Old 09-10-2012, 01:05 PM
A Place Beyond the Pines

Derek Cianfrance and Ryan Gosling reteam for new film.

Stars - Ryan Gosling, Bradley Cooper, Eva Mendes

First Clip of Gosling and The Place Beyond the Pines - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-1Zp

First Trailer - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2uZ

Last edited by P1NSTR1PEZ; 03-04-2013 at 01:56 PM..
Old 09-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Second Clip from A Place Beyond the Pines added - showcases Bradley Cooper in a hospital bed - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-1Zp
Old 09-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Cant wait for this. Really liked Blue Valentine and this has been getting good reviews

When is this gonna be released? I've read conflicting reports that it might be released in 2013
Old 09-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Stunt motorcycle driver turned bank robber, is this the sequel to Drive??

Very serious though...I dont know why but I really dig the title.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Derek Cianfrance talks about A Place Beyond the Pines - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-20i
Old 09-10-2012, 09:33 PM
The title is a reference to where it is filmed - upstate New York town of Schenectady
Old 09-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Saw it at TIFF and it's probably the best film I've seen since 2007. Those clips are safe to watch, but I fear that the eventual trailer may give away too much. It's the kind of thing you want to know as little about as possible going in.

And echo, I'm pretty sure it's going to be released in 2013. Focus already has a huge plate of films on their hands and I imagine they will save this one for next Oscar season. It's a shame, because I think out of all of their contenders, this would have the best chance at getting some big nominations.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
Saw it at TIFF and it's probably the best film I've seen since 2007. Those clips are safe to watch, but I fear that the eventual trailer may give away too much. It's the kind of thing you want to know as little about as possible going in.

And echo, I'm pretty sure it's going to be released in 2013. Focus already has a huge plate of films on their hands and I imagine they will save this one for next Oscar season. It's a shame, because I think out of all of their contenders, this would have the best chance at getting some big nominations.
What was the one in '07? TWBB?
Old 09-11-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:

I just read your brief review for it(in the TIFF thread) and man do I want to see this even more now.
And I agree with ya that its a shame they are saving it for 2013(same with ONly God Forgives) but if thats the case then DAMN, Gosling is gonna have one hell of a year next year.(also gotta mention Gangster Squad)
Old 09-12-2012, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xseanymacx View Post
What was the one in '07? TWBB?
Any of Jesse James, TWBB, No Country and Zodiac. The Place Beyond the Pines is the first film I've seen since those came out that has been on that level.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Any of Jesse James, TWBB, No Country and Zodiac. The Place Beyond the Pines is the first film I've seen since those came out that has been on that level.
You just turned a heterosexual man on. Bravo.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:34 PM
Focus is releasing it on March 29th, 2013. On one hand, I'm glad, because I can't wait to see it again. On the other hand, it seems like a strange time to release it. It's definitely something that could be an awards contender and probably not something that is going to see huge box-office success in March.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:06 PM
I'm so glad this is coming out in March. All the great word I've been hearing from schmoes here and other friends have me dying to see this and I was afraid I would have to wait till fall next year. I'm going to try and go in blind if I can help it.

My friends were surprised though at the mixed reception the film has gotten in some of the press. All of them thought for sure it would get rave reviews but it seems to be splitting on an Assassination type of level. Which is completely fine with me .
Old 10-17-2012, 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post
My friends were surprised though at the mixed reception the film has gotten in some of the press. All of them thought for sure it would get rave reviews but it seems to be splitting on an Assassination type of level. Which is completely fine with me .
I don't know if I'd call it mixed (still at 100% on RT), but I remember a few people calling it "uneven". I guess it's uneven in the same sense that something like The Deer Hunter is uneven, but I don't want to say more as it would delve into spoiler territory. Ever since I saw it at TIFF I think about it pretty much on a daily basis. It's such an epic, ambitious, entertaining and superbly acted crime story. Cianfrance is a madman. Some of the tracking shots in this thing are mindblowing (to the point where the DP and Gosling nearly got killed). March can't come soon enough.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:39 AM
I wouldn't call The Deer Hunter uneven. I think the problem with The Deer Hunter is that it took forever for it to get going. But once it did get going, man, it was a powerful film!

This makes me wish Elysium wasn't bumped to next August. It would have made for a really stellar March between this and that.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:39 AM
I'm definitely taking a "less I know, the better" approach for this film. I'm going to avoid the incoming trailers as best as I can, and go into this film cold.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
I wouldn't call The Deer Hunter uneven. I think the problem with The Deer Hunter is that it took forever for it to get going. But once it did get going, man, it was a powerful film!
I wouldn't call it uneven either, but people have called it uneven for the same reasons that I think some will call Pines uneven (i.e., both span over a long time period and are broken up into three distinct acts). There are comparisons to other films I would make, but again, it would enter spoiler territory and I'd rather you guys go into it as blind as possible.

