Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Horror Movie talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2009, 08:02 AM
INSIDE is very fun! Though I've grown desensitized to it since the first viewing...
Old 08-29-2009, 12:02 PM
See I really wouldn't consider anything in Inside over the top. I feel it's much harsher than Hostel and Saw.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:26 PM
To me the scene with Johnny Depp in ANOES isn't so disturbing because of the blood, but because you never see exactly what it was Freddy did to him to cause that amount of bloodshed. It also bothers me how he screams out for his mom as Freddy pulls him down. That whole scene just taps into certain childhood fears of mine like no other scene in that movie. The idea of being pulled into a portal to Hell inside my bed just bothers me for some reason.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelColinCaine View Post
To me the scene with Johnny Depp in ANOES isn't so disturbing because of the blood, but because you never see exactly what it was Freddy did to him to cause that amount of bloodshed.
Maybe for you, but I myself never found the fact that we don't know what Freddy did to him disturbing. It was the blood that was disturbing.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:11 AM

Martyrs is infinitely more disturbing than Inside; and not chiefly due to violence.

As for fun, well I'm a huge fan of sadistic intrigue- so Martyrs wins on that count as well for me.

I'm about to watch The Philosophy Of A Knife; so we shall see if it is indeed more disturbing than the current wearer of the crown: Men Behind The Sun.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:35 PM
I like very disturbing films- martyrs, inside, frontiers, etc.
however, sometimes an innocent television show like Strange- where a demon in scratching up a puppy and the puppy has to spend the rest of the episode rehabilitating in a basket-that will completely undo me.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:21 PM
I'd go with Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer and The Cell for me. One for being a pretty brutal realistic way of a serial killer, and The Cell for being, when I first saw it, the most creepy and surreal movie I've seen since one of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies. I remember back in the day when I would be freaking out every time Jennifer Lopez would go into Vincent D'Onofrio's mind, just because I didn't know what the hell was going to happen.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombievictim View Post
See I really wouldn't consider anything in Inside over the top.
joke, right?
Old 09-21-2009, 08:08 PM

Ok. So I've finally watched Philosophy Of A Knife and I really wanted to see if it indeed topped Men Behind The Sun and here are my conclusions:

1) Men Behind The Sun is more about shock. Philosophy Of A Knife is more powerful.
2) Men Behind The Sun is more like an actual movie; it has a narrative and everything; along with characters and politics within the Japanese Unit of 731.
Philosophy Of A Knife is like watching a REALLY fucked up documentary and it feels like you are actually watching the horrors of Japanese Unit 731 unfold first hand.
3) They are both cold and mechanistic; though Philosophy is even more so.
4) They both make a really terrific statement about the ugliness of human cruelty; though Philosophy's message is even more bleak and pessimistic.
5) Men Behind the Sun flows faster as it is a shorter film. Philosophy is twice as long as Men(4 hours) and the beginning and end are veeeerrrrrrry slow; but the middle just flies by as you are just completely absorbed in the fuckedupness you are watching.
*SPOILERS*
6) Men still has the most disturbing scene for me- of a cat being thrown to a thousand rats and then being devoured; particularly because it was real. But that is because I love cats more than humans.
Philosophy has even worse things being done to humans than Men did. The tooth extraction scene makes Oldboy's look like a Hasbro commercial. And the way they seek to spread disease through humans; most notably placing a bacteria-ridden cockroach inside of a beautiful woman's vagina- is quite difficult to watch.
7) Some officers and medical personnel actually feel disgust and remorse for some of the things they are doing and they still go through with it which makes Philosophy slightly more disturbing than Men.

