Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2012, 07:12 PM
Official CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER Thread (April 4, 2014)

Director - Anthony and Joe Russo (Community) - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-1eu

Release Date - 4.4.14

New Cast - Anthony Mackie to play Falcon - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-14p

With production starting shortly, Anthony and Joe Russo need to hire a female lead - it's down to 3 - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-1JN

Last edited by SkyNet; 09-29-2012 at 10:48 PM..
Old 08-20-2012, 06:32 AM
I mildly enjoyed the first one, hopefully this is a step up from that one....
Old 08-20-2012, 10:22 PM
I'm wondering how they're going to include Winter Soldier in a time where there aren't any Soviets. But more importantly, we need a return of Red Skull!
Old 08-20-2012, 11:42 PM
The Answer: in the comics, what happened (and keep in mind, Winter Soldier #1 came out LONG after the fall of soviet Russia. Winter Soldier is a contemporary book, not an old school one) is that the winter soldier was a communist operative during the cold war, whose fallen into private hands (Lukin) as a result of the chaos in Russia. So, when you open Out of Time #1, Winter Solider has been removed from Russia already, but the guy whose controlling him now is still basically doing the same thing the Russians did.

I have been chomping at the bit for an adaptation of this story, as, IMHO, its one of the greatest comic stories ever told. The thing I loved about this though is that I knew. I followed Brubaker's work at DC, I loved his Gotham Central run with Rucka. When he jumped to Marvel, I had high hopes. I still remember that day I walked into the LCS and saw Man out of time #1 (the first Brubaker Captain America) there on the shelf waiting for me. I snatched it up. When I got home and read it, I was floored. The thing about the Brubaker run, it hit the ground running, literally from the very first page. A lot of comics build momentum, and fans say "well, give it another issue or two and see what he does with it." the Brubaker Captain America grabs you from the very first page and never lets go:

"Is that what I think it is?"

"That's not for sale" (as you see the robot arm of the winter soldier at the end of the panel)

I knew, I knew all the way back then, after that first issue, that this run was going to be a classic. Ed Brubaker writing, and Steve Epting drawing just seemed like a match made in heaven for cap.

Maybe its just me, but I think I'm one of the few people on this site who really liked the First Avenger movie. I felt it was well done, and it showed a lot of what made Steve the hero he is. Plus the obvious heavy involvement of Bucky perfectly sets up the sequel. I thought cap was a very well done movie, an opinion I know I'm in the minority on. I hope against hope that Winter Soldier can capture some of the magic that made the comic one of the greatest runs of all time, and clearly the best cap story.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:12 AM
Sooo, is this a Bucky movie?
Old 08-21-2012, 01:05 AM
Kinda looking forward to this, I really like that Anthony Mackie is in this one of my favorite actors.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:24 AM
OMFG...the directors ...SMFH.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
Sooo, is this a Bucky movie?
yup. The ballad of Steve Rodgers and James "Bucky" Barnes. Steve blames himself for losing Bucky, and when he finds out that his former partner has been working for the Russians for so many years, and has been brainwashed into being the Russian's go-to guy for assasinations during the cold war, Steve sets out on a mission to find and redeem his partner. It is a great story, that won Eisners for Brubaker (the comic book version of the most prestigious award given) for book of the year.

I can't wait to see a film version of this guy:

The only thing that could make this cooler is if the casted Namor and the original Human Torch and had an Invaders reunion. Coooooool.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:17 PM
I'll be very glad to get a Captain America movie set in modern day. I think the majority of effort in that film was A) making skinny Steve and B) making it period. Without that in the way, they can focus on making a much more dynamic story. Plus I never liked the whole middle of that first film, with him swinging from ropes in really-overly gratuitous fashion and punching fake-hitler over and over.

