#1  
Old 08-08-2012, 09:02 PM
Star Trek TNG Blu-Ray resolution question

Paramount went back and scanned the original film for the 1080p BD release of the TNG series. My question is this: can they go back and re-scan the film at 2k, 4k and 8k resolution to re-release it, say, a decade from now? Not asking if they will do it to make money, but rather if they will be able do it from a technical aspect, scan, specifically, the TNG TV series film.

Will it just be sharper than 1080p or will you not want to see it because producers would have to airbrush the actors, or will it just not make any difference except that you can project it at a larger venue? Thanks.

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_...e_film_scanner
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-08-2012, 10:20 PM
They re-scanned the film.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Yes. They rescanned the original film at 1080p HD, hence yes: they can (and did) scan it at 2k. My question is that whether they can or will scan it five to ten years from now for the proposed Ultra High Definition TV in 4k or even 8k.

Note: I took out the part about 2k. I previously assumed 2k was double the 1080p rate, but I'm now assuming that 2k = 1080p. I might be wrong on both counts. Please won't someone educate me!? (No sarcasm intended.)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-09-2012, 01:57 AM
I don't see any reason to assume they wouldn't but it could go either way. Maybe I'm not clear on why you're asking. Are you worried about having to replace BR discs 10 years from now?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-09-2012, 04:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayahh View Post
Paramount went back and scanned the original film for the 1080p BD release of the TNG series. My question is this: can they go back and re-scan the film at 2k, 4k and 8k resolution to re-release it, say, a decade from now? Not asking if they will do it to make money, but rather if they will be able do it from a technical aspect, scan, specifically, the TNG TV series film.

Will it just be sharper than 1080p or will you not want to see it because producers would have to airbrush the actors, or will it just not make any difference except that you can project it at a larger venue? Thanks.

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_...e_film_scanner

There is a point where the source material will not look any better not matter how high the resolution of the scan itself. For example, 16mm will always look grainy and somewhat less defined.
Many TV shows are filmed in 16mm - or 32mm, which is "better".

From what I've read, the show looks freaking fantastic on BR. It's doubtful if a higher resolution would present something better. Especially considering that it was filmed in the 80s/90s, before hi definition was even on the creators' minds and not intended to be seen in hi-def. It's a lot like Star Trek: the Original Series, Twilight Zone or many others....
They were filmed with the intent that they'd be viewed on a small screen and so the HIGHEST DEFINITION QUALITY would mean nothing but wasted bandwidth and digital information.



Quote:
Originally Posted by sayahh View Post
Note: I took out the part about 2k. I previously assumed 2k was double the 1080p rate, but I'm now assuming that 2k = 1080p. I might be wrong on both counts. Please won't someone educate me!? (No sarcasm intended.)
2K = 20481080 or 2.2 megapixels
4K = 40962160 or 8.8 megapixels

... So yes, 2k is roughly bluray quality.

"1080p" just means that the display has 1080 lines of horizontal resolution. The actual number of PIXELS might change for the movie itself because the aspect ratio removes horizontal and/or vertical presentation.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-11-2012, 11:25 PM
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KcMsterpce View Post
There is a point where the source material will not look any better not matter how high the resolution of the scan itself. For example, 16mm will always look grainy and somewhat less defined.
Many TV shows are filmed in 16mm - or 32mm, which is "better".

From what I've read, the show looks freaking fantastic on BR. It's doubtful if a higher resolution would present something better.
Thanks. I guess that's what I was asking: if it's possible to look any better than Blu-Ray if they scanned this particular TNG film at 4k or 8k. And thanks for the explanation about 2k resolution being roughly Blu-Ray. That made it much easier to understand.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-11-2012, 11:30 PM
Two-part cliffhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
I don't see any reason to assume they wouldn't but it could go either way. Maybe I'm not clear on why you're asking. Are you worried about having to replace BR discs 10 years from now?
I guess I really meant to ask two questions: one, if they'd do it to milk consumers out of more money (my guess is that they will, regardless of how much sharper it would or wouldn't look); and two, if it would look any better than it does on BD other than the fact that you could show it on huge 400" screens without loss of quality, i.e., would it gain any clarity?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-25-2012, 10:42 PM
Related news

http://www.electronista.com/articles...er.opposition/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump