Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2012, 12:20 AM
First one to a Second Oscar: Ben Affleck or Matt Damon?

Just something I was thinking about earlier today. You have these 2 guys, and when it came to acting, Damon for a long time seemed to be pulling in the more respected projects, even earning an additional nomination for Invictus. While Affleck took a very public beating from everyone in the world it seemed for his acting choices.

And now you have Affleck come out and quickly becoming one of the best directors out there, and because of that, his acting has taken an uptick as well, cuz he was awesome in The Town and word is Argo is also amazing.

Perhaps this question is a bit moot, because early word has it that Affleck is all but guaranteed a nomination for Argo (Directing)

but I do want to discuss this: Who do you all think, of the Good Will Hunting Triumphant Twosome, will be the first person to earn their Second Oscar?

I think it will be Affleck for Directing, even if he doesnt win this year for Argo, his first 2 movies were ones he should have been nominated for, and once the Academy starts to realize they have to recognize him, he will start racking in the awards, the way Eastwood did.

But I do also see Damon one day taking home an acting win, I just think Affleck will get to the podium first!
Old 09-01-2012, 12:28 AM
Ben Affleck will probably win another Oscar before Matt Damon. I think it's very possible that Matt Damon never gets another Oscar for the rest of his career.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:56 AM
Yeah Affleck's momentum is pretty strong. He's also hitting a lot of different things with writing, directing, acting. Damon never actually won for acting but that seems to be where he's focusing himself at this point.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:43 AM
If Argo is even just half as great as it looks, my bet will be with Ben. I'm seriously anticipating this gets multiple oscar nominations.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:17 PM
I'm thinking Affleck will win another before Damon, but I don't know if it will be for Argo.

I think the movie looks great, but will the Oscars really reward it. I can see nominations, including possibly director, but I don't see any wins, atm.

I see that Affleck didn't write the script for this one, but if the movie is loved enough for the Academy to give it wins, Affleck has a shot in director. But I still think he is more likely to win another writing Oscar than one for directing or acting. He got close to screenplay noms for his previous two films.

Usually if you have a writer-director nominated for both categories at the Oscars, they will reward them in writing. Ex: Alexander Payne, The Coen Brothers (Fargo), Jane Campion, Sofia Coppola, Neil Jordan (The Crying Game), and Woody Allen just last year. That's where my thinking is coming from.

But like I said, if the Academy really loves the movie and wants to reward Affleck, it will have to be for directing this time or even Best Picture since he's a producer.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
If Argo is even just half as great as it looks, my bet will be with Ben. I'm seriously anticipating this gets multiple oscar nominations.
This
Old 09-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Gotta go with Affleck here.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:46 AM
Tough question...

Well if I'm thinking of who has the best chance to get it first, I'd say Ben for directing. But I think that Matt has the better acting chops and has a better chance of getting an Oscar for acting. But I think for both of them it's going to be a long shot.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Damon has been nominated twice for his acting, has been the lead in a Best Picture winning film, a major player in two other Best Picture nominees, and has given several performances (Talented Mr. Ripley, The Good Shepherd, The Informant, True Grit) that were shortlisted as likely nominees. He appears in 3-4 movies a year on average and works with some of the most acclaimed and awarded directors in the industry. He is widely regarded as the better actor than his BFF.

Affleck has never been nominated for an Oscar since the one he won for Good Will Hunting and has made three films as writer/director in the last five years.

So Damon has a shot at one of two Oscars (Actor and Supporting Actor) every year from one of three or four movies, which he has been up for twice so far, while Affleck has a shot at one or two Oscars (Director and Adapted Screenplay) every two or three years from one movie.

Therefore I think Damon has a much greater likelihood to win another Oscar than Affleck.

Last edited by QUENTIN; 09-06-2012 at 11:31 PM..
Old 09-06-2012, 05:27 PM
I think Q's logic is spot-on. Personally I think they'll both win another Oscar at some point.