Plus, I think cap in modern times is much more interesting, that fish out of the water element, where Cap is adjusting to the modern world all the time, a solider without a war, etc. The first film really should have been half period, half modern - but I think they fell into a weird middle ground, where a 50/50 movie was too packed/long, and a 100% period movie was too thin/short. It was a tough origin story EITHER WAY, so a totally modern one will no matter what.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:50 AM
IGN Video:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/09/26...winter-soldier

This is the perfect summary about Winter Soldier from the books. I've had so many friends ask me about Winter Soldier that this link will help. Thought I'd pass it along for others to forward the next time someone asks about the character.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:50 PM
Thank's IGN now I won't have to watch this.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:16 PM
I want to be excited for this movie, I am excited for this, it's really cool they are introducing Falcon in this one and Winter Soldier seems like a badass way to take it, but is anyone else worried about the director choice? Only other movie they have directed is You Me and Durpree? Community is overrated and nothing about it seems like it would work for a Captain America movie, why not bring Joe back, who was arguably the biggest name director Marvel has ever hired. But Cap and Thor sequels both being directed by TV directors really shows me 2 things. 1 Marvel is going with the cheapest options so they can put more money into casting and effects. 2. These movies are really a product of the producers, luckily it's been working so far. If Avengers 2 doesn't make more money and get as good of reviews as the first one I bet they drop Joss. Just saying.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Official: Frank Grillo to play Crossbones in Captain America: The Winter Soldier - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2j9

Last edited by P1NSTR1PEZ; 10-29-2012 at 05:48 PM..
Old 10-30-2012, 12:06 AM
I'm really happy to see Frank Grillo finally starting to get some great parts in high profile projects. I've been a fan of his since Prison Break. And, as far as I'm concerned, he deserves a freaking Oscar nomination for his amazing work this year in The Grey!
Old 02-02-2013, 01:18 AM
After months of speculation, Captain America: The Winter Soldier finally lands female lead - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2AY
Old 02-02-2013, 04:26 AM
Oooh,good pic. Emily Van Camp is fantastic on Revenge.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:29 PM
Emily Van Camp is a cutie, Revenge is a pretty good show, but it got a little too repetitive for me, not Van Camp's fault however.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:36 PM
Kevin Feige describes this to be more of a political thriller, and talks about how with comic book movies because there is so much difference you can put a sub genre on each one too.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=100728
Old 02-23-2013, 01:22 AM
If it's legitimately a "Jack Ryan with a shield" that it's rumored to be then Fuck Yeah. That's not a cookie cutter superhero sequel. Thats awesome.

For the record, I think the first one was the worst film Marvel did. The quite-literal AMERICA! FUCK YEAH! montage in the middle of the film was bad, the punch-hitler-tour was bad, and they should have set more of it in the present. It had a lot of problems and needed alot of complicated effects (Skinny Steve) to work for a huge chunk of the film. The sequel, at least, can toss all that aside and just make a good action movie without having to worry about a period feel or about having your main character be CGI for 45 minutes.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderStorm View Post
Kevin Feige describes this to be more of a political thriller, and talks about how with comic book movies because there is so much difference you can put a sub genre on each one too.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=100728
Nice, I was gonna post this if someone didn't beat to the punch. I think this is an intriguing idea!
Old 02-23-2013, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn-o View Post
Nice, I was gonna post this if someone didn't beat to the punch. I think this is an intriguing idea!
Same, I think it is a pretty cool way to look at the genre.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:28 PM
Quote:
If it's legitimately a "Jack Ryan with a shield" that it's rumored to be then Fuck Yeah. That's not a cookie cutter superhero sequel. Thats awesome.

For the record, I think the first one was the worst film Marvel did. The quite-literal AMERICA! FUCK YEAH! montage in the middle of the film was bad, the punch-hitler-tour was bad, and they should have set more of it in the present. It had a lot of problems and needed alot of complicated effects (Skinny Steve) to work for a huge chunk of the film. The sequel, at least, can toss all that aside and just make a good action movie without having to worry about a period feel or about having your main character be CGI for 45 minutes.
"Jack Ryan with a Shield" That would be too much awesome to withstand.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:29 PM
Robert Redford is joining the cast as a SHIELD agent and apparently Georges St. Pierre has been cast to play Batroc the Leaper. I don't know who Batroc the Leaper is that is I'll have to look at wikipedia haha.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Bartoc ze Leaper, everyone.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:44 PM
I was always looking forward to this sequel because I loved the first one, but with Redford joining the cast, well now I'm SUPER excited about it!
Old 04-02-2013, 11:39 AM
awesome piece of concept art.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:18 PM
wow, it looks like they're going all-in on this one, with the cybernetic arm and everything.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:26 AM
WATCH - Marvel's Phase 2 Preview is here! Ant-Man, Iron Man 3, The Avengers 2, Thor: The Dark World, Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Check it out - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2Oy
Old 04-03-2013, 12:28 PM
Quote:
awesome piece of concept art.

