Old 08-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Best Coen brothers characters...

So yeah, who doesn't love the Coen's? Nobody I know. They may not be the best filmmakers working but they write the best characters IMO. If you do not like them, feel free to ignore this thread and go crawl into your hole and remain in the minority.

So, who's the best/funniest/quirkiest/eccentric/coolest/etc Coen character?

My personal favorites are HI McDunnough, Jerry Lundegaard, Chad Feldheimer, and Pete Hogwallop. I really like the dumb asses or even better, the dumb asses who think they are smart. I laugh out loud just thinking about these characters.

Rooster Cogburn is really a cool character but hard to give them full credit for that one.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustysyringe View Post
So yeah, who doesn't love the Coen's?
Lots of stupid people. It's unfortunate, but true.

To answer your question, I particularly love H.I., Nathan Arizona, The Dude, Walter Sobchak, Ulysses Everett McGill, Pete and Delmar.

I also really love Tom Reagan but he sort of falls under your Rooster Cogburn rubric.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson View Post

To answer your question, I particularly love H.I., Nathan Arizona, The Dude, Walter Sobchak, Ulysses Everett McGill, Pete and Delmar.

I also really love Tom Reagan but he sort of falls under your Rooster Cogburn rubric.
You like the funny too, awesome!

I know a lot of people are still gushing over Anton and No Country, rightfully so it is great. But I prefer the Coen's comedy to their more dramatic flicks.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:52 PM
The Dude (Jeff Bridges in The Big Lebowski)
Walter Sobchak (John Goodman in The Big Lebowski)
Jesus Quintana (John Turturro in The Big Lebowski)
Marge Gunderson (Frances McDormand in Fargo)
Jerry Lundergaard (William H. Macy in Fargo)
Anton Chigurh (Javier Bardem in No Country For Old Men)
Rooster Cogburn (Jeff Bridges in True Grit)

I'm not sure if Anton Chigurh or Rooster Cogburn count since the Coens didn't make those characters up, but their versions of those guys are certainly worth note.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:44 PM
Raising Arizona was chalk full of them.

John Goodman and William Forsythe as Gale and Evelle Snoats
Randall Tex Cobb as Leonard Smalls
Cage and Hunter as H.I. and Edwina
Sam McMurray and Frances McDormand as Glen and Dot

Everyone else is a fucking riot too. One of the best movies ever.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:00 PM
I'll try to go with some that haven't been mentioned yet:

Bernie Bernbaum (John Turturro) in Miller's Crossing
Carl Showalter (Steve Bucsemi) in Fargo
Wendell (Garret Dillahunt) in No Country for Old Men
Osborne Cox (John Malkovich) in Burn After Reading
Sy Ableman (Fred Melamed) in A Serious Man

Last edited by Bourne101; 08-16-2012 at 08:04 PM..
Old 08-16-2012, 11:24 PM
And to list a few others who haven't been mentioned yet:

Charlie Meadows/Karl Mundt (John Goodman) from Barton Fink
The nihilists (Peter Stormare, Flea and Torsten Voges) from The Big Lebowski
The CIA officers (J.K. Simmons and David Rasche) from Burn After Reading
Old 08-17-2012, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
I'll try to go with some that haven't been mentioned yet:

Bernie Bernbaum (John Turturro) in Miller's Crossing
Carl Showalter (Steve Bucsemi) in Fargo
Wendell (Garret Dillahunt) in No Country for Old Men
Osborne Cox (John Malkovich) in Burn After Reading
Sy Ableman (Fred Melamed) in A Serious Man
Those are great choices.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:33 AM
I loved Buscemi in Fargo. What a delightfully stupid and despicable character.

I forgot about Malkovich as Osbourne. Played the burnout dickhead to perfection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JlG7q-ld8M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO8roISHjJo

Brilliant!

And with The Dude, even though he is an icon, the stoner has been done to death in movies. If you think about it, The Dude is just Spicoli all grown up.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:12 AM
This is my top 10 favorite characters from a Coen Brothers movie.

