Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Best/Worst/Favorites/Etc..
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which Film Will Be The Biggest Oscar Bomb?
Anna Karenina 4 23.53%
Django Unchained 0 0%
The Great Gatsby 6 35.29%
Les Miserables 3 17.65%
Life Of Pi 2 11.76%
Lincoln 0 0%
The Master 1 5.88%
Other 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2012, 12:07 AM
Which Film Do You Think Will Be The Biggest Oscar Bomb This Year?

We had the thread guessing which film will win best picture next year, but let's take those same films being predicted for Oscar glory, and guess which one will be the biggest bomb. I'm only posting the ones that I hear the biggest buzz for so far, but I do have The Other option on the poll. I'm not including Beasts of the Southern wild or The Surrogate because we already have reviews for them, positive for both.

Last year around this time, J. Edgar was predicted to get a shitload of nomiations and a probable win for DiCaprio and we know what happened there.

What I'm really asking is which films do you think will get zero nominations or at least none of the big ones being predicted for it.

Last edited by Matchbox225; 07-17-2012 at 12:21 AM..
Old 07-17-2012, 12:14 AM
I think The Great Gatsby will either be a huge winner or gigantic loser. I'm curious to see which one it will be.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:17 AM
If I knew the budget for Les Miserables and Anna Karenina, I'd have a better chance at guessing. But for the rest, The Great Gatsby will make a lot of its more international, Life of Pi I can't imagine costing too much to make, so it should at least break even. Lincoln only cost an estimated $50 million to make, it's not going to flop, and it'll most likely sweep the Oscars along with The Master. Django Unchained will perform like most Tarantino movies, so it won't flop, it'll be ignored critical, but spilt fans of his work.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
I think The Great Gatsby will either be a huge winner or gigantic loser. I'm curious to see which one it will be.
That's what I voted for too. I'm worried about the casting and the 3-D aspect.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:20 AM
To clarify again, I'm really asking which films you think will end up with zero nominations or at least none of the big ones being predicted for it.

They could fail either because of the reviews or the box office, but in the case of J. Edgar, it was the reviews.

I think for certain movies, the box office will a bigger factor in the Oscar nominations it could get.

The Great Gatsby or Les Miserables I don't think need to get amazing reviews, but probably at least need decent box office to stay alive. The Master is more likely going to live or die by the reviews.

Last edited by Matchbox225; 07-17-2012 at 12:25 AM..
Old 07-17-2012, 12:48 AM
I voted other. Prometheus
Old 07-17-2012, 12:51 AM
Somewhat unrelated but if Prometheus doesn't get nominated for best score, I will slip my fhit.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
I voted other. Prometheus
Prometheus will get some technical nominations but it definitely won't be up for any of the major categories.

I had my problems with the movie, but it DEFINITELY oscar nominations for art direction, cinematography and visual effects. Probably makeup too.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:59 AM
I could definitely see Anna Karenina be virtually ignored by the Academy. Especially with so much competition it has.

Another movie that looks great but could also end up getting lost in the shuffle with so competition is Ben Affleck's new film, Argo.

Last edited by ilovemovies; 07-17-2012 at 01:06 AM..
Old 07-17-2012, 07:35 AM
Oh! Well, to answer the original question. Django Unchained will be the biggest Oscar bomb from that list.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:11 PM
Life of Pi is my pick, although I'm honestly not too keen on The Great Gatsby either.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Anna Karenina, easily. Gatsby is a possibility, but with the talent involved combined with the source material, it's tough to bet against it at this point.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:43 PM
I went with The Great Gatsby, because it looks terrible, though it's partly wishful thinking because I hate Baz Luhrmann and after the debacle of Australia he was still somehow able to convince a studio to let him adapt the great 20th century American novel so I hope it crashes and burns as the final nail in the coffin on his career.

Honestly, I could see Life of Pi, Anna Karenina, or Les Miserables all potentially flopping with Oscar voters.

I feel more often than not these days the "obvious frontrunner" based on prestige, story, director, and cast for best picture several months out winds up getting ignored come Oscar time. In the last few years J. Edgar, Invictus, The Lovely Bones, Revolutionary Road, Dreamgirls, Memoirs of A Geisha, The Human Stain, etc. were all considered by many to be clear Best Picture gold and suffered from overhype and high expectations, or just weren't very good, or both.

I think you have to go back to to 2003 to find the last movie - Return of The King - that was easy to predict as a winner pre-summer and even then, even or better money was on Cold Mountain months in advance. A Beautiful Mind is probably the last real "duh, of course that will win" movie to go all the way.