Awesome indeed! Also...

Old 04-08-2013, 02:10 PM
Filming has begun today. Here a new plot synopsis.

Quote:
“Captain America: The Winter Soldier” will pick-up where “Marvel’s The Avengers” left off, as Steve Rogers struggles to embrace his role in the modern world and teams up with Natasha Romanoff, a.k.a. Black Widow, to battle a powerful yet shadowy enemy in present-day Washington, D.C.
And our first still.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/here...winter-soldier
Old 04-08-2013, 02:31 PM

Thanks for the updates folks!

I'm actually looking forward to this. I enjoyed the first one (thought Evans was the perfect choice to play Captain America).

Who is the villain in this btw?
Old 04-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Thanks for the updates folks!

I'm actually looking forward to this. I enjoyed the first one (thought Evans was the perfect choice to play Captain America).

Who is the villain in this btw?
Bucky.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:51 PM
I'm pretty pumped for this...enjoyed the first entry and obviously Avengers was kick ass....
Old 04-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Bucky.
In the comics, the villian was a russian businessman named Alexander Lukin, whose mind was forged with the Red Skull (via the cosmic cube. Remember, the cosmic cube is "monkey's paw", it granted the Skull's wish to live, when he was killed in the first issue, by forging his mind with the man who ordered the skull's death, Lukin), eventually, the skull escapes this time share. So, the villian in the comics is the red skull. Wonder if Hugo Weaving will be back in this film, haven't heard his name bandied about.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:40 AM
First look at Anthony Mackie as The Falcon?

When he was being interviewed about Captain America: the Winter Soldier the other day, actor Anthony Mackie commented that some photos of him in costume had just hit the Internet.

We, like many fans out there, assumed that he meant the concept art officially released with the Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase One box set, which gave fans an early peek at what his character, The Falcon, might look like onscreen–but it seems likely he meant these photos, just published by Lainey Gossip, showing him doing green screen and wire work on the film’s set.
http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/05/01...ook-at-falcon/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anthony-mackie-01may13-04-257x300.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	12113  
Old 06-03-2013, 07:33 PM
wtf I just looked to see who was directing this and its the Russo brothers who directed You Me and Dupree. Umm you mean to tell me Marvel couldnt find a better director than that?

My anticipation kinda took a nose dive here.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
wtf I just looked to see who was directing this and its the Russo brothers who directed You Me and Dupree. Umm you mean to tell me Marvel couldnt find a better director than that?

My anticipation kinda took a nose dive here.
Give it a chacne. You and Me and Dupree was cery well acted and directed, imoh.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandgurl View Post
Give it a chacne. You and Me and Dupree was cery well acted and directed, imoh.
yeah I'll definitely give it a chance but I'm very skeptical cause these guys havent done action films or seem like they even know anything about comics but what the hell do I know, maybe they are comic experts.

Anyways, I'll probably judge it by how good the trailer is and how good the reviews are.

I mildly enjoyed the first one particularly cause the villian was so bad ass. I dont know how they are gonna top Red Skull but we shall see.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:49 AM
Comic-Con poster

Old 07-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Comic-Con poster

That is truly awesome!

Echo I felt the same, check out my post at the beginning of the thread, but all the news from production has got me excited. Now I only wish it had a better release date, I like Marvel films opening the first weekend of May, they should have put Cap 2 there and forced Amazing Spider-Man 2 to change dates. Some will argue since the release of 300 or Fast and Furious 4 that April has become the new start of the summer season but I just don't feel that.