Bottom Line: It is really too close to call. But if you were gonna torture me with a scalpel like Unit 731; I'd choose Philosophy Of A Knife.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prismatic Sphere View Post
Ok. So I've finally watched Philosophy Of A Knife and I really wanted to see if it indeed topped Men Behind The Sun and here are my conclusions:

1) Men Behind The Sun is more about shock. Philosophy Of A Knife is more powerful.
2) Men Behind The Sun is more like an actual movie; it has a narrative and everything; along with characters and politics within the Japanese Unit of 731.
Philosophy Of A Knife is like watching a REALLY fucked up documentary and it feels like you are actually watching the horrors of Japanese Unit 731 unfold first hand.
3) They are both cold and mechanistic; though Philosophy is even more so.
4) They both make a really terrific statement about the ugliness of human cruelty; though Philosophy's message is even more bleak and pessimistic.
5) Men Behind the Sun flows faster as it is a shorter film. Philosophy is twice as long as Men(4 hours) and the beginning and end are veeeerrrrrrry slow; but the middle just flies by as you are just completely absorbed in the fuckedupness you are watching.
*SPOILERS*
6) Men still has the most disturbing scene for me- of a cat being thrown to a thousand rats and then being devoured; particularly because it was real. But that is because I love cats more than humans.
Philosophy has even worse things being done to humans than Men did. The tooth extraction scene makes Oldboy's look like a Hasbro commercial. And the way they seek to spread disease through humans; most notably placing a bacteria-ridden cockroach inside of a beautiful woman's vagina- is quite difficult to watch.
7) Some officers and medical personnel actually feel disgust and remorse for some of the things they are doing and they still go through with it which makes Philosophy slightly more disturbing than Men.

Bottom Line: It is really too close to call. But if you were gonna torture me with a scalpel like Unit 731; I'd choose Philosophy Of A Knife.

Damn those sound like two fucked up flicks..
Funny thing i can watch leatherface, Jason, Michael, and Freddy kill teens all day long, but put a movie like faces of death on and I'm done..
I once watched faces of death with some friends when i was like 14 or 15, when we got to the part when those people were sitting around the table trying to bash that monkeys brains in i had to walk out of the room.. call me pussy if you want but i can't watch harm being done to animals..

anyways i was seeing this girl a couple of years ago back in my college days, and she had me watch this movie called Happiess.. its not a horror flick but its the must fucked up movie i have ever seen...

Last edited by Halloweenman; 09-22-2009 at 12:34 AM..
Old 09-21-2009, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloweenman View Post
Damn those sound like two fucked up flicks..
Funny thing i can watch leatherface, Jason, Michael, and Freddy kill teens all day long, but put a movie like faces of death on and I'm done..
I once watched faces of death with some friends when i was like 14 or 15, when we got to the part when those people were sitting around the table trying to bash that monkeys brains in i had to walk out of the room.. call me pussy if you want but i can't watch harm being done to animals..
Yeah, I remember the monkey brains thing. For me the most fucked up Faces Of Death moment was watching that guy on PCP go on a killer rampage at a drug store and then getting his brains blown out.
But yeah, based on your statement, you wouldn't be able to sit through the two above flicks I reviewed.

Quote:
anyways i seeing was this girl a couple of years ago back in my college days, and she had me watch this movie called Happiess.. its not a horror flick but its the must fucked up movie i have ever seen...
Haven't seen happiness though for your sake, I hope the girl wasn't more fucked up than the movie.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prismatic Sphere View Post

Haven't seen happiness though for your sake, I hope the girl wasn't more fucked up than the movie.

LOL

oh man the stories i could tell... Ya she was about has fucked up has the movie was.. Hmmm let me put this way she worked the evening shift at the waffle house and had a pet python.. ya
had some good times with that girl good times...

Last edited by Halloweenman; 09-22-2009 at 05:17 PM..
Old 09-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloweenman View Post

anyways i was seeing this girl a couple of years ago back in my college days, and she had me watch this movie called Happiess.. its not a horror flick but its the must fucked up movie i have ever seen...

Happiness is a tough watch, I've never met a chick who was into it.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:16 AM
This thread hasn't aged well. Not into these shock value movies like I use to be.

Although I did watch this the other day out of drunken curiosity:

It goes beyond fucked up.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Oh Cutting Moments is amazing! yes, definitley fucked up.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackassFan View Post
It's not so much a horror movie, but the Australian film Bad Boy Bubby fucked me up more than anything else I've ever seen. Mother-son incest, exploitation scenes and incredibly graphic animal murder. Ugh.
Classic Aussie flick

Not to get into the gore debate, but I don't really count gorenography as horror in any shape or form. Generally it's exploitation made by film makers without the ability to get that cold chill happening down your spine in any shape or form. It's an attempt to hammer the audience into submission rather than give them sleepless nights.

