Old 08-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Lawless

Directed by John Hillcoat

Written by Nick Cave

Genre: Crime

Plot Outline: Set in the Depression-era Franklin County, Virginia, a bootlegging gang is threatened by authorities who want a cut of their profits.

Starring: Tom Hardy, Shia LaBeouf, Gary Oldman, Guy Pearce, Jessica Chastain, Mia Wasikowska

Rated R for strong bloody violence, language and some sexuality/nudity

Runtime: 115 minutes

Can't wait. I'm a big fan of John Hillcoat, the cast is great, and it's my kind of movie. It should end a rather mediocre summer movie season on a high note.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:41 PM
Saw it on Monday, pretty excellent. Hillcoat's not doing anything particularly special here, but that okay. Its a extremely violent, badass flick.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:53 PM
Oh, FUCK YES!
Old 08-22-2012, 04:06 PM
Thats a sick poster!
Old 08-22-2012, 07:31 PM
I was sold before but after having just watched the Red-Band trailer my ticket is bought
Old 08-22-2012, 08:34 PM

Hardy is my favorite actor working today (just ahead of Leo & Pitt)

ANd it looks like he's awesome in this as well. Just hope Shia isn't annoying in this. He ruined Wall St for me but I have confidence in Hillcoat.

Oh and you cant go wrong with Oldman & Pierce. Holy shit I actually cant wait for this.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:52 PM
He called me a fuckin' nance!
Old 08-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Looks awesome. Can't wait.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:45 PM
Looking forward to this.

And by the way, if you haven't seen The Proposition - the previous Nick Cave / John Hillcoat collaboration - GO WATCH IT. I did recently and it's pretty fucking awesome. It might get you more excited for Lawless.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beard_of_Meat View Post
I was sold before but after having just watched the Red-Band trailer my ticket is bought
This. That red band trailer was pretty fucking awesome. Can't wait to see the movie next Wednesday!
Old 08-23-2012, 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Oh and you cant go wrong with Oldman & Pierce. Holy shit I actually cant wait for this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyro_44 View Post
Looking forward to this.

And by the way, if you haven't seen The Proposition - the previous Nick Cave / John Hillcoat collaboration - GO WATCH IT. I did recently and it's pretty fucking awesome. It might get you more excited for Lawless.
Lawless is nowhere near as good as The Proposition. It's a fine 7/10 movie, and if you like traditional westerns I'd definitely see Lawless, however it's predictable and how much you like it may well depend on how much you care for LaBeouf as the hero of the tale. As Katsumoto said it's very violent for a mainstream film, so if that floats yer boat you'll probably be happy.

Oh and Gary Oldman is only really in 2 scenes, it's basically an extended cameo.

Last edited by JCR; 08-23-2012 at 01:13 AM..
Old 08-23-2012, 01:17 AM
The red band trailer is what really sold it for me and Tom Hardy is one of my favorite actors working today. LaBeouf is kind of a douche but I don't hate him and Pierce and Oldman are just awesome. Really excited for this.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:21 PM
I really hope this film is great just so that I can write my one sentence review: Lawless is Flawless.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:21 PM

Headed to see this in like 20 minutes! F Yeah!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:34 PM
My first 10 of the year. Great performances by all involved.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:47 PM

I liked it. Also thought Shia's character was very likable in this.

Guy Pearce is cold blooded as hell and Tom Hardy once again proves he's one of the best in the business

8/10
Old 08-30-2012, 12:37 AM
These minimalist reviews are killing me. I need to see this ASAP!

I have one question, and it's a general question, but one I never really see addressed. When the film is not a thriller or mystery or horror movie, why is "predictably" such a deterrent?
Old 08-30-2012, 03:13 AM
I didn't think it was great, but it was pretty solid stuff. Shai is definitely very likeable, as is Tom Hardy and Guy Pearce is such a great bad guy. You want him to get his comeuppance so bad!

Spoiler:
The scene where Pearce kicks the shit out of Shai's character was fucking brutal.

In fact, there were many shockingly brutal scenes.

My only complaint is that Gary Oldman is barely in it. It really is just a cameo.