10. Birdy Abundas
9. Ed Crane
8. Carla Jean Moss
7. Ed Tom Bell
6. Carson Welles
5. Walter Sobchak
4. Jerry Lundegaard
3. LaBoeuf
2. Llewyn Moss
1. The Dude

Keep in mind that I've only seen a handful of their movies. No Country For Old Men, The Big Lebowski, Fargo, Burn After Reading, Blood Simple, True Grit and The Man Who Wasn't There. And the reason why no characters from Blood Simple appear on the list is it's been a long time since I've seen the movie. Need to give it a rewatch. And as for Burn After Reading, I like several of the characters but I hate how they are treated and I despise how the movie ends. So I can't and don't want to include anyone from that movie because of that.

Also, sorry, but Marge Gunderson is overrated!
Old 08-17-2012, 03:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Also, sorry, but Marge Gunderson is overrated!
Blasphemy, Marge is a gem. If anything, The Dude is overrated for the reason I posted.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:17 AM
Jesus from The Big Lebowski
Old 08-18-2012, 04:06 AM
Number 1 for me is easily Walter from the Big Lebowski. He was goddamn hilarious because he looked out of place, but at the same time, normal with whoever he was hanging out in the group. I loved every single line of dialogue Walter delivered. He was there to help with the plot and inspire tons of comic relief. What I love the most about him is his sort of bi-polar personality. One minute he's calm, the next he's pissed off or telling Donny to shut the fuck up. He's one of the big reasons I bought the movie on blu-ray. I can never tire of watching it, as long as Walter exists. The beauty of it is that you can believe that there is a Walter in real life, and you just haven't met him yet or haven't become him yet.

My second favorite is Marge Gunderson from Fargo, played by Frances McDormand. When I saw this movie for the first time, I thought it was set in Canada, because of the accents. But I later learn that it's set in the actual town of Fargo, which is in the US. What I love about her character is how calm and honky-dory she is about everything, including seeing a murder scene. Just chats her fellow co-workers up like it's another day at the office. She seems like she's not taking it seriously, even though she really is, and that's what I love about her. But my favourite part with her is easily when

Spoiler:
she finds Stomare pushing down limbs in the wood chipper...she asks him to freeze and immediately points to the badge on her winter helmet. I laughed uncontrollably the first time I saw that scene.

And finally my third favorite is Anton Chigurh, who is the main badass of No Country For Old Men, played by Javier Bardem. I'm sure I'm one of the millions who chose him as a favorite, but he's worth it. What I love is how he is so cold, calculating and extremely unpredictable. His confrontations with his victims are some of my favorite scenes in the movie. Especially the gas station scene. Makes you nervous because you don't know if you pissed him off or bought yourself another chance at living by not dying from an airsoft bullet to your head.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:52 AM
I like Donny(Buscemi in Big Lebowski), H.I.(Cage in Raising Arizona), and I adore Everett, Pete, and Delmar(Clooney,Turturro, and Nelson)
Old 08-19-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Bear Man
My name is Forster. I practice dentistry in the Nation. Also,
veterinary arts. And medicine, on those humans that will sit
still for it.

Rooster
(indicating corpse)
You have your work cut out for you there.

Bear Man
Traded for him with an Indian, who said he came by him
honestly. I gave up two dental mirrors and a bottle of
expectorant. (beat) Do either of you need medical
attention?

Rooster
No.

Rooster straightens as if to rein his horse around but stops with a thought:

. . . It is fixing to get cold. Do you know of any place to take
shelter?

Bear Man
I have my bearskin. You might want to head to the Original
Greaser Bob's. He notched a dugout into a hollow along the
Carrillon River. If you ride the river you won't fail to see it.
Greaser Bob--Original Greaser Bob--is hunting north of the
picket wire and would not begrudge its use.

A pause.

The Bear Man tilts his head to indicate the corpse behind him.