Last edited by Bourne101; 10-18-2012 at 10:13 AM..
Old 12-21-2012, 05:47 PM
First Trailer for a Place Beyond the Pines starring Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2uZ
Old 12-21-2012, 07:41 PM
They did a nice job with that trailer. It's a very difficult film to market because of the way it's structured, but it looks like they've found a nice way to do it. Having said that, there's no way a trailer can even begin to hint at the greatness of this movie.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:17 PM
What do you think Bourne, okay to watch the trailer? Does it give too much away? Or should I just try to wait it out?
Old 12-21-2012, 08:30 PM
I'd say go ahead. They did a nice job of not giving too much away. You also get a nice taste of the score in the second half of the trailer.

Last edited by Bourne101; 12-21-2012 at 08:35 PM..
Old 12-21-2012, 09:33 PM
"If you ride lightning, you'll crash like thunder."

Holy jesus shit balls. All ready my favorite of 2013
Old 12-22-2012, 01:09 AM

This looks INCREDIBLE. Cannot wait for this one.

And after hearing Bourne's rave review of it(among other critics as well) this is my second most anticipated film of 2013. The number one would be the other Gosling film (Only God Forgives).
Old 12-22-2012, 02:17 AM
Big fan of Cooper's. This does indeed look quite good. Definitely looking forward it. Also nice to see Eva Mendes back in a movie again. It seems like she's been MIA for a while.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:04 AM
With this and Only God Forgives, 2013 is going to be a great year for Gosling.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:46 AM
Damn this ish looks amazing..something I got from the trailer.

Spoiler:
Their kids cross paths when they grow old?

Last edited by CuatroDiablos; 12-22-2012 at 07:50 AM..
Old 12-22-2012, 08:02 AM
The trailer was great but a little too long and gave away too much story. I wish that I didn't see it. I generally don't watch trailers to movies I know I'm going to watch, but broke my rule here.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Batty View Post
With this and Only God Forgives, 2013 is going to be a great year for Gosling.
and Gangster Squad
Old 12-22-2012, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1NSTR1PEZ View Post
and Gangster Squad
That doesn't look very appealing to me for some reason. Looks like Lawless meets Dick Tracy.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:58 PM
looks like a role Gosling will own
Old 12-22-2012, 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1NSTR1PEZ View Post
looks like a role Gosling will own
I definitely agree with this.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:57 AM
I hate to be the lone dissenter in this thread, but this film was a huge disappointment! I fucking loved Blue Valentine and was expecting great things from this reteaming of Cianfrance and Gosling. The issue I had (one that was shared by my friend and a few others after the TIFF screening) was the critical narrative shift that occurs. I donít want to explain any further and potentially spoil anything, but I donít think the film ever recovers from this. So temper your expectations guys.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:48 PM
Ryan Gosling opposite Bradley Cooper in a crime/drama? I'm already excited!
Old 01-07-2013, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim View Post
I hate to be the lone dissenter in this thread, but this film was a huge disappointment! I fucking loved Blue Valentine and was expecting great things from this reteaming of Cianfrance and Gosling. The issue I had (one that was shared by my friend and a few others after the TIFF screening) was the critical narrative shift that occurs. I donít want to explain any further and potentially spoil anything, but I donít think the film ever recovers from this. So temper your expectations guys.
Wow, it's been a long time since you've been on the boards! Glad to see you're still kickin' around.

Only a few months thankfully so I guess I'll see for myself very shortly.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim View Post
I hate to be the lone dissenter in this thread, but this film was a huge disappointment! I fucking loved Blue Valentine and was expecting great things from this reteaming of Cianfrance and Gosling. The issue I had (one that was shared by my friend and a few others after the TIFF screening) was the critical narrative shift that occurs. I don’t want to explain any further and potentially spoil anything, but I don’t think the film ever recovers from this. So temper your expectations guys.
I think that's what makes it as great as it is, but I can see how you would feel that way. It won't work for everyone.

Last edited by Bourne101; 01-07-2013 at 08:39 PM..
Old 01-14-2013, 01:30 PM
Blue Valentine is probably my favorite film of the decade so far, so I'm naturally excited for everything about this project. The cast, the director, the themes it promises to explore... it's without a doubt my most anticipated release for the first half of 2013. Can't wait!
Old 03-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Check out this new clip from The Place Beyond the Pines Featuring Cooper and Mendes - http://wp.me/p2CCWq-2H0
Old 03-04-2013, 02:38 PM
New TV spot added to above link
Old 03-04-2013, 08:15 PM

Wow, that TV spot was great.

Last edited by Bourne101; 03-04-2013 at 08:37 PM..
Old 03-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Good God, this can't come soon enough. Does anyone know if the March 29th release date will only be LA/NY? Any word on expansion dates?