Not really a complaint but . . .

Spoiler:
It really sucks that Shai's character ruins how Hardy eventually dies. There is something amusing that, of all things he survives throughout the movie, it's pneumonia from falling into the ice water that kills him. It sucks that they say that, because I was starting to think he practically immortal considering that he survives getting slit in the throat AND getting shot several times!

And good god, Jessica Chastain is without a doubt one of the most beautiful women in the world! Yowza! LOVE her nude scene! I'm officially in love!
Old 08-30-2012, 06:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
And good god, Jessica Chastain is without a doubt one of the most beautiful women in the world! Yowza! LOVE her nude scene! I'm officially in love!
That was worth the price of the admission
Old 09-01-2012, 03:19 AM
Lawless was great.

- Hardy is the absolute cream of the crop, transformed AGAIN into the role
- LaBeouf's best career performance, well done as he heads into Nymphomaniac. Hopefully he does equally as good a job with Redford in The Company You Keep
- Guy Pearce plays the best villain of 2012, better than Bane. Some vile and awesome
- either #2 or #3 on my best of 2012 list thus far
Old 09-02-2012, 01:26 AM
One of the bigger disappointments for me.

I just found it to be fairly boring.

The violence in the movie was pretty awesome, and the comedy

Spoiler:
Mainly Tom Hardy being invincible, especially the end when he comes out of the water

was pretty on point.

The acting was all top notch, Jessica Chastain is a great actress, and seeing her naked in this movie was very nice.

It just, the only way to explain my feeling is that it let me down.

Guy Pearce was a great villain though, in the vain of Hans Landa from Inglorious Bastards.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
I didn't think it was great, but it was pretty solid stuff. Shai is definitely very likeable, as is Tom Hardy and Guy Pearce is such a great bad guy. You want him to get his comeuppance so bad!

Spoiler:
The scene where Pearce kicks the shit out of Shai's character was fucking brutal.

In fact, there were many shockingly brutal scenes.

My only complaint is that Gary Oldman is barely in it. It really is just a cameo.

Not really a complaint but . . .

Spoiler:
It really sucks that Shai's character ruins how Hardy eventually dies. There is something amusing that, of all things he survives throughout the movie, it's pneumonia from falling into the ice water that kills him. It sucks that they say that, because I was starting to think he practically immortal considering that he survives getting slit in the throat AND getting shot several times!

This..Though on Jessica Chastain I still find her walking a very fine line between being ugly/beautiful..I tend to find her more on the beautiful side but sometimes she looks downright nasty.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:16 PM
It's extremely entertaining, well-shot, well-acted, and has an incredible score/soundtrack (that rendition of White Light/White Heat in the middle of the movie is terrific). It has a few things going against it though. While it's never boring, the structuring is a bit off (there are a couple of subplots that probably could have been cut). I also thought the ending could have been better. Overall though, I thought it was very good and I can see myself watching it again in the future.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:21 PM
I really liked this movie a lot. The intensity really got me into and its just beautifully shot, and with the talent involved I expected nothing less. I agree with Bourne that it had kind of a weird structure but it wasn't necessarily boring. Pearce was just fucking brutal he was such an asshole he did a great job. Tom Hardy was great as well as was all the cast. Probably my 2nd favorite movie of the summer.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:44 AM
From what i have read over the years and watched on the History and Bio channels ,it seems like everyone was neck deep in or wanted to
be a part of the very lucrative moonshine bootleg business.From city gangsters to country farmers and this is brought to bloody life
in the film Lawless.
This story focuses on the Bondurant brothers -- Forrest (Tom Hardy), Howard (Jason Clarke) and Jack (Shia LaBeouf) who
are very succesful,but soon face opposition in the form of Special Agent Charlie Rakes (Guy Pearce who almost resembles a snake)
who is so sadistic and brutal i immediately developed a love to hate attitude towards him.
LaBeouf displays a good amount of emotion whether its humiliation or grief,its one of his best performances,but its
Hardy who comes out on top as his eyes peek from beneath his hat,and he murmurs and grunts there is a
fearless nature to him,brutal when he needs to be and displaying care when it comes to the woman he falls for
Maggie Beauford (Jessica Chastain),or counseling his brothers.Hardy handles it all with ease.
There is a sweetness to the romance between Jack and the church going Bertha Minnix (Mia Wasikowska),but
it felt like a wedged in distraction from the action .Gary Oldmans role as gangster Floyd Banner is far too brief.