Bear Man
I have taken his teeth. I will entertain an offer for the rest of
him.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:16 AM
Walter Sobchak-The Big Lebowski

Osborne Cox-Burn After Reading

Larry Gopnik-A Serious Man

Garth Pancake-The Ladykillers

H.I. McDunnough-Raising Arizona

Ed Crane-The Man Who Wasn't There

LeBeouf-True Grit

Jerry Lundegaard-Fargo

Tom Reagan-Miller's Crossing

Norville Barnes-The Hudsucker Proxy
Old 08-24-2012, 05:29 PM
I like the two guys who escape from jail in raising arizona haha
Old 08-25-2012, 03:01 AM
Charlie Meadows in Barton Fink - I can't exactly say he's my favorite character but I like him. If Hotel Earl is Hell, that would make Charlie a vortex of devastation that's dropped in to use Satan's shitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentasylum View Post
I like the two guys who escape from jail in raising arizona haha
Not only have those guys so influenced me as to never want to smoke cigarettes and eat cereal at the same time, they even reached so far into my conscious as to make me wonder if I'd ever wanted to smoke cigarettes and eat cereal at the same time. They are chilling in so many ways. If I were going to make a compilation video of great Coen Brother moments, it would start off with them coming out of the mud.

http://cooley.bigcartel.com/
Old 08-25-2012, 06:21 AM
A couple no one's mentioned yet: Pappy O'Daniel and Homer Stokes from "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" Small but very memorable roles.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:46 AM
Quote:

That is not fair to say. It is funny though that people who are like the characters in the Coen movies do not like their movies. I guess they do not like seeing themselves.

My fav is Ulysses Everett McGill (George Clooney) from O Brother Where Art Thou?

Followed closely by MIles (George again) in Intolerable Cruelty.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:28 PM
Is that what you actually meant to write? Because I fail to see either how anything I wrote isn't fair to say or how you're really disagreeing with any of it.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Is that what you actually meant to write? Because I fail to see either how anything I wrote isn't fair to say or how you're really disagreeing with any of it.
Well you are kind of implying that anyone who doesn't like the Coen brothers are stupid which is ridiculous. But I never said anything till now since I'm sure, at least I'd like to think, you are just joking around and not being serious.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:50 AM
No, I'm not implying that at all.

Not everyone who dislikes the Coens is stupid. But lots of stupid people do dislike them, just because the're too supid to grasp what they're doing. They're like comedic versions of Stanley Kubrick.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
That is not fair to say. It is funny though that people who are like the characters in the Coen movies do not like their movies. I guess they do not like seeing themselves.

My fav is Ulysses Everett McGill (George Clooney) from O Brother Where Art Thou?

Followed closely by MIles (George again) in Intolerable Cruelty.
You know, I really enjoy Intolerable Cruelty. I never understood the hate for that film and think it is hilarious. And you are right, Clooney is aces in that role.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:00 AM
Impossible!

I know this is a probably a cop-out but there are just too many to choose from. And further, how do you separate the character that's on paper with the performance of the actor/actress?
Old 09-06-2012, 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
Damn we're in a tight spot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe15 View Post
I know this is a probably a cop-out but there are just too many to choose from. And further, how do you separate the character that's on paper with the performance of the actor/actress?
I don't disagree. It's worth saying that Joel or Ethan stated in an interview that Jeff Bridges didn't ad lib any of The Dude. They said that every single "man", "um" and all the fillers in the script were written exactly that way on page. I'm only mentioning this because I thought it was hella awesome on both Bridges and The Coens.

Last edited by The Postmaster General; 09-06-2012 at 11:59 PM..
Old 09-07-2012, 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postmaster General View Post
Damn we're in a tight spot!
My hair!
Old 09-07-2012, 06:11 PM
"Oh yaa?"

"Yaa."

Firgoo
Old 09-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Pretty much every character in The Big Lebowski is the winner for me, but if I had to pick one from that film, it would be Walter.

Outside of a few characters from their recent stuff, the best characters have been from their 80's and 90's output.

I want the Coens to put John Goodman, Steve Buscemi, and John Turturro in their films again. Even though several of their 2000's films are good to great, they just don't feel like Coen Brothers films to me without any of those 3 actors in them.