Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
I'm still probably not going to see Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones in 3D, but I'm kind of warming up to Episodes III-VI. I don't give a damn about the 3D, but it's Star Wars on the big screen, and I've always loved Star Wars and the big screen experience. When the special editions were released in theaters, I only caught A New Hope. I'd kinda like to see more Star Wars movies on the big screen. If it's in 3D, it's in 3D. But it's still Star Wars.
Get a home theater. You can afford one with what we pay in tickets and popcorn. Plus, no annoying people
Old 02-02-2012, 02:40 AM
Oh I've got a home theater: plasma TV, surround sound, blu-ray, etc. I even all 6 Star Wars movies on blu-ray AND DVD.

But I still love the theater experience. And it's been a while since I've seen the Star Wars movies, particularly the original trilogy, in theaters.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:41 AM
I've got the prequel and the limited edition original trilogy on DVD.... But have lately been considering getting all 6 on Blu-Ray now as well. Think it's worth it?
Old 02-03-2012, 03:18 AM
As much as I hate continuing to give my money to 3D gimmicks, against my better judgment I really want to see these films again in the theater. At least this time when I see the Phantom Menace I won't leave the theater disgusted at the horrid Yoda and the bad dubbing of Jar Jar.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Oh I've got a home theater: plasma TV, surround sound, blu-ray, etc. I even all 6 Star Wars movies on blu-ray AND DVD.

But I still love the theater experience. And it's been a while since I've seen the Star Wars movies, particularly the original trilogy, in theaters.
I dont know why more theaters or studios don't re release older movies for a week or two. There are times during the year where a screen or two can be used for re releases. I am not talking Avatar for extra mins a few month later. I am talking T2, Indiana Jones and LOTR.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
I dont know why more theaters or studios don't re release older movies for a week or two. There are times during the year where a screen or two can be used for re releases. I am not talking Avatar for extra mins a few month later. I am talking T2, Indiana Jones and LOTR.
I would go and watch Indiana Jones again on the big screen.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:07 PM
I saw a great promo on tv for this the other day. I wanted to go out and see. I will stay strong. Where are my dvds?
Old 02-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Im not the hugest star wars fan by any means,and i dont support Lucas and all these re-re-re-releases,but i read an article on cracked.com about this.

heres the link

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-things...-george-lucas/

Some of it is actually pretty spot on,other parts im just not that educated in the star wars universe,but its still a good read
Old 04-09-2012, 08:19 PM
How about fuck George Lucas, no Star Wars...period.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:39 AM
instead of watching these films..

I put on these reviews and enjoy myself for an hour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI
Old 09-03-2012, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Halloween View Post
Changes that I didn't mind:
-The Jabba's Scene in "A new hope".
-Those lizard things that the stormtroopers had in Tattoine.
-The Emperor hologram in "The Empire Strikes back"
-The music band at Jabba's palace.

Changes that I didn't like
-Greedo shooting first.
-Bobba Fett's cameo in "A new hope".
-Hayden Christensen at the ending of "Return of the Jedi".

I'd love to see the OT on the big screen again, but not in 3D. I hope watching it in 2D could be an option but I doubt it.
Agreed. I liked the new look for the Max Rebo band and I actually listen to the song on my iPod, and I liked them bringing Ian McDiarmid in to be the ESB hologram. Those were fine by me, but the Greedo thing bugs me mostly because it was so unnecessary. Plus, given the kind of hands Greedo had, I doubt he'd be that fast a draw anyway.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:55 PM
I don't know why we're giving shit to George Lucas for what was most likely a company's decision to re-release the films in 3D. And can you blame them? Two out of the three films in the prequel trilogy are Certified Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes (and Episode I comes damn close) and the original trilogy is beloved by millions of people.

These films have made over 4 billion dollars in box office sales and loads of successful films are being re-released in 3D: The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Monsters, Inc., Finding Nemo, Titanic, etc., but no one seems to care that those are being re-released in 3D.