I don't think The Master, due to its scientology issue and Anderson being a fucking genius, has a chance at winning Best Picture, nor does Django, and I'm skeptical that they'll be awarding Spielberg again especially for so obviously baity a movie and with him in schmaltzier than usual mode lately. In all likelihood, the winner of Best Picture will be a movie not on our radars yet as a contender.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUENTIN View Post
I went with The Great Gatsby, because it looks terrible, though it's partly wishful thinking because I hate Baz Luhrmann and after the debacle of Australia he was still somehow able to convince a studio to let him adapt the great 20th century American novel so I hope it crashes and burns as the final nail in the coffin on his career.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:37 PM
Aw, I loved Australia.

I mean, the movie wasn't perfect. It was kind of weird, tonally, in the beginning. But once they started moving the cattle, the movie found it's groove and I was into it. And it's such a gorgeous looking movie too!

Then again, I also loved Moulin Rouge as well. Beyond being such a beautiful looking movie, it's a great love story with wonderful work from Kidman and especially McGregor.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:28 AM
Now I want The Great Gatsby to win the Oscar just to piss Quentin off.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:45 PM
I'm with QUENTIN. Fuck The Great Gatsby. Baz Luhrmann can make a pretty-looking film, but that's about it. He's the Michael Bay of romance films.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchbox225 View Post
We had the thread guessing which film will win best picture next year, but let's take those same films being predicted for Oscar glory, and guess which one will be the biggest bomb. I'm only posting the ones that I hear the biggest buzz for so far, but I do have The Other option on the poll. I'm not including Beasts of the Southern wild or The Surrogate because we already have reviews for them, positive for both.

Last year around this time, J. Edgar was predicted to get a shitload of nomiations and a probable win for DiCaprio and we know what happened there.

What I'm really asking is which films do you think will get zero nominations or at least none of the big ones being predicted for it.
Man, I'm not sure but you are dead on about J Edgar. what a POS film that was. I was expecting greatness but we got a turd instead.

I like Leo but I'll probably go with The Great Gatsby. Looks like Leo did it for a paycheck.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:24 AM
The Oscar ceremony is the least funny joke I've ever heard. What exactly is it an award for? What makes something "best of the year"? These awards have been given to children. They have been given to computer animators. They have been given to Randy Newman, and some mulatto who couldn't act in a preschool play. Stop judging and just appreciate art. And if it's not art, well, then you can probably masturbate to it.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:56 AM
Well The Great Gatsby is no longer an option seeing as it's been pushed to 2013.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swindle1977 View Post
and some mulatto
The fuck??
Old 08-22-2012, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid Vicious View Post
The fuck??
I think they prefer the term "hybrid" now.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid Vicious View Post
The fuck??

Ignore the troll, all 3 of his posts are obvious fail troll attempts. I would bet this is a recently banned member, or a member with a high post count created a new account to troll with to start trouble.....
Old 08-22-2012, 10:39 PM
This poll has actually become more difficult now without The Great Gatsby in the running. I guess it's for the best. If the movie had bombed horribly, that would have been two in row for DiCaprio and he doesn't need that.

On the other hand, it could have also sent him the message that Obvious Oscar bait isn't the way to go. Hopefully he delivers in Django.

I guess i'm going with either Anna Karenina or Les Miserables for now, leaning more toward AK.

Last edited by Matchbox225; 08-22-2012 at 10:42 PM..
Old 08-24-2012, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUENTIN View Post
I think you have to go back to to 2003 to find the last movie - Return of The King - that was easy to predict as a winner pre-summer and even then, even or better money was on Cold Mountain months in advance. A Beautiful Mind is probably the last real "duh, of course that will win" movie to go all the way.
Very good point. I do think, however that this year it will be something that's at least on the radar, even if it's not one of the front runners (Lincoln, Les Miz, The Master). If I had to bet on a dark horse, I'd say To the Wonder or Moonrise Kingdom.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
I could definitely see Anna Karenina be virtually ignored by the Academy. Especially with so much competition it has.
This. In terms of which film will win, my money is on The Master, despite the disadvantages that Quentin pointed out. Paul Thomas Anderson's films are hopefully recognised as conventional or 'American' enough for him not to be snubbed like Kubrick and Lynch.

If not, The Man with the Iron Fists.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:36 AM
I could see Paul Thomas Anderson being award in screenplay. The Master could go the way of previous Best Picture nominees like Little Miss Sunshine, Sideways, and Lost In Translation with screenplay as like a consolation prize.

Of course the same could be said for Moonrise Kingdom this year, assuming it makes Best Picture and a few other categories.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:40 AM
After seeing the trailer for The Great Gatsby, I was completely turned off and thought there's no way this thing is gonna make money.

But I've been wrong before.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
After seeing the trailer for The Great Gatsby, I was completely turned off and thought there's no way this thing is gonna make money.

But I've been wrong before.
I was completely turned off too but I think it WILL make a lot of money.