I don't think it's at all crazy to believe that Affleck could win one first, but I struggle to believe he'll have much of a chance with Argo unless all of the big-name films coming out majorly flop with the Academy. I'm very very excited about the film, almost as much as I am for anything else this year. But overcoming a possible nominee list of Spielberg, PTA, Malick, Hooper, Lee, Haneke, Bigelow, Tarantino; not to mention the lesser-known possible contenders (Zeitlin, Bayona). That still leaves out Van Sant, Joe Wright, Wes Anderson... it's hard for me to see Affleck overcoming all those in what is (hopefully) a strong year. Either of the last two years and it might be a different story. But given that he's never even been nominated, seems like a pretty big jump to win.

That said, obviously without having seen the film, I think he WILL be nominated this year and will eventually win.

Damon would seem to be a pretty outside shot for an acting win this year, but he's reliably made good choices and works with the kind of filmmakers who produce winning performances. His time will come.

Last edited by AceD; 09-06-2012 at 05:30 PM..
Old 09-06-2012, 08:51 PM
The problem for Matt Damon is that he mostly isn't a showy actor. Actors like him that are more subtle are always getting overlooked for awards.

He has deserved several nominations for acting and it sucks that his second acting nomination was for Invictus. He should have gotten in for The Informant instead in Best Actor, but that wasn't happening.

It's also possible Damon will direct one day or at least write another script for someone else to direct. I could actually see Affleck directing a script him and Matt write.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Of course, there could always be a narrative this year (the media loves Oscar narratives, right?) about them BOTH potentially winning again. Damon will be in the mix for both Best Actor and Best Original Screenplay for Gus Van Sant's Promised Land, and Affleck will be in contention for Best Director for Argo. It's easy to imagine all the headlines asking, "Could Affleck and Damon win their second Oscars together?"
Old 09-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUENTIN View Post
Damon has been nominated twice for his acting, has been the lead in a Best Picture winning film, a major player in two other Best Picture nominees, and has given several performances (Talented Mr. Ripley, The Good Shepherd, The Informant, True Grit) that were shortlisted as likely nominees. He appears in 3-4 movies a year on average and works with some of the most acclaimed and awarded directors in the industry. He is widely regarded as the better actor than his BFF.

Affleck has never been nominated for an Oscar since the one he won for Good Will Hunting and has made three films as writer/director in the last five years.

So Damon has a shot at one of two Oscars (Actor and Supporting Actor) every year from one of three or four movies, which he has been up for twice so far, while Affleck has a shot at one or two Oscars (Director and Adapted Screenplay) every two or three years from one movie.

Therefore I think Damon has a much greater likelihood to win another Oscar than Affleck.
Yeah, I know. I think Damon is a fine actor and I definitely enjoy his films. However, I don't think I've ever seen a movie of his where I'm wowed by his performance. Invictus and The Talented Mr. Ripley I thought were overrated. I was impressed by him in Good Will Hunting and Courage Under Fire. Everything else is good but not great. Mathematically I guess he does have a greater chance but the question was "who do you think will be the first to a second Oscar?" I"m still going with Affleck.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Affleck. He has been trying and succeeding at making some quality stuff lately. He really dropped making shit a while ago. Damon is more like a Brad Pitt type now. He does quality stuff, but I doubt he will get awards for any of it any time soon
Old 09-07-2012, 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeyjw View Post
It's easy to imagine all the headlines asking, "Could Affleck and Damon win their second Oscars together?"
That would be awesome actually. I don't know much about Promised Land. But I like the cast, Damon cowriting the script makes it sound promising since he and Affleck did such a great job writing Good Will Hunting and of course Gus Van Sant usually delivers. So that's definitely a movie to watch out for.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:55 AM
If you could go to in a time machine to 2002 and tell people from that year that this would actually be a discussion in 10 years, they might kill you.

Amazing how Affleck turned his career around. Still, though, I'm going with Damon for supporting actor if I had to place a specific bet.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
If you could go to in a time machine to 2002 and tell people from that year that this would actually be a discussion in 10 years, they might kill you.

Amazing how Affleck turned his career around. Still, though, I'm going with Damon for supporting actor if I had to place a specific bet.
That's exactly what I was thinking when I read the title of this thread. Back then I never would have even considered having this discussion. However, after watching Gone Baby Gone and The Town, Affleck is definitely on his way. Argo looks fantastic, and if it's half as good as Gone Baby Gone I think we're all in for a real treat.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:55 AM
I agree with the consensus, Affleck's on a role. I don't know if he'll win for Argo, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did. I wouldn't write Damon off completely though; he is a talented actor and could surprise us.

