first viewing, but it actually gets better with every watch), so I'll definitely give this one a shot. Though I really don't know if I'll be able to stand Leslie Mann's character for a full two hours...her supporting role in Knocked Up was pushing it.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:00 PM
Yeah, I'm getting a bit lukewarm on Apatow, and this trailer pretty much confirmed it. I was a huge fan back in the day, but this just isn't really doing it for me.

Then again, maybe the funny stuff is on the red band.....maybe
Old 04-27-2012, 06:55 PM
What in the fuck was that last scene about... is Apatow on coke these days
Old 04-27-2012, 07:49 PM
Looks like a big load of meh. It used to be that the best movies that Apatow was involved with were the ones he wrote and directed, but that is quickly not becoming the case. The people he helped get into Hollywood are now surpassing him in those categories.

Last edited by Bourne101; 04-27-2012 at 07:53 PM..
Old 04-28-2012, 10:07 AM
the only thing I'm looking forward to is Leslie Mann, I think she's actually funny and could be great here. But I agree the film doesn't look that appealing right now.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:24 PM
It doesn't look nearly as good as Knocked Up, but it looks okay.

I have an Uncle who is always lying about his age, so the stuff with Leslie Mann lying about her age made me crack up. And Paul Rudd is the master of the reaction shot in this trailer!
Old 04-28-2012, 02:56 PM

I like the Ruddster but this looks pretty lame.

Dear Apatow,

Quit casting your family in roles.

Thanks
Old 04-29-2012, 12:08 AM
WOW. I'm surprised about this reaction from you guys, I thought there was a whole Apatow-love-fest going on with the schmoes...

Personally, I was never really on board the Apatow train, the humor just never appealed to me after 40 Year Old Virgin, which is the one I really laughed with/at. Knocked Up is grossly overrated and I care so little for his films that I didn't even see the unfunny looking Funny People.

This trailer did absolutely nothing for me, the dialogue was weak, the jokes were even weaker, there is such a huge sense of pushiness in his approach that I can't handle it.

Pass.

Paul Rudd is still awesome though.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:57 AM
Wow, are you guys a bitter bunch. Have a bad date night while at an Apatow movie? I think this looks pretty good. Paul Rudd makes everything better.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:04 AM
I don't think I'll be able to relate or find most of the things funny in this movie simply based on the trailer and the fact I'm half the age the movie is focused on. Plus, Funny People bored the hell out of me, and this doesn't look any better.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
Wow, are you guys a bitter bunch. Have a bad date night while at an Apatow movie? I think this looks pretty good. Paul Rudd makes everything better.
I think there's just a clear difference between writing solid jokes and writing easy, cutesy family material that's only funny because everyone relates to it. This trailer was full of the latter.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:15 AM
Judd Apatow should stick with writing and producing comedies. He'll never be the next Todd Philips.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
WOW. I'm surprised about this reaction from you guys, I thought there was a whole Apatow-love-fest going on with the schmoes...
I'm a fan, but a bad looking movie is a bad looking movie. This just doesn't look like it's on the level of his first couple of movies or on the level of some of the movies/shows he has produced/is producing.

Last edited by Bourne101; 04-29-2012 at 11:35 AM..
Old 04-30-2012, 06:36 PM
I was never on the Apatow train either.

I didn't even like 40 Year Old Virgin or Superbad...
Old 04-30-2012, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
I'm a fan, but a bad looking movie is a bad looking movie. This just doesn't look like it's on the level of his first couple of movies or on the level of some of the movies/shows he has produced/is producing.
Or it could just be a bad trailer.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
I was never on the Apatow train either.

I didn't even like 40 Year Old Virgin or Superbad...

I like his movies but I will say that his movies do seem to have a tendency of being a little too long.

Funny People being the worst offender of this problem.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:34 PM
New trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=i9Vt9sP8OY8
Old 08-07-2012, 04:26 PM
Much much better trailer, has me wayyyyy more interested now.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:34 PM
I'm....still not on bored. Perhaps I'll check it out if I hear good things, but consider me wary.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cop No. 633 View Post
I think there's just a clear difference between writing solid jokes and writing easy, cutesy family material that's only funny because everyone relates to it. This trailer was full of the latter.
Yep.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:10 PM
The movie comes out in December and not the usual summer slot. Apatow must really want some Oscar recognition.

If he couldn't get nominated for The 40 Year Old Virgin or Knocked Up, I honestly don't see how he can for this one, even with the better release date for Oscar. I'm talking about screenplay.

40 Year Old Virgin is still his best, but he's just gone downhill from there. He's better at nurturing upcoming talents and I hope he continues to do that.

Last edited by Matchbox225; 08-07-2012 at 11:12 PM..
Old 08-08-2012, 10:24 AM
I kind dig what I see so far. I am not an Apatow fanboy or anything but I enjoy all of his films. This one isn't on the must see in theaters list for me or anything but on a slow Sunday I might check it out with the wife. Plus Paul Rudd makes everything great. His "mirror monologue" in Wanderlust was the only thing that made that movie enjoyable for me. I am sure it will be a good flick.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:22 AM
I like this new trailer quite a bit. I look forward to seeing it.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:53 AM
I'm really not interested in this. Paul Rudd's comedy has gone stale to me, as has Apatow's.

Doubt this will be any good
Old 10-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Just finished the script. Has to be the potential to be the best thing Apatow's done.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Saw it today. Good film with a harsh authenticity sprinkled with funny moments and a great running LOST joke.

Full review shortly.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Review: This is 40 - Apatow gives a brutally honest & personal take on marriage that's his best in years - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2rr