Now to be clear, I don't like the Star Wars prequels (except Episode III which is entertaining), but I can absolutely understand why they're being re-released in 3D.

I'll refer you to this thread: http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthre...71#post3594771

George Lucas is a pioneer, visionary, and one of the most important filmmakers in cinematic history.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magjournal View Post
George Lucas is a pioneer, visionary, and one of the most important filmmakers in cinematic history.
Who totally peaked in the 80's and has largely just been a big, fat sponge for people's money ever since.

I can't wait for him to die, so we can get someone with some talent come out with new Star Wars movies.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:39 PM
He helped bring about a huge influx of independent filmmaking by advocating for the legitimacy of the digital format in Hollywood filmmaking. People who had used cheaper digital cameras to make movies were being taken more seriously as filmmakers because of George Lucas's efforts. Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace was the first film to be projected in cinemas in the digital format, where, at the time, there were roughly four theaters across the nation, two in Los Angeles and two in New York, that had digital projection screens.

So again, I'll say that he's a pioneer, a visionary, and one of the most important filmmakers in cinematic history.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Quote:
He helped bring about a huge influx of independent filmmaking by advocating for the legitimacy of the digital format in Hollywood filmmaking. People who had used cheaper digital cameras to make movies were being taken more seriously as filmmakers because of George Lucas's efforts. Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace was the first film to be projected in cinemas in the digital format, where, at the time, there were roughly four theaters across the nation, two in Los Angeles and two in New York, that had digital projection screens.

So again, I'll say that he's a pioneer, a visionary, and one of the most important filmmakers in cinematic history.
I was at the one in CA. I still have the tshirt to prove it. There were 3 theaters as I was told at that time. The one in NY was actually in Secaucus, NJ, so said the projector people who had a huge speech and took questions beforehand. I dont watch many independent movies, so take is meaningless to me.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Quote:
I was at the one in CA. I still have the tshirt to prove it. There were 3 theaters as I was told at that time. The one in NY was actually in Secaucus, NJ, so said the projector people who had a huge speech and took questions beforehand. I dont watch many independent movies, so take is meaningless to me.
It shouldn't be meaningless to you. Do you know how many prolific filmmakers started off making independent movies?

Martin Scorsese
Christopher Nolan
Kevin Smith
Darren Aronofsky
Stanley Kubrick
Quentin Tarantino
Ethan and Joel Coen
David Lynch
Woody Allen
Sofia Coppola
Spike Lee
Robert Rodriguez
Spike Jonze
Wes Anderson
Danny Boyle
Abel Ferrara
John Carpenter
Gus Van Sant
Sam Raimi
F.W. Murnau
Michael Moore
Richard Linklater
Peter Jackson
Alexander Payne
Steven Soderbergh
George Romero

These are all revered and respected filmmakers and they were able to make films despite the cost of making a film for someone who is unfunded. Given how accessible camera technology is now, and thanks to George Lucas's push for a digital medium, the amount of great filmmakers we'll have in the next twenty years will be staggering. Just because you don't watch independent movies doesn't mean that you won't in some way be affected by them, by a director who was once an independent filmmaker.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:44 PM
Quote:
It shouldn't be meaningless to you. Do you know how many prolific filmmakers started off making independent movies?

Martin Scorsese
Christopher Nolan
Kevin Smith
Darren Aronofsky
Stanley Kubrick
Quentin Tarantino
Ethan and Joel Coen
David Lynch
Woody Allen
Sofia Coppola
Spike Lee
Robert Rodriguez
Spike Jonze
Wes Anderson
Danny Boyle
Abel Ferrara
John Carpenter
Gus Van Sant
Sam Raimi
F.W. Murnau
Michael Moore
Richard Linklater
Peter Jackson
Alexander Payne
Steven Soderbergh
George Romero

These are all revered and respected filmmakers and they were able to make films despite the cost of making a film for someone who is unfunded. Given how accessible camera technology is now, and thanks to George Lucas's push for a digital medium, the amount of great filmmakers we'll have in the next twenty years will be staggering. Just because you don't watch independent movies doesn't mean that you won't in some way be affected by them, by a director who was once an independent filmmaker.
Meaningless. What you just said proves my point (had I made one) Everyone is an independent film maker before they hit it big and make movies I tend to see. I am not saying the movies they make before they hit it big are not any good. I am just saying I have not had much of an interest in them.