Or he (or they) could write another screenplay that wows everybody again.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe15 View Post
Yeah, I know. I think Damon is a fine actor and I definitely enjoy his films. However, I don't think I've ever seen a movie of his where I'm wowed by his performance. Invictus and The Talented Mr. Ripley I thought were overrated. I was impressed by him in Good Will Hunting and Courage Under Fire. Everything else is good but not great. Mathematically I guess he does have a greater chance but the question was "who do you think will be the first to a second Oscar?" I"m still going with Affleck.
Matt Damon deserved a best actor nomination for his work in The Good Shepherd. He may even deserved to have won. I think it's more worthy than Forest Whitaker's performance in The Last King Scotland.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:46 PM
I'm with everyone else. I'm betting on (and rooting for) Affleck.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeyjw View Post
Of course, there could always be a narrative this year (the media loves Oscar narratives, right?) about them BOTH potentially winning again. Damon will be in the mix for both Best Actor and Best Original Screenplay for Gus Van Sant's Promised Land, and Affleck will be in contention for Best Director for Argo. It's easy to imagine all the headlines asking, "Could Affleck and Damon win their second Oscars together?"
After watching the trailer for Promised Land, I think this is a very real possibility.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:47 PM
I don't think people give Ben Affleck much chance at winning the Oscar in February, since the Academy usually honors both the film and the director. Last time this wasn't the case was in 2006 when Crash won best picture and Ang Lee best director. At least Affleck now has more Golden Globes than Matt Damon.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:47 PM
Affleck was totally snubbed for 'Reindeer Games'. Wait. What?
Old 01-14-2013, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerGarage View Post
Affleck was totally snubbed for 'Reindeer Games'. Wait. What?
Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms, yo!
Old 01-14-2013, 05:52 PM
I still think that Affleck wins a second one first. Matt Damon is a great actor, but he would have to give an undeniable performance to win an acting Oscar and as great as he consistently is, he hasn't done that yet.

Promised Land didn't pan out like many thought and it was his return to writing after a long time.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:53 PM
He could still take home a Best Picture Oscar this year, even though the Oscars will award the Oscar bate of Lincoln (Great Movie, not better than Argo or Zero Dark Thirty)

I havent seen Amour, but I loved FUnny Games, so I am a fan of Haneke, but he will win Best Foreign Language, and I havent seen Beasts of the Southern, but I cant imagine it was better directed than Argo or Zero Dark Thirty (And I say that because the final 30 min of each of those movies are edge of your seat, dont even feel like you are watching a movie excitement and the directors made it that way!)

We shall see... Argo's win at the Globes gives it steam, plus some people could vote Argo for best picture if they feel Affleck was snubbed the way everyone seems to!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:43 PM
Ben is clearly in the superior position to get an Oscar since he can win Best picture with Argo. It's got at least a 1/5 shot of winning Best Picture I believe .
Old 01-16-2013, 01:35 AM
I've been increasingly feeling that Argo is going to win best picture, partially fueled by people voting for it extra hard because Ben didn't get in for Best Director. There's clearly a lot of good will and respect in Hollywood for Ben and the film.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:42 PM
Asked... and Answered!

Very glad Argo won best picture, of the nominees it was and only second to Dark Knight Rises in my book this year
Old 02-24-2013, 11:46 PM
Argo currently ranks #9 in my top 10. But of all the films nominated for best picture, it ranks at #3.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:44 AM
Now that Affleck has a second Oscar, I'm going to take this a step further and say that he wins a third before Damon wins a second.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:39 AM
And just like seven years ago it's Ang Lee who is the best director but not of the best movie
Old 02-26-2013, 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Gotta go with Affleck here.
woohoo! Way to go Affleck
Old 02-26-2013, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchbox225 View Post
Now that Affleck has a second Oscar, I'm going to take this a step further and say that he wins a third before Damon wins a second.
I personally think he should have a third already . . . for directing Argo. Academy dropped the ball on that one.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:52 PM
I'm actually happy the way things turned out, because Ang Lee deserved to win IMO. He's my second favorite director of 2012. My favorite was probably never going to get nominated, since there were some people who considered the movie to be a massive disappointment.