Old 10-02-2002, 08:31 PM
Stand by Me

Just finished watching this film and I thought I would start up a thread for people to discuss their opinions on this fun movie. You get a corey, a chubby jerry Oconnel, River phenoix, Keifer Sutherland pre mullet style, and Leeches.
Old 10-02-2002, 08:34 PM

That was a good movie, but this is the wrong forum.
Old 10-02-2002, 08:37 PM
Its based on a stephen king story and has a dead body in it as well as a mutilated ear... I know Im pushing it but I hang out here more than the foreign wolds which are the other non horror joblo forum...except that new music forum I love the shit out of that place.
Old 10-03-2002, 12:26 AM
i also dont think this fits as in horror,but nonetheless a classic film...
Old 10-03-2002, 10:03 AM

STAND BY ME (1986) Directed by Rob Reiner, adapted from the Stephen King short story “The Body” (from the novel “Different Seasons”). Four 12-year-olds (Wil Wheaton, River Phoenix, Corey Feldman and Jerry O’Connell) search for the body of a missing local boy, and learn the true meaning of friendship along the way. Great story. One of King’s best. The late, great Phoenix’s definitive role. My grade: A+
Old 10-03-2002, 11:55 AM
i say yean it belongs here. great film loved it as a kid aint seen it in a while tho.
Old 10-03-2002, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Antonio
STAND BY ME (1986) Directed by Rob Reiner, adapted from the Stephen King short story “The Body” (from the novel “Different Seasons”). Four 12-year-olds (Wil Wheaton, River Phoenix, Corey Feldman and Jerry O’Connell) search for the body of a missing local boy, and learn the true meaning of friendship along the way. Great story. One of King’s best. The late, great Phoenix’s definitive role. My grade: A+
Well said Antonio; I would also recommend the novella to anyone who has the chance or time to read it, Good stuff.
Old 10-03-2002, 03:52 PM
wicked ass film! til this day i still crindge at the LEECH part.

will weaton rocks my face.

SHIVER ME TIMBERS

Last edited by stevereno; 10-03-2002 at 06:53 PM..
Old 10-03-2002, 04:08 PM
same here, i love this film. dont really know why tho, it just kinda makes me watch it every time its on.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:16 PM
Your pushing the boundarys of what is and isnt horror, but I'm gonna allow it on because it's based on a King book. But there is one condition, that you and anybody else for that matter, stop posting relativly non-horror threads in this forum.

Thanks.
Old 10-04-2002, 01:10 AM
Seeing River's character fade in the movie just makes it sadder knowing what happened to this talented young man. Loved the movie, one of the finest made from a King story.

"That's not the secret knock!"
Old 10-04-2002, 04:17 AM
Does anyone know if Ray Browder's body was an FX prop in the film or a made up actor? Just wonderin'...

Nevermind, he was an actor named Kent Lutrell
Why I needed that information is beyond me

Last edited by asyouwish530; 10-04-2002 at 04:19 AM..
Old 10-04-2002, 02:26 PM

Steve, I agree with you on the leech scene. I don't even want to think about having one of these things on my balls, I've had some on an arm or leg and that's bad enough!
Old 10-04-2002, 03:04 PM

I read the novella when it was released years ago. The theme that remains with me to this day was the sadness of a group of friends who'd known each other for some time going on a trip knowing that it would be their final time together. They were each going in different directions with the coming of the new school year as I recall. Fantastic movie.
Old 10-05-2002, 03:02 AM
It is not a horror film at all more a chronique of the teenagerhood.
The acting is very good and the movie makes me think to the Twin Peaks serie however it is less dark, of course.
Great great film that's for sure.
8/10 for this classic.
Old 10-05-2002, 02:29 PM
This movie just moved the hell out of me. Every time I watch it I get a big ass lump in my throat during the final moments of the movie that just refuses to go away until the credits role. It's a fantastic movie. It stands alongside The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile as the finest cinematic King adaptation. I wish that the directors/screenwriters/producers responsible for adaptations of King's horror novels were more aware of why his books work so well. It's King's understanding of human nature and his brilliantly focused character studies that make his books work. This depth seems, with alarming regularity, to be the first thing that most screenwriters/directors jetison in favour of an almost 100% concentration on the horrific elements. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be some focus on the horrific elements. We are after all talking about horror movies. There should, however, be a better balance of these factors in the majority of adaptations of King books that hit the big screen. Sermon over.
Old 10-05-2002, 03:01 PM

Stand By Me is one of the best movies of all time. I would consider it more of a drama, but it is based on a Stephen King novel. Stand By Me is a funny, and emotional movie at the same time. I love the fact that it's just 4 boys going on adventure to look for a dead body. Some scenes were fuuny, like the story of Lard Ass. I almost have tears in my eyes at the end, when Richard Dreyfess explains what happens to all the charscters. But overall, it's an all time classic movie. 10/10
Old 10-06-2002, 06:09 PM
CHOPPER SICK BALLS!!!

