Old 06-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Brave

BRAVE

Directed by Mark Andrews, Brenda Chapman, and Steve Purcell (co-director)

Written by Mark Andrews, Steve Purcell, Brenda Chapman, and Irene Mecchi

Story by Brenda Chapman

Starring the voices of Kelly Macdonald, Billy Connolly, Emma Thompson, Julie Walters, Robbie Coltrane, Kevin McKidd, and Craig Ferguson

Rated PG for some scary action and rude humor

Running time of 93 Minutes

Set in Scotland in a rugged and mythical time, "Brave" features Merida, an aspiring archer and impetuous daughter of royalty. Merida makes a reckless choice that unleashes unintended peril and forces her to spring into action to set things right.

I was lucky enough to see the film last week, and although not at the highest of Pixar standards I still quite loved it. The film is gorgeous (naturally), but it also tells a very intimate and emotionally involving story. The film is simultaneously scarier and a little goofier than most other Pixar films, but it makes a very nice niche for itself and is a damn good fairy tale. This will fit well into the Disney pantheon of princess stories. Meridia is a terrific character, voiced to perfection by the lovely Kelly Macdonald.

The hint of negative early word I am hearing on it is baffling to me. Films, in my opinion, should be judged on their own merit, not whether or not they live up to some set of studio standards or expectations. Okay, it may not be as good as Up or Wall-E, but is it a good film in its own right? I absolutely think so.

A note: do not see the film in 3D. Much of it takes place at night and is thus rendered extremely dark.

Last edited by SpikeDurden; 08-01-2012 at 08:52 PM..
Old 06-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Shockingly, I have no interest in seeing this thing. To me, Pixar is very hit or miss. I loved the classics (Toy Story, Bug's Life, Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo), but wasn't a fan of their others (Cars, Wall-E, Ratatouille).
Old 06-18-2012, 02:04 PM
It doesn't look like topnotch Pixar, but it still looks alright. And hey, besides, Up didn't wow me with it's trailers/promos, so maybe this'll end up being great like Up did.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:55 PM
I never thought I'd see a time when I would skip a Pixar film two years in a row. It just looks completely average. With the talent they have, I have no doubt they will quickly get back on track, but I hope it's sooner rather than later.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:00 AM
It truly is the best looking Pixar film to date, some scenes are beautiful and the voice acting is all superb...but as a movie it is just OK..not bad but never great.

7/10
Old 06-21-2012, 12:46 PM
I am going to try to see this tomorrow. I get to see movies for free being that I work at a movie theater. It looks pretty good.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:49 PM
I am going to see this, but it looks very much like movies we have seen before. I like that Pixar is trying to get into more female themed ideas.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:07 AM

Dear Pixar,

Brave looks fantastic but that's where the good in this tale ends and the bad begins. The film itself is unBEARably mediocre and predictable. Also, great job hiding an overused and dumb story mechanic in all of your advertising. By the time you attempted to display any type of emotion, I was already ahead of you in the story and could have cared less. I ask you to please return to your top form with such greatness as Wall-E, Up, and Toy Story. Something tells me that I'll have to wait at least two years for that as next summer you shall release Monsters University, which I can only see as another toy/product machine a la Cars & Cars 2.

Sincerely, A guy who knows you can do better.

P.S. It's a BEAR Necessity that you listen to my advice.

My Rating: 5/10.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviefreek View Post
Dear Pixar,

Brave looks fantastic but that's where the good in this tale ends and the bad begins. The film itself is unBEARably mediocre and predictable. Also, great job hiding an overused and dumb story mechanic in all of your advertising. By the time you attempted to display any type of emotion, I was already ahead of you in the story and could have cared less. I ask you to please return to your top form with such greatness as Wall-E, Up, and Toy Story. Something tells me that I'll have to wait at least two years for that as next summer you shall release Monsters University, which I can only see as another toy/product machine a la Cars & Cars 2.

Sincerely, A guy who knows you can do better.

P.S. It's a BEAR Necessity that you listen to my advice.

My Rating: 5/10.
Dear Guy who knows we can do better,
We are owned by Disney now and they do not care about quality anymore. They only care about money. If Brave makes a lot of money both on the movie and other after movie stuff, you can bet your ass we are going to continue to make movies like this. We are all about the money and I like cashing fat checks.
Sincerely,
Pixar Films
Old 06-23-2012, 01:32 AM
I saw it last night. I'd give it a 7/10. I posted my review on the site. Long story short. Nice film, beautiful animation. But there are parts that are underdeveloped and the ending is abrupt and predictable. But it a good movie.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:28 AM
I actually liked it quite a bit.

8/10
Old 06-25-2012, 07:46 AM
Who doesnt want more than what is fated to them?
Beautifully animated,great voice work,charming and cute.I was completely pulled in by the films high spirited heroine
Princess Merida,with her flowing red locks,and skill with the bow and arrow.
Brave's heart is in the right place but the film does falter when it goes down a path i have seen in about a dozen
other fantasy and sci-fi films.
Scale of 1-10 a 7
Old 06-25-2012, 07:14 PM
I found it worth watching once.
Unlike other Pixar films, which I couldn't wait to see again.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Found it fairly unique and really appreciated it. First female lead for Pixar, first time I can remember the mother/daughter relationship being stressed so much in a fairy tale like this (have Disney princesses even had mothers before?), certainly not what I expected at all. Top notch art work and voice acting, but I guess that's pretty standard for Pixar.