Further example: All MLB players were players who came through the minor league system. I have only ever heard of one player who did not in the last 50 years, Dave Winfield. I do not watch minor league baseball.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:49 PM
Quote:
I do not watch minor league baseball.
You should - it's a lot of fun.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:00 AM
Quote:
You should - it's a lot of fun.
Sex is more fun. I rather have sex. I don't get much free time. I have to work too much to pay all the taxes for too many people. Almost $8000 in property taxes. $125 a month in ez pass tolls. I am sure if Obama could tax sex he would.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:16 AM
Quote:
Meaningless. What you just said proves my point (had I made one) Everyone is an independent film maker before they hit it big and make movies I tend to see. I am not saying the movies they make before they hit it big are not any good. I am just saying I have not had much of an interest in them.
Not everyone starts off as an independent filmmaker. Plenty of filmmakers begin as random directors-for-hire for [insert generic movie here]. I don't think you understand the point I'm trying to make. I'm saying that even though independent films are irrelevant to you, many of the greatest filmmakers of all time started as such. Digital filmmaking allows for more independent filmmakers which means more legends in the making. So George Lucas, in promoting the digital format, also promoted more independent filmmaking, which in turn will lead to an influx of successful and acclaimed directors and great motion pictures in the years and even decades to come.

Quote:
Sex is more fun. I rather have sex. I don't get much free time. I have to work too much to pay all the taxes for too many people. Almost $8000 in property taxes. $125 a month in ez pass tolls. I am sure if Obama could tax sex he would.
All of those taxes cut into your hooker budget, I take it.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:55 PM
Quote:
I don't think you understand the point I'm trying to make.

All of those taxes cut into your hooker budget, I take it.
I understand your point. I do not agree with it. Such is life

LOL Hooker budget? That is not what I meant by a sex tax. But if you hear sex and the first thing you think of is hooker...... I am sorry for you.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:02 PM
The problem with Hollywood is not George Lucas. It's the Jews! Mel Gibson is right!
Old 10-22-2012, 08:39 PM

Last edited by PBateman; 10-23-2012 at 06:08 PM..
Old 10-23-2012, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBateman View Post
Wtf?....

You have to be kidding me.

Can we get rid of this ignorant fuck?

And its people like you that is whats wrong with world......go look at the moon or whatever lame shit you went to camp for
I'm pretty sure he's joking, bruh.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:07 PM
Quote:
I'm pretty sure he's joking, bruh.
Yeah i realize that today. I had a few cocktails lastnight and given his track record of posting crap lke that i took it as he was serious
Old 11-11-2012, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Colyer View Post
The problem with Hollywood is not George Lucas. It's the Jews! Mel Gibson is right!
This dude cracks me up.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Colyer View Post
I am very happy George sold to Disney. I have faith that Disney will do the right things with this concept and the people will be happy. Thank for Mr Lucas for stepping aside.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:39 AM
I think its starting to become apparent that the most difficult challenge of these new star wars movies is the question of who the director will be. Everyone is turning it down! Do you think its because they are scared for their career or they also think that the movie is just a bad idea in general? this article goes through some of the directors that have already said no.. its crazy

http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/...down-star-wars
Old 11-13-2012, 09:42 AM
It's a good question kat-schauf. Would you mind posting it again here: http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3623758
That way the Star Wars related discussions are a bit more central.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:30 AM
I don't care if they're 3D, digitally enhanced or remastered. No matter what they do to the Star Wars films, they'll still be crap.