Old 08-13-2012, 06:39 PM
Drive(2011)

I saw this movie a when it was released a while back and I wasn't sure if I liked it or not, so this past weekend, I decided to revisit it. First of all, I hadn't seen Ryan Gosling in anything since Remember the Titans until 2011. In 2010-2011 he was in a couple films including Crazy, Stupid, Love, Blue Valentine, The Ides of March, and obviously Drive. He hadn't been in anything big or successful since The Notebook in 2004. So, enough of this history lesson and back to the review.

This film is about a Hollywood Stunt driver who at night is a get-away driver, one of the best at that. The film opens to a man(the driver) talking about his policies of driving for the thieves. I'm not going to spoil anything, so I won't talk too much about the plot. The characters are really deep, who are played by great actors including: Bryan Cranston(Breaking Bad/Malcolm in the Middle), Carrie Mulligan(An Education), Albert Brooks(Taxi Driver/Finding Nemo), Ron Perlman(Hellboy), and Ryan Gosling(Remember the Titans/Blue Valentine) of course.

Even though it has many famous actors in it, Drive is definitely an "Art-House" film, I say this because it has an acquired taste. Yeah, it seems like a normal action movie, which it is, but it is much more than that. It's kind of strange. I'm not sure if it's a driving movie, a mob movie, an action-romance, or what. All I know is that it has muscle cars, violence, and a cute girl. I enjoyed this movie a lot. That is because it has, fantastic action scenes, a great soundtrack, and a more than decent script. So, all in all, I liked this movie a whole bunch. I wouldn't recommend this movie to *everyone* per say, but I do think people who enjoy indie-action/dramas would like this movie. I would give this movie eight and a half hammers out of ten. If you don't get that rating, just watch the movie.

Thanks for reading my review.