Old 09-12-2010, 06:38 AM
Oblivion

"The Departed" Writer to Pen "Oblivion" Sci-Fi Movie

Walt Disney Pictures has hired William Monahan, the Oscar-winning screenwriter of "The Departed," to pen a big screen version of the futuristic adventure graphic novel "Oblivion."

Plot: In a future where the Earth's surface has been irradiated beyond recognition, the remnants of humanity live above the clouds, safe from the brutal alien Scavengers that stalk the ruins. But when surface drone repairman Jak discovers a mysterious woman in a crash-landed pod, it sets off an unstoppable chain of events that will force him to question everything he knows.

SPOILERIZED FOR SIZE (BIG)

Spoiler:

The new movie will be the next project for "Tron: Legacy" helmer Joseph Kosinski, who has spent the last year working on the story while putting the finishing touches on "Tron."

Source: Deadline
Old 09-12-2010, 08:48 PM

Sounds pretty damn cool
Old 09-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Looks pretty damn good.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:14 PM
I'm a little surprised we haven't heard more about this project. While I'm iffy on Cruise's involvement, having Morgan Freeman and Nicolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister) in the cast cements my interest.

What are everyone else's thoughts?
Old 09-02-2012, 07:46 PM
The current IMDB description is:
Quote:
A court martial sends a veteran soldier to a distant planet, where he has to destroy the remains of an alien race. The arrival of an unexpected traveler causes him to question what he knows about the planet, his mission, and himself.
This sounds awesome.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus9 View Post
The current IMDB description is:This sounds awesome.
It certainly does. Filming finished last month, so that might explain why we haven't been hearing much about this. However, I did read somewhere that a trailer will be coming out in the next few weeks. I am also curious to see the graphic novel Kosinski wrote that was the inspiration for the movie.

With this, Elysium, Pacific Rim, Gravity, and Looper, the renaissance of good, original sci-fi we've been getting over the past few years will be in full swing.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:27 PM
First official poster
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hr_Oblivion_1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	11052  
Old 12-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Most anticipated next year for me. Crossing my fingers for an improvement in dialogue and story over Tron Legacy (which I still dig quite a bit).

Didn't think Kosinski could live up to his Daft Punk coup for Tron Legacy but he did. M83 doing a score to a post-apocalyptic movie instantly makes this a must-watch for me.

Digging the poster.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:31 PM
Sounds like a dark and gritty Jetsons reboot.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:31 AM
First trailer for Tom Cruise's sci-fi action film Oblivion arrives - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2rf
Old 12-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Well that was different I am not really sure what to think.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderStorm View Post
Well that was different I am not really sure what to think.
Yeah, very different.

There's lots of potential ... so my fingers are crossed that it can deliver ...
Old 12-08-2012, 05:06 PM
This is what I'm talking about. After so many technological advancements in the field of special effects, it's good to see them used effortlessly in something original. Even if this film sucks--which I doubt it will--at least it'll be visually appealing.

*Also, hopefully this does well at the box-office so more studios will fund more scifi projects.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:47 PM
Hmm. Interesting, if not completely original. Reminds me of I Am Legend, but with much more of a sci-fi angle.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:06 PM
I don't see I Am Legend at all.

I think the movie looks incredible and this is definitely #3 on my list of movies I'm looking forward to most in 2013!
Old 12-08-2012, 11:51 PM
I got a better feel after watching the trailer a few more times, and I am down for this.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:52 AM
It's all in his head.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corran horn View Post
It certainly does. Filming finished last month, so that might explain why we haven't been hearing much about this. However, I did read somewhere that a trailer will be coming out in the next few weeks. I am also curious to see the graphic novel Kosinski wrote that was the inspiration for the movie.

With this, Elysium, Pacific Rim, Gravity, and Looper, the renaissance of good, original sci-fi we've been getting over the past few years will be in full swing.
I was going to say the exact same thing. I've really missed great orginal sci/fi, hell I've just missed "good" sci/fi. We got a taste of it in 2009 with District 9, Moon, Star Trek and Avatar. Prometheus for me was kinda disappointing. I just hope to God all of these movies in 2013 are good!
Old 12-11-2012, 04:58 AM
Looks great love the HI-DEF look and i will likely see it but it reminds me of WALL-E
Old 12-11-2012, 06:58 AM
It does look good. ,but l havet seen any trailers yet where l live and god of war what you wrote in your post was really good
Old 12-11-2012, 03:29 PM

Damn this could be really good.