Director John Hillcoat masterfully raises the tension in several scenes as a light snow falls and the darkness of night
quietly surrounds a road or farmhouse,or as a character is lead into the dark parts of a wooded area.
Lawless is not a perfect film but it is a great film to end the summer movie season with.
Scale of 1-10 an 8
Old 09-03-2012, 04:02 PM
An absolute damn shame this has only made 15 million so far....John Hillcoat deserves better.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:47 AM
This looks like Public Enemies. Only it's for frat boys and high school kids.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU80 View Post
Public Enemies doesn't hold a candle to Lawless
Old 09-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Quote:

As having Johnny Depp star doesn't...

I'm confused.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:56 PM
I like Lawless a lot but I liked Public Enemies more.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Only it's for frat boys and high school kids.
You must have been looking for the Savages thread....

Spoiler:
Old 09-06-2012, 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beard_of_Meat View Post
Public Enemies doesn't hold a candle to Lawless
Okay. Lol.

One is a historical account of real life villains during an extremely fragile time in America's history. Directed by Michael Mann, no less.

Lawless is a West Virginians, moonshine, bootleggin', wet dream.

Like Brad Bitt says in Se7en: "Your a fucking t-shirt. At best."

It'll be on AMC in a year.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Nice, generalizing a whole state, very nice.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Okay. Lol.

One is a historical account of real life villains during an extremely fragile time in America's history. Directed by Michael Mann, no less.

Like Brad Bitt says in Se7en: "Your a fucking t-shirt. At best."

It'll be on AMC in a year.
Actually both are technically Historical accounts of real life villians during an extremely fragile time in America's history and 2nd I beleive Brad said "You're a fucking t-shirt.At best."...and personally I rather expected more from Mann with Public Enemies
Old 09-08-2012, 05:33 PM
8/10. Everything, technically, was completely on point. The performances REALLY put this thing over the top for me. And subject matter is right up my alley. Loved it.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:07 PM
It's a solid effort; it certainly doesn't reinvent the wheel. And, after "The Proposition" and "The Road," John Hillcoat seems to be establishing himself as the new king of brutal films (as well as turning Guy Pearce into his De Niro) . Pearce's mostly-shaved-off eyebrows gave his character a real sickly edge, I thought. Yes, this is easily Shia LaBeouf's best performance to date. And, yes, Jessica Chastain going full-frontal was a nice bonus.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:35 PM
6.5/10

The bursts of intensity contained in this period piece and the fine performances elevate what is a somewhat dull and an average film. Every year I find myself looking back on “not bad/not good” movie efforts and this film is destined to end up right in the middle of that average pack. It seems there was a better story to be told here but the script was always on the fringes of it. The leads lacked charm and charisma. I also expected more in terms of the tough guy violence but there really is very little of it in the film. Sure, there are a few gruesome scenes but not really the action that they were promoting and certainly nowhere near epic. Overall, it’s made for cable TV quality and nothing more.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChar4321 View Post
Overall, it’s made for cable TV quality and nothing more.
Oh, come on.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChar4321 View Post
6.5/10

The bursts of intensity contained in this period piece and the fine performances elevate what is a somewhat dull and an average film. Every year I find myself looking back on “not bad/not good” movie efforts and this film is destined to end up right in the middle of that average pack. It seems there was a better story to be told here but the script was always on the fringes of it. The leads lacked charm and charisma. I also expected more in terms of the tough guy violence but there really is very little of it in the film. Sure, there are a few gruesome scenes but not really the action that they were promoting and certainly nowhere near epic. Overall, it’s made for cable TV quality and nothing more.
Translation: Compared to The Avengers, every other movie is either average or terrible.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xseanymacx View Post
Nice, generalizing a whole state, very nice.
Sorry.

Didn't really mean it like that.