Old 08-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog View Post
At this height (56 meters) , you will hit the water at around 120 km/h which basically means the water is like concrete.

Right on the money.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:42 PM

I keep forgetting that he directed Spy Game. God I love that film.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:56 PM
I did the cliche'd thing last night and watched Top Gun, hadn't seen it in probably ten years... such a bad ass, quintessential 80's movie!

And then, I threw on The Taking of Pelham 123... a truly under appreciated remake Scott did.

And I think there are maybe 10 possibly 15 directors who have a style that you can truly call THEIRS. Tony Scott was one of those film makers, he had such a unique style.

it is a shame we cant look forward to any more "Tony Scott" movies.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
I did the cliche'd thing last night and watched Top Gun, hadn't seen it in probably ten years... such a bad ass, quintessential 80's movie!

And then, I threw on The Taking of Pelham 123... a truly under appreciated remake Scott did.

And I think there are maybe 10 possibly 15 directors who have a style that you can truly call THEIRS. Tony Scott was one of those film makers, he had such a unique style.

it is a shame we cant look forward to any more "Tony Scott" movies.
He really did have his own style, which is something that not a lot of action directors can say nowadays. Every film he made his own and for that, he was an expert craftsman in the field.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Having inoperable brain cancer, I'd do the same thing. I don't blame him one bit for doing what he did. It's a fucking sad state of affairs, but necessary I suppose in the end.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw2929 View Post
Having inoperable brain cancer, I'd do the same thing. I don't blame him one bit for doing what he did. It's a fucking sad state of affairs, but necessary I suppose in the end.
It's also possible that the tumor pressed down on the wrong portion of his brain and made him act irrationally. I'm not doctor but uh . . . that can happen, right?
Old 08-20-2012, 05:46 PM
It's a damn shame, but I respect his decision, be it cancer or otherwise.

RIP.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:37 PM
It's really pathetic that your only options when facing a terminal illness are to suffer as your body is slowly destroyed or committing suicide.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz68 View Post
It's really pathetic that your only options when facing a terminal illness are to suffer as your body is slowly destroyed or committing suicide.
It really shows that even though incredible strides have been made in medicine, we still have a long way's to go and a lot to learn. Tony Scott probably had all of the money in the world and that still couldn't save him. It's scary to know that sometimes, even the best medical care just isn't enough.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:40 AM
With all we say about Scott flair for stylization, I think we forget how well the guy could direct actors. Big name actors too. He had a penchant for letting stars be stars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzPCcwChewM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cop No. 633 View Post
In the strangest of ways, Tony Scott's suicide is oddly appropriate given his style. His movies were always on the edge and over the top.

RIP
Yeah, not just his filming style but I immediately thought of his Don Simpson/Jerry Bruckheimer days and the stories that surrounded them. He was a high adrenaline kind of guy on screen, so a long fall seems on the money.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:40 AM
and now his wife has come out and said that Scott did NOT have a Brain Tumor.

I wonder if perhaps he was diagnosed that exact same day, but that info may have come out by now.

Who knows?!

I guess when the Suicide Note is released and the autopsy is complete we will have our answers... of course, the lack of answers (I.E: in the absence of a concrete reason) could be very frustrating.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:41 PM
I'm having a very difficult time digesting this terrible news. All I can muster at this present moment in time is..

WTF?!

R.I.P TS
Old 08-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Just saw this today. Add me to those shocked and saddened by this. When I first saw the headline, I too expected it to be from a heart attack or some other physical ailment, but not this.

I haven't seen any of Tony Scott's movies all the way through, but the parts I saw I liked. While they may have been silly/over-the-top, they did have a certain "heart" to them.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:23 PM
He was one of my favorites. I put together a quick video that was my nod to his films post Man on Fire last year. Here it is for those interested; https://vimeo.com/19914004

Still can't fucking believe this.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:53 PM
So any motivation of his suicide been released yet?
Old 08-23-2012, 12:14 AM
It will take weeks before the Autopsy results and toxicology results come in. And i doubt the family/ authorities will release the contents of the suicide note, at least not yet. I still think the Brain Tumor thing is true, and he may have simply not told his family yet.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:41 AM
The brain tumor is apparently not true because ABC News made a mistake (not sure how you can fuck that up).

http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/tony...-brain-cancer/

Quote:
UPDATED: Tony Scott’s widow Donna has told police that the famed filmmaker/TV producer did not have brain cancer, informed insiders tell Deadline. That makes erroneous this morning’s Good Morning America report that he “had inoperable brain cancer” and quoting “a source close to him”. The ABC claim was widely picked up by media outlets globally and all the Hollywood press (but not Deadline) as the reason why Scott committed suicide Sunday by jumping off a Los Angeles County bridge at 12:35 PM. Within half an hour ABC was backing off its story (see below). This is the third time in a month that ABC News has erroneously reported on a sensitive news story. During the Aurora movie theater shooting tragedy, ABC News first claimed the gunman was a Tea Party member which was not true. And then the shooter’s mother accused ABC News of mischaracterizing a quote from her. The issues all seem the same: ABC News is not properly vetting its reporting.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:22 PM
Geez this is really sad

i remember watching top Gun and l have to say it was a great movie
Never knew he was the director the thing you learn about a person

It said that he had some other projects he was excited about doing but chose to kill him self instead

i sometimes do not understand why people do not talk about what is happening instead of thinking that this is the only way they can end it

RIP
Old 08-25-2012, 01:39 AM
I'm still shocked after hearing the news a few days ago. He wasn't my favorite director, by far, but he consistently delivered entertaining movies. I know Top Gun by heart, I own and love True Romance and Man on Fire, which I watched this week. Such a sad and shocking tragedy.

RIP