Surprisingly the movies that work for me.

Ring - first viewing without knowing anything about it, you know something's coming at you but not quite what. I also have a soft spot for the U.S remake but that might be down to Naomi ...

The Exorcist - works for anyone who's had a catholic upbringing, slightly dated now.

Session 9 - disturbing on so many levels.

Paranormal Activity - the chick just standing over the bed for hours on end got to me for some reason.

New Moon - that this found an audience in any shape or form is plain disturbing in the extreme.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar Fanatic View Post
This thread hasn't aged well. Not into these shock value movies like I use to be.

Although I did watch this the other day out of drunken curiosity:

It goes beyond fucked up.
That's one hell of a poster.

Last edited by Lady Stardust; 01-18-2010 at 02:07 AM..
Old 01-18-2010, 12:06 AM
my boys at TOETAG don't get no love no mo'.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:29 AM
First one that comes to mind for me is Santa Sangre. Some pretty messed up stuff in that one.

others that have been mentioned -
Martyrs - got to me a little near the end
INSIDE - I love slashers, they are fun...usually never disturbing.
The Girl Next Door - kinda disturbing for me.
Audition - Definitely had some disturbing scenes, its up there.
August Underground's Mordum - Didn't do much for me.
The Ring - had some really creepy scenes, but I wouldn't say disturbing.
The Exorcist - was the most disturbing movie I had seen when I was younger.
I Spit On Your Grave - meh

I plan on seeing Irreversible, Salo, Visitor Q, Begotten in the near future.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:57 AM
Quote:
The Girl Next Door(2007) most disturbing fucked up shit I've seen to this day. If you think you have nerves of steel give it a try.
This is the most disturbing film I have ever seen,But even then the book it is based on is even more disturbing.

Newt C
Old 04-06-2010, 02:07 AM
That was messed up, I haven't been able to find the book. It is based on a real story which they made into a film which wasn't as graphic but a good film called An American Crime with Catherine Keener and Ellen Page.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreySlayDisplay View Post
Begotten is crazy. You are talking about this part:

This film has given me nightmares. The first time I saw this movie I was on certain hallucinatory substances. Fucked with me pretty bad. But I wouldn't go so far as saying it's a piece of shit because supposedly it was really hard to make the film look the way it does. It is hard to sit through the entire movie, though.

If anyone is interested in watching Begotten who hasn't seen it already, Google video has it, and it looks great. Not your typical compressed, pixelated bullshit. Otherwise the film is hard to obtain. If nothing else just watch the first 10 minutes. Here's the link:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...25371449473825
Oddly enough, I could take the cutting. It was when he started shitting himself that I had to turn it off.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:58 PM
The Human Centipede, First Ass To Mouth Sequence.

Looks twisted, anyone else see this? worth checking out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5eXtFfe31o
Old 07-22-2010, 11:48 PM
Hey Mopar, do you know where I could get ahold of The Human Centipede on DVD in the states?
Old 07-23-2010, 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgizzy316 View Post
Hey Mopar, do you know where I could get ahold of The Human Centipede on DVD in the states?
Borders(over the phone order).
Old 07-23-2010, 01:12 AM
cool, thanks
Old 07-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Quote:
The Human Centipede, First Ass To Mouth Sequence.

Looks twisted, anyone else see this? worth checking out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5eXtFfe31o
It was actually pretty disappointing. Dieter Laser is great as the doctor (Rest of the acting is horrible though) and the first half of the movie is suspenseful since you know what is going to happen to these people but it just gets boring and monotonous. It's really not that gory outside of a some gross surgery stuff. The centipede is grotesque and shocking at first but Tom Six can't maintain the shockingness of the creation and it just becomes as yawn worthy as the rest of the film. Maybe check out for morbid curiousity and for Laser's great show as the crazy doctor but it's not too good.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Quote:
The Girl Next Door(2007) most disturbing fucked up shit I've seen to this day. If you think you have nerves of steel give it a try.
Agreeing with this. This is the only movie I've seen where I actually had to leave the room for a minute because I couldn't stand to watch a particular scene (the cigarette scene.)
Old 12-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
It was actually pretty disappointing. Dieter Laser is great as the doctor (Rest of the acting is horrible though) and the first half of the movie is suspenseful since you know what is going to happen to these people but it just gets boring and monotonous. It's really not that gory outside of a some gross surgery stuff. The centipede is grotesque and shocking at first but Tom Six can't maintain the shockingness of the creation and it just becomes as yawn worthy as the rest of the film. Maybe check out for morbid curiousity and for Laser's great show as the crazy doctor but it's not too good.
It's not good at all.