classic movie, if i see it coming on tv i always have to see it.

i jsut went to amazon to see if it was out on dvd, damn, check out the special edition. i gotta get this one.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...lance&n=507846

Last edited by Toxferatu; 10-06-2002 at 06:13 PM..
Old 10-06-2002, 07:22 PM
I have that edition its really high quality and I picked it up at target for only 14.99. Not a bad price.
Old 10-06-2002, 07:28 PM
It's a good movie. I dont think it's as great as you guys say. sorta overated, but I did enjoy it and it was a good movie. just not as good as you guys make it out to be.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:36 PM
Claw you may be the toughest critic in the world . I seriously smile at all your reviews.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:45 PM
Yeah bowieee I know. I am kinda tough when it comes to really loved films becuase most of the time i just dont see what makes them so great. although i do like alot of sorta unloved/unheard of movies. but thats just me. i still think Stand By Me is good. you can never go wrong with a movie with a corey in it.
Old 10-08-2002, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Claw
Yeah bowieee I know. I am kinda tough when it comes to really loved films becuase most of the time i just dont see what makes them so great. although i do like alot of sorta unloved/unheard of movies. but thats just me. i still think Stand By Me is good. you can never go wrong with a movie with a corey in it.
Thats why i appreciate your reviews . The way you stick up for the ugly stepchild which is halloween 3 brings a tear of pride to my eye. Your original and these boards are better for it. Well enough compliments basck to the movie... There is just something neat about a chubby little jerry o connel.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:15 PM

I saw this film for the first time last year and damn. It really was brilliant. For the next week every time I thought about it I became saddened. A perfect film all around. One of the best coming of age tales. After watching it I felt really bad for Phoenix. Weird to think of that prophetic... occurence. We need more films as good as this one. A 10/10 from me. Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:25 PM
absolutely excellent film, i can't think of anything negative to say about it, excellent acting, script, direction...very engaging and entertaining all the way through
Old 06-23-2007, 08:55 PM
Tremendous movie that came out in theatres when I was 12 and I instantly connected to it. Tremendous writing, dialogue, and characterization and very assured direction from Reiner, things that allow the movie to hold up years later watching it as an adult. Feldman and Sutherland steal the show here as respectively, the glasses wearing loose cannon Teddy Duchamp and the sadistically evil bully Ace Merrill. How Kiefer didn't pick up a Supporting Actor Nomination for his work here is beyond me, for he played the part to the hilt, so much so that it's a shame he wasn't brought back to reprise the part in the film adaptation of Needful Things (for those wondering, Ace was a MAJOR character in King's Needful Things book, coming back to town to work for Leland Gaunt in his store, in exchange for a never-ending supply of high-quality cocaine. Sadly, the character was excised for the film version). The only drawbacks are Wil Wheaton and yes, River Phoenix, who seem to bring an unneeded dose of homoeroticism to their scenes together where they cry on each other's shoulders about their problems, and Wheaton remains pretty much an irritant throughout his screen time despite the fantastic dialogue for all the characters. O'Connell does well as the fourth wheel of the group, the Lardass Hogan scene may be one of the funniest sequences ever filmed, and a slew of fine character actors in small roles keep things moving. Overall, still a Classic that is required viewing for every boy on the verge of being a teen...10/10
Old 06-24-2007, 12:48 AM

Wow. I thought Wheaton and Phoenix both did a fantastic job and that the Lardass scene was the one part that could have been removed altogether. Ah well, differences help make this board so great. Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:54 PM
Completely wrong forum, but nevertheless this movie remains, in my opinion THE BEST FILM EVER MADE!

It's not my personal favourite (it's in my top 10 easily) but I truly believe it's the best film ever made. I have nothing negative to say about it.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:22 PM
umm

just because stephen king wrote it don't make it horror :P

but, having said that...GREAT MOVIE!!

since my childhood, I have likely watched this movie over 1000 times and it gets better every time I watch it.

Stand by Me: 10/10
Old 07-01-2007, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by sezperai
umm

just because stephen king wrote it don't make it horror :P

I know... I know.... back in those days I seldom left the confines of the horror forums for the rest of the board. Now funnily enough it's like the exact opposite, i rarely find myself here.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:46 AM

Dude I have felt your lacking presence around these areas believe you me. You were one of the long time horror schmoes from when I first arrived on the board. Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:07 PM
Way too much crying in this movie.

I like Ace's character he made a good sociopath. The risking his life in the race scene and his two buddies, then going right for Chris's neck to cut his throat with the switchblade. Even with all those witnesses he just didn't care.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:23 AM
Great coming of age film. Watching it as a younger man in my early teens, I found myself having a lot in common with the main characters. Young, bored, wanting to act like a badass and not knowing shit about the world.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:50 PM
I saw this when I was a kid at the movie theater. one of my favorite movies. don't know if any other movie has captured that age the way this movie does.