Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Horror Movie talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 View Post
I wasn't riding you dude.. not at all... sorry if it came across that way I just see no parallels between real life footage of death as you describe and horror films.
No, no, it's cool. I didn't take any offense. I just don't want anybody thinking that I actually condone or am a fan of real life atrocities.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:58 PM
Old 01-10-2013, 03:18 PM
It has certainly been mentioned in this thread already (shit I may have even mentioned it) but A Serbian Film has recently really topped all precedent in terms of fucked up shit. I did not enjoy the film and didn't really understand why it was made. I talked to one of my friends from UNI who is from Serbia and tried to see if he thought the film was some expression of serbian angst and anger seeding from the 90's but that seemed to fall flat. I really don't know, but the movie is fucked. If you haven't seen it, you really don't want to. It's just fucking pointless.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:53 PM
^The point of that film is to skull-fuck political correctness and the increasing pussification of our species, while trying to be an original story according to the filmmakers. And I'd say it succeeds.

Per my review on criticker:

It gets its high marks from me solely because (and was also one of the writer/director's main intents) it sticks a bloody cock in the skull of political correctness which has become all too ubiquitous on the current entertainment landscape. Also for some nice camerawork and cool music as well.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:26 PM
I agree with you entirely. I just don't understand why that was needed. Can one really say popular media has become "pussified"? Granted it churns out more violent films, literature, and music than ever before? I don't have any data or evidence but that just seems false. Certainly people like Tipper Gore protest it all and shit but it still comes out and rapes your brain. Again i do think you're right about the purpose of the movie, i just don't understand why... It couldn't be done more artistically? It just felt lazy to me almost like they said "whats the most fucked up shit we can think of" and then just put it on screen (and i think that may be what the indeed did). And i think i'm going in circles here but what i'm getting from you is that was their intention... and i just dont fucking get that.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:48 AM
I really liked A Serbian Film. Most disturbing for me is Salo.

Some more honorable mentions:
Frontier(s)
Dogtooth
Sweet Movie
Visitor Q
Ken Park
Old 01-13-2013, 08:11 AM
Old 01-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lat er al View Post
I really liked A Serbian Film.
I just don't understand that. We're getting down to opinions on flicks here so this is obviously all my personal feeling. I don't see what there is to like. "In the end, maybe Serbian Film is just another exploitation film. Just the twisted ravings of a lunatic mind, just another P.T. Barnum, button-pushing product that can famously tote that cinema labs in Hungary and Germany refused to even print the film due to content issues. Perhaps it is an allegory for what the Bosnian War mean to generations of people. Perhaps itís a cold hard look into a desensitized world where video games morals have turned 10-year-olds into rapists and murders? Perhaps, in some ways itís all those things. But, the one thing it is not, is entertainment."
Old 01-13-2013, 05:50 PM
I just enjoyed the flow of it. I liked the way it was filmed and I liked that it didnt hold anything back. I don't think its a masterpiece, but I had fun watching it and it definitely made a pretty big impression.

For me, a horror movie doesn't need a good plot, just needs a cool atmosphere and possibly a bad ass character or 2.

Bad Boy Bubby is another pretty disturbing movie. As well as Cement Garden
Old 01-13-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Batty View Post
My fave of the millennium! The funny thing is; while it is disturbing, I just find it to be both so good and unique that I forget how disturbing it actually is.

The Strange Circus would have been up there too if it didn't get so bizarre. The first act though would be pretty disturbing for some, especially parents.