But that's not what the film itself was shooting for. Besides the doctor, the movie had some of the worst acting I have ever seen.

To me this movie is the most disturbing out of any that I have mentioned so far. My fiancee went in the next room while he was showing the surgery he was going to perform on the projection screen to the victims.

It's quiet a crazy fucking film.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:38 AM
I just watched it for the first time tonight...

'Nuff said.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Good thread.

I recently watched Rampage and have to say it was very disturbing. Especially since it's possible for that shit to happen.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:28 PM

Philosophy Of A Knife leads the pack for me.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Session 9

The Blair Witch Project

One Hour Photo (more thriller/drama - but disturbing subject matter IMO)
Old 08-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Just this summer, I was introduced to a video online that, hands down, is the worst thing I have ever seen in my life. The fact that it's real doesn't help and probably won't fit well into this thread. However, if any of you are looking for a life altering experience, Google "The Dagestan Massacre". Make sure you watch the Live Leaks version so it's all in one shot instead of four separate segments.

Keep a pillow and a bucket nearby. This way you have something to puke in and something to shield your head from cracking when you faint.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU80 View Post
Just this summer, I was introduced to a video online that, hands down, is the worst thing I have ever seen in my life. The fact that it's real doesn't help and probably won't fit well into this thread. However, if any of you are looking for a life altering experience, Google "The Dagestan Massacre". Make sure you watch the Live Leaks version so it's all in one shot instead of four separate segments.

Keep a pillow and a bucket nearby. This way you have something to puke in and something to shield your head from cracking when you faint.
Is this something like one of those 3rd world tortutre snuff things with a bunch of 9-13 year old kids chained to the wall who then get nails hammered into the front lobe of their brains and then get raped while their having seizures?
Old 09-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Quote:

Dude this is a horror FILM site, if you have seen a snuff film of some description I suggest you advise the police, not the people in an online forum.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:19 PM
I researched the Dagestan Massacre after seeing PSU's post and it looks beyond disturbing. I haven't watched it and won't out of principal. But you all don't need to get on him about bringing this to our attention. It might not be a film but horror film busts are always looking for something that push the limit. What is something that can raise the bar for individuals (like myself) who are truly immune to horror films these days. I myself am not a fan of the Saw genre (the later ones at least) just due to the sheer gore that is used as a scare tactic. But some people are interested in real life, sick practices and events that take place in the world. It's fucked up but it's the world we live in. Makes me thankful every minute of the day that I was born where I was and live the life that I do. The next time any of us bitch about some meaningless thing like Best Buy not having the DVD that we want or a girl/boy we like not sharing the same feelings just think of The Dagestan Massacre and that you yourself could have been born in that world.

not trying to preach, this is just real talk and I'm a few drinks in.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:21 PM
The Dagestan Massacre is by no means a "snuff" film. It is the recording made by Chechnyan troops who assaulted a small village in Russia called Dagestan. Six Russian conscripts were captured during the raid. What follows on film became known as The Dagestan Massacre. It is the ritualistic beheadings of all six conscripts, save for one, who manages to run away only to be shot in the back. In Russia they broadcasted the footage on tv to advocate support against the Chechnyans'.

I didn't just happen to stumble upon a "snuff" film. The Dagestan Massacre is by no means a secret. I only posted it because people were asking what was most disturbing and believe me, this is it.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:24 AM
Also, to clarify, I got zero enjoyment from watching the video in question. Certain parts made me angry, some sad. I fought back tears and I was literally nauseous the entire time.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Also, to clarify, I got zero enjoyment from watching the video in question. Certain parts made me angry, some sad. I fought back tears and I was literally nauseous the entire time.
I wasn't riding you dude.. not at all... sorry if it came across that way I just see no parallels between real life footage of death as you describe and horror films.