I think they achieved what they wanted, but it's certainly not an amazing movie. 7/10.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
Found it fairly unique and really appreciated it. First female lead for Pixar, first time I can remember the mother/daughter relationship being stressed so much in a fairy tale like this (have Disney princesses even had mothers before?), certainly not what I expected at all. Top notch art work and voice acting, but I guess that's pretty standard for Pixar.
I agree with everything said here. I also thought it was really fast paced. Did not seem as long as it was. 8/10.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:01 AM
Movie Mini-Review: BRAVE

Brave

*** out of ***** (6/10) Fair

For those of you who were expecting this to be Pixar's rebound from the movie Cars 2, the film that ended their long streak of nearly perfect films, this, unfortunately, is not the case. While this is technically a better film than Cars 2, at least that film had the benefit of the characters from the first Cars, who were fun and memorable. Brave had a lot of potential for greatness, so the fact that it is, in many ways, Pixar's weakest film to date is tremendously disappointing. The movie does have many good things going for it. The characters are fairly strong thanks to uniformly excellent voice acting for every major character. The music is also quite strong, as is the overall audio presentation. Finally, the animation is quite stunning and perhaps represents Pixar's best animation yet. Where this movie ultimately falls short is in the script and in its horribly deceptive marketing. The movie is pretty strong in its first act (approximately the first half hour), which introduces us to three dimensional characters with conflicts that ring very true. Virtually all of what's been shown in the film's marketing is contained within this first part of the film. After that, the film completely changes direction and the entire PREMISE of the film is virtually abandoned in favor of a new one. I do not wish to spoil the details of this new premise, suffice it to say that it reminded me of Freaky Friday in a lot of ways, except less interesting. This new premise is never once mentioned in any of the film's marketing. The movie's central storyline, as suggested in ads, is, frankly, a lie. Many who see the film because they find the story interesting may feel cheated out of their money when they find out the story is not at all what they thought. Even when this new premise takes over, the film has many moments, including some memorablr set pieces and nice character arcs, and the movie is still mildly entertaining. There is nothing particularly bad about this portion of the film, except it is rather unoriginal, and has been done better before. Pixar is above the kind of gimmicky second premise this film presents. I sincerely hope Pixar can rebound next year with the prequel film Monsters University, but at this point they are going to have to start proving themselves all over again.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:57 AM
This was definitely the worst Pixar movie to date. Worse than Cars 2. And worse than Wall-E, which I found to be gorgeous looking but very boring. It's just such an incredibly silly tale IMO.

Spoiler:
I rolled my eyes once the mother was transformed into a bear.

And while there were a couple of nice moments, the movie was never really able to win me back from that. Some gorgeous animation, some decent voice acting, but a tale too predictable and formulaic and a movie that just seemed so silly and lame. Another big disappointment from the summer.

5/10
Old 09-13-2012, 08:38 AM
I loved it...and so did my kid.

I just don't get all the negative reviews, but to each their own.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
This was definitely the worst Pixar movie to date. Worse than Cars 2. And worse than Wall-E, which I found to be gorgeous looking but very boring. It's just such an incredibly silly tale IMO.

Spoiler:
I rolled my eyes once the mother was transformed into a bear.

And while there were a couple of nice moments, the movie was never really able to win me back from that. Some gorgeous animation, some decent voice acting, but a tale too predictable and formulaic and a movie that just seemed so silly and lame. Another big disappointment from the summer.

5/10
I strongly agree that Brave is Pixar's worst film, though I strongly disagree with your view of Wall-E (which I consider Pixar's absolute best film). Unfortunately, their second worst film is Cars 2. Pixar's next film needs to bring them back to their former glory, or my faith in them is going to be seriously shaken (as will the faith of many others who haven't lost it yet).
Old 09-24-2012, 11:08 PM
You know, I can't help but think that if this had come out 10-15 years ago, it would've been held in much higher regard... and if "A Bug's Life" came out today, people would be calling it just as soft and formulaic as they did this one. Perhaps we've unfairly put Pixar on too high a pedestal, to the point that if they don't do something that reaches for the absolute apex of animation/storytelling, it's somehow a disappointment. I'll still take their lesser works over the vast majority of Dreamworks and Fox animation efforts.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:10 AM
I'm still highly looking forward to a lot of Pixar's upcoming films. A couple of them, in particular, sound very promising like one of them that goes inside a human mind or something. And a dinosaur one sounded cool as well. And since I loved Monsters Inc, I do look forward to the upcoming sequel.

So Pixar has a chance to make a comeback. And I hope they do.

To me Up, still remains my favorite Pixar movie though Toy Story and Finding Nemo are a close 2nd and 3rd.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:15 AM
People honestly think Cars 2 was a better movie than this?
Wow...I'm shocked.

It's probably my about my 4th favourite Pixar movie so far.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoojib127 View Post
You know, I can't help but think that if this had come out 10-15 years ago, it would've been held in much higher regard... and if "A Bug's Life" came out today, people would be calling it just as soft and formulaic as they did this one. Perhaps we've unfairly put Pixar on too high a pedestal, to the point that if they don't do something that reaches for the absolute apex of animation/storytelling, it's somehow a disappointment. I'll still take their lesser works over the vast majority of Dreamworks and Fox animation efforts.
I actually never thought too highly of A Bug's Life. The way I see it, Pixar's long hot streak started with Toy Story 2 and lasted, appropriately enough, through Toy Story 3. Cars 2 ended that hot streak and Brave was not a rebound from that.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:29 PM
Just watched Brave and I am highly disappointed. Worst Pixar movie yet. Short considering the content. Not original at all. Totally devoid of the usual humor. I was so hopeful too.